Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. reuno

reuno

@ewanlee > This is usually due to some faulty input (either hardware or software). Could be a drifting stick, could be a virtual gamepad, these are the two most common offenders.
    You can verify that by unplugging/uninstalling devices, and you can verify what your system outputs to Unity easily with a simple input test script that outputs your raw axis values.

ewanlee likes this.
  2. aesthetiqore

aesthetiqore

upload_2024-3-19_12-52-39.png

Hello,
    I have 2022.3.15f1, and latest version of TopDown Engine. I now working with AI pathfinding and it works great. The issue is the NavMesh surface (light blue) is shown always on the scene, no matter what you select or chose in gizmos menu (common unity issue). Only disable all gizmos makes it hide, but it's not a solution. So I need an AI Navigation menu and for it I need to install AI Navigation package by unity.
    If I go to Package manager and install it - there is a conflict with TopDown NavMesh components.
    Can you tell me what can I do here please?

3. reuno

reuno

@aesthetiqore > Remove the ThirdParty/NavMeshComponents folder, import a new package.

aesthetiqore likes this.
  4. HuangSao

HuangSao

Hi, I encountered a very weird issue.
    In Minimal 2D Grid, when a character starts moving and accelerates, its velocity will abruptly turn 0 the moment it passes the first grid on its route. However, the character will move smoothly afterward as long as I continue to push the move button. The same behavior only occurs when I stop the character and make a move input again.
    Also, I found this issue only occurred when the FPS was over about 200. The lower the FPS, the less it occurs.

5. reuno

reuno

@HuangSao > You can tweak the IdleThreshold on your MinimalCharacter2DGrid prefab to adjust that. Try 0.01.

6. fatandrew

fatandrew

I've ended up having to use URP and because it uses a 'Volume' instead of a 'Post-Process Volume' all your luverly MM-scripts for autofocus shakers etc don't work is there a way to fix this simply?

7. reuno

reuno

8. YAO700051

YAO700051

Hello, sometimes I need to add some classes I created to the source code, and then I'm told I can't find the namespace. How do I solve this problem?

9. reuno

reuno

10. YAO700051

YAO700051

reuno likes this.
  11. ninjafingersgames

ninjafingersgames

Bought all your engines + feel.

Talented mofo! :D

reuno likes this.
  12. reuno

reuno

13. Riven_Best

Riven_Best

Move facing the wall and jump multiple times and the character will move instantly.
    unity——2022.3.2
    top down——3.6

blue box
    position——x,y,z(8.51,1.09,-3.769998)
    scale——x,y,z(4, 2.09, 8.52)

LoftTieCharacter
    ——gravity 30
    ——walkSpeed 4
    ——jump force 300
    ——Jump height 1.5

Last edited: May 13, 2024
  14. reuno

reuno

@Riven_Best > I haven't been able to reproduce the problem, that said maybe some of the info above is incorrect (the position coordinates for example wouldn't put a block where you have it in your video). If the issue persists, please reach out using the support form and I'll be happy to investigate this further!

15. Riven_Best

Riven_Best

Hopefully this zip file and video will help find the problem.
    Repeated attempts can usually occur within 3 minutes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2024
  16. Riven_Best

Riven_Best

upload_2024-5-13_23-22-59.png
    The characters sometimes dangle over the edge of the box.

17. reuno

reuno

@Riven_Best > I do reproduce this in your scene (on a side note you'll want to avoid binding it like you did to your level manager - you bound it player prefabs while it's actually an instance in the scene you're using. That'd be a binding to SceneCharacters instead).

I would recommend using the stock character, ideally LoftSuit, that particular one doesn't have the issue. I have to admit I didn't pinpoint which exact change caused this, but hopefully you won't have the issue with LoftSuit. If you do, please let me know, and again please use the support form for requests like this, it'll be easier to keep track of your problem and solve it.

I'll investigate to see what exactly is causing this, and will fix it.

Last edited: May 14, 2024
  18. BenevolenceGames

BenevolenceGames

I LOVE this asset. Was wondering though if there's any way we can get OnFootstep feedback right there in the Movement Components. That way we don't have to rely on a looping sound for that or jump through a bunch of hoops to get those going. Also, I have been searching to find any documentation on your site specifically on Particle Feedbacks, and so far haven't managed to find much. If you have some, please provide the links, if not can we cover this topic please?

19. reuno

reuno

@BenevolenceGames > There's already a dedicated ability to handle footstep sounds (CharacterSurfaceSounds, see list at https://topdown-engine-docs.moremountains.com/character-abilities.html#standard-abilities).
    You could also use the Start/Stop feedbacks for that if you prefer.

As for the Particles feedback, it's fully commented and all fields have tooltips, and you'll find steps to set it up at https://feel-docs.moremountains.com/recipes.html#how-to-use-mmf-player-to-trigger-a-particle-system
    That particular feedback is pretty straightforward so I'm not sure what exactly you'd like extra documentation on, but feel free to ask, I'll be happy to add more to it.

20. Yule_bif

Yule_bif

Hello! I'd like to know how to set up the RT (Shot) Button to control the direction of the weapon and attack when I was running it on my phone and using TopDown's joystick and button UI to operate the character, instead of Joystick controlling both movement and weapon direction.

21. reuno

reuno

22. orlando320

orlando320

this info box says if i set it to anything but 0 it will be based of the position of the mouse but that doesn't seem to be the case, no matter what number I set the distance the cursor seems to still follow the mouse

Attached Files:

23. reuno

reuno

@orlando320 > As mentioned on discord (assuming you're the same person who asked there), please use the support form on the asset's website if you need the fix for that before the next update, no need to post everywhere :)

24. Yule_bif

Yule_bif

Can I use the art resources of the game to business game?

25. reuno

reuno

@Yule_bif > Yes, you can, although you may want to think about that choice, these are simple placeholder assets, nowhere near production quality.

26. CosmyChan

CosmyChan

Hi, I have been working with your asset on a project and stumbled with a problem. I am making a single-player game for the Nintendo Switch platform. The issue is related to input. Does the asset somehow detect how many controllers are connected?
    The thing is - I play the game on switch with JoyCons either attached or disattached - everything works okay. I connect the Pro Controller while the JoyCons are connected to the console - the inputs stop working. I disconnect the JoyCons from Switch and leave them, while connecting the Pro Controller - everything works perfectly.
    So far this is the first time I had such a problem with Switch, so it's coming from the asset somehow remembering that the JoyCons are in place, so no other input is allowed.
    Is there a way to override this behavior? Like make it possible use the Pro Controller while the JoyCons are attached?

27. reuno

reuno

@CosmyChan > No, TDE doesn't do such detection, or handle input in any way, Unity does.
    TDE just polls input from there, using the input API. There's nothing in the codebase that would be specific to controllers, or them attaching or detaching.