Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

Would be something like decals. And for such specific usage I believe deferred projected decals (there's one solution on assetstore) would work the best.

Tom

2. Ozzy89CZ

Ozzy89CZ

Q1: Its in plan some discount? :) Last was been about almost 3 years ago.

Q2: Do i need unconditionally Unity Plus/Pro to working with UBER Standard Shader and Relief Terrain Pack ? (RTP desc: This extension requires one license per seat)

Q3: If i purchase Unity Plus and get UBER SS free, do i have it forever or until end of licence Plus?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  3. Saevax

Saevax

Hey Tom,

I create and load my terrains from a script and my texture normal and heightmaps aren't being loaded properly.

I load a preset and every other aspect of RTP seems to work but my textures won't look correct until I manually click the refresh button under both the normal and the height map texture properties in the layers tab for every chunk in my terrain:

upload_2017-10-31_12-35-16.png upload_2017-10-31_12-35-50.png

I've tried calling RefreshAll() on the global settings holder, RefreshTextures() on all the chunks, saving the preset after refreshing all the textures individually but those didn't work. So I tried saving the combined heightmap and normalmaps but this changed the normals and heights from both results drastically. Also it changed the light of near distance values which you can see as a darker circle when I lower the fade length of near distance values to 0:

upload_2017-10-31_12-48-27.png upload_2017-10-31_12-49-30.png

4. tomaszek

tomaszek

Sorry as I can give you only brief hint here. If the issue you can't solve till Thursday I will take a closer look into it. I can't remember out of my head if combined heithmaps and normalmaps are stored in preset or not. From what you write - only source textures are stored (i.e. references to these textures). After restoring preset it might be necessary to rebuild combined textures (you clicked "refresh"). Your attempt to save combined normalmaps and heightmaps is pretty fine. It should work - you can set references in script to these textures and call RefreshAll() to move this parameters from script to rendering material. The problem of values that are "off - drastically" is probably caused by texture import settings. After you save them (combi9ned textures) - make sure they are sampled linear - sRGB should be off in texture import settings.

Tom

5. Thallium33

Thallium33

Fantastic tool! Does this support Xbone, PS4 and Switch? Can anyone confirm? I wish the asset store had tick boxes for things.

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

As far as I know XB1 and PS4 should go fine. For Switch - not completely sure, but I guess so.

Tom

7. nbac

nbac

feature request

ftejada and akareactor like this.
  8. Ozzy89CZ

Ozzy89CZ

This extension requires one license per seat

So i need UnityPro/Plus to full function this tool?

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

Unity license type has nothing to do with RTP per seat license. It only means that if you've got 10 evironmental artists working on terrain using RTP for your game you need 10 licenses bought. I know it's often hard to determine how many people actually uses RTP. With 50 game team members it does probably not make sense to bought 50 RTP copies, but if your project is bigger and you think the way - "OK - I'll buy 1 copy and 10 people will work on RTP" - this won't be fair neither.

Tom

10. topofsteel

topofsteel

I'm getting an error message about the WebPlayer. Which is odd because I haven't gotten this error the last few times I've imported RTP. Easy fix, but I just thought I'd mention it. Thanks.

Assets/ReliefPack/ExampleScenes/ReliefTerrain/_appControlerTerrain.cs(169,21): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.Application.isWebPlayer' is obsolete: `This property is deprecated and will be removed in a future version of Unity, Webplayer support has been removed since Unity 5.4'

11. Higashibashi

Higashibashi

Hello, I was about to ask the same question about the WebPlayer obsolete thing. I just bought RTP3 and new to it. How did you fix it if I may ask?

12. topofsteel

topofsteel

I've been using RTP for a while, so in my case I just deleted the demo folder. You'll probably want to open the code and comment out the offending line. It's got to be in an If statement, and it will never be true because it doesn't exist anymore. Tom provides great support, probably just an oversite.

13. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, I haven't removed these lines of code from newest releases while Unity doesn't support webPlayer anymore. As these warnings/errors are only related to example scene script controller it's rather harmsless. You can simply replace all isWebPlayer occurences with "false".

Tom

14. Saevax

Saevax

Ensuring all saved combined textures had sRGB disabled did the trick.

I have one final problem that I can see. My terrains are chunked and the seams are noticeable even after setting neighbors. The vertices seem to line up but the splats and maybe the lightning seem to be off

Here is the same spot on the same terrain, on the left it is divided into two chunks:

upload_2017-11-9_13-12-54.png

I'll keep trying different things to figure out how this is happening but do you have any ideas?

