Search Unity

Official Npm registry authentication

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by okcompute_unity, Feb 26, 2020.

1. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello Package Manager users!

Starting from Unity 2019.3.4f1, you'll be able to configure NPM authentication for your scoped registries. This is a feature that was heavily requested by our enterprise customers.

Attention: Before we explain how to configure your authentication token, I just want to warn we are making this feature available in its MVP form to unblock some of you. That means, a couple of manual operations are required (i.e. not really user-friendly). The end goal is to expose a login UI in the Hub. Users will only have to enter their credentials and the rest would be taken care of.

Below, I copied the internal draft documentation sent to our technical writer to be added to the Unity user manual. Please note this will be greatly re-formatted and improved when finalized.

**********************************************************************************************
    Introduction

The introduction of scoped registries enabled enterprise users to share their own custom packages inside their studio. For most studios and companies, anonymous access within a local network is sufficient to fulfill their security requirements. Nevertheless, some users want more control and enable authentication on a user base. Most off-the-shelve or open-source registry solutions support npm authentication through a persistent token. This document explains how to configure UPM to enable this feature.

Feature availability

The feature was introduced in Unity 2019.3.4f1 and 2020.1.0a25.

Manual login

Users will need to fetch their authentication token via npm command-line interface and manually copy and paste the token in UPM global configuration file.

1) Fetch the npm authentication token

Warning: Inconsistent login flow across vendors

Registry vendors may have different login flow. The login procedure described below is the official npm login flow. Some vendors, like JFrog (Bintray and Artifactory), require different steps to generate the authentication token. Please, consult their respective documentation to make sure you go through the proper process to fetch the token.

1. Install npm locally on your machine.
    2. Login to the registry using the npm login command-line. In a terminal type this command:

npm login --registry <registry url>

3. Locate the generated .npmrc file.
    4. Open the .npmrc file. Extract the token (look for the AUTH_TOKEN label in the examples below. Depending on the registry, the token string will be different (guid, token, or a proprietary formatted string).

Here are some examples of .npmrc files:

.npmrc with _authToken attribute

registry=https://registry.com:1234/pathname/
    //registry.com:1234/pathname/:_authToken=<AUTH TOKEN>

.npmrc with _auth attribute (Base64 encoded)

registry=https://registry.com:1234/pathname
    _auth=<AUTH TOKEN>
    email=<EMAIL>
    always-auth=true

2) Create a Unity Package Manager user configuration file

This section explains how to set up UPM configuration so every request made to the registry includes proper authentication information.

2.1) Unity Package Manager user configuration file location

Locate .upmconfig.toml in your home directory:

Windows: %USERPROFILE%/.upmconfig.toml (Usually %SystemDrive%\Users\<your username>/.upmconfig.toml)
    Windows (System user) : %ALLUSERSPROFILE%Unity/config/ServiceAccounts/.upmconfig.toml
    MacOS and Linux: ~/.upmconfig.toml (usually /Users/<your username>/.upmconfig.toml)

If the file does not already exist, create one.

2.2) User configuration file schema

2.2.1 Schema
    This is the schema for the configuration npmAuth attribute:

Token based authentication (Bearer)

[npmAuth."<REGISTRY URL>"]
    token = "<AUTH TOKEN _authToken in .npmrc)>"
    email = "<EMAIL>"
    alwaysAuth = <BOOLEAN>

Base64 authentication (Basic)

[npmAuth."<REGISTRY URL>"]
    _auth = "<BASE64 ENCODED TOKEN (_auth in .npmrc)>"
    email = "<EMAIL>"
    alwaysAuth = <BOOLEAN>

2.2.1 Details

registry-url (required) : Url for the registry (ex: https://my.registry:8081/some/path) .
    token or _auth (required): The authentication token generated from login to the npm registry. See the previous section to understand how to generate and fetch the token.
    email (optional): User email.
    alwaysAuth (optional): Set to true if the package metadata and tarballs and not located on the same server. Typically, you'll copy the value from the generated .npmrc if present (see the previous section).

