Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Set download assets directory

Discussion in 'Linux' started by knobby67, Nov 17, 2015.

1. knobby67

knobby67

Hi,
    is there a way to set my 'master' assets director? I'd like to download to my Dropbox folder but can't seem to see a way to set the directory. Sorry if this is obvious!

2. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Just move the directory to where you want it, and then link it back to the original location (middle click + drag, select 'link', or using the ln [from directory] [to directory] command in terminal.)

Edit: The Asset Store packages are located in: ~/.local/share/unity3d/Asset Store-5.x (if you are unfamiliar with Linux, the '~' sign is a shortcut to the home directory).

To change the Asset Store download path, you can follow these steps (make sure to edit the path to your liking):

Through Terminal:
    1. Run mv '~/.local/share/unity3d/Asset Store-5.x' '~/Dropbox/Asset Store-5.x' This will move the Asset Store downloads directory into the Dropbox folder (under no sub-folders). Change the path as you please. (As a shortcut, you can drag a folder (or file) into the terminal window to append the file directory instead of writing it manually)
    2. Run ln '~/Dropbox/Asset Store-5.x' '~/.local/share/unity3d/Asset Store-5.x' This will create a symbolic link for the folder from your Dropbox back into the default location, so Unity will still see the folder as if it wasn't moved. Think of a link as an intelligent shortcut. (Use the same directories from the previous command, in opposite order.)
    Or Through File Manager:
    1. Open two file manager windows
    2. Open the directory where you want the Asset Store downloads to be, and press CTRL+L in the other one and type or paste in: ~/.local/share/unity3d, then press enter.
    3. Middle-click + drag the Asset Store-5.x folder into the other window, and select 'move'.
    4. Middle-click + drag the Asset Store-5.x you've just moved, and drag it into the other window (where it was before), but this time select 'link'. (Think of a symbolic link as an intelligent shortcut.)
    I am uncertain if the link will get updated if you move the folder in your Dropbox, but in case you want to move it, you can always create a new link. Edit: if you move or rename the target folder, you will have to remove the previous link, and create a new one. (You can freely move or rename the link, however in this case it needs to keep the name and location of the folder you've moved.) To remove a file through terminal, use the rm [file location] command.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    Evolve3721 and knobby67 like this.
  3. knobby67

knobby67

Thanks I was hoping it would just be a menu/properies item I'd missed :s

4. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

a more idiotic place for their default location could not exist.

Murphy219 likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Now that I know where they are downloaded, I move them manually but it would be best if we would be asked where we want the assets packages to be downloaded in the first place.

6. Poly_Count

Poly_Count

What a pain in the ace

7. Poly_Count

Poly_Count

Store takes tons of space , one would think there would be an option for selecting directory by default.
    Why in the world would they hide it in "hidden" files, and they dont let you browse your downloaded assets in package manager when offline. kinda lame.