Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rrabassa

rrabassa

Hello!

I am making a side scrolling game in 3d. Is there a way to limit the camera to one side of the player? But also have a bit of control within an angle range? Similar to the game "Inside" by Playdead.

Thanks!

-rich

2. sr388

sr388

Hi Rich.

Precisely, I have received a message similar to yours a few days ago, about this kind of control, here the full content:

User: "I have been working on developing a Trine-like game (2.5D action-adventure) with similar mechanics, but less puzzles and more RPG/combat features. I really like GKC and tried the demo. It does contain most of the features that I would need. However, I would like to set up my game with the following additional properties. Would you please let me know if those are readily possible to integrate or would become available in a future update (I have checked the intended updates by the end of the year)

- 2.5D camera support
    - IK towards the camera (both for head follow and body reaction during shooting arrows, casting, etc)
    - Melee weapons system
    - Ledge grab system"

Me: "Love trine saga and its mechanics.

Currently, the system has not 2.5d options, but right now I am working in a fixed camera system, which will allow to have a 2.5d camera support, to follow the player in 2d perspective (you can see the gifs in the last page of the forum to see it, in this mode the player is able to use powers/weapons too)

Once it is complete, IK in the camera direction will be added (similar to metroid samus returns, is that the IK that you mention, right?).

When that is made, I will add all kind of mechanics for the 2.5d mode, taking inspiration from games like limbo, inside (that fusion between physics and animations are just beyond genious), trine, etc...(love all these kind of games with physics puzzles and systems).

I think that this part will be started this month (mostly the 2.5d camera) but the rest will be continued at the beginning of the next year.

Sorry if this is made too late, but there is a lot of stuff in 3d that I want to complete before start 2.5d mode, but you can be sure that both modes will be avaliable (I will work on this asset forever xd)."

In brief, the asset hasn't a 2.5d mode yet but it will be added after new year, adapting its current features to that mode and adding exclusive for it too. And of course this will include a camera system for that kind of mode, with movement limitations, trigger to zoom in and out the game, angle options, corner rotation for a deeper gameplay, etc...

Tell me if this answer to your question or not and any other doubt or suggestion.

Regards.

YucelBrendel and StevenPicard like this.
  3. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Any ETA on the upgrade :) cant wait to play with the NPC creator

4. sr388

sr388

I want to release it this weekend.

Yesterday I finished the fixed camera system, which is able to work for any player in the scene. I have made hugh changes in the code to make a lot of improvements and also all the considerations neccesary to have more than one player in the scene, to prepare all the parts for the upcoming local multiplayer and now all the systems will be made taking this into account.

So these days will be spent in make tests and finishing the second version of the AI. Can't wait to finish it xd.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, StevenPicard and hopeful like this.
  5. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

kewlio :) will there be a need to update scripts on existing characters or will we have to recreate our characters
    Also wanted to ask. is there a spawn script. want to make a spawner prefab that spawns the player into the scene on scene load

Wetw0rx likes this.
  6. sr388

sr388

For AI, almost everything have changed (most of the previous scripts have been removed), except for a couple of components like the system to get a target and the navigation system, the rest are the same components used by the player, so at least, for this udpate, I think that you will need to recreate your characters (do you mean only the model or actual changes in the code that you could have made? In that case, there will be a custom character creator for AI too, like the player).

About the spawn system, not yet but it will be made, when I start to add persistance for the player and other elements between scenes, which will be included in the new save system for the next update after the current one.

The system most similar to spawn is the current save system which instantiates the player at the side of the save station where he saved the game.

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  7. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Any luck with the release SR?>

8. sr388

sr388

Hi.

Everything goes good. The last parts of the fixed camera system have been added, with a new option to make a smooth camera transition. Also, I am making a little part of a mansion similar to resident evil 1 (nothing fancy xd) to add a new demo scene as an example of the capabilities of the asset, showing how different features work together.

That demo will be improved in every new update until all the mansion is completed (only the mansion part from the game) making a mini game with it.

The next update will be focused exclusively in the last fixes that the asset could need (in case any there is any bug) and the full documentation, along with short videos about the new features since 2.3.6.

For anther update, I will make another demo with the classic corridor, to show every feature one by one.

If everythings goes fine, the update will be uploaded tomorrow. And here a little roadmap of the asset:
    • Update 1 (current): this week.
    • Update 2 for any remaining bug and full documentation: first week of november (the pool of the forum will be closed for that release)
    • Update 3 with parts of the update 2.4 and the pool element with most votes: before end of the year.
    • Update 4 will be specified when the pool is closed (but it will contain the remaining elements of the update 2.4 and the rest of the pool).
    Also, for future updates, I will make new pools, so you can choose the order.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  9. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Thanks man :) really looking forward to it. Like i said earlier most of the game mechanics i wished to include in my game come as standard with your toolkit(and more). Combat NPC AI and dialogue and quest system and im good to gop. I normally do visual scripting with an asset called plyGame(includes lots of game specific blocks that make things easier) but i think i will hold out for when u include those systems in. I hate having to get different assets to talk to each other :)

sr388 likes this.
  10. neodotca

neodotca

Hi, before many other features you already planned, you should add the missing movement on the character, like using the stairs, the ladder and swimming, i know it will come eventually but i think it should be a priority.

Did you test the save on mobile?

Good work, thanks!

11. sr388

sr388

Thanks man, that means a lot. Yeah, sometimes it can be a little pain to work with two or more assets together, that is why a lot of people make integrations for their asset. But for now, I prefer to focus in the development of the asset, because sooner or later, most of the systems will be included on it (one of the reasons is to know as much as possible about game development).

