Search Unity

Scaling with ARFoundation

Discussion in 'AR' started by tdmowrer, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

We wanted to make scale a first class citizen in ARFoundation, so I'd like to clarify how it works. A basic AR scene has an ARSession and an ARSessionOrigin. The job of the ARSessionOrigin is to transform "session space" (the coordinate system used by the device) into "world space" (a position, rotation, and scale in Unity). The AR camera should be a child of the ARSessionOrigin, so if you want your AR camera to start at a non trivial position in the Unity scene, simply move the session origin to that position. That seems straightforward enough.

However, you might find scale harder to get your head around. What are we scaling anyway? What does that mean? If I have a single Unity cube in my scene, and I set the scale to something other than (1, 1, 1), what should I expect to happen?

ScaleCube.gif
    WTF? Why is my cube moving all over the place? Why isn't it scaling?

The cube is changing apparent size, but also changing apparent position. Imagine if I had two cubes, what would you expect to happen? If both cubes got bigger without moving, then they would overlap. Clearly, they also have to appear to move.

I say "appear" because we aren't actually scaling the cube; we're scaling session origin. This means scaling the camera's position and also all the trackables, such as planes. The blue plane in the GIF above doesn't appear to move because it and the camera are being scaled together. The end result is that it looks like the entire scene has scaled, when in fact, the session origin (camera + planes) have been scaled by the opposite amount.

Looking instead at the scene view, we see what's actually happening: the cube doesn't move at all.

ScaleCube_sceneView.gif

We're trying to scale the apparent size of the entire scene, so everything will appear to get bigger or smaller and move away from or toward some origin. In fact, the session origin.

So what should you do? Put the session origin at the "middle" of whatever scene you're trying to scale, and add another GameObject in the hierarchy (between ARSessionOrigin and Camera) to add an additional positional offset to the camera. Wouldn't it be nice if there were a convenience method to achieve this? In fact, there is!

ARSessionOrigin.MakeContentAppearAt does exactly this. It doesn't move the content; instead it moves the ARSessionOrigin such that the content you specify appears to be the the position you've specified. Example: instead of moving the entire scene 3 meters to the left, move the ARSessionOrigin 3 meters to the right.

Effectively, this puts the ARSessionOrigin at the "center" of the scene, and then also moves the camera by the opposite amount. The effect is that the origin for which all scaling is done is now well defined and controllable.

MoveARSessionOrigin.gif
    Here, I've created a GameObject in the center of this complex scene, and asked the ARSessionOrigin to MakeContentAppearAt some point I selected on the plane. On the right, we have the GameView, what you would see on your device. It looks like the scene is moving while the plane remains still. However, the scene view on the left reveals that we're actually moving the session origin around.

Using this method, scaling the session origin finally does what we want:

ScaleARSessionOrigin.gif

The content is "scaled" around a point I've specified.

And it works for rotation too:

RotateARSessionOrigin.gif

Note how the camera effectively orbits the scene, making it look like the content is rotating.

So why go through all this headache in the first place? Why not just scale the scene and leave the session origin alone? For simple content, like a cube, it's probably much easier just to scale the content. But for complex scenes, like this village, it might be very expensive, or even impossible. Particle effects cannot be trivially scaled. Scaling physics or nav meshes down to be very tiny is a bad idea -- things will start falling through the world, and nav meshes will be too small to work properly. Terrain is static at runtime, and cannot be moved, rotated, or scaled. For these reasons, it's much more effective to scale the camera + trackables, not the scene content.

Hope that helps clear up some confusion. I'll look for your questions and feedback below!

-Tim

2. Tarrag

Tarrag

That's rad @timmunity, thanks a bunch , it clarified the concept.

I didn't get a chance to look further into this but it appears the light/shadows rotate with the ARSessionOriginGO. I have a directional light in the scene.

MakeContentAppearAt you described worked for me for horizontal planes if I instantiated on a horizontal plane but in this scenario I run into problems when moving the object to/on vertical planes.