15. tomaszek

tomaszek

Are you sure adjanced terains have matching splat textures? If you use any other (like Unity's) terrain shader would show it. Also you can compare adjanced pixel rows of splat textures (in any image software).

Tom

16. Saevax

Saevax

I've compared the whole splatmap to the individual chunk splatmaps inside my own system and they all match absolutely perfectly.

This led me to believe there was something wrong with how I assigned neighbors so I double checked that by playing with the terrain settings while they were assigned and not assigned as neighbors and I am sure they are correctly assigned as neighbors.

So I removed the blending on the color map and that fixed the slight differences in color that might have appeared like shadows but the seams are still visible in the differences in textures.

That would mean the problem is related to the assigned splat maps, as the color maps are constructed from it. I'll try saving the Relief Splatmaps for each chunk individually and then export the Relief Splatmap for the whole terrain and compare those instead of my internal splatmaps on Tuseday.

17. LFDaMoWang

LFDaMoWang

Hi Tom,
    I like RTP shader very much.it provides more realistic environmental effects is what we need.but i have a problem led me to not be able to continue.I cant use brush on terrain,and i dont know the alpha channel is not necessary inside the height map ?
    I follow the video make my terrain:

when i "Refresh all" on the ReliefTerrain i got the error:
    Can't access alphamapTexture directly...
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    ReliefTerrain:GetControlMaps() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrain.cs:371)
    ReliefTerrain:RefreshTextures(Material, Boolean) (at Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrain.cs:273)
    GeometryVsTerrainBlend:SetupValues() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/GeometryVsTerrainBlend.cs:125)
    ReliefTerrainGlobalSettingsHolder:RefreshAll() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/_Internal/ReliefTerrainGlobalSettingsHolder.cs:636)
    ReliefTerrainEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:2978)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Im sorry for i dont know where am i wrong,my unity version is 2017.2.0f3.
    Thank you very much!

Liu

18. Saevax

Saevax

As mentioned in my last post I took the relief splatmaps and directly compared them and they seem identical.

I made the all chunk splatmaps one texture and drew on some rock and the seam is still visible:
    upload_2017-11-14_16-12-21.png

19. tomaszek

tomaszek

Check RTP version used (verinfo.txt). This problem should not be present in newest version.

The only reason I can imagine could be wrong splatmap fetch shift caused by noise influence parameter. Look at global textures/globnal colormap section and play with noise slider. Do you use tessellation?

Tom

20. Saevax

Saevax

No tessellation and the noise sliders don't seem to affect it.

In this image I've removed the global colormap and disabled the global normalmap, vertical texture, superdetail, UV blend, hole cutting, and switched to simple LOD.

On the left is a chunk with a single splatmap pixel of 100% Rock. On the right is the same but with only 75% Rock.

upload_2017-11-15_9-38-25.png

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  21. tomaszek

tomaszek

So what I can see on the above screenshot seems valid. Both left and right terrain chunk with the same pixel should present matching coverage then.

Tom

22. Saevax

Saevax

Is there a way to ease the visible seam though?

For example this is the same spot but not on a chunked terrain and has no visible seam:

upload_2017-11-15_13-5-14.png

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

Show me how does it look like in your setup when it's chunked and left/right splat pixels match (left=100% rock and the same the right one)? Are chunks placed in the same level in the hierarchy (otherwise they are independent groups)?

24. Saevax

Saevax

It looks fine when the neighboring chunks have matching splat values along the seams:

upload_2017-11-15_15-22-30.png

All chunks are placed under the same empty game object at the same level in the hierarchy.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  25. tomaszek

tomaszek

So I'm wondering what's the problem then. To remove seams you can just match chunk splat values at the edge. Can't you?

Tom

26. sstrong

sstrong

Hey Tom, with your next build you could add a conditional include (e.g. #if UNITY_xyz_or newer) so people don't have to modify the code each time they import RTP into a project.

27. Kusras

Kusras

Hi Tom,

Our customer of our game with Mac reported this bug:
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....457/169C18B1C582D7BB19BE45C99EE18BF683AA62EC/

On pc it works great, and he says he has amd 560 4gb GPU which is new enough and powerfull enough to not cause this issue. Unfortunately I could not find, if Mac even saves somewhere output_log in unity... Anyway it seems like an issue with tessalation, or something which cause close up problems. Do you have any idea how to investigate what is going on here? I just modified algorithms inside two function (to draw sharper edges) so did not added complexity or used newer stuff than you use... So it should not cause that issue...

Thanks.

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

It's not related to tessellation as I use it everywhere. Ony closeup shader variant has compilation issue so that terrain it turns pink. It has nothing to do with GPU being powerful or not. OpenGL (used on Mac) has an issue here. Can you check with regular RTP shader. Can't say if the error is related to your tweaks in shader or not.

