Search Unity

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@shamsfk yeah, I see what you mean. By that logic no one should ever say anything about things they'll do in future because we have no control on that ;). Anything can happen anytime and can make us break our promises.

Anyway, I was a bit depressed with all this the other day and I needed something to entertain myself, so I took the source code of Mono soft-debugger and I worked in it on that problematic part which prevents it to debug its own process for about two hours. It wasn't as easy as I expected, but it's definitely doable! So don't take this as a promise (or especially as a reason to get me depressed in hope that I'll do more work on that :p) but I think we'll have the debugger. One day - and I don't know when is that day! :)

On the other hand, I already have a prototype that can set and remove breakpoints, suspend and resume an external process such as a build of the Unity project running on PC, Mac, or mobile devices! This needs some more work on Si3 UI and it can be shipped. Would that be may something that's enough to make you happier? No promises, but if yes, then I could find some time for that.

2. shamsfk

shamsfk

@Flipbookee I tend always to regret the fact I said or wrote something negative, and this is once again the case. Of course, the debugger will make Si a real deal, and the idea of integrated IDE as I said way earlier is incredible by itself.

Flipbookee likes this.
  3. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

@Flipbookee never take it personal when someone criticize your work.
    Don't feel depressed about it, keep in mind that the ones pointing out to potential pitfalls are the ones who actually care about what you're doing, and as result they have expectations to see it evolve.

When I was working on Unity games, we all used Script Inspector and was awesome addition to our toolset :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  4. Arisha

Arisha

Flipbookee, My only negative (sorry for it) was provided just by the idea to make SI3 the part of UnityEditor (and naming it as IDE). Even with debugger, refactoring, code folding (etc.) it's not enough to do it. It will kill the way for new really good solutions to see the light. And throw us away for a long time (working in SI3 is killing me, sorry).
    Just compare the source code size of Core-s (even without extensions) of most REAL IDEs and yours. I think it's in about 1 mass against 100 (or 1000) mass. Do you really think all that 99 (or 999) parts are not useful? Of course it's useful. And these make an IDE comfortable.
    No good SI3 internal structure (OOP, a lot of props, etc.) is not bad by itself (I know C and classic C++ style programming, and even Asm). It's bad because the project is lesser flexible, not extendable, full of shadowed bugs and hard debugging (you said, often you can't reproduce community bugreports).
    You said a lot of words about community. But I think a lot of them are beginners and didn't see VS at all. Some of them started programming just working with Unity. Of course they prefer limited SI3 (but integrated) than external powerful IDE.
    I didn't undestand: do you think MonoDevelop has a bad OOP? MonoDevelop is a successor of SharpDevelop. SharpDevelop from the scratch was AMAZING structured in all fields of implementation. All in it is plugin (even Editor, etc.). So MonoDevelop is very flexible and extendable.
    I don't think it will save the project... Sorry it's just my opinion. It will be just some another feature. But in common SI3 will stay the amateur not professional uncomfortable stuff.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  5. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

@Arisha why don't you offer to join the development of SI3, It seems like you know how to make it better.
    Right now it's just not helpful the way you talk.

Flipbookee likes this.
  6. Arisha

Arisha

Flipbookee asked; I just answered. No more. Or you prefer to receive just positive reviews?!
    I consider the product utopian by it's realization, so I have no desire to take part in it

7. sngdan

sngdan

@Arisha

I am a big fan of SI3 and also of constructive criticism.

If I get your point right, it’s kind of saying don’t try as a single developer to create a better version of photoshop. I would agree this sounds like mission impossible and for sure all features of photoshop are useful. So you kind of can only loose in feature comparison. The big question is how many of those do you use 90% of the time?

I am a fan of SI3 not because it has better features than say VS or Mono. I am a fan of it because it is lightweight and good enough for 95% of my needs. The rest of the time I use an external IDE.