I used MakeContentAppearAt method when I instantiating or moving the object. At instantiation I used

if (m_SessionOrigin.Raycast(touch.position, s_Hits, TrackableType.PlaneWithinPolygon))
    hitPose = s_Hits[0].pose;
    spawnedObject = Instantiate(m_PlacedPrefab, hitPose.position, hitPose.rotation);
    MakeContentAppearAt(spawnedObject.transform, spawnedObject.transform.position, spawnedObject.transform.rotation);

When moving an object to a vertical plane after instantiated at a horizontal plane if I used MakeContentAppearAt(spawnedObject.transform, hitPose.position, spawnedObject.transform.rotation); the object sits vertically on a vertical plane. So instead I tried using MakeContentAppearAt(spawnedObject.transform, hitPose.position, hitPose.rotation); However hitPose.rotation changes within a plane so the object jitters when moved and in a vertical plane it does not sit or rotate correctly.

To avoid the jerky movement I am experimienting by changing the actual rotation of the object to hitPose.rotation when changing plane alignments, use MakeContentAppearAt(spawnedObject.transform, hitPose.position, spawnedObject.transform.rotation); and in the case of vertical planes change the rotation of the ARSessionGO to Quaternion.AngleAxis(rotationSlider.value, Vector3.right); though haven't seen good results.

Cheers! Sergio

3. rxmarccall

rxmarccall

@timmunity
    I was just trying to understand this better today! Good timing.

I wanted to ask if it'd be possible for you to upload / share the project above so we can easily play around with the example project you used above?

I've been trying to understand how I can manually make a trackable plane in the editor like this to test with.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  4. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

The lights/shadows don't rotate with the session origin, but they might appear that way, since the camera is orbiting the scene. Depending on the effect you want to achieve, you might want to parent the light to the session origin (so it moves and rotates too).

You are both spawning an object at the hit point and then also using MakeContentAppearAt to make it appear at the hit point. I suppose that's fine, but it doesn't really matter where you spawn the object in that case, since you're also moving the session origin.

Sounds like you don't want the vertical orientation. In that case, you can use the variant that doesn't take a rotation. Maybe something like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (m_SessionOrigin.Raycast(touch.position, s_Hits, TrackableType.PlaneWithinPolygon))
    2. {
    3.   hitPose = s_Hits[0].pose;
    4.   spawnedObject = Instantiate(m_PlacedPrefab);
    5.   m_SessionOrigin.MakeContentAppearAt(spawnedObject.transform, hitPose.position);
    6. }
    If you want to just adjust the rotation later, use the variant that only takes a rotation.

5. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

I had a feeling that would be one of the first questions :)

I used a prototype of the simulation package I've mentioned in some other threads. That's not done yet, but it should also work as a standalone sample; I'll look at adding it to the ARFoundation Samples repo.

6. Balours

Balours

Thanks for the explanation @tdmowrer , it's working fine!
    Now my issue, I want to attach an object to the camera that will interact with the scaled objects, for example a stick that will illuminate the objects when touched, but of course if the camera is moved away I lost the interaction. How should I manage the scale of the attached object?
    Thank you!

7. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

If I understand correctly, you want the "stick" to appear to remain unscaled, that is, not change size with the content. In that case, you can parent it to the ARSessionOrigin. If you also want it to move with the camera (e.g., a fixed stick dangling in front of your head), then you could parent it to the AR Camera.

Here's what that looks like:
    CameraStick.gif

And here's my scene hierarchy:

StickSceneHierarchy.png

Remember, in this setup, the blue cube is not moving or scaling; it's the plane, camera, and "stick" that get scaled together.

8. Balours

Balours

Yes that's close to what I want, thanks a lot for the example. However, I would need the stick to stay proportional to the content, is it the case in your example?

9. Tarrag

Tarrag

Apologies for the late response @tdmowrer , that time of the year :)
    That works, thank you! Cheers, Sergio

10. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

To stay proportional to the content, the "stick" should be outside of the ARSessionOrigin hierarchy. You could then have a script that places it in front of the camera every frame.

