Search Unity

[RELEASED] Pixel Platformer Engine - Responsive 2d Platformer Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MooseStache, May 31, 2018.

1. MooseStache

MooseStache

We're glad to announce the release of :
    Pixel Platformer Engine - Responsive 2d Platformer Toolkit

The Pixel Platformer Engine is the best solution to help you create the next higly addictive platformer game where control's are just an extension of your mind.

With this asset we seek to help in the creation of any platformer game offering most of the common & advanced features you will need while also focusing on making your platformer game "Feel" Good using different advanced techniques learnt from other successful games such as Super Meat Boy, Celeste, TowerFall, etc.

List of Features for version 1.0:

It features a tight, responsive & easily customizable character controller for your game. Besides offering full tilemap support and a professional pixel-art tileset and character with animations allowing the game designer to create carefully hand-designed levels in a matter of minutes.
    • Pixel perfect collisions & Movement support.
    • Basic player movement (idle, run, jump, wall jump & slide).
    • Advanced player movement (variable jump, dash, fast-fall).
    • Responsive Controls (jump buffer, jump grace time, wall sticking, Squash & Stretch)
    • One-Way platforms.
    • Moving One-Way platforms & Blocks (horizontal & vertical).
    • Crush entities with moving blocks.
    • Springs & Spikes.
    • Falling platforms.
    • Level Entry & Spawn Point.
    • Pickups Example: Dash Refill/Refresh.
    • Screenshake.
    • Basic particle examples (dust effects).
    • Player death with room fade-in/out.
    • Fully working professional pixel art tileset & character with animations.
    • Example Scenes created with Unity's built in TileMap & 2D Extras.
    • Full Documentation in PDF explaining how everything works from the player controller to full level creation guide & 2000 + Lines of very clean and well commented code.

We are also taking request on new features to add.

The Current List of Features to be added on Version 1.1:
    • Melee Attacks (HitBoxes)
    • Bow Attack (Projectiles)
    • Health System
    • Slopes
    • Basic Enemy with AI
    • Falling Blocks
    • Your suggestion here
    Please comment in this thread if you have any questions or suggestions, we'll be happy to help!

Get it now one the Asset Store!

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  2. MooseStache

MooseStache

Version 1.1.0 has been submitted to assetstore and its pending review now:

Features v1.1.0:
    -Health System
    -Melee Attack (hitboxes)
    -Ranged Bow Attack (projectiles)
    -Basic Enemy with AI
    -Sprite Flashing
    -2 new Shaders (Sprite flashing & Sprite Outlines)
    -Traditional UI with Hearts/lives health bar
    -Falling Platforms
    -Slopes

We'll let you know when the asset has been reviewed and accepted :D

Also wanted to remind you that we are taking suggestions on new features to be added, the current list of pending features are:
    -Crouching
    -Wall Climbing (Like in Ori or Celeste)
    -Ladders
    -Ledge Grabbing
    -Objects Push and Pull
    -Zoner AI (craw up/down/left/right on walls)
    -Swimming

3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

837BF4E7-1061-418A-B35F-5199DD4E1C54.gif

I really like how this looks!
    will try it out!

Do you have plans for a minimap? and map naviagtion, save states? loading levels from a menu?

the way its done in metroid for example
    this will really help with longer levels and progression

Thanks

4. MooseStache

MooseStache

Version 1.1 for our pixel platformer engine is going live, heres a preview of the new features we've added. We will be constantly improving and adding features. V1.1.0Gif-Bigger.gif

5. MooseStache

MooseStache

First of all thanks :D

We definitelly have in mind doing minimaps and full menu including loading levels from it soon, there is a couple of features with a higher priority but I think that we could add it on a later version

6. MooseStache

MooseStache

Heres alittle sneak peek at some of the features coming in update 1.2
    update 1.2 preview.2 preview.gif

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

looks awesome!

8. MooseStache

MooseStache

Thanks lars glad you liked it, btw your minimap request migh be added on update 1.3 or 1.4. Actually we almost have 1.2 ready but it takes so much time to get every update reviewed!

9. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Sure thing, do you have a need for beta testing? let me know if I can be of any help there.

10. MooseStache

MooseStache

Just dropping by to let everyone know that the Version 1.1.0 was succesfully reviewed and is Live on the asset store now! and we'll be submitting version 1.2.0 to revision really soon with a demo scene for testing.