I understand in your case SI3 does not offer enough - point taken. It’s not the right product for you - he offered a refund, go for it ;)

But I would love to hear from you what key features (or by the sound of it, enhancements to current features) in your view would make SI3 close the gap. This would be a meaningful feedback that might inspire @Flipbookee to enhance the product.

Edit:
    Or is your concern calling SI3 an IDE? And you see it’s value as it is but not as a full IDE replacement? So you are more concerned by its description?

Flipbookee likes this.
  8. Arisha

Arisha

No, you didn't get my point right.
    Ok, I hope it will be my last participating in these stupid holivars (opponents don't want to hear; they just want to say theirs "truth"). My recomendations to Flipbookee:
    Relax for a some time and don't touch SI3. Just to calm down from the project and it's realization. Spend time with family & friends, selebrate Christmas, meet New Year, do sport, read books, look films. Just have a full rest. Then, somewhere in January turn back and with fresh eyes try to look into your project. And firstly try to make full restruct (reenginering) and prepare the project for future extending. It will take some time (maybe week or two or month). And only after that resume any developing and moreover extending with some useful functionality. I did it several times in my work and it brought great results. 1-2 months without project gives deeper understanding.
    If you will try to make some new useful into the current state it will just much more complicates the project.
    I think so.

9. sngdan

sngdan

@Arisha

Thx for your response. Sad I did not get your point. I am very open to hear each persons point of view and try understand it. I think no one in this conversation tries to shut off someone, each one just presents his/her point of view.

So you are challenging the code structure of SI3 itself. At least this point I understand.

Flipbookee likes this.
  10. Arisha

Arisha

Better. In previous post I wrote:
    If Flipbookee will continue to develop in this way, I think the project will not became better. It will just much more complicates the project.

11. sngdan

sngdan

I saw the unity source code - we are all doomed ;)

Fair point though and something for flipbookee to think about. Based on my understanding of your posts, I was thinking your main issue was with SI3 functionality and I was courious what those were.

Flipbookee likes this.
  12. Arisha

Arisha

I think you saw a refactoring version. Still it's not a real source code. But yes, refactoring version seems crazy. In most cases it's because state machine technique and terrible functional IMGUI (hate it).

13. sngdan

sngdan

Edit: sorry this was not on topic for the thread

This was actually a joke, I did not see any source. I am a self taught programmer and learned it on the c64 - in the beginning just with the assembler Monitor of the action cadridge. Later with an assembler for some comfort like auto unrolling loops to gain speed or moving code in memory without hard coded pointers...I have seen so many things that should not have seen the light of day and they worked (somehow - not saying it is any good)

Flipbookee likes this.
  14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Fair enough. I appreciate all the advices and this a very good point!

But see, there are more reasons than you would imagine for the code being as it is. Si3 is the fastest code editor on Earth and of course its code is not same as in the other IDE's, otherwise it would be only as fast or as slow as everything else. I'll explain, just keep reading:

For instance, most of the time I test Si3 by working on its own source code. This doubles my productivity as I do two things at once - testing and programming.

Then, using Si3 for writing its own code is also the reason why Si3 is so fast - I can easily notice if I change something that degrades its performance. To make performance issues more noticeable, some of its scripts are intentionally large. FGTypeSystem.cs for example contains dozens of classes that would normally go in separate files and it is 13000 lines long! This hasn't been done to make the code unreadable or less maintainable, but to put Si3 on a stress test with a really, really long script. If opening or editing such a long script becomes slower, it will affect me first before anyone else. That is also forcing me to fix the performance issue before I do any other more entertaining task. In return I get a programming tool that is extremely fast and responsive, so that it actually improves my productivity - it gets quadrupled now!

There are more reasons why Si3 is the fastest code editor for Unity. Look at the code, you'll notice in many places that things I could do in a single line of code using LINQ are actually done in a weirdest possible and almost unreadable way. This is like that to maximize its performance by avoiding allocations on heap. I know it looks ugly, but that's the only way to make the code run 20 or 50 times faster than it would run otherwise. You may not like that, I don't like that as well, but it has to be like that.

