Search Unity

[RELEASED] Mobile ForestVision: Mobile Vegetation Creation System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mcbauer, Nov 16, 2020.

1. mcbauer

mcbauer

Cover.jpg
    If you are familiar with ForestVision, then you will love Mobile ForestVision (MFV)!

Because it is so optimized, you get this entire scene of MFV assets, and it only equals 2 draw calls!

SceneDrawCalls.jpg

Each tree that ships, and that you make, immediately has seasonal versions at your fingertips--all you have to do is change the texture!!

And I've even made that super easy for you as well

ScreenMatSwap.jpg

Don't limit your library to a handful of trees when your library can be unlimited! As you can see, you're not just getting trees, but grass, flowers, bushes and ferns as well!

BuildingBlocks.jpg
    MFV allows you the creative control that you've always wanted, and deserve! No other product allows you this level of freedom and options!

Each tree has 16 texture options:
    Spring v1, Spring v2, Spring v1 Snow, Spring v2 Snow
    Summer v1, Summer v2, Summer v1 Snow, Summer v2 Snow
    Autumn v1, Autumn v2, Autumn v1 Snow, Autumn v2 Snow
    Winter v1, Winter v2, Winter v1 Snow, Winter v2 Snow

Catalog.jpg

MFV is your solution for mobile vegetation!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    knxrb likes this.
  2. mcbauer

mcbauer

Just to give you an idea of the immense amount of assets you get with MFV...

SpringTrees.jpg

SummerTrees.jpg
    AutumnTrees.jpg WinterTrees.jpg

And since everyone loves their conifers...

WinterConifers.jpg
    This is a grand total of 350 trees out of the box!

Don't forget, you can make unlimited additional versions!

NO ONE GIVES YOU MORE!

3. mcbauer

mcbauer

Oh and don't forget there are a couple of assets to help you fill up the ground as well...

GroundCover.jpg

4. mcbauer

mcbauer

5. mcbauer

mcbauer

Added 4 new texture sets to increase the number of trees available, added in a rename tool, and most importantly a Collapse Mesh tool so that you can easily convert MFV trees into Gaia and Veg Studio compatible assets!

6. mcbauer

mcbauer

7. mcbauer

mcbauer

New updates for MFV.
    I spent a little time and made a collapse tool that will allow you to easily transform whatever you create into a terrain ready asset, complete with an LOD Group!
    The tool will also analyze your asset and let you know how many vertices it currently contain.

Set the name, set the path, click and done!

Collapse.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  8. mcbauer

mcbauer

One of the great things about MFV is that creating new trees is so easy. Whatever you make, you immediately have 2 additional versions of it without any extra overhead.

Take your tree, load up the Switch Mesh tool, and choose between your 3 different options!

SwitchMesh.jpg

Save these new prefabs, or collapse them down to the optimized versions, and zero extra draw calls, even though you've made 3 completely new trees!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  9. mcbauer

mcbauer

Finally, this latest update contains 4 new textures derived directly from my game currently in development. I needed trees and vegetation that had a little more saturated colors and unique looking plant species, so a little bit of time in Photoshop and I had what I needed. I was so happy with it, I felt it was worth adding to the core MFV package.

UniqueTrees.jpg

As you can see, I went ahead and made normal colored versions of the new textures as well, just so you had even more options to choose from!

10. mcbauer

mcbauer

11. mcbauer

mcbauer

12. mcbauer

mcbauer

Just wanted to post up a screen from my current game showcasing the flexibility of MFV over other "hard-coded" vegetation options. Capture.JPG

In this situation, I wanted to present a very challenging ascent for the player to get a gem. I was very easily able to reposition branches and leaves as I needed.

Capture2.JPG

Remember, even though this tree has been changed from its prefab, there is zero hit to the actual draw calls.

Here is another example from the same level, using the same material ( Still only 2 draw calls!), but a completely different looking tree. I had the ability to easily move limbs around to create the feeling as if these planks naturally followed the structure of the tree. Before I built and then used MFV in this project I was stuck making the planks fit to what the trees had to offer me, which wasn't much.

Capture3.JPG

Here you can see how well I was able to craft this path for the planks right over and through the tree tops. There was a lot of manipulation required of my trees in order to make this path feel natural but also designed for the players experience.

