Search Unity

Official Say hello to the new Starter Asset packages

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnityHas, Jun 9, 2021.

1. LiPingMin

LiPingMin

When I move, rotate the Angle of view, the picture will not smooth, like a double shadow, the eyes are dizzy

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I see lots of great ideas and questions here that needs evaluating, and the amazing folks who originally put these together have left some big shoes to fill.

My team will be taking over the ownership of the starter assets and will be doing our best to work on the feedback received from you all. I recommend getting our updates from the Asset Store (as opposed to hub) for now, and we will first focus on common issues and compatibility before attempting implementation of the requested new features.

We appreciate all the enthusiasm and support we see in this thread and encourage you all to continue to work with us as we offer free assets for the community!

3. ironfiftynine

ironfiftynine

Good day. I have a question about the Third Person Character Controller. I'm trying to experiment with a different model and I noticed that unless I follow the hierarchy of the PlayerArmature where the mesh of the new model should be parented to the Geometry child object, there will be some issues with the controls. When I attempted to use the mesh as the root object and attached all the required components, what happens is that pressing back will just spin the character around, and pressing jump will make the character float and not fall down at all. I would like to understand how this restriction was implemented so that I can have a better idea of implementing character movements from scratch.
    I checked the references of the attached scripts for the PlayerArmature and I don't see any explicit references to any of the child objects so I'm confused as to why the hierarchy needs to be followed. Can someone explain the logic behind this requirement? Thank you very much. :)

4. darashayda

darashayda

Hello Mr. Andy Touch

Gravely concerns about the original designers leaving Unity. Could you be kind, other than words, give us assurances in solid engineering terms which we could rely on!

We are heavily vested into Unity Controller and reading some of the words here got a chill down my spine!

Appreciate your cooperation and communications.

Dara

5. darashayda

darashayda

Again my gratitude Mr. Andy!

6. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

I no longer work at Unity so it will be up to the folks at Unity to give those assurances. :)

7. Kreshi

Kreshi

In case anyone is interested, this was created by starting with the Starter Assets and moving forward from there:

Character Controller Features:

• 2.5D + 3D Support
    • Run
    • Walk
    • Jump / Double Jump
    • Dodge
    • Melee Attack
    • Throw Axe Attack
    • Shoot Gun(s)
    • Vault
    • Ledge Climbing
    • Moving Platform Support
    • Slide Down Steep Slopes Support
    • Foot IK (iStep)
    • Aim IK
    • Freeze IK
    • Lipsync

darashayda, Deleted User and evshiron like this.
  8. darashayda

darashayda

My bad! apologies

9. darashayda

darashayda

@SpiritOfUnityChan
    Posted this to a wrong person, here we go again:

Gravely concerns about the original designers leaving Unity. Could you be kind, other than words, give us assurances in solid engineering terms which we could rely on!

We are heavily vested into Unity Controller and reading some of the words here got a chill down my spine!

My basic concern is that the Unity Controller is way behind what else is in the market and my judgement is to use Unity controller and not waste time with others. But some of the recent info here are cause for worries!

Appreciate your cooperation and communications.

Dara

10. UBGandalf

UBGandalf

Have you found any solution for your issue? This bothers me as well.

11. corvusincvr

corvusincvr

Hello all. I'm trying to establish the interaction of the character and the elevator platform.
    Has anyone already solved the problems that have arisen? And how?
    - Twitching of the character during vertical ascent
    - Sliding off the platform in the horizon
    (a character in the children)

12. MaorDany

MaorDany

No sorry!

13. MaorDany

MaorDany

Score: product 10 service 0

14. CrecerStudio

CrecerStudio

I need help!. I'm using this starter asset third person controller for mobile with mobile ui canvas using joystick. I want if player drag move joystick little then walk and if drag long then sprint, I don't want to use sprint button to sprint. So, how can i do this by c#. please help me

15. Master_Muyui

Master_Muyui

16. Master_Muyui

Master_Muyui

I have an issue when I imported the 3rd person asset. Everything is purple. I'm new to unity...what did I do wrong?