Next, OOP is great for keeping complex projects under control. But that doesn't come for free either. It costs a little bit of CPU time that easily adds up in a tool that does a complex tasks, such as code analysis. Code analysis requires very deep recursion to resolve even a single code symbol. Polymorphism and virtual methods are a great tool to simplify complex tasks, but that affects the performance with each method call by only a little bit, but when there are hundreds of calls made for resolving one symbol and you want to resolve several hundreds of symbols in a few milliseconds, those virtual methods start to make some noticeable difference.

You also mentioned "a lot of props" - what's that? A lot of properties? How is that bad for C# code?

Right, so far @Arisha only explained the concern about Si3's code quality. I understand the concern and some things can be improved, while some other things must stay as they are...

@Arisha, I'm also very interested to hear what is making Si3 uncomfortable to use it? This is even more important for me than your other concerns. Si3 looks amazing from my point of view, but that doesn't matter if it actually looks very bad from users' perspective...

Hehe, yeah I know! :) I just had such a break from Si3, not by my own will, but I still think it counts as a long break. :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  15. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It looks native to unity, thats a good thing.
    and works amazing fast, especiallly when installing the save by keyboard shortcut, it realy makes the code chances the fastest out there.

Flipbookee likes this.
  16. Arisha

Arisha

Flipbookee,
    It's your choice. You prefer always to carry a loaded cart just to be sure it can. I think it is not productive. For this case for a long period developers use unit tests, speed tests, test robots, etc. Also the main thing of OOP: tested part is working (test, close and use). Why always to test all? It's not professional.
    - "Props" - sorry, English. Maybe "crutch" will be better.
    - "Speed" - It seems like a FANATICISM... On the empty place. The ONE ONLY thing that really matters is no need to switch to MD or VS and lose time for solution regeneration. THAT's ALL. All other things are just absolutely no resonable.I havn't any problems with speed in VS or MD (my solution has thousands of source code files). Maybe you are working on x386? It's really very strange and seems like it's one only advantage of SI3... But how I can feel it? How I can use this advantage if I doesn't feel the difference?
    - And the last thing is large files. More than 2000 lines is bad programming. More than 10000 - crazy programming. Who need it? 1% of users (or even less)? And because of them you are ready to lose the code and program structure quolity? I think if for these large files editor will work 50% slower - it's not a thing you need to worry. But: I have 3rd party sources in my project with more than 10000 lines. And I haven't any problems with it in VS. It's really looks like you found a problem where it does not exist. Everywhere just "faster...faster...faster..." - like a mantra. I never heard that some one has a real troubles with speed of code editor.
    - "Crutch"-es, tons of if/else, Linq, etc. The main thing: optimization of 10% of source code makes 90% speed optimization. Other parts - just stupid time spend. No need to optimize all code. And of course no need to optimize macro-structure. Much more better to have good OOP logic.
    I don't agree. And don't like
    Again "speed"?! He-he... Looks like collective insanity from scratch... Are you all prefer pre-Pentium PCs?

17. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

At this point in time it seems like your behaving like someone who is on a rant, please tell me I'm wrong. and that you want to genuinly give positive critisism on order to make the SI3 better.

18. Arisha

Arisha

Flipbookee asked; I answered. Just arguments. No more.
    I have no purpose to do positive critisism or negative. I just call things by their names.
    P.S.
    Lars-Steenhoff, dirrectly for you:
    "...That isn't a reason to post discouraging comments to publishers though..." - If the publisher really want to make a good project - these are the best comments for him (unlike "super extra excelent good"). My comments argumented.
    But if publisher just want to get money - it's not my problem.
    Comment about your game (hope it helps): graphics, physics and animations - 2000-2004

19. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

sure it helps to point out the weak points, Im for that, just arguments about amatuer and profesional are not what seems the be the way I would label things. Thanks for the feedback.I hope you also see my point.

Flipbookee likes this.
  20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, point taken... Thanks man!