11. Balours

Balours

That's perfect, and it makes sense. Thank you for your help!

12. HeavyProduction

HeavyProduction

Any update on the scale project sample?

13. maurogarcia

maurogarcia

It would be very useful an update of the Sample Project, 'cause still not contain anything about "Scaling".
    Thanks!

14. tonOnWu

tonOnWu

Hi. We're moving an old version of one of our AR apps, but we really need more examples. Particularly we need a "Scaling" example and how to remove planes and plane's detection once the scene has been set.

enhawk and GreeneMachine like this.
  15. tonOnWu

tonOnWu

Hi everybody. Well, while we wait for an example that explains how to do this, I've been trying to solve it by myself. I'll present what I've done so far. Any helping ideas will be well received.

First I created a Component call Scaler which was assigned to AR Session Origin. This is the code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [RequireComponent(typeof(ARSessionOrigin))]
    2. public class Scaler : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    5.     ARSessionOrigin m_SessionOrigin;
    6.     [SerializeField] GameObject referenceToScale;
    8.     void Start()
    9.     {
    10.         m_SessionOrigin = GetComponent<ARSessionOrigin>();
    11.     }
    13.     // Method called by a Slider
    14.     public void OnValueChange(float value)
    15.     {
    16.         Debug.Log("New Value: " + value);
    17.         Transform t = gameObject.transform;
    19.         m_SessionOrigin.MakeContentAppearAt(referenceToScale.transform, Quaternion.identity);
    21.         referenceToScale.transform.localScale = new Vector3(value, value, value);
    22.     }
    23. }
    The method OnValueChange is called by a Slider.

Now, following what I understand on the first post of this thread, I did set a MiddleReference game object in the hierarchy and has located between the AR Session Origin and AR Camera. This MiddleReference is the "referenceToScale" of the previous code. I'm pretty sure that my error is on the code, but I don't know what it is.

Attached is the image of the Hierarchy Object's disposition.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. doelwit

doelwit

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void updateSize()
    2.     {
    3.         float val = scaleSlider.value;
    5.         m_SessionOrigin.transform.localScale = new Vector3(val, val, val);
    7.     }
    9.     public void updateRotation()
    10.     {
    11.         float val = rotateSlider.value;
    13.         m_SessionOrigin.transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0, val, 0);
    15.     }
    these seem to work for me, they are both onvaluechanged listener delegates which I've added to the PlaceOnPlane script

Maarja and real2u like this.
  17. tonOnWu

tonOnWu

Ok, after a bit more than 24 hours later, I found the solution I want it. Now I'll share it for other people that could have been having the same problem.

First I created an Empty Object called MiddleReference in the hierarchy and located in a middle position between AR Session Origin and its child AR Camera.