2.2.2 Example

[npmAuth."http://localhost:8081/repository/test"]
    token = "NpmToken.2348c7ea-6f86-3dbe-86b6-f257e86569a8"
    alwaysAuth = true
    [npmAuth."http://localhost:4873"]
    token = "eaJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJyZWFsX2dyb3VwcyI6WyJwYXNjYWxsIl0sIm5hbWUiOiJwYXNjYWxsIiwiZ3JvdXBzIjpbInBhc2NhbGwiLCIkYWxsIiwiJGF1dGhlbnRpY2F0ZWQiLCJAYWxsIiwiQGF1dGhlbnRpY2F0ZWQiLCJhbGwiLCJwYXNjYWxsIl0sImlhdCI6MTU3NDY4ODQ5MCwibmJmIjoxNTc0Njg4NDkxLCJleHAiOjE1Nzk4NzI0OTB9.qF8_0ue1ppraWLkReT06AMG6R7RZuDiV2XinxMkdSo0"
    "
    [npmAuth."https://api.bintray.com/npm/joe-company/my-registry"]
    token = "aGFzY2FsbDo4ZWIwNTM5NzBjNTI3OTIwYjQ4MDVkYzY2YWEzNmQxOTkyNDYzZjky"
    email = "joe@company.com"
    alwaysAuth = true

[npmAuth."[URL]https://base64.registry.com[/URL]"]
    _auth = "aGFzY2FsbDo4ZWIwNTM5NzBjNTI3OTIwYjQ4MDVkYzY2YWEzNmQxOTkyNDYzZjky"
    email = "[EMAIL]joe@company.com[/EMAIL]"
    alwaysAuth = true

**********************************************************************************************

Again, really sorry about the crude/raw form of this feature for the moment but I hope this will still be helpful for some of you.

Pascal

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  2. nilsdr

nilsdr

awesome, thanks! hoping 2019.3.4f1 will land today

3. Adrian

Adrian

Great to see this land!

Have you considered adding project-based authentication, like the undocumented "_auth" property in the project manifest allowed in earlier Unity versions?

Use case: When collaborating on a Unity project with others, who are not necessarily technically versed, I would like to make the process of checking out the project as frictionless as possible. Including a repository token directly in the project's manifest, people with access to the Git repository would simply be able to check out and use the project, without having to worry about logging in to the repository and managing separate login credentials.

I'm not too worried about sharing the token with everyone in the project, Git authentication already limits access and the token can be invalidated/updated when needed.

Having a GUI in Unity for logging into the registry and/or adding support for scoped registries from GitHub/GitLab would alleviate some of the friction but project-level authentication would still make the setup easier.

This could be achieved with a configuration in the project's manifest or by having the package manager check for a configuration file inside the project folder first.

4. toeadd31

toeadd31

Hello,

I tried this out, but I am getting the following error:

I am able to do npm install com.domain.package.

I created a .upmconfig.toml file and set it up like so:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [npmAuth."https://nexus3.domain.com/repository/repo/"]
    2. token = "SAME_TOKEN_THATS_IN_NPMRC="
    3. email = "email@domain.com"
    4. alwaysAuth = true
    I couldn't find any useful logs. Any help would be amazing, thanks!

5. ok_torresmo

ok_torresmo

I had the same issue as @toeadd31 with a Nexus repository. I tried Verdaccio with authentication, and curiously the version 1.0.0 of my package was downloaded fine. But version 1.0.1 wouldn't download. I restarted Unity, but still had same issue. Log message said it "failed because it lacks valid authentication credentials".

I wonder if Unity caches some authentication information. I placed a wrong authToken in the .upmconfig.toml file, and I'd get the same behaviour (even after restarting Unity).

It would be great if we had extra logs/information on the error. I was using Unity 2019.3.4f1.

6. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

We don't cache the auth information. We read the configuration file on every request.

Let me try with Nexus again and see if I can repro. I'll keep you posted.