@Rocktavious, thanks for your awesome review :) You rock! :cool:

21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, hey, I have some good news for you folks :)

Script Inspector 3
    version 3.0.20

is available on Asset Store now :cool:
    This is what's new in it:
    - Added option to use Space instead of Tab characters for code indentation
    - Fixed auto-indenting comments on Paste - thanks @jrDev
    - Fixed position of SI Console Auto-focus button in Unity 2017.x
    - Fixed deprecated field compile warning in Unity 2017.2

Enjoy! :D

John-G and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  22. PLKTTMKR

PLKTTMKR

Hi there, I updated the plugin and I got this error:
    Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextBufferManager.cs(84,21): error CS0123: A method or delegate `ScriptInspector.FGTextBufferManager.OnPlaymodeStateChanged()' parameters do not match delegate `System.Action<UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange>(UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange)' parameters

Assets/Plugins/Editor/ScriptInspector3/Scripts/FGTextBufferManager.cs(85,21): error CS0123: A method or delegate `ScriptInspector.FGTextBufferManager.OnPlaymodeStateChanged()' parameters do not match delegate `System.Action<UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange>(UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange)' parameters

I'm using 2017.2.0f3

Flipbookee likes this.
  23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, thanks @jonas-auh! I'll check that immediately...

PLKTTMKR likes this.
  24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@jonas-auh, you are awesome! Thanks for the quick heads up :)

I just updated Si3 to version 3.0.20f - please update your copies from the Asset Store again ;)

Sel, Lars-Steenhoff and PLKTTMKR like this.
  25. PLKTTMKR

PLKTTMKR

I appreciate your fast response!
    Just updated and is working like a charm!

Thanks for this nice asset.
    Have a nice day! ;)

Flipbookee likes this.
  26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, hey! Did you folks see this cool video about Si3 made by @Selzier?

And this is how cool the winners of those two vouchers were selected:

Thanks @Selzier and congrats to the winners! I'm looking forward to see you both here soon :)

27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey folks, if you're using Si3's new option to insert spaces instead of tabs, please apply this quick fix for a bug discovered by @tosiabunio:
    It will be great if some of you could do this small change locally, test it, and let me know how it works for you... Many thanks in advance! :)

tosiabunio likes this.
  28. Lanslot

Lanslot

where is the hotkey list, and can i customize hotkey,or you can add this function

Flipbookee likes this.
  29. Lanslot

Lanslot

SweatyChair and Flipbookee like this.
  30. Lanslot

Lanslot

upload_2017-12-14_13-1-20.png
    could you add a function to show all the Construct params?

Flipbookee likes this.
  31. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @Lanslot, this is the list for OS X:
    https://www.cheatography.com/flipbookee/cheat-sheets/script-inspector-3-os-x/

And this one is for Windows:
    https://www.cheatography.com/sarper/cheat-sheets/script-inspector-3-windows/

I started working on hotkeys customization some time ago, but that turned to be a big task and I never finished that. I still have that on my Perforce server, so I may finish it one day...

Feel free to recommend additional hotkeys and I'll add them if they don't clash with some of the Unity's built-in hotkeys :)

32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, this has been on my TODO list for awhile, but it always gets pushed by higher priority tasks...

I see, this has to be fixed! Seems like the return type of the lambda expression is not recognized when it's written in that form, but I can fix that. It works fine when it's written in this form:
    Lambda.png

33. Lanslot

Lanslot

A little advice:
    dont combine save and compile
    in factly, unity will auto check all the scripts' changes
    such as :
    i type a space in this script,then i delete it quickly
    the script shouldn't be recompiled.
    :)

Flipbookee likes this.
  34. SweatyChair

SweatyChair

Not a crucial bug but SI couldn't find variables in generic parent class 2 level above:
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class GrandParent<T> : MonoBehaviour where T : GrandParent<T> {
    2.    public static T instance;
    3. }
    Code (csharp):
    1. public class Parent<T> : GrandParent<T> where T : GrandParent<T> {
    2. }
    It works if a Child directly inherent GrandParent:

However, it won't work (no suggestion and false "unknown symbol" error) if Child inherent Parent:

Scripts can be compiled and run, it just the warning bothering me...

Flipbookee likes this.
  35. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Can SI3 know about defines coming from the mcs.rsp file (see bottom of this page)? I have that file with some define but the text inside that define is all greyed out.

Flipbookee likes this.
  36. sngdan

sngdan

Flipbookee likes this.
  37. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey @Lanslot, can you explain what you mean please? Is this about Unity compiling scripts when you save a file from Si3 after adding a space, then deleting it?

38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@SweatyChair, that's a really nice find! Thanks, it should be easy to fix that :)

39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh, I thought I've fixed that? Thanks man, I'll check again...

40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Weekend and the whole week after are all booked for Si3! No holidays for me... ;)

I almost got that part working last weekend, so this will be supported very soon!

41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yay, I just fixed this! :) And it already works better than Visual Studio :cool: as VS doesn't take those defines into account at all.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

43. sngdan

sngdan

Exciting. Let’s see how this works in practice. Will be upgrading to 2017.3 despite the typical early issues it seems to have, just to test this out. Great that you took the time.

By the way, will this also allow to hide SI3 assets in the various search boxes of unity? Ie when looking for sprites or scripts, SI3 assets were included previously in the lists of assets. Not really important but a nice to have....just curious....

Flipbookee likes this.
  44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

No, ;) all assets are still in the project, even the scripts that get compiled in a user defined assembly. The new assemblies only contain compiled scripts, if I understood right, so all other assets are still taken from their current location under the Assets folder structure.

45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

There's only one issue about this - I cannot know which .rsp file will be used by Unity. It seems like the rules about these have been changing with different versions of Unity, so older versions of Unity prefered to use gmcs.rsp, then at some point that changed to smcs.rsp, while in the latest version the mcs.rsp is prefered. And if the most prefered .rsp file doesn't exist then the latest Unity would try to sometimes use smcs.rsp and sometimes gmcs.rsp... Unless the build target is set so that Unity would use Microsoft compiler, in which case csc.rsp will be used, but seems like, only in a build and not in the Editor...

I don't even think anyone understand the rules here, so I'm guessing people just duplicate their .rsp files to all possible name variations. But I'm not sure about that, so can someone please explain this?

Anyway, I think this doesn't deserve spending more time on it, so I can simply make Si3 to look for mcs.rsp, and if that doesn't exist to check the other variations, so that the first .rsp file found will be used. Would that work for you guys? :)

46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey folks! @qVadro, who is a huge fan of Si3, has recorder a couple of YouTube videos while making a match-3 game in Unity using Zenject and Si3, of course :cool:

I hope you'll enjoy watching them :) and don't forget to hit the "thumb up" button if you do ;) and to subscribe to his channel for updates.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    tosiabunio likes this.
  47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yay! I just fixed this as well :) thanks to @SweatyChair's perfect repro-case :cool: and it will be released with next update...

tosiabunio likes this.
  48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Okay, apparently monospaced-font-in-the-console with 451 votes is a much more desired improvement for the Unity Editor than make-scriptinspector-the-default-unity-code-editor with only "406" votes, so I thought I'd rather be doing that than working on Si3, only to show how easy it is to "fix" that in Unity with a simple short script like this:

MonospaceConsole.png

I can't believe people have waited for 7 years for this script instead of trying to write the script... Lazy people :p

shamsfk and tosiabunio like this.
  49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey, hey! I wanted to share this video review of Si3 :cool: which shows off some of its features that weren't shown in any of the other reviews. It's also cool that it points out both the good things and the bad things about using Si3 in Unity.

Please share it! :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  50. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

A few questions:

1) Is there a way to customize the shortcuts?
    2) Is there a way to rename/refactor a symbol?
    3) Is there a way to auto-generate event handlers?
    4) Can the save shortcut save all open/changed scripts?
    5) Is there a shortcut to automatically show resolve options (automatically add using definitions, etc)?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018