Tom

Hint: select ReliefTerrain-FirstPass.shader - select OpenGL platform from drop down and use compile and show code - it should reveal errors that can be an inssue on Mac (while you should be able to see the in editor).

Kusras likes this.
  29. fisherman_b

fisherman_b

Hello,

I wanted to purchase RTP and Uber. How do I benefit from the upgrade price? When I add both assets to my shopping cart, the full prices are added.

Cheers

30. tomaszek

tomaszek

Buy one after each other. Having license for RTP will give you distount for UBER. You can buy it in the other order as well - total price is the same.

Tom

31. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Please fix the webPlayer issue!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  32. AlexanderElert

AlexanderElert

Hi @tomaszek, How can we use Wetness feature of UBER Metallic (RTP's Geom Blend) Shader? I was can place my mesh and blend it with the Geometry vs Terrain Script but isn't getting wet.. (Parallax feature does not work too).

I'm using Unity 2017.1.0f3
    RTP's & UBER's lastest version

Thanks, Alex.

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

Fixing the issue is as easy as just removing/commenting out code section where I check if the player is webPlayer (which is obsolete in newest Unity). I'm resubmitting the package now with this small tweak done.

Please, check the shader on raw Unity plane (w/o any blending) where all vertex colors are set to 1. Shaders often use vertex colors to control wet/snow coverage (in case you'd like to mask weather effects somewhere under shelters). You shader code you can find at the beginning defines section (right below properties) - there's where you can configure which vertex color channel is responsible (if it should be - you can comment the specific #define out as well) for coverage. Rembmer that controlling weather effects with UBER can be per material or globally (parameters taken from UBER_GlobalParams.cs which set shader global variables) - it's to be set in material wet/snow section.

I hope this is the issue you're facing.

Tom

34. crazymahone

crazymahone

Can RTP do cliffs and overhangs? I know you can do tunnels, but what I want to build is a climbing game, where the terrains are converted to mesh and rotated 90-degrees. There are tools for terrain to mesh, but is that built into RTP?

35. AlexanderElert

AlexanderElert

I fix the Wetness issue adding comment to the line on the Uber shader:
    #define VERTEX_COLOR_CHANNEL_WETNESS b
    and rain dropplets at:
    #define VERTEX_COLOR_CHANNEL_WETNESS_DROPLETS b

Then I fix the parallax occlusion mapping issue with change the heightmap texture configuration "texture type" to "normal map"

Thank you so much Tom!

fix.png

36. tomaszek

tomaszek

You can use any with RTP. If you make your cliff and put it vertical - no problem ;). You can also take advantage of triplanar standalone variant included in my package - put it on any mesh that has normals and voila - cliffs will be covered by rock, tops by grass, etc. Apart from auto coverage (based on normals) yo ucan decide about texturing with vertex colors (painting them to get different types of material where you need it).

Tom

37. awesomedata

awesomedata

@tomaszek

I've been looking into this for a while but haven't figured something out yet -- does this either do or work with splatmaps -- such as something like MegaSplat or Microsplat -- or is that beyond the scope of this asset?

How about when trying to blend terrain with rocks or rocks with other rocks?

And, if I'm following correctly, terrains can also be blended with other terrains as well as meshes too?

How badly does any of the above affect performance?

Also -- if I wanted to use another shader do do something fancy with cartoon shader stuff, would I still be able to use RTP in some way, or would it become somewhat useless or redundant?

38. tomaszek

tomaszek

It basically deals with terrains (and meshes if you'd like). Coverage is taken from regular Unity splatmaps (RGBA defining coverage of subsequent layers). We can use 4 or 8 layers per terain which is sufficient in most cases. 8 layers terrain can be rendered in single pass. Terrain vs. mesh blend - OK. Mesh with "RTP terrain like shader" (included) - OK. Terrain vs. terrain - hmmm - I'm not sure what do you mean and how would you like to blend it together. RTP is fair optimized so you could expect OK performance for not overfancy setup (like POM with self shadowing, dynamic snow and very highly tessellated terrain).

If you'd like to modify RTP shaders and tailor it to your needs - feel free. Shader source code included. RTP shaders are mostly surface shaders which helps with management. Of course you need to get familiar basically how my shaders are constructed before you tweak it. For moderately experienced shader coder - it's doable.

Tom

39. awesomedata

awesomedata

Thanks @tomaszek -- that 4-8 textures per terrain sounds sufficient.

With the "rocks with rocks with rocks" question I asked, to clarify -- what I was asking was, if I had a giant pile of rocks (that were separate meshes) would this terrain shader blend them all together into a nice, seamless, pile? -- If so, what would be the workflow for this?