Pascal

7. Dweem

Dweem

You need to delete slash at the end of the registry URL

Code (CSharp):
    1. [npmAuth."https://nexus3.domain.com/repository/repo"]

8. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Good catch! Indeed, the
    npmAuth
    and scoped registry
    url
    must match perfectly for the token to be used when a request is sent to the NPM registry.

@ok_torresmo @toeadd31 Can you validate both attribute have the exact same URL?

Pascal

9. toeadd31

toeadd31

Hello,

I have tested a few ways, I tested both with and both without a slash. I also tested the NpmToken. style token and the base64 username:password style token.

Nothing seems to work for me. I keep getting the same error.

I would assume I am just missing something? This is pointing to a nexus3 private repo with a hosted npm format.

Thanks again!
    Todd

10. z000z

z000z

Has anyone gotten this to work with Azure DevOp's NPM artifact stream? Tried with a slash at the end and without as mentioned above, tried also the PAT token base64 encoded and not. Each way has resulted in the lacks valid authentication credentials message.

11. ok_torresmo

ok_torresmo

Ok, I got it working. Yeah, you need to make sure the URL is the same (even though the slash does not seem to make a difference). I guess my issue was a stupid mistake on my side (upmconfig had a 'https' URL, manifest had 'http' URL). Also make sure you are grabbing the correct token from the .npmrc file, because in my case it contained a couple auth tokens for the same repo (but slightly different urls).

okcompute_unity likes this.
  12. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone,

I made a mistake in my doc. I forgot to document the base64 based *Basic* authentication schema. This may be one reason why it doesn't work for some of you. Here the proper schema for that use case:

Code (csharp):
    2. [npmAuth."<REGISTRY URL>"]
    3. _auth = "<BASE64 ENCODED TOKEN>"
    4. email = "<EMAIL>"
    5. alwaysAuth = <BOOLEAN>
    Notice the
    _auth
    attribute instead of
    token

I'll update my original post. Sorry about this!

Pascal

13. amarcolina_oculus

amarcolina_oculus

What does the package manager error `unable to get local issuer certificate` mean in this situation? I haven't been able to get this to work, and I'm not sure if it's because something is configured incorrectly, or if it is because Unity is not finding the config file. Is there any way to verify where exactly Unity is looking?

Looks like the specific error in upm.log is

Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.   "message": "unable to get local issuer certificate",
    3.   "stack": "Error: unable to get local issuer certificate\n    at TLSSocket.onConnectSecure (_tls_wrap.js:1285:34)\n    at TLSSocket.emit (events.js:196:13)\n    at TLSSocket.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:494:23)\n    at TLSSocket._finishInit (_tls_wrap.js:758:8)\n    at TLSWrap.ssl.onhandshakedone (_tls_wrap.js:590:12)",
    4.   "code": "UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY"
    5. }

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  14. toeadd31

toeadd31

Ah, yep that was my issue, thanks!

15. Darzer

Darzer

Also having trouble getting this to work using an Azure DevOps NPM Artifacts Feed.
    Have tried all of the same things as @z000z but also getting the "lacks valid authentication credentials" message.
    Would be fantastic to find a solution to this :(

16. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

This means the certificate cannot be verified with an approved certificate authority. Probably your network is configured with a proxy decrypting the messages and re-encrypting them with its own certificate (hence the local issuer error). You need to configure your own certificate authority. This is documented here.

Pascal

17. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Have you tried to use the Basic auth configuration instead? See my post about the missing documentation here.

Pascal

18. Darzer

Darzer

Hi @okcompute_unity.

Yes, just as @z000z has mentioned, I have tried:

- With and without a trailing slash in the registry url (double-checking to make sure they were identical in the .upmconfig.toml file and in the manifest file)
    - Using the token generated via logging into the registry
    - Generating a PAT token manually on my Azure DevOps account, Base64 encoding it and adding it to `.upmconfig.toml` file with the "_auth" property name (also tried using the "token" property)
    - Tried using the PAT token again but without encoding it in Base64
    - Added the .upmconfig.toml file to the %USERPROFILE% directory AND the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%Unity/config/ServiceAccounts directory

Still, having tried everything above, I get the "lacks valid authentication credentials" message :(

Any help is greatly appreciated!