17. allhailthewraith

allhailthewraith

Hello all, newbie here, so this may be a dumb question, but for the First Person Character Controller, I am unable to change the Clipping Path of the `NestedParent_Unpack`'s MainCamera. It defaults to Near=0.2 and Far=500. When I change the value and then press enter or click out of the field, the value returns to the default. There are some other fields I can't change as well, but other I can...but I'm just focussing on the Clipping Path for now... So far I've tried:

- unpacking the `NestedParent_Unpack`
    - creating a new Original Prefab
    - creating a new Variant Prefab
    - creating a new project
    - reimorting the assets
    - restarting unity
    - restarting my computer

nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong here?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  18. Mikhail94

Mikhail94

Hi. Please help solve the problem when a character can jump over any (even almost vertically) surfaces. You just need to rest against the wall and press forward + sprint + jump.

https://i.imgur.com/0ojrjji.gif

The main problem is that the character does not slide off inclined surfaces (Slope Limit in Character Controller not working). Therefore, you can jump on any inclined surface.

https://i.imgur.com/8kZNLMg.gif

To demonstrate the problem on gifs, the building on the default test scene was tilted 10 degrees.

Starter Assets - Third Person Character Controller Version 1.1.2
    Unity 2021.3.16f1

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    Guillaume-atVolumiq likes this.
  19. evshiron

evshiron

This asset doesn't have built-in render pipeline support for Unity 2021 (described in the asset detail).
    As a result, you will have to import this asset in a URP project to get the sample scene rendered properly.

But the scripts will work in any supported version of Unity anyway.

Deleted User likes this.
  20. EtraGames

EtraGames

Hi!
    I'm making a project with these Unity Starter Assets that I want to make public on Github. How could I go about doing that since these assets have the Unity Companion License?

21. alekandrza144

alekandrza144

hello i am a beginner developer what assets can i create to make it easier to publish and get a normal return on assets

22. Kreshi

Kreshi

depends on what kind of game you want to make

23. Marvbr

Marvbr

i am having trouble with the FPS package in regards to moving plataforms. If i understand correctly, the main way to do this is via a script to parent the controller game object (in this case PlayerCapsule) into my moving platform game object. However, the PlayerCapsule game obj does not stay in the plataform. The trigger is working as intended and i can see in runtime that the the parenting script is working. Any tips on how i may resolve this?

Thanks!

24. BLInformatique

BLInformatique

Hi, can I distribute it with my asset as an uncompiled demo? Thanks in advance.;)

Deleted User likes this.
  25. Kreshi

Kreshi

Deleted User likes this.
  26. BLInformatique

BLInformatique

Thank you very much for your quick response.:)

Kreshi likes this.
  27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey there Dara,

Apologies for the delay. I appreciate your support for the starter assets and understand the challenge of having our plans as a dependency to your development. To be clear, we do not have a full development team taking the starter assets over due to resource constraints. Our highest priorities are to maintain the packs to work in all LTS versions of Unity, bug fix, and maintain compatibility with the latest version of our packages (URP, Input system, Cinemachine).
    We currently have no plans on expanding features for the assets at this time.

Hopefully this brings some clarity to your concern.

Kind Regards,
    @SpiritOfUnityChan

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

You may include the Starter Assets in your repo with the copy of the license txt file included in the packs. This will just be considered a 3rd party component within your work. Please share and create!

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

For more information on setting up URP, please look here.

30. darashayda

darashayda

Yes! That is all I ever asks from Unity management and staffers! Clarity and honesty as you rendered sincerely in your exemplar post!

Now, how can we as members of community help?

Obviously Unity is cash rich, but that is not my concern, my concern is one:

Many like do not wish to use the third party character controllers! We prefer to use Unity's which BTW we all love!

But you are moving way too slow. And that is causing is us much distress to be very honest with you. This is not a critical comment jabbing at your team. This is a plea for your attention.

Q: Why we do not wish to use other character controllers?
    A: They are hodge podge of stuff and so far from what I have seen mostly lack any hint of a DESIGN! Even a paradigm. Another version Unity comes out, it does not work properly.

I downloaded the Unity Character Controller, in one evening of joy had that robot running around in my landscape. I modified the animation and character input and it really looks terrific. Why? Because there is a design framework the code sits on top of.

I downloaded others, I have no clue is that its head or foot, mishmush of this and that.

So here we are!

Let us know how to cooperate and possibly contribute.

I hope I did not say anything offensive! Moreover you are under no obligation to respond and please do not apologize for anything.

Dara

Deleted User likes this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Very kind support from you Dara.

Fair feedback on our development speed regarding items that work well for our users. The speed of innovation can seem slow.

Do continue to be vocal to help invest in support for items that need more attention. I also remind other devs and asset publishers that they are allowed to build on top of our starter assets (due to the open licensing) and distribute their own work as add-ons for the community.