Also we got accepted on the Unity Subscriber Discount sale and if you'd like to give the asset a try and you're a plus/pro user go and get it now with a 20% discount.

Pixel Platformer Engine - Responsive 2D Platformer Toolkit

I'll send you pm, we migh need some help with testing for later versions.

11. Orientone

Orientone

Hi I have some suggestion (maybe it's already on your list):

- Parallax effect
    - 2-3 Sword combos
    - Boss with state machine code
    - Menu with level selection

If you need more help with the testing, I'm up to it :)

zero_equals_zero likes this.
  12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And always great to have some playmaker actions, for a later version

13. zero_equals_zero

zero_equals_zero

Awesome asset! I am so happy the developers took the time and effort to truly create a flexible and modern asset.
    As I've always used corgi engine, which is great for what it does, I had the feeling it truly lacks some features that I required or let us say hoped for.

Then Pixel platformer engine came along.
    What a gem.

Surely there are some bugs to be found but the developer is so hands on in directing me towards a working solution. Not just "try this or that". No a real solution.

By far this asset is already a no-brainer, but the upcoming features for v1.2 are awesome.

Not that I aim for bargains but I was so impressed by the developers work that I couldn't help myself in applying my job as a user-experience designer/ game designer to enlist them with some features that, as far as I know will help them rank and boost sales.

They even encouraged me to list my personal suggestions here on the forum so here goes:

Bumpers
    Instead of using bumpers wouldn't it be less work to use values and gizmos so that the user visually sees where the platforms / moving blocks are heading. This can easily be done with values and gizmos and will create an easier way of working

one way platforms / drop through platforms
    As right now you can perfectly jump onto a platform in one direction from the bottom to the top.
    But it would also be great to allow the player to drop down. Imagine a branch in a forest where the player can drop down. With a bool this type of platform could work either: only upwards, or in both directions.

Please make the abilities as obtainable elements.
    For example, at the beginning of the game, the player can't wall jump. This for all abilities such as shoot, attack, wall jump and the upcoming features. It's easy to create an ability manager

Fall damage:
    I guess it would be awesome to have a sort of terminal velocity setting so that when the player hits that value he dies.
    Obviously with a bool so users can choose to turn that feature off.

Dash downwards / directional:
    It would be great to have in the future to have directional dashes. I assume it would be great to have a dash for each direction. Down, up, as left and right is already covered

This way you could mimic the amazing stomp ability like in Ori and the blind forest:
    where you can jump up, then dash downwards to break a floor. or reveal hidden passages.

In the meantime, I'll try to add this myself.
    I'll also try to have a breakable object/wall/whatever to show hidden passages etc.

Checkpoints
    I think a checkpoint system would be awesome. So multiple spawn points can be placed in larger levels.

Lever pulling / chest / interactives
    Fairly easy to implement myself but I truly see this as a good selling point, as it kickstarts gameplay elements.

Roll
    When running and pressing down the character could roll. Possibly great for all types of games. such as dodging attacks etc. or when the player makes a hard landing.

Rope climbing/swinging
    Obviously this one is rather hard to do, but I am sure the developers can pull it off :)

Regardless. I am a happy camper in purchasing this asset and can't wait what the developers do next with this gem.
    All the best

14. ury2ok2000

ury2ok2000

Hello, is there a place to preview the documentation? Trying to figure out if it would work simply with Super Tile Map Editor as i use that for my tiles.

15. MooseStache

MooseStache

Hi there, I'm not familiar with super tile map editor but as long as it allows you to place tiles in different layers with colliders attached to them there should be no problem since the whole engine runs checking pixel perfect collisions on different layers (solid layer for walls and floor, one-way layer for fall/passthrough platforms) and unity's tile map editor is only used as a time saver tool to place tiles faster so I suposse any tile map editor tool should work the same. Also if after this you're still interested in previewing the documentation I could send you a copy of the pdf version, altho a newer version is being released on version 1.2.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    SugoiDev likes this.
  16. MooseStache

MooseStache

Heres a link showing a little dev video of the ledge grab in action which will be included in update 1.2

ewak, twomack37 and ratking like this.
  17. MooseStache

MooseStache

Heres a look at the improved tilemap coming in update 1.2 tilemap update for twitter.gif

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

love the little details!