19. z000z

z000z

Also tried the _auth suggestion, but still ran into the credentials problem. Using a Mac so have the file in the ~/ folder, but otherwise same as @Darzer

20. Darzer

Darzer

As an update to this, I have installed Verdaccio locally and set my Azure DevOps NPM Artifact feed as an Uplink.
    In the config file where that Uplink is defined, I added my bearer token (the one generated previously) inline.
    I then setup a proxy for package requests starting with my feed namespace (like com.XYZ.*) to that Uplinked feed.

Having done the above, I simply changed my manifest.json file to point to Verdaccio on localhost and it managed to resolve my package!

Considering that Verdaccio is essentially "wrapping" around my hosted NPM feed as a proxy, I am surprised that it works, whereas attempting to go directly to my hosted feed fails. And seeing as the bearer token I'm using is the very same one I've defined in my .upmconfig.toml file I am perplexed.

Perhaps my .upmconfig.toml file is not even being found by Unity? I say this because it doesn't seem to matter what the contents of it are, I always get the "lacks valid authentication credentials" message (even if I delete the contents of .upmconfig.toml completely).

Hopefully this helps you @Ok_Computer with any debugging you may be doing.
    It would be great to be able to resolve packages directly through my Azure DevOps feed but this workaround is perfect for the time being :)

21. amarcolina

amarcolina

Ok, followed given instructions and have resolved _that_ issue, but now I'm getting the same "lacks valid authentication credentials" message that everybody else seems to be getting. Verified that the upmconfig.toml is indeed being read correctly, but seems something else is causing the problem. Tried both regular token and base64 encoded token, neither work.

22. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Darzer and all Azure DevOps users,

I did my investigation and figure out what is going on. I was able to use an Azure registry!

Here are my findings:
    1. Azure requires password-based basic authentication. We did not implement this authentication mode thinking that no-one would use this outdated way to do authentication! :( .In all the tests I made, Azure is the first one I'm seeing using this method!.
    2. Package Manager is stripping backslashes in URL. So, if you set the `npmAuth` URL to be `https://something.something/path/`, internally it won't match with the stripped URL (`https://something.something/path`).
    Solution for #1 is to generate the auth token yourself locally. The way you do this is to concatenate the username and password separated by a colon => `<username>:<personal access token>`

In the Azure Project setup description (Others tab), at step #3, you should encode the string as I'm describing insteaf of just the personal token.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 1.40.47 PM.png

Once you have the Base64 username/password string, you can set it up through the
    _auth
    configuration attribute.

Solution for #2 is to just strip the last slash from the
    npmAuth
    registry URL.

I will address these issues directly in the Package Manager in upcoming Unity releases. In the meantime, we will have to live with these manual fixes.

Thank you all for your patience and for helping out debugging the issues!

Pascal

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  23. Darzer

Darzer

This is fantastic work @okcompute_unity, thank you so much for your efforts!
    I will give this a go later tonight and report back here with my (hopeful) success :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  24. z000z

z000z

@okcompute_unity Just tested this out and that fixed it for me, thanks so much!

25. ZackSheppard

ZackSheppard

@okcompute_unity ... I am trying to get the package manager working with nexus and I am having a lot of trouble getting it to authorize using my username and password. I have tried several things from this forum to no success. This is what is printed to my console:

An error occurred while resolving packages:
    Project has invalid dependencies:
    com.zack.zackpack: Request 'http://localhost:8081/repository/zack-npm/com.zack.zackpack' failed with status code [401]

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of D:/Work/Unversioned/AsyncTest/Packages/manifest.json file.

When I view the nexus interface, I see the package just fine. I should also mention that if I create a brand new node project and run `npm install --save com.zack.zackpack --registry=http://localhost:8081/repository/zack-npm` it works perfectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my company has decided that this is the way we want to deliver our SDK to an internal partner

26. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @ZackSheppard,

Nexus is a registry that I used and tested while implementing this feature. So it should definitely work. What you can do is to send me the .npmrc and .upmconfig.toml that you have on your system (blurring the critical bits) through a forum direct conversation.