Kind Regards,
    @SpiritOfUnityChan

darashayda likes this.
  32. fernandocass

fernandocass

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEngine.InputSystem;
    5. using Cinemachine;
    6. using UnityEngine.Rendering;
    8. public class ViewSwitch : MonoBehaviour
    9. {
    10.     public InputActionReference action_view;t
    11.     private float scrolling_value;
    12.     public GameObject FollowCamera;
    13.     private CinemachineVirtualCamera cam_CV;
    14.     private Cinemachine3rdPersonFollow cam_3rd;
    15.     public GameObject Character_Mesh;
    16.     private SkinnedMeshRenderer skinnedMeshRenderer;
    17.     private float distance_1st = 0f;
    18.     private float distance_3rd = 4f;
    19.     private float distance_step = 0.2f;
    20.     private float FOV_3rd = 40f;
    21.     private float FOV_1st = 50f;
    22.     private Vector3 shouldOffset_1st = new Vector3(0f, 0.32f, 0f);
    23.     private Vector3 shouldOffset_3rd = new Vector3(0f, 0f, 0f);
    24.     private Vector3 damping_1st = new Vector3(0f, 0f, 0f);
    25.     private Vector3 damping_3rd = new Vector3(0.1f, 0.25f, 0.3f);
    27.     void Awake()
    28.     {
    29.         action_view.action.performed += _x => scrolling_value = _x.action.ReadValue<float>();
    30.     }
    32.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    33.     void Start()
    34.     {
    35.         skinnedMeshRenderer = Character_Mesh.GetComponent<SkinnedMeshRenderer>();
    36.         cam_CV = FollowCamera.GetComponent<CinemachineVirtualCamera>();
    37.         cam_3rd = cam_CV.GetCinemachineComponent<Cinemachine3rdPersonFollow>();
    38.         cam_3rd.CameraDistance = 4f;
    39.         float fraction = (cam_3rd.CameraDistance - distance_1st) / (distance_3rd - distance_1st);
    40.         cam_CV.m_Lens.FieldOfView = Mathf.Lerp(FOV_1st, FOV_3rd, fraction);
    41.         cam_3rd.ShoulderOffset = Vector3.Lerp(shouldOffset_1st, shouldOffset_3rd, fraction);
    42.         cam_3rd.Damping = Vector3.Lerp(damping_1st, damping_3rd, fraction);
    43.         cam_3rd.CameraRadius = 0.2f;
    44.         cam_CV.m_Lens.NearClipPlane = 0.1f;
    45.     }
    47.     // Update is called once per frame
    48.     void LateUpdate()
    49.     {
    50.         CameraZoom();
    51.     }
    53.     private void CameraZoom()
    54.     {
    55.         if(scrolling_value != 0)
    56.         {
    57.             if (scrolling_value > 0)
    58.             {
    59.                 if (cam_3rd.CameraDistance > distance_1st)
    60.                 {
    61.                     cam_3rd.CameraDistance = cam_3rd.CameraDistance - distance_step;
    62.                 }
    63.                 else
    64.                 {
    65.                     cam_3rd.CameraDistance = distance_1st;
    66.                     skinnedMeshRenderer.shadowCastingMode = ShadowCastingMode.ShadowsOnly;
    67.                 }
    68.             }
    70.             if (scrolling_value < 0)
    71.             {
    72.                 if (cam_3rd.CameraDistance < distance_3rd)
    73.                 {
    74.                     cam_3rd.CameraDistance = cam_3rd.CameraDistance + distance_step;
    75.                     skinnedMeshRenderer.shadowCastingMode = ShadowCastingMode.On;
    76.                 }
    77.                 else
    78.                 {
    79.                     cam_3rd.CameraDistance = distance_3rd;
    80.                 }
    81.             }
    83.             float fraction = (cam_3rd.CameraDistance - distance_1st) / (distance_3rd - distance_1st);
    84.             cam_CV.m_Lens.FieldOfView = Mathf.Lerp(FOV_1st, FOV_3rd, fraction);
    85.             cam_3rd.ShoulderOffset = Vector3.Lerp(shouldOffset_1st, shouldOffset_3rd, fraction);
    86.             cam_3rd.Damping = Vector3.Lerp(damping_1st, damping_3rd, fraction);
    87.         }
    88.     }
    89. }
    Could someone please teach me to adapt a code that I have here working perfectly on the pc using the scroll wheel, for pinch mobile? I'm using third person standard asset and new input.

33. darashayda

darashayda

@SpiritOfUnityChan Thank you for such civilized and professional and again honest reply.