Capture4.JPG

13. mcbauer

mcbauer

Tinkering with the idea of adding in an extra source mesh that would allow you to quadruple the amount of trees/vegetation you will get from the same 2 draw calls.

As it stands right now, you get 2 draw calls by using a single texture/material on your trees. So for ex., if you use the Autumn1 Material, an unlimited amount of MFV assets can be added to your scene that use that material. If you add in a tree that uses Summer1 Material, you've lost that highly optimized 2 draw call threshold. -- Of course because of how MFV is designed, even adding in that extra material you only add in a single extra draw call!

However, with what I'm considering for this next update, you will be able to include all the assets from 4 different textures ( for ex. Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter) and maintain those 2 draw calls.

14. mcbauer

mcbauer

So my initial tests show that this might be too much of a texture optimization, especially for the ground cover objects. But, I might still add it in, just as a super optimization.

15. mcbauer

mcbauer

Update on the next MFV release. I like what I'm seeing with the 4 texture combined asset group.

CombinedAssets1.JPG
    As you can see above, I have all 4 seasons of the asset collection displayed onscreen with only 2 draw calls being rendered. This means that you can have a ridiculous amount of vegetation displayed with virtually no draw call cost at all.

There is a small hit, texture quality-wise on this combined asset group, especially when it comes to the ground vegetation...
    CombinedAssets2.JPG

...but I think it is more than acceptable, especially considering how much you are gaining with visual variety of vegetation.

Now to make a few more of these 4-texture-combined atlas, and then I'll push the update

16. mcbauer

mcbauer

I updated the switch mesh tool to account for this new asset.

Now you immediately have 12 visual options for every single tree, bush, plant, grass, etc., that you make!

Post1.jpg
    Notice in the image above, you have the Version number, and the Combined number. There are 4 combined versions to choose from, and 3 versions of each of those. Looking at it now, I'm probably going to change up the language a bit to make it clearer, but hopefully you can still understand what is going on here.

Below you see that I changed the Combined version to 2, and then run through each of the 3 varieties.

Post2.jpg

And then Combined version 3, and its 3 varieties...
    Post3.jpg

...and the final combined option, and its varieties.
    Post4.jpg

knxrb likes this.
  17. mcbauer

mcbauer

New update submitted!

18. mcbauer

mcbauer

MFV 1.3 is live
    I decided to change up the names a little to make it easier to understand.

Seasonal Version is the 4 options you have from me collapsing the 4 seasonal textures into one.
    The Variety number is the same 3 options you for each seasonal selection.

I also updated the Menu to include both the new Seasonal versions, and the original. Honestly, I don't see many people using the Original version anymore and will probably remove it at some point.
    Why choose to build and create vegetation that only has 3 visual options when you can have 12?

CombinedUpdate.jpg

I can tell you one thing, I don't foresee me quadrupling these options again. That would mean instead of a single texture having 4 in one, it would be 16 in one with 48 total visual options. While that would be ridiculous, the texture quality on the ground cover pieces would be horrible.

19. mcbauer

mcbauer

Video update for MFV 1.3!

20. mcbauer

mcbauer

Working now on updating ForestVision to be more in line with the structure of Mobile ForestVision, but since it isn't geared towards being mobile friendly, I think I will focus more on species of vegetation.

For example there might be an entire texture devoted to one species of conifer, say spruce. Then you will get the ability to switch between 3 versions of that spruce tree.
    Anywho, just somethings I'm bouncing around

21. mcbauer

mcbauer

MFV price drop! Only $10 while it lasts!

22. mcbauer

mcbauer

Would love to hear some ideas on what I could add to MFV for the next update!

23. aaldere1

aaldere1

Hey there McBauer - does this have wind movement capability?

24. mcbauer

mcbauer

It can use any shader you may have that does it, and it does have a basic shader that fakes it

25. mcbauer

mcbauer

Pushing an update for MFV this weekend. Basically as I was updating Forestvision to match some of the functionality that MFV has, I realized there was a pretty obvious feature I needed to implement.

Instead of using the slider in conjunction with a button to make changes, might as well make it update in realtime.

MFV1.4UPdate.gif

So as you can see, selecting on any MFV asset, will give you the ability to simply use the sliders to make your updates.

26. mcbauer

mcbauer

Price drop to $10 just released!

27. mcbauer

mcbauer