Pascal

27. ZackSheppard

ZackSheppard

I appreciate the timely response! I send you a private conversation

28. ZackSheppard

ZackSheppard

To sum up the findings on my answer. Turns out that this behavior was added in 2019.3.4f1 of the editor. If it just won't work for you, this may be the reason why

29. Darzer

Darzer

I've sadly not been as fortunate as @z000z and still cannot get this to work using an Azure DevOps feed :(
    I'm confident that I've followed your steps meticulously. Just to be sure, I did the entire process three times (each time with a newly-generated PAT).

The only part I'm not confident about is the value to use for "username" when encoding the PAT in the colon-separated format. I am using the exact value supplied by Azure DevOps in step#1 of the image you added @okcompute_unity. Is this the right username? I've even tried again but lower-casing the value.

I've stripped out the trailing slash on the npmAuth url (and also tried with and without the slash in the scopedRegistries url) just as you said but still no luck :(

Considering @z000z got it to work, it's highly likely that I've gotten something wrong but I just don't know what it could be.
    Did you have to do anything other than what @okcompute_unity said @z000z?

Edit: For clarity, I have tried this in Unity 2019.3.4f1, 2019.3.5f1 and 2020.1.0b1.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  30. z000z

z000z

@Darzer The only thing that I can think of that might be different is I added awhile back a .npmrc file to the project's packages folder. Probably not required though, it just has the registry and always-auth=true like the Microsoft documentation mentions for setting up a package.

Other than that I removed the slash at the end of url in the .upmconfig.toml file, the .npmrc file in the packages folder, and from the ScopedRegisteries entry in the manifest.json. And switched to using base64 encoded user:token for the _auth line in the .upmconfig.toml file.

31. ciaran0

ciaran0

Hi @Darzer
    I am trying to connect my Verdaccio instance to Azure Devops as well.
    Could you post your Verdaccio config? I keep getting 401's from Azure Devops.
    For the token are you putting the PAT token in directly or Base64 encoding it?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

32. Pelsepils

Pelsepils

@Darzer Did you ever get this working?
    I seem to be stuck at the same place you are.

33. briank

briank

@Pelsepils, I was able to get the Azure DevOps npm registry working with package manager by base64 encoding
    Code (CSharp):
    1. "email:pat"
    where 'pat' is a personal access token generated with packing read/write. I didn't use my account password.

34. warpbu

warpbu

@okcompute_unity I am guessing writing files to the user home dir from a build hook during a Unity Cloud build is not permitted. Are there any other means of passing credentials in a cloud build scenario?

matheus_unity812 likes this.
  35. Pelsepils

Pelsepils

Thanks,
    The correct base64 encoding is email : pat
    I actually think I must have gotten it to work before, its just that my packages are not showing in the Package Manager.
    Not even now they show up, but if I enter the package and version directly in the manifest.json in the dependencies section, they will automatically load. And whats more, they become visible in the Package Manager, and I'm able to update to newer, or older, versions of the package.

36. briank

briank

Yes, that's expected as it seems Unity requires the registry to support the /all path to query all packages. ADO doesn't seem to support that though so you need to explicitly add your package to the manifest.json.

On a good note it seems once your package has been added, Unity will at least detect newer versions.

37. briank

briank

okcompute_unity more general question, but is it safe to assume the ability to use private/local or even public custom npm registries will continue to work with Unity into the future, or at least 2020/2021 versions? i.e., will Unity continue to provide the ability to supply custom registry URLs in the manifest.json? (or even add some UI for this in the package manager itself? :)) And the package manager will continue to use npm registry queries to discover and install packages?

We're considering hosting our own public npm registry to provide a plugin/SDK but want to make sure we're not tying ourselves to an implementation detail of UPM that may change in the not too distant future! Thanks

38. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @briank,

The *scoped registry* API should continue to work for quite a while. Though, there is no guarantee about its usage to distribute software broadly. EULA is always subject to change when it comes to distributing software within the Unity ecosystem. Basically, I don't foresee any technical changes. You are more at risk because of legal changes. I suggest you reach out to your Unity account manager (if you have one. If not you can DM me so I can give you a point of contact) to see what are your options and the sustainability of distributing software through scoped registries.

