Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Serious Android bugs still in Unity 5.2.0f2!

Discussion in '5.2 Beta' started by Meltdown, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Meltdown

Meltdown

I logged this bug a while back, and it was reproduced successfully.

This is a serious bug, rendering the UI of my Android app unusable.

Also on a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro, all I get is a black screen when running the app.

This is now an issue on 3 different Android devices, all of which are very popular. I'm really surprised this hasn't been fixed yet.

This is having Clear Flags set to Solid Color, Depth Only, or even Don't Clear, all have the same issue.

We're pretty much unable to release our app on Android with this issue holding us back.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    maiko, scorpionz and MrEsquire like this.
  2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I just dont get whats going on with Android!! There number of long threads in the forums going back to Unity 5.1 releases even and people are indeed logging bugs but little feedback from Unity team!

- Black Screen Issues ( no info why this happens on some devices not others? )
    - Permissions problems (uneeded permissions used) ( Should be fixed in 5.2 but we shall see)
    - Poor performance issues ( some things on roadmap but not assigned to a release - should be more urgent)
    - UI issues

Its indeed impossible test all Android devices but some feedback on why these issues are happening would be nice.

You killed of Blackberry support, so this should least free some resources..

Meltdown likes this.
  3. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

@Meltdown, I took a quick look at your case and it was (possibly wrongly?) marked as a duplicate of a myriad of other cases where the project didn't have a fullscreen camera or the main camera set to 'Don't clear'.

Running a quick test on the devices I have available didn't show any issues if I set the Camera to clear. Could it be you are hitting a different issue than the one you submitted? The issue has been reassigned back to QA so they can test on a wider range of devices.

4. Meltdown

Meltdown

My case came back with the following from your QA on 29 July...
    We have been able to reproduce this bug and have sent it for resolution with our developers.

Ok that's all very nice, but where is the bug fix?????

I have black screens or scrambled artifacts on the 3 different Android devices I am testing the project on. Making it untestable, and unreleasable.

I am building with a Mac, and whether I use Unity 5.1.2 or 5.2.0f2, it's all the same!

Have you guys tried building off a Mac?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  5. Meltdown

Meltdown

@bitter
    I tried building from a Windows PC too now. Did a complete re-import etc etc.
    No difference, still tons of artifacts.

6. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

First of all your bug case (711585) - "Using camera that is set not to clear flags causes major artifacts after rotating a device"
    That is sort of expected behavior. You need to set the camera to clear to avoid artifacts.

Now, the other thing you describe, scrambled artifacts and black screens - do you see them when using the project you attached to the bug report or is that a different scene or project? The reason I ask is because I was trying the attached project and I couldn't reproduce any of those issue after I set the camera to clear with "solid color".

7. Meltdown

Meltdown

The title for case 711585 you have stated is not the correct title. The correct title of the bug is the following
    "Don't clear camera causes screen artifacts on multiple Android devices"

I'm not sure where you got the 'rotation' title from, as the bug I logged has nothing to do with rotating a device.

Which devices did you test on? I am having the issues with a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. Both are running Android 4.4.2

I have added an updated project link to the case.

It was reproduced by your QA department on 29 July. What I would like to know is when will it be fixed?

I'm pretty much sitting here with 2 devices that I can't test anything on, and I have one very pissed off client.

@SpiriTx Can you please get this escalated.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  8. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

QA managed to reproduce the issue only when Camera was set to Don't Clear. The new project you submitted also has the Camera set to Don't Clear. As long as the Camera is set to don't clear I too get artifacts, but setting the Camera Clear Flags to Solid Color makes them go away.

Can you please confirm you still have problems with the Camera Clear Flags set to Solid Color?

There are many versions of the devices you mentioned. Can you please let us know the model number or better yet, the fingerprint of the device (>adb shell getprop ro.build.fingerprint).

I'm not trying to make you prove the bug, or argue with you - I'm trying to get a solid repro case so I can fix the issue.

Meltdown likes this.
  9. Meltdown

Meltdown

@bitter I have run some more builds now on the devices and can confirm it is only when the camera is set to Don't Clear. For some reason Solid Color now seems to work. Perhaps I was not setting the correct camera when I last previously tested.

Now the problem is on this project, I need the camera to be set to Don't Clear, as I need to mix UI and 3D elements on different cameras, so obviously having a Solid Color will block out one or the other.

How can I resolve this or do I need to wait for a fix? What I would like to know is there an ETA for this fix?

Thanks for the help. I know you are doing your best, it just gets frustrating sometimes.

10. iivo_k

iivo_k

Unless I misunderstood something, you just need to clear with the first camera. If all the cameras in a scene are set to Don't Clear, it will cause problems.

11. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

What @iivo_k said - If you have multiple cameras rendering to the same buffer only the first camera should be set to clear. Depending on how you expect the 3D geometry to interact with your UI you may also want to set the UI camera to clear depth only.

The use case where all cameras are set to Don't Clear will most likely never be fixed in the way you'd like it to. There are other projects that rely on the fact that Unity doesn't do an implicit clear when all Cameras are set to Don't Clear.

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

@bitter
    The repro I provide though only has one active camera set to Don't Clear, which causes artifacts. So this is a bug right?

13. iivo_k

iivo_k

No, it's not. The first rendering camera in the scene must always clear the buffer. If you have multiple cameras, the others can be set to don't clear.

14. Meltdown

Meltdown

Ok I'm confused now, because Unity QA told me this was a bug and was reproduced and handed over to developers on 29th of July.

If this was expected behaviour why was the case not just closed and I was told at the very beginning and I wouldn't have wasted hours and hours on this and creating a thead on the forums about it??

@bitter can you please clarify? If this is not a bug why wasn't the case just closed and I was informed it's expected behaviour???

15. iivo_k

iivo_k

He just clarified it in the previous message and said the functionality probably won't be changed. QA may not know it's expected behaviour, they just confirmed the behaviour and sent it forward. Why don't you just set the camera to clear and move on?

16. bitter

bitter

Unity Technologies

Yes, what @iivo_k said is correct. In this case QA managed to reproduce the issue but didn't actually look at the case closely enough to determine it was expected behavior. We are working on making this more apparent in the Editor game view but current we don't have an ETA on that functionality.

Meltdown likes this.
  17. Meltdown

Meltdown

Thank you, now I can move on with my life :)