I would to contribute to Unity's Character controllers, my colleagues as well, as an add-on or whatever else you might see fit.

Given your user name, I like to inform you that we are now building Unity Character Controllers (enhanced) for VRoid Hub artists. And I hope given your user name this effort resonate in future.

Examples: (I am not promoting anything here, I need to share with your person to make some points)

What you see in the Character under the player controller called

ファイヤーバードマコ【Mk0FireBird】

Took your 3rd person animation and controller code and input system and enhanced it to also do parkour. Or mix up the animations and controllers codes with your controller.

This is another character from VRoid hub called il77c by "w".

Cinemachine setup that came from your package was then augmented (I actually learned how to use Cinemachine by reading your package) to allow drones of all kinds. The Input System of your package was modified to allow more on screen buttons and soon swipes.

Basic idea is to allow these artists who are not programmers and will not be programmers, nor should they be, to easily add their amazing characters to Unity's character controller.

The latter is the reason why our team does not wish to adopt another character controller ,nor make our own which is really waste of time given your package.

Maybe in your good wisdom one of these days you find a common ground to share and cooperate.

However, your approach to managing this forum is one of the most enlightened, honest and imbued with much clarity which is what we needed apropos Character controllers.

You are not obliged to reply, I just wanted have a quick meeting of the minds, regards

Dara

Triksy and Deleted User like this.
  34. darashayda

darashayda

@SpiritOfUnityChan hello again!

I like to change the mood here and the start a new narrative so we could move forward with some exciting new ideas.

Application of Petri Nets to the Player Controllers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petri_net

http://www.digra.org/wp-content/uploads/digital-library/09287.37256.pdf

Instead of building C# add-ons to the Unity's 3rd Person Controller, I propose we add a Petri Net to the controller in order to extend its functions.

Basically these nets remove the game logic from C# and push it into some piece of data which is a network of some kind (no neural networks here).

I just want to to up the tempo here and you might not want to engage and that is perfectly acceptable, do not feel obliged.

Dara

35. Jim_Knoopf

Jim_Knoopf

Why does the "Tools" menu not appear after installing the package?
    I run it on version 2021.3.18f1

Thanks , Frank

tovabele likes this.
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello Frank,
    The "Tools" menu has been removed for simplicity and future compatibility with packages.
    We recommend dragging in the prefabs needed.

Kind Regards,
    @SpiritOfUnityChan

37. tovabele

tovabele

UnityEngine.AddressableAssets.InvalidKeyException: Exception of type 'UnityEngine.AddressableAssets.InvalidKeyException' was thrown. No Location found for Key=Config

this is as far as i got. i tried both the playground scene and creating a new scene, dragging in the prefabs as described in the documentation.

38. miriuk_unity

miriuk_unity

Is possible to change the character control and the camera for a platform 2.5d game?

39. hailexdev

hailexdev

Alright so I've had this issue for as quite some time using the newest version of the starter asset Basically the first person controller doesn't seem to update with my mouse if its moving under a certain speed. Here is a video that shows the issue I'm trying to solve https://imgur.com/a/I458JY5 has anyone had this issue before with the starter asset package, if so what was your fix?

sjarai likes this.
  40. hailexdev

hailexdev

After further testing it seems like my character input values change by factors of 0.05 which is causing the loss of precision on sub 0.05 inputs, is their functionality to have more precise input values?

sjarai likes this.
  41. Mikhail94

Mikhail94

Hi @SpiritOfUnityChan! Can we please have update about this issue (broken Slope Limit in Character Controller)?

I have previously contacted tech support and they escalated the problem to the developers. But it looks like there is still no official solution in latest version.

PS: where can I find original images with Unity-Сhan in chibi style (like in this post)? Is this some sort of sticker pack?

42. Kreshi

Kreshi

I don't think that's an issue but a missing feature of the CharacterController component.
    I added this feature as part of this showcase demo for example:
    https://istepunity.web.app/starter/
    The starter assets can be easily expanded into a full playable character controller package, see here (demo):
    https://hoaxgames.itch.io/hoax-news
    and here (demo):
    unity2023graphicalcapabilitiesthumbnail.jpg
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p8YHEXYb-u4pW4CjC50iuKigUvuNlZ75/view?usp=share_link

You have to take the starter assets for what they are - a great starter kit for creating your own custom character controller :). I had a very good experience expanding its functionality actually ;).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    Shizola and darashayda like this.
  43. darashayda

darashayda

I agree with Kreshi! From exact experience as he had. And I learned a lot from him how to deal with Unity's character controller.

