Search Unity

Should I still be using the 3D template in 2019?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tomglenn, Jul 16, 2019.

1. tomglenn

tomglenn

Hi folks,

I've used Unity on and off for a number of years but have recently decided to take up my game development hobby again and on launching Unity now we get the option of 2D, 3D, 3D with extras, HDRP or LWRP.

I've watched the Brackey's video on HDRP and it looks great but notice that it's still a Preview.

So my question is, should we still be using the older built-in renderer or is it relatively safe now to use LWRP/HDRP?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Probably your best bet is to stay with 2018 for year or so, until 2019 mature.
    Then, you may get to the point, where graphics will be somehow of an importance in your project.
    If so, then you can switch to new Unity.
    But you shouldn't start project from making graphics, where you don't have anything of gameplay.

3. tomglenn

tomglenn

@Antypodish Thanks for the response. I totally appreciate that you should start a project with gameplay first, that wasn't really the question. My question is, should I be starting new projects using the legacy rendering pipeline or the new scriptable rendering pipeline.

In the following Unity video, Kieran mentions that you should decide up front as upgrading your project later can be extremely time consuming.

Let me ask another way, is anyone using the new Scriptable Rendering Pipeline in production yet?

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

No, is not what person is saying. He is saying "Ideally" at the beginning of the project. And then mentioning, that you can "upgrade later". However, he highlights, that it may require lots of work, if decided to upgrade midway of the project.

So is really up to you. But I wouldn't be worry, if you starting new project.

My point is, before you even start playing with any graphics and shaders for real, you should have some decent mechanics working. That will take some time on its own, specially if you are working alone. Otherwise, chances are you will fall into trap as many devs. did, when starting with graphics first, then hitting wall with mechanics and gameplay. Or, when project is done few years later and your will realize, that graphics is outdated and need complete rework and new tech is available. :)

At current, as far I am aware HDRP has number of issues. So I wouldn't be necessary rushing to it as of yet.

5. tomglenn

tomglenn

That makes sense. If HDRP has a number of issues right now I'll stick to the legacy pipeline while I work on my core mechanics. Thanks :D

Antypodish likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

The HDRP is currently in beta, but the LWRP is ready for production. Furthermore it's been stated by the developers that the LWRP will be the replacement for the built-in pipeline and that the built-in pipeline will largely stop receiving updates.

Antypodish likes this.
  7. tomglenn

tomglenn

@Ryiah Thanks that's interesting. Is there any official word from Unity that that is the case?

8. Zarconis

Zarconis

I suppose it depends on what you're doing? I've tried an early version of 2019 beta on Windows with HDRP and for the most part everything seemed okay. 2019 on Mac is seriously unstable and just to add HDRP makes it ten times worse, I've crashed it like 30 times at this point by not really doing all that much.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Took a little bit of time to dig up the posts where it's been stated but here they are. First link mentions that the LWRP will be renamed to the URP (Universal Render Pipeline) as it's no longer just a low-end targeting pipeline. Second mentions that the existing built-in pipeline will no longer gain new functionality and will eventually be deprecated.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/lightweight-render-pipeline-is-evolving.707720/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/fee...e-render-pipelines.470095/page-5#post-3369161

Additionally, before I forget to mention this again like I did with my last post, Enlighten is currently in the process of being removed from Unity. Full details are at the link below but to summarize the part relevant to you, the final release of HDRP will not support it and built-in will lose it a year later.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/enlighten-deprecation-and-replacement-solution.697778/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    HiggsB likes this.