Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 2017.3 is here!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jacob_Unity, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

Unity 2017.3 is now available on the download page and read the release notes.

Read the blog post for full details.
    • 360 video
    • Cloth improvements
    • Cinemachine Improvements
    • New Transform Tool
    • Particle System improvements
    • Standard Particle Shaders
    • Assembly Definition Files
    • 32 bit Mesh Index Buffers
    • GPU Instancing improvements
    • Dynamic Resolution
    • Async Compute Runtime
    • Crunch Compression Library Update
    • Xbox One X Support
    • Recorder
    • Standard Events
    • Progressive Lightmapper improvements (Preview)
    Remember to back up your projects before downloading the latest version of Unity. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report so it can reach our developers. Future patch releases for fixes will be found here.

Thanks again to all the users who helped with testing and giving us feedback on 2017.3 while it was in beta! Notice that we’ve locked the 2017.3 beta forum, so please create your new threads in the appropriate sections of the Forum.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the info! :)

Any idea when will the next beta version come out? The doc is already available: https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documentation/Manual/ but the beta page is empty.

The executable comes as a setup (528 mB) instead of a download assistant (+- 800 kB) ( now?

Edit: Okay, the executable on this page is a download assistant: https://store.unity.com/download/thank-you?thank-you=personal&os=win&nid=522

The one on that page you post a link to in your post is a setup: https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-2017.3.0

I had never noticed that there was a difference between the two pages. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2017
  3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Nice. I can finally try HDR lightmaps. And I hope lightmaps can be saved with prefabs this time... been having so many issues with this

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  4. Esteban-Gallardo

Esteban-Gallardo

It looks like you have dropped the support for WWWForm. It's no longer working. No data reachs the server.

5. Squirrelnaut

Squirrelnaut

Can we get more info on what the Async Compute Runtime is?

6. spacefrog

spacefrog

Hi - Samsung Tizen and Samsung TV support files are still listed but lead to a broken download link. I suppose both of those modules now are EOL'd and no longer provided ?

Edit:
    Apparently i'm right as the release notes state the following

Please finally remove those links from your template that generates those download pages, as such link error just leads to further confusion...

charlesb_rm likes this.
  7. aubergine

aubergine

Wohoo, trees finally cast shadows on terrain :)

EDIT: Even it bakes the lightmapped trees on terrain at first, if you try it the second time, it wont overwrite the previous lightmap throwing an error "Baking lightmap failed" with no explanation. Still it Works after all these years :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  8. Mimicry

Mimicry

error CS1061: Type `UnityEngine.Texture' does not contain a definition for `imageContentsHash' and no extension method `imageContentsHash' of type `UnityEngine.Texture' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Target platform is Android

9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Mimicry and charlesb_rm like this.
  10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Wow. The HDR lightmaps are VERY nice... and I can use low bounce values to light my scenes. And the Bakes Prefab Lightmaps script works wonders here, but we lose light probe information in standalone builds :-(. We have to fix that, guys.

This is crucial especially for character based games. I use the UFE asset and the way levels are designed for it, make it impossible to save light probe data.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  11. LaneFox

LaneFox

Anyone else failing to start it because Unity Package Manager Server fails to load up? Tried some cmd line thing, host file change and virus/firewall whitelisting but it still doesn't work.

MacBoe likes this.
  12. polytropoi

polytropoi

@Esteban-Gallardo are you sure WWWForm isn't working? how about using MultipartFormSection? WWWForm is still listed in the docs, even for 2018, although it's a holdover from the Old Way, it's the only way I've been able to post from iOS.

13. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Do you have a proxy? This an issue that we have seen in the past. Sadly, one final fix did not make it into the final 2017.3 release.
    Look at this post for things you can try: https://answers.unity.com/answers/1436360/view.html

charlesb_rm likes this.
  14. LaneFox

LaneFox

It's the network at work, so I'm not exactly certain how it is setup but I did things listed in that post and it did not resolve the issue. Will test at home later - which has a much more straightforward network.

charlesb_rm likes this.
  15. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Hi Anne, we're aiming at having a beta for 2018.1 in the beginning of January. Stay tuned!

elbows and dadude123 like this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah, I should have bet... ;)

Thank you! :D

charlesb_rm likes this.
  17. milox777

milox777

Why is Asset Refresh feature FAR slower than it was in 2017.1? It was that way in 2017.2, and now still in 2017.3 it's still noticeably slower. When I minimize Unity Editor, then I try to bring it back, it freezes for a a good 10 seconds, when before it was 2-3 seconds basically instantaneous like it was for many years, and it's much harder to bring it back, like I click and nothing happens, then I get a Windows chime sound, then have to click it again to bring it back. It's very frustrating and bad workflow, it's especially noticeable in big projects, but even in smaller ones it still happens.

I could just disable automatic Asset Refresh, then just press the Ctrl+R, but it's not the workflow I'm used to.

18. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

When you'll update the roadmap?

19. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

The roadmap for 2018.1 is almost fully up-to-date. We will start building the one for 2018.2 soon. Is that what you are waiting for?

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  20. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

21. MacBoe

MacBoe

Yup, I had to revert back to 2017.2.0f3 so I could open my projects again.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  22. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

As for the roadmap I love to see some work flow improvements, and estimates on these;

- Im interested when the asset importing will be done on the background. it takes away many hours of my day that I can't use unity while importing my projects from 5.6 to 2017.3.

- interested when unity layers will get its own window.

- interested when nested prefabs will come
    - GPU lightmapper ETA
    - timeline events when?
    - visual scripting when?
    - 2d smart sprite when?
    - why do you remove substance designer build in material support?
    - why is the asset store so slow in unity, I have like 300 assets bought and loading the purschased list takes few minutes. its just an html page, should not take that long. ( 50 MBit connection)

John3D, KRGraphics and Nateply like this.
  23. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

This issue came up during 2017.2 beta:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/asset-import-refresh-performance-got-worse.496025/

According to the Public Issue Tracker, this issue should be fixed in 2017.2 though:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...er-in-unity-2017-dot-2-0a2-and-later-versions

Perhaps they didn't fix it for 2017.3 or it sneaked in again. Submitting a bug-report is probably a good idea, so they can take another look at it.

24. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    charlesb_rm likes this.
  25. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yeah. Seems odd that something more complicated like the Asset Store is able to work everywhere, but something like package manager doesn't.

Tried it at home and no issues, so it does seem likely a network issue. Staying on 17.2 for now.

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Going from <any> 2017.1 version to 2017.3 final has been a massive stability *increase* for me. Things are far more stable. Unity was crashing (hard crash no bug reporter) 10 times a day with 2017.1 regardless of patch, and this has stopped with 2017.3 so I'm just going to pray to the great kernel in the sky.

(anyone having issues with Untiy 2017.3 please drop case numbers and so on, you know the score ladies and gents).

charlesb_rm likes this.
  27. Esteban-Gallardo

Esteban-Gallardo

Yes, it's broken, you can not send a POST HTTP request in any way. I had to roll back to previous version 2017.2. I suppose mobile developers working in Free2Play are not going to be happy about it.

28. mmcconnell1618

mmcconnell1618

Retina full screen on MacOS is behaving properly now with 2017.3. Thank you!!

charlesb_rm likes this.
  29. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

Yes, of course. I am looking forward to see 2018.2 plans.

