Search Unity

Setting world scale without affecting physics

Discussion in 'AR' started by kexar66, Oct 11, 2017.

1. kexar66

kexar66

Hi,
    I want to be able to scale up / down the scale of AR scene. How can I setup the scale for a whole AR scene without affecting physics? When I set scale of root GameObject it breaks physics (wheel colliders).

Thanks

2. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Great question! I just gave a talk about this last week at Unite Austin. The talk and sample code will be posted next week, but the short answer is: do not scale your content (because physics will be affected, for example); instead scale all positional information coming from the device. This includes the position of the camera, the plane positions, boundaries, and extents. The easiest way to do this is to put the camera and all GameObjects generated by the device (e.g. TrackedPlanes) under the same parent GameObject, and apply scale to that. So your hierarchy might be

AR Root
    Camera [Components: TrackedPoseDriver, SessionComponent]
    AR Controller [Components: HelloARController]
    If you then scale the "AR Root" GameObject, then it should scale the camera and visual representation of the planes. Note, however, that it hit tests within ARCore won't be aware of the scale, so you'll need to remove the scale from your raycast input and then rescale the result.

Hope that makes sense! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
    Tim

CarinaMclane and HenryAsh like this.
  3. mattrified_

mattrified_

Quick follow-up question. Does the local positions / rotations of the Camera and ARController matter before trying this scaling method? Do they need to be at [0,0,0] and identity?

4. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

For the camera, that depends on whether you check the "Use relative transform" checkbox on the TrackedPoseDriver. If it is checked, then it remembers the initial position+rotation ("pose") and makes the final pose relative to that initial pose.

For the ARController, the HelloARController spawns in plane prefabs using itself as the parent, so its position+rotation would also matter.

5. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Let me just clarify: the initial position+rotation matters because it affects things in the way I mentioned above, but scale should still work (fingers crossed; I haven't tried this specific setup).

6. Griffo

Griffo

Hi @timmunity

You said 'The talk and sample code will be posted next week' have you a link to this please, thanks.

7. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Arkade and Griffo like this.
  8. Griffo

Griffo

9. CarinaMclane

CarinaMclane

Ha, thanks for this. Got myself in a right pickle scaling content and (attempting to) correct for physics with our first play with ARCore a few months back.

10. kbabilinski

kbabilinski

11. jimmya

jimmya

Griffo likes this.
  12. tehpro_unity

tehpro_unity

13. tdmowrer

tdmowrer