Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. alexgemini002

alexgemini002

I upgrade from preview unity 2020 lts version because I also change other script and import many art models. It didn't have issue after following install steps in the docs, thanks for helping.

2. reuno

reuno

@alexgemini002 > I'm glad you got it working, thanks for letting me know.

3. alexgemini002

alexgemini002

dear developer,there some urp issue. I have a urp project based on unity 2022.3.8 lts version,it didn't have post process package.
    1. there is a PostProcessing gameobject contain postProcess setting and some MM**Shaker component under UICamera gameobject, like some prefab in "Minimal3DCameras" , could you add a urp volumn gameObject and MM**Shaker_URP in all those prefab so people don't need create those when start urp project. this gameobject can be disable in default, and also document it in installation guide.
    2. MMAutoFocus_URP component seems not working in urp volumn, it produces following error logs in console:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    MoreMountains.FeedbacksForThirdParty.MMAutoFocus_URP.Update () (at Assets/TopDownEngine/ThirdParty/MoreMountains/MMFeedbacks/MMFeedbacksForThirdParty/URP/Shakers/MMAutoFocus_URP.cs:58)
    I set the Camera Transform to MainCamera in MMAutoFocus_URP just like example MMAutoFocus. could developer verify that? or Maybe this is a feel plugins problem.
    3. is MMColorAdjustmentsShaker_URP is the urp equivalent of MMColorGradingShaker for PostProcessing, since the name change a little bit. I am not familiar those name change from postprocess to urp.
    4. I think maybe those MM***Shaker_URP component should put in category MoreMountains->Feedbacks->Shaker->URPVolumn , instead of PostProcessing. and also those MM**Shader_HDRP should category in MoreMountains->Feedbacks->Shaker->HDRPVolumn.so If the user didn't use those renderer pipeline can choose component more easily.
    5. in all the script like MMF_Bloom it had a Scripting Define Symbols "MM_POSTPROCESSING" , but in Project Settings for Scripting Define Symbols it types "UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2" , is this a typo or intended?
    6. for a urp project, should I replace Scripting Define Symbols "UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2" to "MM_URP" ? I found MM_URP in many urp related scripts, maybe it also need to document it in installation guide doc.
    7. for a new user start using topdown engine,the camera is shake a little bit all the time,it make new comer very confused, all the demo using cinemachine have a noise setting set to "Basic Multi channel perlin" . I think maybe it should set to "None" so camera didn't shake all the time. only Tanks demo should add a little bit shaking camera by default would make sense. and maybe it also need to document in faq section.

4. reuno

reuno

1. No, that's not technically possible, Unity has built RPs and asset store rules in a way that prevents that. Thankfully it's documented already.
    2. I just gave it a try, it works fine in a fresh install in the Feel URP demo scene. If your issue persists, please use the support form and provide actual repro steps of what you're doing.
    3. It's close I suppose, but it is a different post process. You can learn more about the differences in Unity's URP documentation.
    4. They are very much post processing effects, that's why they under this path. A Volume is a component that defines a post processing volume.
    5. No, these are two different sds.
    6. No, there's no need to replace anything.
    7. You're the first person to report being confused by that, but for sure if more people were to report something similar I'd adjust it. It is also of course already documented in the documentation, not in the FAQ (because it's not a frequent question), but in the cameras section : https://topdown-engine-docs.moremountains.com/cameras.html#cinemachine

5. alexgemini002

alexgemini002

thanks for reply, for the first quesiton, maybe it should be three different prefab like in "Minimal3DCameras" prefab. the default build-in, a new urp ,hdrp , call it "Minimal3DCamerasURP" prefab and "Minimal3DCamerasHDRP" prefab. the Minimal3DCamerasURP prefab have a urp volumn and corresponding MM**Shaker component gameObject but not contain PostProcessing componenet on it. if a new user import it to a urp project and didn't have a postProcess package installed, there will be some missing script warning on those prefab like "Minimal3DCameras".topdown engine should just tell new user replace those prefab with "Minimal3DCamerasURP" .

