Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Running in VM, docker, or Headless

Discussion in 'Computer Vision' started by d_pepley, Aug 4, 2021.

1. d_pepley

d_pepley

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to run Unity with the perception package in a virtual machine, docker, or headless mode. Currently, the only way I know how to run my simulation is via pressing the play button in the editor. Since Unity has the ability to run training in the cloud with its Simulation service, I would assume this means there is a way to automate the running of the simulation without opening a full instance of the editor.

Thanks!

2. aryan-mann

aryan-mann

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reaching out to us! We currently do not support rendering (and thus no generation of images) in headless/batch-mode and so would presently be unable to accommodate a workflow using virtual machines/Docker.

We offer support for having Unity experts create a custom dataset for you. If you would like to learn more about this, you can reach out to the projects team directly with this form.

3. Roboserg

Roboserg

Any plans to support headless in 2022? The Company I am working for is looking into Unity Perception to be used in the cloud VM

4. shounakmitraunity

shounakmitraunity

Unity Technologies

Hi, I lead the product management for CV Tools (Perception package) at Unity. Feel free email me at shounak.mitra@unity3d.com to discuss further. thanks

5. davecazz

davecazz

Hello, following up on headless support for perception. We are looking to use cloud compute for rendering our synthetic data since we have 100,000s of images. also, our use case is that we would like to use hyper parameter tuning to control the parameters around which we create this synth data, rather than the model where we create all the data up front and just copy it to the server.

6. StevenBorkman

StevenBorkman

Although perception does not support headless rendering, you can run perception on a VM with a GPU. We regularly do this with linux/windows VMs on GCP.

I'll be excited to hear how you accomplish 'hyper parameter tuning' it is something that we have had on our roadmap for quite awhile but never got the chance to implement it. There are some changes that will need to be made to the 'FixedLenthScenario' class to fully be able to support it.

Also, with the architecture changes that were made to perception when we created the Solo format, it is now possible to create an endpoint that directly serializes data to stream so that you could have model in the loop training, and completely bypass serializing data out to disk.