Then, in the AR Session Origin I placed the components: PlaceOnPlane:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections.Generic;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEngine.EventSystems;
    4. using UnityEngine.Experimental.XR;
    5. using UnityEngine.XR.ARFoundation;
    7. [RequireComponent(typeof(ARSessionOrigin), typeof(Scaler))]
    8. public class PlaceOnPlane : MonoBehaviour
    9. {
    10.     ARPlaneManager planeManager;      
    11.     private bool scenesPositionSet = false;     // Indicate that scale scenario and position has been set. If true, the game is ready to start
    12.     private Scaler m_scaler;                      // We'll use this to change the reference for scaling
    14.     [SerializeField]
    15.     [Tooltip("Instantiates this prefab on a plane at the touch location.")]
    16.     GameObject m_PlacedPrefab;          // Element to be set on scene. In case of a game, it will be the entire scenario
    17.     public GameObject placedPrefab      // The prefab to instantiate on touch.
    18.     {
    19.         get { return m_PlacedPrefab; }
    20.         set { m_PlacedPrefab = value; }
    21.     }
    23.     // The object instantiated as a result of a successful raycast intersection with a plane.
    24.     public GameObject spawnedObject { get; private set; }
    26.     ARSessionOrigin m_SessionOrigin;
    28.     static List<ARRaycastHit> s_Hits = new List<ARRaycastHit>();
    30.     void Awake()
    31.     {
    32.         m_SessionOrigin = GetComponent<ARSessionOrigin>();
    33.         m_scaler = GetComponent<Scaler>();
    34.     }
    36.     void Update()
    37.     {
    38.         if (Input.touchCount > 0 && !IsPointerOverUIObject() && !scenesPositionSet)
    39.         {
    40.             Touch touch = Input.GetTouch(0);
    42.             if (m_SessionOrigin.Raycast(touch.position, s_Hits, TrackableType.PlaneWithinPolygon))
    43.             {
    44.                 Pose hitPose = s_Hits[0].pose;
    46.                 if (spawnedObject == null)
    47.                 {
    48.                     spawnedObject = Instantiate(m_PlacedPrefab, hitPose.position, hitPose.rotation);
    49.                 }
    50.                 else
    51.                 {
    52.                     spawnedObject.transform.position = hitPose.position;
    53.                 }
    55.                 // Locating reference on the same position
    56.                 if (m_scaler != null)
    57.                 {
    58.                     m_scaler.referenceToScale.transform.position = hitPose.position;
    59.                 }
    60.                 else
    61.                 {
    62.                     Debug.Log("Error: Scaler has not being initialized");
    63.                 }
    64.             }
    65.         }
    66.     }
    68.     // Remove planes, points and set everything
    69.     public void SetScenario()
    70.     {
    72.         ARPlaneManager aRPlaneManager = GetComponent<ARPlaneManager>();
    73.         aRPlaneManager.enabled = false;
    75.         // Scene position has been set. So it won't be able to move it
    76.         scenesPositionSet = true;
    78.         //DisablePlanes();       // Uncomment this if you want to visual remove planes.
    80.     }
    82.     void OnPositionContent()
    83.     {
    84.         if (Input.touchCount > 0)
    85.         {
    86.             Touch touch = Input.GetTouch(0);
    88.             if (m_SessionOrigin.Raycast(touch.position, s_Hits, TrackableType.PlaneWithinPolygon))
    89.             {
    90.                 Pose hitPose = s_Hits[0].pose;
    92.                 if (spawnedObject == null)
    93.                 {
    94.                     spawnedObject = Instantiate(m_PlacedPrefab);
    95.                     DisablePlanes();
    96.                 }
    97.                 else
    98.                 {
    99.                     spawnedObject.transform.position = hitPose.position;
    100.                 }
    101.             }
    102.         }
    103.     }
    105.     /* Procedure to remove planes from view to the user */
    106.     void DisablePlanes()
    107.     {
    108.         planeManager = GetComponent<ARPlaneManager>();
    109.         List<ARPlane> allPlanes = new List<ARPlane>();
    111.         planeManager.GetAllPlanes(allPlanes);
    112.         planeManager.enabled = false;
    113.         foreach (ARPlane plane in allPlanes)
    114.         {
    115.             plane.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    116.         }
    117.     }
    119.     /* Procedure to check if has been Tap over an UI object in a Canvas.
    120.      * Returns True if an object in the Canvas has been Tapped. */
    121.     private bool IsPointerOverUIObject()
    122.     {        
    123.         PointerEventData eventDataCurrentPosition = new PointerEventData(EventSystem.current);
    124.         eventDataCurrentPosition.position = new Vector2(Input.mousePosition.x, Input.mousePosition.y);
    126.         List<RaycastResult> results = new List<RaycastResult>();
    127.         EventSystem.current.RaycastAll(eventDataCurrentPosition, results);
    128.         return results.Count > 0;
    129.     }
    131. }
    and the Scaler Component:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. using UnityEngine.Experimental.XR;
    6. using UnityEngine.XR.ARFoundation;
    8. [RequireComponent(typeof(ARSessionOrigin))]
    9. public class Scaler : MonoBehaviour {
    11.     ARSessionOrigin m_SessionOrigin;
    12.     public GameObject referenceToScale;
    14.     /* Next values must be the same min and max values of
    15.      * the Slider to change the scale */
    16.     private float m_maxScaleValue = 10.0f;
    17.     private float m_minScaleValue = 0.0f;
    18.     private float m_defaultScaleValue = 5.0f;
    20.     void Awake()
    21.     {
    22.         m_SessionOrigin = GetComponent<ARSessionOrigin>();
    23.     }
    25.     // Method called by a Slider
    26.     public void OnValueChange(float value)
    27.     {
    28.         Transform t = gameObject.transform;
    30.         m_SessionOrigin.MakeContentAppearAt(
    31.             referenceToScale.transform,
    32.             referenceToScale.transform.position,
    33.             referenceToScale.transform.rotation);
    35.         float scaleValue = Mathf.Clamp(value, m_minScaleValue, m_maxScaleValue);
    36.         t.localScale = new Vector3(scaleValue, scaleValue, scaleValue);
    37.     }
    39.     private void Start()
    40.     {
    41.         OnValueChange(m_defaultScaleValue);
    42.     }
    43. }
    The Scaler component is called by a slider. The ReferenceToScale in the middle object mentioned at the beginning of this thread. But, with this code you can also move the object over an identified plane and then scale the object.