Regards,

Pascal

fherbst and briank like this.
  39. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

I just got confirmation by the Cloud build team that it is possible to write to the user's home directory. You could dynamically generate the user configuration containing the registry credentials. The cloud build team's QA is doing testing right now to see if the approach works. If you test it too, let me know the outcome!

Regards,

Pascal

Zamaroht likes this.
  40. JesperSmith

JesperSmith

I've created a simple GUI to maintain the credentials and scoped registries from inside the Unity Editor UI. This makes support within my company much easier than setting up config files.

https://github.com/Halodi/halodi-unity-package-registry-manager

I open sourced it because it might be useful for others as well.

41. bdovaz

bdovaz

Very good work, thank you!

42. camille_ias

camille_ias

This is how I got it working, it's a combination of some of the above...

I suspect the .npmrc file is not required to get the Package Manager working as the way we were trying it (vsts-npm-auth) would not give me an "authToken", it gave me a "_password" instead which was different.

--

1. Ensure there is a ".upmconfig.toml" file, for me I had it in my root user directory, it should match this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [npmAuth."https://your_registry_url_with_no_trailing_slash"]
    2. _auth = "this_will_be_replaced"
    3. email = "your_email_address_that_matches_azure_login"
    4. alwaysAuth = true
    2. Copy the Personal Access Token from the dev.azure.com login for your group (you may need to click Add or Regenerate if one already exists)

3. In command line, run the following command:

Code (CSharp):
    1. node -e "require('readline').createInterface({input:process.stdin,output:process.stdout,historySize:0}).question('PAT> ',p => {b64=Buffer.from(p.trim()).toString('base64');console.log(b64);process.exit();})"
    4. When prompted to enter your PAT, I entered
    email:pat
    obviously with the email and PAT replaced (email should probably match your dev.azure.com account and also the email specified in the .upmconfig.toml file)

5. Command line will give you a new Base 64 encoded string, copy that and paste into "_auth " in the upmconfig.toml file

I also removed the trailing slash inside manifest.json in Packages folder of the Unity project, unsure if required though.

ico_jakubv, vdepassier and bdovaz like this.
  43. Neiist

Neiist

I separated my big project into smaller chunks, each of them on gitlab and on a Verdaccio instance both running on my server, and I am trying since a week to get gitlab CI to test the repositories using a shell runner on my own computer.

The runner inserts the package dependencies into a copy of a default manifest.json to make unity import the package's dependencies on top of the default ones before starting the tests, I created the required .upmconfig.toml file, added my authentication token and I can see and import my packages inside Unity without problem, the runner executes itself properly...

But whenever the runner tries to import any of my scoped registry' package, the editor ran by the runner logs: `[...] failed because it lacks valid authentication credentials`.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but is there any way to let unity know about the token other than via the .toml file? via command line argument maybe?
    Is such feature planned for the Package Manager?

44. Favo-Yang

Favo-Yang

bdovaz likes this.
  45. Neiist

Neiist

Thanks for the heads up!

I will take a closer look to that, I have seen actually people implementing very good UI plugins already to make it simpler in Unity to manage registries, but my problem is that on my Unity editor there is no problem, the authentication does occur normally and I see all my packages...

It's only when the test runner starts its batchmode instance of Unity through powershell that the authentication fails.
    And its only the case for the runner, because I tried to execute the very same script myself in a powershell I opened myself in the very same directory, and it worked.

Now I think the problem must come from the runner or its powershell and not from Unity :|

46. unity_gNqA6dFMgIk8Rw

unity_gNqA6dFMgIk8Rw

Thanks a lot for releasing this outside of the regular release cycle. We are using google artefact repository in our org. Unfortunately google cloud only provides 60min valid oauth tokens via a shell command, so we have to refresh those constantly while unity is running.

