Search Unity

Remote Instantiate

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by davej256, Nov 24, 2022.

1. davej256

davej256

Hello. I've been brainstorming a few ways to remotely instantiate objects on client machines. Ideally you would want a way to map them to IDs so that you don't have to deal with pesky string allocations and such over a network.

I've experimented with AssetDatabase, which allows you to return all of the prefabs in a certain folder with a GUID tagged to them along with a way to lookup the path using the GUID. Great! But you can't use it in a build.
    Next I found Resources.LoadAll() which can return all of the prefabs in a specified folder, but doesn't return the path to them or any way to tag them to an ID.

Are there any clever hacks for this? Or should I just bite the bullet and use strings?

2. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

Hi @davej256 , what Networking Framework are you using? These will usually take care of spawning for you, allowing you to spawn objects with a simple API call. Here's how it is done in Netcode For Gameobjects, for example

3. davej256

davej256

I am writing a custom framework. Regarding the link you sent, it seems a bit annoying to have to register every prefab that you want to spawn. I guess that's the answer to the problem then. I looked at photon and it seems that they don't do this, and that with their method you just place a prefab in the resources folder and attach their component to it, then instantiate via string. Very interesting.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  4. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

I'd avoid that approach. Using Resources is in general a bad practice performance and memory-wise, and using strings for referencing assets leads to broken code the moment you rename something