I attached an image of the setting. I hope more people can use this.

Attached Files:

AskaniIT and Maarja like this.
  18. Edur-Games

Edur-Games

For the object scale, using the ARSessionOrigin transform scale already works.

Scale (50, 50, 50) you're scaling 50 times the smallest object.
    This works well for me. About stabilizing objects once placed needs more debugging

19. enhawk

enhawk

heres a script you can put on AR Session Origin to test this out without needing the example scene:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class CameraScaler : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     [Range(1f,3f)]
    8.     public float scale;
    10.     // Update is called once per frame
    11.     void Update () {
    12.         transform.localScale = new Vector3(scale,scale,scale);
    13.     }
    14. }

Jelmer123 likes this.
  20. real2u

real2u

Thanks for everything @tdmowrer , I’ve managed to get everything working flawlessly. Both scaling and rotating.

I was wondering if it’s possible to use a Static Gameobject due to it’s perfomance advantages. I’ve found this post https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/11/16/dealing-with-scale-in-ar/ in which being Static is mentioned, is it possible to replicate with ARFoundation?

In my scene instead of using a prefab, I’m using a baked game object and I can move it as a I wish without a problem. But I would love to make it as performatic as possible.

Best regards,

21. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Sure, ARFoundation works in the same way. By scaling the ARSessionOrigin, you are affecting the camera, not your scene's content, so this will work with a static GameObject.

22. Daniel4362

Daniel4362

Hello,

I am having trouble scaling content while also using the ARSessionOrigin.MakeContentAppearAt().

My goal is to get an object floating in the scene and to be able to move it around your space. Right now I use MakeContentAppearAt() to position it 1 meter in front of the camera and I do that while moving around to place it. Then I turn that off to leave it in place. But if I scale the object up or down, next time I use the make content appear at, It resets the camera position (as expected).

I have really enjoyed using ARFoundation and I know there is a solution, I am just having trouble finding it. Would you have any advice @tdmowrer.

Here is a video of my goal of movement that I was able to achieve with raw ARKit-Unity-Plugin (this was also scaling the content, which thanks to your talks, I see the major advantages of not doing).

Thank you for any advice anyone can provide!

23. jorgejaas

jorgejaas

Can i to scale with 2 fingers??

24. Daniel4362

Daniel4362

@jorgejaas Yes, you can achieve scale using two fingers. The solutions above involve using a slider UI component to affect the scale of the ARSessionOrigin. You may, however, use the Unity input system or LeanTouch to read the pinch gesture and use that for affecting the scale of the ARSessionOrigin.

