Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback (Request) Filter by Downloaded/Installed Assets and Check package integrity

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by ouraf, Sep 26, 2020.

1. ouraf

ouraf

Two requests as stated in the title.

The first helps manage the Unity installation a bit better. if you have many similar assets (like a dozen free low poly tree assets from different developers), you can be sure of which one you're using or which assets you have on your machine that aren't in your project and which needs to be downloaded. (this would also help for when you want to save some space, deleting packages you don't need in unity's cache)

The second request is a feature you get from many source control managers, but would probably be beneficial in the Package manager too.

My engine has been constantly crashing while importing big assets or assets with many files and i can't say if something got corrupted along the way, so a big "verify asset integrity" button way to check the contents of the package with the manager and point broken files for replacement or missing files for download would be pretty good and more intuitive than reimport the whole project over again

2. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

I'll send this post over for you @ouraf!

ouraf likes this.
  3. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @ouraf,

I passed along this feedback to the team, here's what I found out:

"Filter by Downloaded / Installed" - So filtering by Downloaded would be straightforward for the UI to implement, they have registered this feature request. Filtering by Installed is a lot more tricky. The problem is that Asset Store packages (.unitypackage format) are imported into the project's Assets, once there it becomes difficult to keep track of what's installed. For example, users can move, rename, modify and remove files or directories. Furthermore, when importing assets from a .unitypackage, the user can choose via the checkboxes which assets they'd like to import. So the definition of "Installed" for Asset Store packages is murky - we would need to track all the imported files and determine whether a package is still fully installed, partially installed or has been removed. Compare that with the new UPM (Unity Package Manager) format where we have a project manifest that tells us what's in project and those packages are loaded from a package cache that is hidden from and should not be modified by the user - the definition of "In Project" is either true or false. So while an Asset Store "Installed" filter is not impossible, it seems unlikely to be supported considering we are moving toward the new UPM format for Asset Store packages.

"Verify asset integrity" - If you're referring to Asset Store packages (under "My Assets") this is unlikely to happen for the reasons mentioned above. The problem being a .unitypackage is like a zip archive, the Package Manager doesn't know about the contents within. It would be possible to check the integrity of the archive, though. If we know the .unitypackage was fully downloaded then there should be no issues importing individual assets from it. We can register a feature request for a package integrity check but not an asset integrity check.

Sam

ouraf likes this.