6. alexgemini002

alexgemini002

for the second question, could you verify this on topdown engine demo , not Feel URP demo.

7. reuno

reuno

@alexgemini002 > Thanks for the suggestion, but again, that'd be against the store guidelines. Thankfully, anyone going for URP is usually aware that the post processing package is BiRP specific, and won't have an issue setting up a Volume, as that's well documented on Unity's end.
    As for the 2nd question, there's no TDE demo that features MMAutoFocus_URP. Once again, please use the support form if you think you've found a bug, and provide repro steps.

8. mengqiwei

mengqiwei

When I am in the editor, how do I switch the motion mode of the ray when I push the joystick forward?

9. reuno

reuno

@mengqiwei > "switch the motion mode of the ray"? What do you mean by that? What ray are you referring to?

10. maviyy

maviyy

Hi! TopDown Engine has helped me a lot to learn how to develop in Unity, but reading the documentation I found references to KillsManager and I thought it would be useful for my purposes, but I can't find it inside the engine, has it been removed with an update?

11. reuno

reuno

@maviyy > No, it hasn't been removed, it was added in the last update.
    I'd recommend checking the first item of the FAQ, hopefully it'll solve your issue :
    upload_2023-10-17_19-10-39.png

12. mengqiwei

mengqiwei

In the project Demo you provided, when you press the joystick key with the left handle, the movement mode will be changed. At first, the joystick will move freely when you push the joystick key with the left handle, and then it will change into a ray transfer movement when you press the joystick key. I'm just going to default to the initial movement mode as beam transport movement, so you know what I mean? Looking forward to your reply. Thank you

13. reuno

reuno

@mengqiwei > I'm sorry but I didn't understand any of that. What demo are you referring to? What's a "joystick key"? What's a left handle in this context? What "movement mode" are you talking about? What's a "ray transfer movement"? What's a "beam transport movement"? Maybe you're using a translator? If you are, I'm afraid to say it's losing a lot of your meaning.

14. mengqiwei

mengqiwei

upload_2023-10-19_10-24-48.png
    I'm sorry, I don't know what it's officially called, but it's this thing blue ray, I call it beam transport, and I think the initial movement is this beam transport, not free movement

15. mengqiwei

mengqiwei

Looking forward to your reply

16. reuno

reuno

@mengqiwei > I don't know what that screenshot is from, but it's not the TopDown Engine. Maybe you've got the wrong asset/thread?

17. Fopix

Fopix

Hi @reuno, i noticed that some layers have collisions, such as obstacles, enemies, and some do not collide with the collider turned on. I wanted to find out what the scripts that control this are called, and whether it is possible to make it so that the player and the NPCs cannot pass through walls but can pass through each other.

18. reuno

reuno

19. Tretiak

Tretiak

I returned after year to my project where Im using TDE version 3.0 and unity version 2020.1.17. I see on your page that I can upgrade only up to 3.2 for my unity version. Can I somehow get that particular version ? Or im stuck with 3.0 ? (I cant upgrade unity version)

20. reuno

reuno

@Tretiak > Yes, if you're on 2020.1.1.17 and update from 3.0, 3.2 is what you'll get.

21. Tretiak

Tretiak

If I update via assetstore it will get me 3.2 ? I never done such upgrade

22. reuno

reuno

Yes, it will. You can simply try that in an empty project if you're not sure.

Tretiak likes this.
  23. andrewSen

andrewSen

amazing asset, by the way, can I use the characters, models, weapons, etc. from the project to create my business games?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  24. reuno

reuno

@andrewSen > Yes, you can. It would be a strange decision as these are not production level assets, just quickly put together placeholders to power the demos. And you don't have the source files for them so maintenance and improvements will get complex quickly.

