Search Unity

Feedback Should I just build my own network code with TLAPI for my game would it be best for performance?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TheWhispers, Dec 7, 2020.

1. TheWhispers

TheWhispers

I'm capable of building a simple dedicated server and p2p service for my game. Players are going to run their own servers and then eventually I was going to do a ranked competitive mode in the game using an external host for official servers. I know unity has networking packages and that UNet is depreciated. I really want the least overhead as possible in the net code to not piss people off in-game when they get snagged 4 feet away from another player. I want really good network performance on my end as the developer

So is the Multiplayer high level API depreciated? is it part of Unet? I really don't want middleman APIs in my net code I wanted to develop it on my own and was considering these two Unity APIs for networking.

Also can anyone weigh in on how well the high-level api performs with like 6 people on a small map?
    Could use-case optimizations be made by building it all from the Transport layer API? Is that depreciated?
    I'm not really ready to build the net code yet but I want to have an idea in the back of my head what I'm going to use for that technology when the time comes, and thanks for your time guys.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. TheWhispers

TheWhispers

After some more research I decided to go with MLAPI