Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shouldn't shaders be included in Visual Studio 2015 projects?

Discussion in '5.2 Beta' started by movra, Jul 27, 2015.

1. movra

movra

Since Visual Studio 2015 has support for shaders, wouldn't it make sense to include them in the project files?

I can toggle Show All Files and filter .shader and .cginc and open/include the shaders. When the project files are refreshed I have to repeat that step.

vvander likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I have no problem editing shaders by double clicking them inside the unity editor which opens them in VS automatically. What specifically are you having a problem with?

3. movra

movra

I want to be able to use the quick search function (ctrl+f) in Visual Studio to find a keyword in several shaders. The quick search only works for files included in projects.

prestonmatterport and vvander like this.
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

In case Unity staff is looking at this post, I reported this issue as: (Case 715442) VSTU: Solution does not contain shader files

movra likes this.
  5. movra

movra

Oh! Go to Editor Settings, there's a new section "C# Project Generation" with a field "Additional extensions to include", There you can add "cginc;shader" and they will be included!

Guess you can close this topic and issue 715442. :oops:

Although maybe they could be included by default.

Todd-Wasson likes this.
  6. pvloon

pvloon

And don't forget .compute files :)

7. pvloon

pvloon

They forgot .compute files :(

Adding it in the additional extensions doesn't seem to be respected either

8. pvloon

pvloon

Any updates on this? It's really frustating to work on anything compute based right now :(