Search Unity

Remove SRP/URP from Project

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Julien-Lynge, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julien-Lynge

Julien-Lynge

Just a heads-up for whomever it might help:

Was playing around with the URP. Started a new project and chose the URP preset. After about an hour, realized I wanted to go back to the standard render pipeline. So I looked around online and found this:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/remove-lightwight-render-pipeline-from-project.536289/

I followed the instructions there - set the Render Pipeline Asset to None in Graphics. However, I was still locked into SRP - I couldn't use standard materials, and the Graphics tab told me "a scriptable render pipeline is in use."

What I eventually figured out is: you have to entirely remove the Universal RP package from the package manager. Once you do that, Unity stops trying to use a scriptable render pipeline. As soon as you reinstall the package, Unity flips over to SRP.

The documentation states:

This is misleading! Just by installing URP, your project is now using URP, and expects a Render Pipeline Asset to be assigned in Graphics.

2. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Awe no!....always backup your project. There is no way for anybody to tell what dependencies you have and a load of other information that could affect "going back" to standard. Don't ever do what you did. If you want to test out a new feature, do it in a separate blank project or tree branch in version control.

URPian and Ubrano like this.
  3. mentalgear

mentalgear

Thanks Julien, Very helpful !

4. anishgdm

anishgdm

For me I'm not able to press "Remove" on the universal RP package.

5. Sluggy

Sluggy

You are looking at a post that is close to three years old and entirely irrelevant. It is not possible to switch between the SRP and Built-In render pipelines. You'll have to pick which you want to go with at the start. If you are not sure, go through a review of the features each supports and test each one out in a separate project to ensure they work the way you need them to. If you are still not sure or you plan on relying on a lot of old shaders on the internet or asset store, then Built-In is the safest way to go for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.