Search Unity

Setup for scoped registries (private registries)

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by rz_0lento, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Martin_Gonzalez

Martin_Gonzalez

Undestood!

Is there any template for unity packages? What I mean is, I want to create a package, where should be the package.json? Can I include the manifest.json of this package to merge it with the container app?

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

In 2019.3, we are adding a feature to create a new package from the Package Manager UI. This may be improved to offer templates for the common package types. TBD.

In the meantime, I suggest you read the *Custom Packages* section of our user manual to get a full grasp of a package constitution: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CustomPackages.html

Regards,

Pascal

3. Martin_Gonzalez

Martin_Gonzalez

Great, it worked.

I've a question about how packages can collide each other, for example:

- com.companyA.Product downloads a library and has an AndroidManifest.xml
    - com.companyB.Product also downloads a library with an AndroidManifest.xml

Are those AndroidManifest considered when compiling? I ask this because there are a lot of Plugins that modifies things and when you want to use two plugins you have to start doing nasty things to make it work.

4. Martin_Gonzalez

Martin_Gonzalez

And another question, If my com.company.PackageA has as dependency of com.company.PackageB, should I put that dependency in the package.json?

5. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Reading the documentation, it looks like Unity is managing this complexity for you (i.e. merging all Android manifests into one): https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/android-manifest.html

But I'm not an Android platform user/developer so I don't know if there are potential merge risks or if there are any caveats!

Pascal

6. mgiliazov

mgiliazov

Hi, in this forum thread it's said that at the moment it's not possible to aim Package Manager to a private npm registry. What I need is the npm registry with restricted access (so only our company employees have access to load packages), but still available for Unity Package Manager. Is this the same as "private registry" or it is a different thing and possible to reach?

In this manual https://medium.com/@markushofer/run-your-own-unity-package-server-b4fe9995704e it's said that we can register users on our npm server, then login locally and that's it - Unity will be able to grab our packages + we've restricted the access to the registry.

What am I missing? Will this work? Is this enough for my needs?
    Thanks!

7. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @mgiliazov ,

To configure a private registry (we say scoped registry in Unity Package Manager jargon), please refer to this documentation to complement the blog post you shared.

Sadly, the Package Manager does not support authenticated request for the moment. This is something we have on our roadmap. I believe, the authentication process mentioned in the blog you posted relates to publishing packages, not consuming them via the Package Manager.

Regards,

Pascal

8. bdovaz

bdovaz

How far is it? It's really critical for organizations because we can't expose all our codebase over the internet.

I would also want to know how are you going to implement it.

In my case I'm using verdaccio and it has multiple authentication types.

https://verdaccio.org/docs/en/authentification

https://verdaccio.org/docs/en/plugins#authorization-plugins

In my ideal situation I would want to configure in Verdaccio two modes:
    - LDAP: organization internal.
    - htpasswd (or similar): for external users.

I would want to know where this settings would be configured and stored on Unity side.

9. dzamani

dzamani

It doesn't seems like it's coming out soon enough for your needs (I suppose it would be somewhere in 2020 Q3).
    In the meanwhile if you really want to protect your codebase, you have the option of putting it on a local network in your organization or on a Google Cloud and then whitelist ip address you want.
    That's the closest option you have at the moment for package authentication.

MaggerFabio likes this.
  10. mgiliazov

mgiliazov

Hi, thanks for the answer, sad to hear, but at least now it's clear. So I guess we'll go with the git-repo approach for now, as it supports ssh-keys we already have configured on our machines. The only disadvantage is the need to set each package manually in the manifest.json, but it's minor in comparison with the security issues with the npm-way.

11. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

To fix this problem is also on our roadmap :)

12. bdovaz

bdovaz

You were at today's package manager talk, weren't you? Me too! I see from the questions you asked that we suffered the same problems.

13. adam_helios

adam_helios

Hi Pascal, Just wondering if there is any update on when we might expect support for authentication? Really excited to start leveraging the UPM for our internal packages, but blocked by the lack of authentication.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  14. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @adam_helios,

You are not the only one reporting this feature as a blocker to introduce the Package Manager in your company. Support for authentication is very high on our list. Our goal is to have this available for 2020.1 (2020 LTS).

Regards,

Pascal

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    codestage likes this.
  15. Gunvald

Gunvald

Hi,

Pleas prioritize adding the support for authentication. Will it be available in the beta release? Thanks!

16. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Gunvald, Yes, if we make this feature in time for 20.1, it will be available in 20.1 beta releases.

Zamaroht and codestage like this.
  17. sbinter_levelex

sbinter_levelex

We are very excited at the prospect of having authenticated npm registries be supported. We have explored several options from LAN hosted npm to doing perforce imports for packages to large composite package drops. We're not equipped due to the rather unique situation we're in to reasonably do a VPN solution for everyone and imports come with their own complications.

We're very much hoping that this will be included in the 2020.1 release and will be anxious to begin testing with it as soon as possible!

18. Kaz-Luska

Kaz-Luska

I just wanted to second the request for auth on the package manager. We would also love this feature to be back-ported to 2018 and 2019 LTS versions if possible. We want to switch to sharing our internal code and tools through package manager as well as allow some of them to be accessible to third parties but in order to do so we need to have authentication support in package manager.

Is there any way for us to have visibility on the progress of the auth implementation feature ?
    We would love to jump on it as soon as it's available for testing.

19. auchaper

auchaper

Same here,
    I am working for a big company with a lot of security issues.
    Definetely, using authentication for the package manager is mandatory for us.
    It will be much apreciated if it is compatible with 2018.LTS and 2019.LTS because all our developpement in terme of application are based on LTS version. Right now we are still using the 2017.4 because of some trouble with HoloLens even if we are targeting 2018.4 for our next releases.
    We definetely need it for 2018.4 LTS.

If you have any beta or demo version, i would be interested.

20. adam_helios

adam_helios

Great news!

21. auchaper

auchaper

By the way, I forgot to mention that our Devops pipeline is using Artifactory.
    So we set an npm repository public on it to make packages available.
    After discussing with the Artifactory team, we noticed that the /-/all command was remove from artifactory because it's deprecated by NPM.

Any chance to change the listing of the packages on UPM using the search function of NPM instead of the /-/all ?

More personnaly, I did not succeed to retrieve my package internally as it appears that unity does not take into account my custom cacert.pem file.
    I followed the instruction based on Network Issues on the documentation but at the end, it did not work.
    Any chance to have help with this ?

22. daschatten

daschatten

I successfully installed verdaccio and the /-/all command works in my browser. Though my test package "com.mypackages.testpackage" is not shown in the package manager ui. Manual installation via manifest.json works fine. Any hints what could be wrong?

Scoped registry entry:

Code (CSharp):
    1. "scopedRegistries": [
    2.     {
    3.       "name": "mypackages",
    4.       "url": "http://192.168.1.50:4873/",
    5.       "scopes": [
    6.         "com.mypackages"
    7.       ]
    8.     }
    9.   ],

wcoastsands likes this.
  23. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Kaz-Luska & @auchaper
    I can update you that this feature is currently being worked on. In terms of having visibility, do you have an account manager at Unity? If not, I'm afraid we cannot provide such a level of support on the public forums.

We are looking into a backport for 2019 LTS but a 2018 LTS backport is unlikely. If you would like to push the priority of this request, please go through your account manager.

Yes our search is being updated to support the npm /-/v1/search route as you rightly pointed out the /-/all route is now deprecated.

Would you mind creating a new forum post about this? It would be easier to track that way.

Hi @daschatten,

This appears to be a regression, thanks for reporting. The UI should display packages fetched from the /-/all endpoint. I have notified the UI team about this.

codestage likes this.
  24. daschatten

daschatten

Any hint when this gets fixed?

25. ReadPan_

ReadPan_

is there any version of unity support this feature?

26. daschatten

daschatten

@samuelb_unity

Currently i'm building several packages and publish them to verdaccio which is registered as private registry in my unity projects. This works fine except for big packages. There seems to be a node.js limit of 2GB when using npm publish. Npm build works fine. Do you know a solution for that? How do you handle this internally?

27. adam_helios

adam_helios

Any updates on the authentication issue?

Arik_st and andysaia like this.
  28. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@adam_helios ,

A first basic implementation (no UI) to support authentication on scoped registries has landed in Unity 2020.1.0a17. We are evaluating a backport in 19.3.

Regards,

Pascal

29. adam_helios

adam_helios

Excellent! Thanks for the update!

30. bdovaz

bdovaz

Can you explain how it works? We would be interested to know how we can integrate it with Azure Artifacts.

31. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

There is an issue with the feature in the alpha build. I'm doing a bit of refactoring to fix the issue right now. I'll post when the feature is updated. I don't want to document something now that will change next week. Can you poke me back in two weeks if I forget to post the details here? Sorry and thank you for your patience! :)

32. bdovaz

bdovaz

No problem, thanks.

33. MartinZier

MartinZier

Posting here to receive updates on this thread.
    We're very interested how to authenticate now with a foreign registry so we can setup our devops accordingly.
    If you can share some insights how packages/system configuration have to look like to successfully authenticate, that would be pretty helpful.
    Also is this feature scheduled to be backported to 2019.3/2019.4?

Thanks!

34. cocapasteque

cocapasteque

Following thread as well :)

35. MaggerFabio

MaggerFabio

Hello Pascal,

I've been going through the thread and just managed to get Verdaccio working. I'm figuring things out as I learn about them and just reached the auth step, as I'd like to make this exclusive to people in the company (I assume we can limit access following something similar as @dzamani suggested above regarding Google Cloud, but I'd like to try a proper authentication flow, if it's available in the current Alpha version).

Any updates regarding how the auth works? (I'm experimenting around with 2020.1.0a21)

36. bdovaz

bdovaz

Ping;)

adam_helios, kacruz and cocapasteque like this.
  37. cocapasteque

cocapasteque

Arik_st and adam_helios like this.
  38. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @daschatten,

That is a known limitation of npm which is unlikely to change any time soon. npm is typically used for publishing and consuming small modules of code compared to Unity packages which may contain collections of Assets or even entire Unity projects. This is something we are aware of and we're working on our own solutions internally. I'm afraid I can't go into details yet but rest assured we will provide a solution for users one day. So far, we haven't seen packages larger than a few hundred megabytes but of course anything can and will happen as the package ecosystem grows!

Edit: for the time being, you should be able to increase the amount of memory given to npm using the
    --max-old-space-size
    flag. In theory you are limited only to the amount of memory on your machine since npm reads the whole package into memory during publishing.

39. daschatten

daschatten

Thanks for your response!

I tried "--max-old-space-size=6192" with npm publish and it doesn't help:

Code (CSharp):
    1. npm ERR! code ERR_FS_FILE_TOO_LARGE
    2. npm ERR! File size (3697219788) is greater than possible Buffer: 2147483647 bytes
    Any idea?

40. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

41. cocapasteque

cocapasteque

@okcompute_unity Another small ping, is it possible to get some infos on the basic auth for scoped registries :)

atranson, adam_helios and luizb_unity like this.
  42. cocapasteque

cocapasteque

@okcompute_unity I'm trying one more time to get a small update on this, as my recent search through the interwebs didn't really get me any of the answers I was looking for.
    Is it possible to have an ETA for the backport to 2019.3 ? It is a really interesting feature and I can't wait to setup the devops to integrate all our internal libraries seamlessly :)

nilsdr likes this.
  43. nilsdr

nilsdr

will land any day now:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/npm-registry-authentication.836308/

44. cocapasteque

cocapasteque

45. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

46. hugeandy

hugeandy

Hi,

I'm trying to use Github Packages to host my Unity packages. One of the requirements to use npm on Github packages
    is using scoped package names, which has meant that I have had to change name field in package.json from 'com.organisationname.package-name' to '@organisation/com.organisation.package-name'

However, after a lot of experimenting it seems that this naming is incompatible with UPM, as it throws an error when importing packages with a '@' or a '/' in the package name (the error is : "package name '....' is invalid").

I believe UPM also uses the /-/all npm endpoint to search a scoped registry - is this true? If so, this will be another nail in the coffin for using Github packages, as I believe Github doesn't support that end point and responds with a "method not allowed error"

Any pointers on this? Or is anyone else successfully using Github packages for Unity packages?

Cheers!

47. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

48. hugeandy

hugeandy

Perfect, that must have been the one combination of 'where to put the bloody scope if I can't put it in the name' that I didn't try! Thanks for the speedy reply!

49. WarrenGame

WarrenGame

Hi, how do I set the default manifest.json, now I have to set this code for each project’s manifest.json

"scopedRegistries": [
    {
    "name": "Tools",
    "url": "http://xx.xx.xx.xx:4873/",
    "scopes": [
    "com.xxx",
    "com.xx"
    ]
    }
    ],

50. danUnity

danUnity

Any news on that? Does the Package Manager support authenticated requests now? Where the doc about that?