25. jorgejaas

jorgejaas

Thank @Daniel4362! Do you have any example code for rotation with 1 finger?

26. andgest

andgest

Hi
    First thank you @tdmowrer for your post, it help me a lot !

I have a question about real size on AR, and I can't to find the response.
    I have a cube of 1 meter for each axes.
    I want to see this cube in AR and that cube should appear to exactly one meter size in real life.
    How can I do that to be sure that the position and scale of my ARSessionOrigin is complient to preserve the matching between Unity size unit and AR size unit ?
    I don't want to scale ARSessionOrigin arbitrarily to obtain an aproximatively matching.

Thank you in advance :)

27. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Unity uses meters, so if you have a 1 meter cube and want it to appear as 1 meter in AR, you don't have to do anything. Just make sure your session origin is NOT scaled, i.e., its scale is (1, 1, 1).

andgest, rob_ice and newguy123 like this.
  28. andgest

andgest

Thank you for your really quick reply ! :)
    Ok I understand the source of my trouble. It's not the ARSessionOrigin scale but the size of my object.
    The cube in my exemple is a .obj added dynamically to my scene with trilib.
    The scale to this .obj is (1, 1, 1) but if I create a cube next to him with scale (1, 1, 1), I can constate that it's absolutely not the same size ^^
    upload_2019-1-16_15-49-52.png

29. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Scale is a factor, not an absolute. The chair's final size will be its original dimensions times the scale. That means setting the scale to (1, 1, 1) makes your object its original size. You may be able to adjust the export settings for your chair model to make sure it was created in meter scale.

If you want to try and determine an appropriate scale at runtime, you would need to know how big the chair is, how big you want it to be, and set your scale to the ratio of the two. One way to do this is to iterate over the mesh renderers in the chair and combine their bounds, or, if the object has a rigid body, you can query the size of the collider.

andgest likes this.
  30. newguy123

newguy123

How might the code look like for something like this, if I want the placed prefab to autoscale (meaning scale the ARSessionOrigin), and FIT fully within cam view (be fully visible in view), with some breathing space around it?

31. enhawk

enhawk

any update on adding this to ARFoundation samples?

newguy123 likes this.
  32. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Maarja, dansopanso and newguy123 like this.
  33. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

I implemented ARSessionOrigin.MakeContentAppearAt in my place script. However, my scene always scales from it root, while I would like it to scale from the location the user is looking at (or as I'm using pinch-to-zoom: actually half ways between the user's two fingers).Should I move that Game object called "make content appear at" to the desired location as a root/pivot point for scaling?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  34. Edur-Games

Edur-Games

Hello!
    I'm experiencing a problem with placing the content in front of the camera. Compared to other games you need to find a plane to place the content, in my case is usually moved by itself on some occasions, especially when there is not much lighting in the environment.

Is there any difference in behavior when you anchor a content on a detected plane and when you don't use an anchor and put it in front of your camera?

I have tried several games that use a plane to place the content:
    (The machines, shadows remain, ARise) and the scene is anchored very well. It does not move even at low illumination. But mine by not using any anchor and being "floating in the air" is very unstable sometimes.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

35. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

I want to scale my scene based on where the user looks.

I have this hierarchy
    Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 17.39.01.png

I have a raycast from the camera's centre against scene geometry, and place PivotPoint there and then scale the scene. However, this gives very strange results. So, how to scale with a certain location as pivot point?

36. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

Any ideas? Behaviour of ARFoundation is currently completely weird when trying to set a pivot point for scaling...

37. JoeGrainger

JoeGrainger

AFAIK I think you're scaling with the wrong hierarchy. You want AR Session Origin to be a child of Pivot Point, as you want to be scaling from the Pivot Point's origin. Right now you are scaling from 0,0,0 as that's where AR Session Origin will be.