Kreshi likes this.
  44. darashayda

darashayda

I must say, two things are true about this place. Firstly, Unity is a rich corporation; we are happy for them all. Secondly, they have serious issues on all fronts such as the character controller.

People who actually do new innovative things ALWAYS HAVE ISSUES AND TROUBLE, as do Unity people! Only those who sit on the bench never have any issues.

It is also true that we as the innovative outsiders have pride, and somewhere in all these we need to find room to help each other and help Unity corp; not because this is the right thing to do (because it is not!) rather it is what innovators do!

Dara

45. altepTest

altepTest

unity had fired a big chunk of their workforce. most likely those that worked on this asset are long gone so it will remain as it is.

46. Tony_Max

Tony_Max

I don't know if someone has mentioned it here, but it seems like
    ThirdPersonController.JumpAndGravity
    works a bit wrong. It uses
    _terminalVelocity
    which is hardoceded
    float
    value only used to clamp
    _verticalVelocity
    if I correctly understand comment.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // apply gravity over time if under terminal (multiply by delta time twice to linearly speed up over time)
    2. if (_verticalVelocity < _terminalVelocity)
    3. {
    4.    _verticalVelocity += Gravity * Time.deltaTime;
    5. }
    I guess it won't work as supposed, because
    _terminalVelocity
    hardcoded as positive

= 53.0f;
    value, and operation above is smoothly decreases
    _verticalVelocity
    which leads to infinite decreasing.
    I've tested it with debug inspector and if player falls it's
    _verticalVelocity
    absolute value grows above
    53f
    . In scene there is no good places to perform deep falls, so this issue never happens unless you manually translate character under the ground.
    I guess it can be simply fixed like
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // apply gravity over time if under terminal (multiply by delta time twice to linearly speed up over time)
    2. if (Mathf.Abs(_verticalVelocity) < _terminalVelocity)
    3. {
    4.    _verticalVelocity += Gravity * Time.deltaTime;
    5. }

awesomedata likes this.
  47. Kreshi

Kreshi

actually it's a bug in the code.
    The correct way of handling it is:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private float _terminalVelocity = -53.0f;
    2. ....
    3. ....
    4. ....      
    6. if (_verticalVelocity > _terminalVelocity)
    7. {
    8.     _verticalVelocity += Gravity * Time.deltaTime;
    9. }
    --> with the above code you only apply gravity if vertical velocity is not lower -53 --> therefore your player, if he falls for a very long time, won't fall with 1 million kmh :D.

darashayda likes this.
  48. darashayda

darashayda

And we are told they are not being replaced anytime soon! Still Unity's Character Controller a good well-supported package, never had issues with it and best strategy for my organization and many other is to use it as the base-code and build on top of it which I have done so far with great success.

You have two other alternatives:

1. Write your own, which will take a long time, and do not listen to the silly videos on internet about "I wrote my own character controller over the weekend", these are child-like little demos

2. Buy alternative packages from Unity Asset Store which I rarely recommend, since I bought a few and the code cannot be supported, it is written for desktops with little thought given to the mobiles and other platforms. And they are mostly obfuscation of demos like in #1 as I mentioned !

Yes there are limitations for Unity's Character Controller, management of it has been a mess but IT IS DANG GOOD PACKAGE TO START building highly quality well-supported augmented controller of your own.

Please forgive this intrusion, normally I do not participate as such, but I have seen so many people failing with their games going after alternatives. So I am hoping you fair better.

At the same time Unity has let all of us down by this messy management of their Character Controller group, but when you do serious large projects, there are always problems and mistakes and mismanagement of this sort or that sort.

I wrote these long comments since I believe this Unity Character Controller has been treated unfairly by Unity community with abysmal technical promotion by Unity management!

Dara

Triksy and christh like this.
  49. nolancoe

nolancoe

If anyone else is here because they are struggling to stop the slight camera sway or breathing type of thing the camera does when you are sitting idle.... Select PlayerFollowCamera in the hierarchy, and then in the inspector on the CinemachineVirtualCamera set the "noise" drop down box to "none". Took me like an hour of googling before i finally found someone mention that in the middle of a 20 minute video.

50. sofabivaadin

sofabivaadin

Please help me to fall !

I installed the third person controller and i dont touch anything except upgrade materials for urp, change a ramp and the grounded radius to 0.24 for the exemple.

I'm not grounded like we see on the red sphere but i don't fall !?
    Despite the move function the player stay at the same position, i wanted to know why ? Third person controller.png

Last edited: May 26, 2023