Do you have plans on the roadmap for local multiplayer? two controllers two players on one screen.

MooseStache likes this.
  19. MooseStache

MooseStache

We definitelly have planned adding local multiplayer support, using unity's built in Input Manager if that's not a problem. Probably on v1.3, v1.2 is a pretty big update including a new tilemap, several new features, bug fixes and it's almost finished so if you don't mind waiting till v1.3 we'd love to add it on that version.

20. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Sure no rush, glad to know it is a planned feature :)

MooseStache likes this.
  21. TechSins

TechSins

Hey @MooseStache your pixel art looks amazing and so does your project so i will definitely be buying when i get home so looking forward to future updates!

MooseStache and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  22. MooseStache

MooseStache

Thanks @TechSins, Update 1.2 is almost ready to submit it we are just doing the final touches and finishing up the new documentation! Hopefully we'll be sumbiting it later today. :D

23. Xain

Xain

Looks really good and solid platformer. I'll purchase it in a couple days. It would be really cool if local multiplayer coming in 1.3 :D

Edit: I just bought it but couldn't see the support mail adress on the docs o_O

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  24. ratking

ratking

Suggestion: Don't hardwire the input into the Player component. I'd like to use a different input manager asset for better gamepad support. My idea would be to split the Player functionality from the user's input, by adding some interface methods.

Lars-Steenhoff and Xain like this.
  25. MooseStache

MooseStache

Cheers Xian for the purchase, our support email is Moose_Stache@hotmail.com we apologise for not including in the doc we will correct this in update 1.2 which were hoping to have ready for review any day now.

Xain likes this.
  26. MooseStache

MooseStache

Heres alittle video update showing the features running on v1.2

Xain likes this.
  27. MooseStache

MooseStache

Version 1.2 will be going into review today so to celebrate I wanted to tease the new tilemap that will be included in v1.3 swamp tilmap twitter.gif

28. MooseStache

MooseStache

We'll make sure to split the Input and the player functionallity on V1.3, we've been thinking on something like an Input Wrapping class such as LordNed's: https://gist.github.com/LordNed/e83fa1f8c64eec592d6b and we'll just store a reference to it on the player class, that way everything related to Input can be handled separately and using custom Input Managers such as InControl, ReWired, etc... should be easier.

Is that what you had in mind?

ratking likes this.
  29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Im using incontrol, and by the way playmaker is also a
    nice way to connect things

30. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

There is also this thread which might give you some other ideas.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/tutorial-modular-input-system-for-your-unity-game.493991/

MooseStache likes this.
  31. MooseStache

MooseStache

I'll check it out, thanks for the link buddy.

We could add some playmaker actions, being honest I've never used playmaker but I'll give it a shot after 1.2 is out and see if we can offer some support for it. :D

32. TechSins

TechSins

Is 1.2 in review by asset store team?

33. MooseStache

MooseStache

Hey Tech, yes it is. But if you or anyone else wants to access it earlier drop us a mail at: moose_stache@hotmail.com with your invoice/order number and I'll send you a copy of the 1.2 version, because Unity likes to take a while to review.

34. Xain

Xain

It's out, thanks for the update!

MooseStache likes this.
  35. MooseStache

MooseStache

Update 1.2 is now live! Sorry it took so long we had a lot of bugs to fix and a long list of features to update, as a added bonus we've created a small demo so u can try out the latest build with all the new features.
    Demo link: https://t.co/XlTuKrtZWx

Xain and nikkoship like this.
  36. nikkoship

nikkoship

Loving version 1.2 so far! Respawning is much cleaner and the checkpoints are a great addition to the kit. Ledge grabbing also helps alot if you want to wait until a enemy is further away before you climb up.

I'm having a small issue with the health system right now. Basically I want the player to spawn with 1/3 health all the time. (I'm worried about people purposefully dying to get max health back.) However it seems like starting health is connected to max health? It would be great for max and starting health to be separate so designers can play with that value some more.

Also another great addition would be allowing "pulling" of boxes as it's very easy for them to get stuck in corners etc, and could potentially break the level if they are used for puzzles.

