Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

SimHouse - house generator, house editor, and simple pathfinder

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by MaciejKrzykwa, Mar 14, 2016.

1. MaciejKrzykwa

MaciejKrzykwa

Hello!
    I'm creating an asset based on my university project, which was a procedural map generation.

SimHouse is:
    • House generator,
    • House in-game editor (like in The Sims series),
    • Easy to use pathfinder.
    Let me show you a short video about it:

Music: http://bensound.com, I've used characters from this free asset https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18098
    What I want from you? I want to hear your opinions about features I'm planning to add. Also I would appreciate if you can tell if it is a good idea to make something like that.

1. House generator.

It will be very easy to use. Just one click (or one function call) and you get a new random house. Of course there will be a way to customize houses to you needs. It is how you can customize a house:
    • Choose size, number of rooms, rooms sizes,
    • Select wall and floor colors (or textures) for each room (for example red walls in kitchen),
    • Select furniture for each room.
    2. In-game editor.

I want to make editor similar to the one in The Sims series. You can edit generated house or make a new one from scratch.

3. Pathfinder.

It is very simple. When a house is generated, the navigation mesh (honestly it is a rectangular grid) is generated too. With one function call it find a way from start point to target point. I know that this functionality is already inside Unity, but I want to add a very easy to use solution, because it surely helps to create a sim-like game if someone wishes to try. Or am I wrong? :p

What do you think about that? Is it something that you want to play with? Maybe there is something to add as a feature that I did not mention? I am looking forward to hear your opinions :)

HeadClot88 and kittik like this.
  2. noorbeast

noorbeast

Did you ever progress this further?

3. MaciejKrzykwa

MaciejKrzykwa

Not really.

But it doesn't mean I've abandoned it. The code is clean, so it is easy to return to this project.
    I still think that it can be used to create a cool game and probably that's the way to continue working on it - make a game which use it. However, I continue to do a lot freelancing, so I have little time to make my own games for now.