Jelmer123 likes this.
  38. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

Thanks! I will give that a try! :)

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

How can i scale the object so it doesnt go into camera? If the object is big enough now it just scales right into camera

40. Jasr_88

Jasr_88

Hi, i understant the problem of scaling the object instead of the ARSessionOrigin, but what if i need to Scale/Rotate/Move multiple objects, individually, in the same scene?

41. enhawk

enhawk

You can do that too, just do it on a per object basis. Theres only one camera root to scale

42. jogaa

jogaa

Thanks, @tdmowrer, your post and example scene give a great insight! I tinkered a bit with it. So, when I want to move things individually, I need to place them as transform which is NOT a child of ARSessionOrigin, while all other objects need to be a child so they get transformed & rotated with the Origin? Is that correct?
    Sorry, I don't understand.

43. Tarrag

Tarrag

Hi @hawken , sorry I don't understand, can you please expand on this - rotate a single object where multiple exist?

If I add a cube to the arfoundation examples Scale.scene, because the effect of makeappearonplane is to rotate the ARSessionOrigin and not the object, any other content in the scene rotates along with the Content provided by Unity in the scene.

if (m_SessionOrigin != null)
    m_SessionOrigin.MakeContentAppearAt(content, content.transform.position, m_Rotation); // here content does not include the cube I added to test multiple object rotation

It works not using MakeContentAppearAt, just with m_RealObjOnPlane.transform.rotation = m_Rotation; but early to tell of unintended behaviour. That's why it'd help if you can shed more light how you rotate multiple objects with MakeContentAppearAt pls :)

Thank you for your help

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  44. enhawk

enhawk

rotate:
    • If you need to rotate your entire world and be free of any adverse physics or particle contributions, do it with make content appear at and session origin.
    • If you need to rotate your objects in the world, do it per object with standard methods and disable/local anything you don't want affected by rotation.
    scale:
    • If you need to scale everything in your world to the same scale, without affecting physics, use session origin.
    • If you need to scale objects to various arbitrary sizes, it needs to be done with standard methods, you will need to handle scale related problems on a case by case basis.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  45. tbora

tbora

Hello, I am using ARFoundation and the Image Tracking example. I have a poster and I want my content to appear exactly on top of the poster. The tracking and appearing of the content works but my scene is too big and it has physic objects so I cant just scale it down. I am using the ARTrackedImageManager script. I tried to work with the localScale of the ARSessionOrigin but it didnt work.

tahercal likes this.
  46. jpvanmuijen

jpvanmuijen

You could try changing the physical size of your image in your Reference Image Library, set it to a higher value than it actually is to make your content appear smaller.

tahercal likes this.
  47. christougher

christougher

Hi, I've been working with the example scene with the 1.0 version of the the repo (my project can't be updated past 2018.1). This scale example scene is great. Anyways I'm trying to simplify setting the orientation from using a slider to simply one touch on a detected plane. The positition is easy enough but I'm having a hard time getting the orientation that I want. The content I have is always set at the origin and oriented backward (say -180,0,0, the same as facing the default 2d perspective). and I want a simple tap to have the content directly face the camera. The rotation slider works perfectly to rotate the AR Session Origin on the Y axis, keeping everything nice and flat. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to mathematically determine the angle to use based off the Camera's anticipated new position so that when the ARSessionOrigin is rotated that the content now faces the camera directly... any help with the math that has gone above my head would be great...

sweazey48 likes this.
  48. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

Quick question to @tdmowrer and maybe others who might know as well !

As I am working on this, I am wondering how you actually get the AR camera to work within the Editor? how can you get the camera to look at your content in your scale demo scene? from your screenshots, it looks like you have it working or at least setup so that you can debug and test in editor. I understand that there is no actual AR going on within the Editor, so the Ar camera can not track anything.

Thanks for your help :)

Bye,

Jean

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity has no way of doing that at the moment.
    Only with vuforia if its fine for you.

50. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

yes, and that's why I am puzzled how tdmowrer could make these screen capture showing how it works in editor.. If you check his posts, the camera is well aligned showing the content. How did you do that?

Bye,

Jean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.