I'm really impressed by how much work as gone into the kit in such a short amount of time, great work!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  37. MooseStache

MooseStache

Hope you enjoy it :D
    Thank you so much Nikko, we're trying to work as hard as possible to bring you guys the best quality product with all the features you actually need also Box Pulling is intended to be added either in 1.3 or on a hotfix for 1.2 (it was supposed to come out in 1.2 but we had some issues with it and didn't want to deliver a not fully working and upolished mechanic)

About the health system issue, it should be pretty easy to fix, may you please send us an email with the issue tol: moose_stache@hotmail.com , and we'll help you asap.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  38. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

Hello,

I love your product. Great job guys! I just have a few suggestions.

- Dialogue / NPCs
    - Doors to easily head to other levels
    - Inventory / Shop System
    - Item Drops

Also not sure if there is a easy way to add sound effects or music right now but that would be awesome!

One last question is there a way to easily place down things such as spikes? I cant find the way to do it. They also arent snapping to the grid for me.

I appreciate all the hard work you guys are putting into this! Keep up the great work!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  39. MooseStache

MooseStache

Hi Ethan, we're definitelly adding a basic dialog system on the next Update and item drop plus interactable objects such as chests and triggers/levers/doors, but I've got question would you like the door to warp you to another scene? which is what I think would be simplest solution.

The Inventory System / Shop System is something we have planned to add but I'm not sure yet if it will be on Update 1.3, migh be depending on the amount of features we end up adding.

So far the features planned for 1.3 are:
    -New Modular Input Wrapping Class to handle input separately
    -Local Multiplayer Support
    -Interactable Objects (triggers, levers, chests, doors)
    -Custom Currencies along with their pickup (gold, ammo, coins or pretty much any currency you'd like to add)
    -Basic Dialog System
    -Weapon System with weapon switching/equipping
    -Gizmos/Editor for moving platforms/blocks instead of bumpers
    -Make abilities/features easily enabled, disabled or tweaked
    -Minimaps and maybe even add a solution for pixel perfect camera scaling/handling to avoid all of the tearing problems with pixel art inside unity.

We're really glad you're enjoying the asset so far, hopefully we can slowly but steadily turn the pixel platformer engine into the best platformer solution in the asset store but there is a long road ahead of us.

40. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

I would say yes a door that warps to another scene would work. That way you can have the player going from level to level. At least some way to keep the game flowing upon level completion, or if a character enters a building for example a shop then they would need to load into another scene.

MooseStache likes this.
  41. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

zero_equals_zero and MooseStache like this.
  42. MooseStache

MooseStache

Yeah we will implement the solutions just like that, warping to another scene and maybe with preload/async loading too to avoid long loading times.

I had no idea they were working on a pixel perfect camera solution, thanks for the info Lars! It might be very helpful.

WhatTheKen and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  43. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

Is there any planned release date for 1.3?

44. Xain

Xain

Hello again, I'm making a simple pause menu with time scale 0. But player sprite still turns left and right on timescale 0.
    I can jump, dash and crouch as well while on pause. Any idea why? o_O

Edit: Fixed

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  45. MooseStache

MooseStache

Heya ethan we had a little break after finishing update 1.2 to work on a rogue like engine that we will be releasing on the unity store. We will be back working on update 1.3 in the next couple of days and hopefully have it out in the next couple of weeks. Sorry for the delay.

46. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

When is that roguelike engine getting released?

twomack37 likes this.
  47. elijahrockshout

elijahrockshout

Will there be a way to buy the rougelike kit and platformer kit together like a bundle?

48. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

Is this project dead?

49. MooseStache

MooseStache

Hey ethan to answer your first question, it's already been reviewed on the assetstore for a couple of days now so we expect it to be accepted around 4-6 weeks from now which is what it took to get the pixel platformer engine Reviewed. Also my partner was a little confused and said it was going to be a roguelike engine, it is actually going to be a top down engine similar to nuclear throne or enter the gungeon here is a small preview: https://twitter.com/i/status/1018241376981606401

The Pixel Platformer is definitelly not dead, we have been a little busy so we don't check the forum much but we do answer every message or email with questions, suggestions and support.

Yep elijah, we'll make a small upgrade where you'll be able to buy the other engine with a big discount if you have the other one.

elijahrockshout likes this.
  50. WhatTheKen

WhatTheKen

Any idea when 1.3 will be out? Was really looking forward to the shop!