25. alexgemini002

alexgemini002

dear developer, In 3d version of TDE , in character weapon handle component the weapon attachment need assign a transform usually a empty object beneath of the current model, if this weapon is a ranged weapon,this weapon attachment transform is at same level as character model, but if this weapon is a melee weapon, the weapon attachment transform should be a child of character hand,otherwise the weapon will look strange and animated strange, also the Colonel demo or loft3d demo avoid add a melee weapon pickup so I don't know how to properly change from a ranged weapon to a melee weapon.
    2. in 3.5 version, you add a AutoEquipOnlyIfEquipmentInventoryIsEmpty option to CharacterInventory, can you add a replaceMode option to CharacterInventory? it means if current player is empty hand it will equip this pickup,if player already have a weapon in WeaponInventory, it will drop current equiped weapon on ground and replace this pickup. this is a default behavior in hotline miami since this game didn't have a MainInventory it only have WeaponInventory and can only equip one weapon.
    I also submit this feature to support form since last time you suggest.thanks for you time.

26. reuno

reuno

@alexgemini002 > 1. No, you wouldn't attach the Weapon to a different attachment, you would like attach the visuals there, not the logic, make sure you separate both. And yes, you'll find an example of a sword on the Loft character in the MinimalSword3D demo scene. I'd also recommend learning more about the various ways to setup weapons, especially via weapon models, it's all explained in the docs at https://topdown-engine-docs.moremountains.com/weapons.html#weapon-models

2. What you describe is already an option if you don't use an inventory. I don't know of any game with an inventory that does that, so it seems too niche to add to the core lib, but of course you can implement such a rule if you want to, that's what the Inventory API is here for.

27. wechat_os_Qy0_uUdNLW4kLwdPxiZpyREhM

wechat_os_Qy0_uUdNLW4kLwdPxiZpyREhM

why these in MMGameEvent made static, when exec the below two line code,may have CAS problems?

upload_2023-11-25_22-22-9.png

28. reuno

reuno

29. wechat_os_Qy0_uUdNLW4kLwdPxiZpyREhM

wechat_os_Qy0_uUdNLW4kLwdPxiZpyREhM

reuno likes this.
  30. alexgemini002

alexgemini002

dear developer, I can setup melee weapon and ranged weapon easily by duplicated existed prefab. and I have already ready document and look at all exist demo , my question here is I can't find a proper way to setup a scene with both melee pickup and ranged pickup using one character with empty hand. in loft3d demo,If I use LoftTie prefab started with a sword at it's hand , the melee weapon is animated properly ,but when I pick a ranged weapon , the ranged weapon is under weaponAttachment empty gameObject, and the animation is strange, if I use LoftSuit prefab as started character and add a sword melee pickup, the sword is not at a proper hierarchy, maybe because LoftSuit is not using a WeaponModelEnabler component? so my question here is the melee weapon and range weapon using two different demo scene , two different character prefab one with WeaponModelEnabler and other didn't, then I dont know how to setup a scene with one characeter prefab with both melee pickup and ranged pickup exist in one scene , when one characeter using melee weapon it can animated properly and when this same character pickup a range pickup it can using ranged weapon properly.

31. reuno

reuno

@alexgemini002 > I'd recommend reading the documentation once again, it explains in details how to setup model enablers, it'd be the exact same for melee or projectile weapons. If you have more questions please use the support form, thanks.

32. hamuralensis

hamuralensis

Hello!
    I am having trouble with Inventory save/load errors.

If I enable "Persistent" in the Inventory script,
    "InventoryEngine : Couldn't find any inventory item to load at Items/ named 003_Knife. Make sure all your items definitions names (the name of the InventoryItem scriptable objects) are exactly the same as their ItemID string in their inspector. Once that's done, also make sure you reset all saved inventories as the mismatched names and IDs may have corrupted them."
    ("003_Knife" is the name I gave to the item)

Error when starting or saving the game.
    In addition, all items in the "Auto Pick Items" section of the player character's script "CharacterInventory" are also coming up with the same error.