30. Aedous

Aedous

The editor seems a bit faster, maybe that's just me :D, think I'll have to downgrade though :(, there is a tremendous slow down on the Animation Window, but I think it's only when using Animator component with a lot of layers / multiple animation clips.
    Not quite sure what the actual problem is, but works fine with other Animator components with less animation clips / layers. Make its pretty unusable at the moment :(

31. PhilSA

PhilSA

well... this one still invalidates using any Unity version above 2017.1 for me: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...erpolate-makes-a-small-hiccups-while-rotating

It is a deal-breaking problem for any game that has rigidbody characters in them. Unity doesn't seem to realize the importance of this problem, because the official response has been "we'll wait for PhysX 3.4 and maybe it'll improve things a bit"

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I spoke too soon, got a hard crash without bug reporter popping up. Seems more stable but by how much I don't know. Funnily enough it might be the patch, we'll see.

33. Ryiah

Ryiah

A thread in the New Input section of the forums has a link to a beta that it says is "based on the upcoming 2018.1 beta".

https://forum.unity.com/threads/input-system-update.508660/page-2#post-3329735
    http://beta.unity3d.com/download/4f520c3a3153/public_download.html

It's intended to test the latest attempt at a new Input system though and has no release notes so who knows what else.

PhilSA likes this.
  34. John3D

John3D

I will try it out. Thanks Unity! Merry Christmas!

charlesb_rm likes this.
  35. paifu

paifu

Thanks for the release ! When working on instantiating ui items inside a canvas group you need to reset the localposition to 0 after the transform.setparent. Before on 2017.2 an instantiate with the right position was enough. My inventory system wasn't working anymore because of that after my 2017.3 upgrade.

36. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Sounds like you found a regression. Could you please submit a bug-report following the advice given in this document?

Using the bug-reporter seems to be an important step, because it makes sure the report is in Unity Technologies bug-tracking pipeline and has to be processed at some point. Using the forum is often used to add to a little more attention to an existing bug-report, but does not replace submitting the bug-report.

It's from advantage to attach a project to the bug-report that UT can use to reproduce the issue and test their fix against, this is especially important for crash-bugs.

The easier an issue can be reproduced by QA, the more likely it is to get forwarded to a developer, who might or might not work on a bug-fix for that at some point.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a Case number. UT often asks us to post the Case number in the forum thread, which allows them to find that bug-report if they look at your post.

Following these steps will increase the chance that UT is looking at the issue tremendously.

Jacob_Unity likes this.
  37. snacktime

snacktime

Those using .NET 4.6 can get constant crashes, known issue with dll reloading supposedly fix coming out soonish. But it's not uncommon for me to have 2-3 crashes in a row just starting unity then hitting play. Crash about 40 times a day on average.

38. jdscogin

jdscogin

Not sure what is causing this. I have some Mixamo characters with animations. I have not had this issue with other versions of Unity. Now, when I import a character, it has no textures. Just white. I loaded the same project into 2017.1 and imported the character, and textures imported as they should. Loaded project back in 2017.3.0f3 and the textures are still there. Imported a different Mixamo character and no textures. Has something changed? Something else I need to do?

39. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I have an odd question about this version, but I am building a facial rig for hero characters and I am wanting to know the max bone count. I have the usual joints for a Unity character, plus 170 joints just for the face... I plan to explore filmmaking in the engine as well.

40. Deslod

Deslod

I have only problem whit this up
    now i have only crash ;/

41. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

still no retina on windows, you gotta be S***ting me!

42. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

New year, no updates on patches, no updates on beta? everyone awake?

laurentlavigne and theolagendijk like this.
  43. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

We are awake! Stay tuned.

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The Eggnog was clearly flowing freely this year I see.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  45. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

We're the 5th day already. Come on! :D

46. Deslod

Deslod

8th day :(
    Can sameone give me old ver ? i need go forward :p

laurentlavigne likes this.
  47. methos5k

methos5k

I'm not sure how it worked in the older Unity, but I personally found this bug recently. To me, I never thought it was Unity, though. I downloaded .dae (I think that's the extension) and got the textures & what not. Very odd that the Unity fbx didn't have it. :)

48. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Deslod likes this.
  49. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

When is the next patch?

theolagendijk likes this.
  50. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Jacob_Unity likes this.