Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Scene view turns white

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by sniffle63, Oct 21, 2021.

1. sniffle63

sniffle63

Hello, using HDRP is proving to be quite difficult because of how slow the scene view is to respond and how often it just all together breaks.

I'll do something simple like hit control z to undo a change on the inspector and my screen will turn white and the only way I have found to fix it is by closing and reopening unity.

Another issue is how turning the scene view lighting on and off or scene view post-processing on or off or changing any value on a shader causes a long recompiling of the shader process where everything in the scene is broken until it's done. Makes working with it very difficult, reminds me of the '90s

upload_2021-10-21_17-47-46.png

2. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

3. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

No, the white screen he's referring to is related to the "ctrl+z" bug that happened on older versions of HDRP. It only happens once per session.

@sniffle63, you don't need to restart the editor actually, you just need to hit this button, as a much faster workaround:
    upload_2021-10-22_13-8-34.png

italhaali88 and rz_0lento like this.
  4. sniffle63

sniffle63

Thank you for the suggested fix but clicking that causes all of the shaders to recompile, which arguably is not faster than reopening unity tbh. (and I'm on a nvme 2.0 drive)

Also, you said it's on an older version of HDRP but I am on 10.5.1, is this an older version?

5. sniffle63

sniffle63

btw, using control z is not the only thing that causes it. That's just the latest thing that caused it that made me want to post a post. It has been caused by quite a few things, usually, just during normal workflow it will eventually happen.

And if not this issue then the scene will just be completely unviewable for 90% of the time I'm in the editor because it's constantly recompiling and I cant see anything and as soon as it's done (after 1-5 minutes sometimes, if I'm lucky enough for it to complete at all majority of the time it just stops halfway through leaving me with a broken scene) I then need to make another change because im in dev and probably have 100+ changes to make but after each variable change I have to wait for everything to recompile. Its crazy really.

Even an option for making batch changes before the recompile isnt taht useful because I need to be able to dev in realtime instead of feeling like im back in a old model editing program having to render the scene to see my changes.

Hell if I was using baked lights it would make more sense because it would be rebaking the lightmaps, but this feels worse and more time consuming then even waiting on that

6. italhaali88

italhaali88

This works actually
    Thank you