I'm using the following bash code to run it on UCB:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #!/bin/bash
    3. set -ex
    5. CI_DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" >/dev/null 2>&1 && pwd )"
    7. # create temporary copy of npm rc
    8. cp $CI_DIR/npmrc $CI_DIR/npmrc.tmp
    10. # let google cloud fill in password
    11. export GOOGLE_APPLICATION_CREDENTIALS=$CI_DIR/gcp-sa-ucb.json
    12. npx google-artifactregistry-auth $CI_DIR/npmrc.tmp
    14. # extract password and base64 decode
    15. ENCODED_TOKEN=$(grep -o '_password.*' "$CI_DIR/npmrc.tmp" | sed -e 's/.*_password="\(.*\)"/\1/')
    16. DECODED_TOKEN=$(echo "$ENCODED_TOKEN" | base64 -D)
    18. # override upmconfig
    19. sed "s/\$TOKEN/$DECODED_TOKEN/g" $CI_DIR/upmconfig.toml >~/.upmconfig.toml
    21. # cleanup
    22. rm $CI_DIR/npmrc.tmp

sandolkakos likes this.
  47. matheus_unity812

matheus_unity812

After many attempts, i add my private verdaccio package server (with authentication) to Unity Cloud Build.

Step by step for those who want to do:

1) Create the
    scripts/pre_build.sh
    file in you root folder with contents:

Code (csharp):
    1. echo "$UPM_TOM_CONTENT" > $HOME/.upmconfig.toml
    Notes
    HOME
    - User path in cloud build. (built in)
    UPM_TOM_CONTENT
    - Content of your .upmconfig.toml (added by you)

2) Go to Advanced Options in you Cloud Build target settings and choice Advanced Options to insert
    scripts/pre_build.sh
    in Pre-Build Script Path field, next Click in Save Button.

3) Go back to your target settings, and open Environment Variables to add
    UPM_TOM_CONTENT
    's:

upload_2020-9-20_22-57-32.png

VERY IMPORTANT: You need to replace the break spaces by
    \n
    , I had syntax problems saving raw .toml data

:mad: Bad Sample
    Code (csharp):
    2. [npmAuth."<REGISTRY URL>"]
    3. token = "<AUTH TOKEN  _authToken in .npmrc)>"
    4. alwaysAuth = true
    :D Good Sample
    Code (csharp):
    2. [npmAuth."<REGISTRY URL>"<AUTH TOKEN  _authToken in .npmrc)>"\nalwaysAuth = true
    If all goes well, when you make a new build, your private packages will be found

Zamaroht, firstuser and YurySedyakin like this.
  48. MioIslandLabs

MioIslandLabs

Hi, we're currently facing a problem that we can use the Azure DevOps npm registry, but it is seemingly impossible to look up existing packages in it. This might be a problem on Microsofts side (as it seems like the API does, in fact, not support listing packages) or another authentication problem.

Can you list the registry? If so, how?

Kevin_Infranea and alesmasiar like this.
  49. ikriz

ikriz

Same here also willing to use Azure Devops Artifact Feed only because the scopedRegistry isn't listing packages it isnt very useful.
    Manually adding the packages to the manifest defeats the whole purpose of the package manager? If I do add it manually the package is found which is great but users need to be able to see the packages.
    Any prospects on when package listing (the new way?) will be supported?

Kevin_Infranea and alesmasiar like this.
  50. luizb_unity

luizb_unity

I'm facing an interesting issue:

I have a verdaccio server running with several packages without authentication, but limited by IP address.
    Now I want to add authentication to the system, so what I did was to deploy a new verdaccio server with the exact same configurations as the previous one, but this time using authentication.

Then I copied all packages from the old server to the new server.
    After following some tips from here I managed to list all packages in UPM with authentication working and all.

All was fine until I noticed that Samples from some packages where missing the ~ character.
    This didn't happen with the previous server, and if I download the zipfiles of the packages from the new server, they contain the ~ character.

This makes me think that somehow, UPM messes up the ~ character when unzipping the package that was downloaded from a private registry under authentication. Any clues?

I also posted here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/empty-samples.998878/
    I believe we are facing the same issue