Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sharing a Unity demo game? Collecting feedback?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Airmouse, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Airmouse

Airmouse

I am creating a tool using the Unity engine, and I have been putting a lot of effort towards trying to get people to try it out and submit their feedback.

More specifically I have been developing a free Unity + SteamVR tool designed specifically for cinematic motion capture (optimized for artists, game devs, enthusiasts):

And a short movie created using the tool (one night when I was bored):

Currently I have my demo shared from a Google drive, and I have been trying to reach out to members on various forum sites who might have an interest in using it.

Sadly this has taken a long time with less than 19 confirmed downloads in the last 3 months.

And even though my game lacks popularity and feedback I am still very actively updating it with fixes and features.

I think it's just about ready for some real beta testing and I really want to get it out there.

But how? Where? I don't wish to use Steam right now and was hoping to find something better than current Google drive + Youtube?

Are there any Unity friendly platforms that make it easy for users find and test games (demos, betas) to rate them and/or share their feedback?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  2. Billy4184

Billy4184

I see this is a tool for blender, but make some kind of 'integration' for Unity and post it in the forums (WIP or asset store sections). By far the best traffic of Unity users you'll find anywhere, and this tool looks like it would be useful for a lot of Unity users. Animations are good quality.

In terms of getting people interested, you really need to focus your material on clearly communicating 2 things a) what problem does this solve that many people have and b) what does it feel like to use it. I had to do a couple of passes on your page to get a good idea of what I was looking at and what it was all about.

3. Airmouse

Airmouse

Hey Billy, thanks for taking the time to look at some of the features. I hope to soon create a more comprehensive set of videos to demonstrate it's workflow and some in-game design.

And I think you are exactly correct about focusing on those two topics.

---
    backstory: A few years ago I was trying to create some VR experience with human animations. But I found it difficult using a Kinect, So I tried some StreamVR based mocap software and still it required me to go over a single take with many multiple steps such as re-targeting, tracking smoothing, finger animations, face animation, lipsync and so many other steps I almost lost interest.

I felt I could design my own tool (and workflow) to eliminate the need for all those steps and do most of it automatically (or in an enjoyable way). So for the past year I have been developing a tool packed with automation and features to negate many of the mundane tasks and let the artist focus on creating instead of repeating.

The term "getting into character" may apply here as literally connecting yourself to an avatar as completely as possible and then looking into a (VR) mirror while you act out a script. And I totally added some Unity projects on Github that let users include their own custom avatars, props and scenes just for this purpose!

a) I originally developed this tool to solve a need I had to create some VR training videos, but since has matured into a functional story telling system with the ability to export entire compilations as standard filetypes allowing applications such as Blender to import the recorded media. This is useful for anyone who would like to create VR storyboards or experiences, or for character modelers who would like to "become" their creations (and fully supports ReallusionCC3 and Makehuman).

It is also tailored to users who would like a means to quickly add character animations into a Blender movie or short film (using the included SceneLoader.blend automation script). And can easily be used to generate .fbx files for use in Unity games as well.

b) The user experience ranges, depending on if wearing feet and hip trackers (optional elbows, knees, chest) you may achieve an enhanced tracking experience as the avatar may be connected to the player's 11 points of body tracking, Even the VivePro Eye is fully supported for gaze and blink tracking. Extra trackers or not It's still lots of fun, and being able to record then immediately playback in VR has many interesting uses, while being able to create stories and add multiple characters (and props) can be extremely entertaining! :)

I have included a bunch of hand picked default models and scenes so anyone can get started right away.
    ---

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Billy4184 likes this.
  4. frosted

frosted

I thought the gorilla vid was funny, but if you're looking for "cinematic motion capture" - i don't think this sells it. Neither video really looks great, both need a lot of cleanup to get anywhere close to polished presentation.

Frankly, both look a little worse than some existing VR game controller input in realtime. For canned cinematic - I would expect something way, way better looking than these.

MadeFromPolygons and Airmouse like this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Put links about it in your signature on a forum you participate in. If you post a good amount and you're helpful or otherwise a positive force on the forum, people will check out what you're working on in your signature. I post on here a lot, and as an example if I put something like this in my forum signature I'm sure I'd get the response of at least 100 people within a few months.

There are also the Works in Progress and Made with Unity forums here you can make threads in as well.

Airmouse likes this.
  6. Airmouse

Airmouse

I agree, both of those videos were created using the Unity engine in realtime from the storyboard. Neither have had any polishing nor where they rendered with any high quality engine (like Cycles).

I have not had much time to put towards creating many final renders, mostly I have spent my time improving gameplay and the interface (and working a full time job), and I am by far no artist or director (only a feeble programmer).

But here's a sample I created a few weeks ago that I rendered using Cycles engine, it leaves much to be desired but I think shows slightly improved quality: