Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] TopDown Engine by More Mountains [new v3.0 : damage types, damage resistance, and more!]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Oct 9, 2018.

1. addz92

addz92

Hey @reuno quick question - Are there any plans of adding the level unlock system/progress manager from the corgi engine to topdown? (Complete level 1 to unlock level 2, retro adventure level selection screen with stars etc)

wagnerps likes this.
  2. reuno

reuno

@addz92 > If more people request it via the support form, then yes, it'll make it into a release. So far it hasn't be a very popular request on TDE (compared to other topics).

3. JauntyBearGames

JauntyBearGames

does the topdown engine support tap to move? i.e. tapping a spot and the character moves to this place.
    Just parsing the documentation and only find on-screen buttons examples.

4. reuno

reuno

5. JauntyBearGames

JauntyBearGames

reuno likes this.
  6. hnim

hnim

Hi @windslayer, may I ask which platform did you test? pc or mobile? Does your enemy use Nav mesh pathfinding?
    I am working on mobile game, and I want to add ~200 enemies as well, but default controller will drain fps alot. Thank you for your sharing

7. sourfish

sourfish

Hi, reuno, I just bought this asset and am currently learning. I notice that there is no knowledge about skills and equipment in the latest document. Will there be plans to add these modules in the future, or are these not considered by the engine?

8. reuno

reuno

@sourfish > What exactly do you mean by skills and equipment? There are no RPG features in the engine (aside from inventory), it's a top down action game framework, it focuses on that genre only. Let me know if it doesn't answer your question!

9. sourfish

sourfish

Hi @reuno , Thank you for your answer. I want to add some RPG elements to the top-down action game, so that I can learn different skills and acquire some armor. Just like some roguelike games I played on the steam platform, I think if only the weapon system is used, the gameplay will be more or less monotonous

10. reuno

reuno

@sourfish > You can absolutely add more features to your game, but the engine focuses on this genre's features for the moment. Feel free to add more though, the engine is designed to be extended.

11. sourfish

sourfish

Thank you. After learning your engine, I will think about how to expand my functional module.

reuno likes this.
  12. CrazyTed321

CrazyTed321

Hey @reuno, I really love TopDown Engine! Quick question for you, is 2d pathfinding supported in advanced AI right now? Or do you plan to add support in the future? Thanks!

13. reuno

reuno

14. kotor

kotor

Is it possible to create a 2.5D game using Topdown Engine ?

15. reuno

reuno

@kotor > That depends on your definition of 2.5D in a top down context. What exactly do you mean?
    But as a general rule, visuals are entirely up to you, so if you mean 2D gameplay, 3D assets, then yes, absolutely. You could also do 3D gameplay, 2D characters for example.

16. kotor

kotor

Yes, I mean 3D Asset 2D gameplay (Side Scroller like metroid dread). Do you have any suggestion how to setup camera or any demo scene I can use ?

17. reuno

reuno

@kotor > The top down engine isn't the right tool for a side scroller like metroid dread, as the name suggests, it focuses on top down action games, metroid dread isn't one. The Corgi Engine would be more suited.

18. kotor

kotor

OK. I see Corgi Engine is more suitable. It also supports 2.5D (3D Assets, 2d game play).

I was wondering if I can use 3d Models (Player, Enemies) and still can use all the abilities and features provided by Corgi Engine ?

19. reuno

reuno

@kotor > Yes, of course you can, visuals and logic are completely separate things.

20. Frankie3

Frankie3

Hello, I recently bought the asset and am excited to use it. I've been watching your YouTube playlist on it and I'm almost finished before I jump in and start using it. I'm planning to make a top down Legend of Zelda style game. Can you recommend what part of the demo levels I should check for this specifically or another resource about the engine to reference?

21. reuno

reuno

22. kotor

kotor

I bought Corgi Engine and installed it on the same project. So, I have both asset in the Corgi and Topdown engine in the same project. It looks I am having a namespace clash between the 2 engines. Is there any work around or I have to install it in 2 different projects ?

23. reuno

reuno

@kotor > They're foundation projects, not meant to be installed in the same project. Namespace won't be an issue, but layers and input, notably, will. You can check the FAQ of both assets for more details on this.

24. archisan

archisan

Hi reuno, is it in schedule a flying controller ability?
    if not what should be a proper path to extent the ability to achieve it?

regards

25. reuno

reuno

@archisan > No, that's not something that's ever been requested. The best way would be to create a new controller that extends TopDownController, like for any new controller (see examples in the extensions repo).

26. Geriko

Geriko

Hi reuno! I am using your CharacterGridMovement script based on your demo. It is working very great inside the editor, but on android build there is a weird flickering in the movement. It looks like the character jumping back to the tile after it passed the center, then continue the moving. It happens every time when the character pass the center of the tile. Have you ever heard about this issue, or I should dig deeper?

Thanks!

27. reuno

reuno

@Geriko > No, I'm not aware of such an issue. Does it happen if you create a new, empty project, import just TDE and build for Android? If yes, on what device(s) exactly are you testing? Does the issue happen on all of them? What version of TDE are you on?

28. Geriko

Geriko

I did. I used the MinimalGrid3D scene to test it out. The issue is BARELY visible in the editor too. The movement is just not smooth. It is shaking.On mobile its more visible.
    I reduced the target framerate to 30, and I changed the mobile input to Arrow, bcs the joystick just don't work well.
    The particles are smooth, the camera movement is smooth, everything runs well, but the movement is glitchy.

I have a Redmi K20 Pro. It runs every game smoothly.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_k20_pro-9708.php

What do you mean "all of them"?

I am using TDE 3.0

Edit: The issue is more visible if u increase the size of the grid. (For example to 2). I made a sort debug i update about the character position, and funfact: all the positions look correct. I don't like this type of bugs :)

Edit 2: I think I found the issue. And it is not in ur perfect code sorry ^^
    Whenever the player goes into cinemachines dead zone it makes a flickering correction to keep up with the character movement. I just have to adjust the settings of the cinenamchine camera.
    It hurted my eyes and I couldn't diagnostic the problem. So I thought maybe the movement does it. But not.
    Sorry for your time!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    reuno likes this.
  29. reuno

reuno

@Geriko > I'm glad you figured it out, thanks for letting me know!

30. Frankie3

Frankie3

I've been playing around with the 2D scenes like you mentioned. I want to make every weapon in the game use ammo, but not ammo in the traditional sense. I want to have an energy bar that slowly refills and the player can only attack when they have enough energy. Do you have a recommendation of where I can start to modify to achieve this? Should I just create a custom ammo and have every weapon in the game refer to it? Will that work for melee weapons too?

31. reuno

reuno

@Frankie3 > There is no such feature in the engine, but you can of course implement it if you'd like. It would be done like in any project, so any way you want would be good.

32. Tretiak

Tretiak

Hi, when Im using "resize collider on crouch" in 3D, when im crouching it looks like character is jittered a bit for one frame. Is there any solution to this ? its a bit visible

33. reuno

reuno

@Felinsky > How can your issue be reproduced? I have to admit I don't remember anyone reporting this, so I'd need a bit more info. Just tried in the Colonel demo, didn't notice any jitter.

34. Tretiak

Tretiak

@reuno i reproduced it on colonel scene TDE version 3.0:

1) Keep default character controller settings (center Y = 1)
    2) Resize collider when crouched = true
    3) Crouched collider height = less than 1 (Im using 0.5)
    4) Keep pressing crouch repeatedly

You should see it in game view, but its better viewed when you select character root object in scene view so you see all gizmos and colliders and keep pressing crouch input.
    I see this issue always when crouched collider height is set to less than value of non-modified collider height. (I think unity is recalculating position of controller after height was changed during that frame.)

35. reuno

reuno

@Felinsky > These are the steps I used earlier, I don't see any jitter. If your issue persists, and if you think it's a bug on the engine's side, don't hesitate to report this via the support form, I'll be happy to have another look.

36. o3428320d

o3428320d

Hi reuno,

I am using TDE 2.4
    And I can't really set up all the input right with the xbox gamepad.
    I see the tutorial told that the default setting is already set up with xbox controller.
    But I can't move the aim cursor with the 4/5 axis of controller after a gun is equipped.
    It has the same problem in the HTML 5 link provided on the web.
    How can I set it right?
    I follow the input to set up the secondary movement with 4/5 axis of joystick, but it has no effect.
    All other setting with joystick works fine except moving the aim cursor.
    And I am using the old input manager in unity.
    Can you help? Thanks.

37. reuno

reuno

38. Frankie3

Frankie3

Thanks, I'll look into making a stamina system myself then. I saw one in the extensions repository, but it is a little different from what I want. I also had a question about a type of weapon I am trying to implement. After the character swings their sword, if they still have the button held down, I want them to go into a state like Zelda where they hold the sword and after a period of time can do a spin attack.

I've been looking through your code and saw the combo weapon which might work okay for this, but I feel like I would have to add a new state to the Weapon class for something like Charging/Holding and I really don't want to modify your code like that in case of updates. I also did some logging and testing and it seems like the Weapon is only in the Use state for one frame and then goes to DelayAfterUse. I feel like even if I added this state, it would not really fit well with your weapon class.

I guess another option could be to make it a weapon like the MeleeWeapon but set it to auto so it keeps calling the attack every frame, but this seems like a really ugly way to do this.

Do you have any advice on how to approach this? I'd like to avoid creating a new Weapon class or heavily modifying yours.

39. reuno

reuno

@Frankie3 > There's nothing in the engine to handle something like what you describe, this would require its own dedicated class. I wouldn't recommend hacking MeleeWeapon for this, that's not what it's designed to do. It'd be easier to just create a new one.

40. o3428320d

o3428320d

Hi reuno,

I follow the weapon IK tutorial. But the hands of the avatar can't stick to the hands target assigned properly.
    So, do I miss anythings to lead this problem, thanks.

Attached Files:

41. reuno

reuno

@o3428320d > Unfortunately I can't guess what mistake you made just from that png. The IK recipe works, so I'm guessing you missed a step. Maybe try following them exactly, looks like you're not in the right scene, or using the right character, so it's anybody's guess what other steps you missed.

42. Lemexis

Lemexis

Hello,

I just got the engine and I had a few questions. Does the engine let you assign the AI to different teams ? For example, you can set half of the NPCs to one team, the other half to the other team, and then if they run into each other they start shooting each other ?

If it's not implemented, are there any plans to implement that?

Also, sorry for the noob question, but if there is no 2d pathfinding then how does the AI move around in a 2D space ? It runs straight toward the player and gets stuck on any wall or obstacle along the way?

43. reuno

reuno

@Lemexis > No, there's no concept of "teams" in the engine, that's typically something that belongs to your game's logic's side of things. And no, there's no native 2D pathfinding in Unity, most people use A* or other solutions. You'll find a few integrations of these in TDE's community repository. And yes, without pathfinding, and unless instructed otherwise, an AI will get stuck on obstacles.

Lemexis likes this.
  44. Lemexis

Lemexis

Ok, thanks for answering!

reuno likes this.
  45. nurid66

nurid66

I want to make a Supermarket tycoon managing game. I want to apply advertisement and In-app purchasing in the game. Is there a way to do tutorial about tycoon game ? I am using TDE 3.0 Do I need Any plug in ? Thank you

46. reuno

reuno

@nurid66 > No, there is no tutorial for that, tycoon games are a completely different genre. The top down engine focuses on top down action games. The two have nothing in common in terms of core mechanics, they're just two separate genres of games, it's not the right tool for the job.

nurid66 likes this.
  47. kristof2000

kristof2000

Hi we start in a gamejam and i am wondering can we fully add our own code to this? I mean use the camera and such but add our own ai's and gameplay elements? Is it hard to do if we use regular scripting? Is it compatible with other ai assets? Thanks

48. reuno

reuno

@kristof2000 > Yes, you can "add your own code to this". How hard it is depends on what exactly you want to achieve, and on your skills, it's hard to answer that question for you. I'd recommend looking at the documentation to get a better idea of what the engine is and how it works, hopefully it will answer your questions.

49. kristof2000

kristof2000

for example add different ai actions then documentation, have camera make rooms player is not in dark and add physics to the character

50. kristof2000

kristof2000

think of among us type of game, would this help us or make it more complex. ;) also we work in a group. Thanks for the super fast reply btw.