The object name in the Project window under Assets>Game>Resources is the same as the "Item ID" in Inspector.
    Please let me know if there is another solution!
    -----------------------------------------
    TopDown Engine : v2.4
    Inventory Engine : v3.0

33. reuno

reuno

34. hamuralensis

hamuralensis

@reuno

I can now save and load! thanks so much! !

reuno likes this.
  35. hamuralensis

hamuralensis

When saving a built games Inventory, can the InventoryEngine data save location (folder hierarchy) be set to the same folder hierarchy as the built game file?
    I want to save the save data in a location that is not "PersistentDataPath"(C drive).

Riven_Best likes this.
  36. reuno

reuno

37. hamuralensis

hamuralensis

reuno likes this.
  38. roi666

roi666

Hey guys!

Has anyone tried it with Wwise? Is it possible to use it with it?

Thanxs in advance!

39. reuno

reuno

@roi666 > Hello, answered you via email already, there's no such thing built-in, but yes it's possible to use Wwise or any other 3rd party audio framework if you implement it.

40. WryMim

WryMim

Hi. Thanks for the best asset!
    I want to start a new project. Does your asset support 2022.3.16 ?
    Or maybe you can recommend a version of Unity, verified, stable.

41. reuno

reuno

@WryMim > The engine will run on all versions of Unity. What version you use is entirely up to you. It's usually best to stick to more stable versions of Unity. 2020.3.48f1 is quite stable, so is 2021.3.33f1.

42. hamuralensis

hamuralensis

Can I handle more than one saved data in my InventoryEngine v3.0?
    I would like to increase the number of slots that TopDownEngine can save to three.

In the "InventoryEngine Documentation_Save and load"
    "Handling multiple save files"
    Inventory._saveFolderName = "InventoryEngine/SaveA/";

The _saveFolderName is at an inaccessible protection level. and I get a script error.

--- My environment ---
    TopDownEngine v2.4
    InventoryEngine v3.0

43. reuno

reuno

@hamuralensis > You're using very outdated versions of both TDE and IE, more than 2 years old. The feature you mention is one of the many additions that were made since.

44. hamuralensis

hamuralensis

Thanks for your reply.
    I was a Unity newbie, but thanks to TDE I have been making games for 2 years.
    I will update TDE in my new project!

reuno likes this.
  45. DavidRodMad

DavidRodMad

Hello! I'm starting to learn the tools provided in the asset but I noticed something that I'd like to figure out early if possible, when testing the 2D demo scenes in the game I'm noticing everything ends up looking a bit jittery and blurry during some camera movements. It felt most noticeable in the totally empty minimum 2D scene, because the lines on the ground are constantly flickering (I think between 2 different pixel widths?) and it's quite distracting.

I set the project following instructions on a new empty 3D (not-URP) project on unity 2022, did i miss something to get a proper pixel perfect look?

46. reuno

reuno

47. DavidRodMad

DavidRodMad

Oh, apologies, I thought I heard you mention pixel perfect being in use already on the scenes in one of the tutorials. Thank you!

reuno likes this.
  48. DavidRodMad

DavidRodMad

Hi again! This is more a bit of feedback than any question or anything, but I was testing to work on the asset using the new input system, and I can't help but feel like the new input system scene is a little rough. The walking sfx is a machinegun of thuds while slowly walking, the main camera's cage was misplaced, leaving it impossible to follow the character when walking down, and the sets of examples are more barebones (things to interact with with keys already there would be nice)

Nothing I couldn't handle, just thought I'd leave my experience, since the new input seems to be getting some traction (finally)

49. reuno

reuno

50. ewanlee

ewanlee

Hello,

Just purchased the asset and I'm having an issue with the controls: when I start the demos the player character moves UP/LEFT with no input (all demos except the in Min 2D: Grid movement, where it moves UP only).

• Unity 2022.3.20f1
    • New 2D core project
    • Downloaded top down
    • imported complete project
    • install/updated package manager dependencies
    • Updated all packages

thanks

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024