Another question: does it also do something like Distingo where it can make distant terrains not look like crap in Unity -- or do I need a separate plugin for that?

Basically, the way I was looking at it, I would want to blend terrain right at the edges -- i.e. say I have a terrain that might not exactly match up along the 8 peripheral edges of a terrain, and not all of these match up precisely. Perhaps 1 out of the 8 is actually a mesh terrain too (i.e. I've sculpted it in a modeler or something for hills, caves, etc.) -- is that the type of thing your system can handle, or would another asset do better for this sort of issue?

I would really prefer to work in this manner artistically, if at all possible.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  40. tomaszek

tomaszek

Pile of rock meshes that blend automagically at intersections - I'm not aware about such solution available. Blend neighbor terrains - you need to match coverage data at seams. Look at this disctussion related:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-126#post-3282180

To blend mesh with terrain at some distance I guess Horizon[ON] might be interesting for you (and it's also on mega sale now):

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/horizon-on-31861

It uses transparent fade at terrain edges to blend seamlesly into distant horizon objects.

RTP has a lot of beautifying features :). (uv blend, perlin normals, global maps - all the make terrain look detailed and not patternized).

Tom

akareactor likes this.
  41. Crossway

Crossway

Hi, how can I set specular map to layers? there is only three slots (detail, noraml and height maps)

42. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP uses metalic workflow, but also - we've got no separate metallic map neither. So - currently we cant have both metallic and dielectric parts on a layer. You would need to mix them using separate layers (like metallic parts from layer A, dielectric from layer B and mix them using heightmap blending).

Tom

Crossway likes this.
  43. Crossway

Crossway

Thanks for reply.
    There is a compatibility issue with newer version of MapMagic and RTP. As I know for global maps we need RTP script on all terrain tiles! correct? But MapMagic only use one RTP script and because of that we can't use global maps. Did you test that?

I can't explain what is my mean to MapMagic developer because I can't speak English well. Can you please test and aware him there's a compatibility issue?

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

We need ReliefTerrain script added to _all_ tiles because all tiles need _separate_ material (for sake of global maps).

(you can cite me on MapMagic forum ;) ).

Tom

Crossway likes this.
  45. recon0303

recon0303

Check out Bart's asset Advanced Rocks. He is the same developer who made World Streamer, and a bunch of others.. If that is what you mean...

Far as Mega, Micro Splats, that is another terrain shader tool, like RTP, you are not going to want to use RTP and one of the those. You would want to use one terrain shader asset. not both together..

46. recon0303

recon0303

no. You would need to buy a tool that does it, or do it your self. Not sure if Terrain Composer 2 does or not, as I use Unity terrains mostly and use it a ton..

. But if it does, TC2 and RTP work well together...and both developers work closely together... So something to check out...

If it doesn't check out Terrain to Mesh...some terrain tools convert Unity terrain to mesh.. some don't..

47. fisherman_b

fisherman_b

Thanks for the information. Just grabbed RTP, will grab UBER next.

Cheers

48. tomaszek

tomaszek

You can assume RTP has terrain 2 mesh. I even included script (it's very simple) that saves .obj file from terrain. You can optimize it (or split) in 3rd party modeliing software like Blender and import back to Unity. RTP can shade mesehs. That's how I made one of my example scenes (used terrain scene as base, 2nd one is with RTP used on mesh generated from 1st one).

Tom

49. David-Kimball

David-Kimball

Hi All, sorry if this has been asked before I searched around but couldn't find much. I just purchased RTP and have been able to get things working for voxeland terrain, but I cannot figure out how to add more textures than the 4 color, 2 bump, and 1 height when I am drilled into the land material -> from voxeland's settings, ive gone through adding the ReliefTerrain component and adding all 8 textures, exporting the 4 bump and 2 height maps, I told the shader to enable the second pass and duplicated the features from the 1st pass, however when I click + block on voxeland the landblock shows up white and I cannot drag any more than the 4 color, 2 bump, and 1 height :( My second question is I have Enviro which should be able to tell the terrain that when its snowing to apply snow, rain -> wetness, maybe cold -> frost, etc but when I set the wetness enabled it appears to enable it all the time for all the textures, and for some reason even though I have sparkles turned off they continue to show up in the IDE scene window is my IDE view just bugged? Thanks in advance I love your shader!!

50. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP used as shading solution on voxeland (and other generic meshes) can use up to 4 layes. Steering snow is doable, not sure if enviro handles your scenario, but it wouldn't be hard to control snow coverage in material by some Enviro parameters.

Tom