But like I said, once I feel the asset is solid enough, I will work on integrations and also, I want to start to integrate AI systems like emerald and ICE soon.

Of course, adding more range of movements is very important, and it will be made (the stairs will be made this year, the rest will come in the next year).
    About the save system, it will be fixed for this update ;)

Btw, here a pic of the current state of the mansion (it will have all the left part of the ground floor, part of the right and part of the first floor):

Captura.PNG

Regards.

neoshaman, neodotca and tgamorris76 like this.
  12. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Yo sr388, what are the chances of adding a drone to work with the scanner system? like adding a fly mode to the scanner camera and disabling control when its active... sorry i'm rambling :) but played a little "Ghost Recon Wildlands" and i do so love the drones in that. And sci-fi as a premise demands it ;).
    Would be nice if u could include it say as a checkbox for the scanner which makes it flyable

neodotca likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

That is quiet easy to add and sounds good for a drone vehicle. I want to add radio controlled vehicles, so the player stills in a place and drive remotelly the vehicle, to hack systems, scanner elements, unlock doors, use the vehicle as a remote explosive, etc....so consider that included for the update 3 of the above roadmap.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and neodotca like this.
  14. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

NIIICE!!! Thanks man... the gameplay possibilities :)

PS- Update up yet?

15. sr388

sr388

Oh yeah, every suggestion is welcome.

About the update, not yet, I have to finish some parts of the demo mansion, which is allowing me to make the locked camera system editor better and more complete, to configurate really easily every camera of every room needed. I will be back in a few hours ;)

Regards.

16. sr388

sr388

Hi again.

The mansion demo is taking me more time than I expected, but I only need this day to complete the update. There is only a few more camera positions that need to be placed, make some tests and fix a couple of things. I will be back as soon as possible. Sorry the wait.

Regards.

tgamorris76 and rrahim like this.
  17. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Thats kool man :) i believe i speak for us all when i say "we wait with bated breathe" cant wait basically... buut take your time

sr388 likes this.
  18. sr388

sr388

Hi again.

Finally, the mansion demo for this update is complete. Its porpuse is to show the locked camera system, along with the weapon and power system in that fixed camera, the map system and other elements of the asset.

In every update, it will be improved, by adding the save system, inventory objects to unlock doors and resolve puzzles until the full mansion of resident evil 1 is full.

Here the demo, tell me anything that you think, meanwhile I will be finishing the left part of the update, which it will take a few more hours.

https://mega.nz/#!yNFygDzb!DXsDn57Q1Fc-8C3bhB3DWGov5Zem1Bdv02cN0zlhTbk

Regards.

tgamorris76 and StevenPicard like this.
  19. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

I like it :) it's fluid

sr388 likes this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Hi again.

Yesterday and today, I have been working on the update, finishing some pending elements, some improvements and fixing some bug.

Unfortunately, the AI needs some changes to work properly, due to the components used on it now, which are the same of the player, and I want to find the best way to make the AI to ignore the UI elements used by the player.

But at the same time, these elements could be used by the AI when the player controls them (like in dishonored for example), showing all the UI elements that could be necessary.

So a system similar to the one used in vehicles will be the solution, where another inspector has every element used in the UI, and then every vehicle gets that list of elements, so all the vehicles use the same UI, and that is what I want to make for the AI too, avoiding at the same time any problem.

I hate to make another dealy, but some extra days are needed for this, but I will try to make it as soon as possible. Any progress will be posted ;)

Regards.

BryanO and StevenPicard like this.
  21. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Thats kool :) my game aint gonna be done for a while yet ;) whats a few more days

sr388 likes this.
  22. BryanO

BryanO

Great work on the fixed cameras the angles are very cinematic - almost feels like you are watching a character in a movie or tv show.

sr388 likes this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Thanks men, I wanted to add this kind of camera since ever (very fan of resident evil and silent hill) and also, I checked room by room of the resident evil 1 mansion, trying to configure every camera angle like in the game, to make sure the system can give the same feeling, and checking that its workflow is quick and easy aswell.

There are some improvements that will be made, like make the camera to follow the player, so the camera is not in a fixed position but its angle does (like the camera of code veronica) and make the camera looks at the player and follow his position (actually this is made but I forgot to configure a camera in the demo to do it xd).

Btw, I keep working in the update, like I said the AI is the only part left to complete, so in a few more days, it will be uploaded.

Sorry for the delay, I spend all my time between the game that I am doing and the asset, but the waiting will worth it.

Regards.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    tgamorris76 likes this.
  24. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Hey sr388, just wanted to ask if there will be any basic quest and dialogue options included with this update?

25. sr388

sr388

I am afraid no for this update, I wanted to focus in complete previous features added which were not unfinished, not totally functional or with some issue along with a vast improvement over all the asset and previous systems (like AI, fixed cameras, weapons, map, shaking camera, .....).

The roadmap is to launch this update asap, after that, another one fixing any remaining issue and full documentation.
    Then, launch another with the most voted features of this forum poll (the one that you mention is winning for now haha) and back to the regular updates with new features.

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Just a little update.

I have improved some things, like the camera fov transition in vehicles, to make it smoothly and allowing to configure another camera fov for every camera, instead of use the current in the player.

The regeneration of the power is better now, just like in the health system, with a lot of options.

Also, the scanner system has had a good code improvement and now has an option to show the weak spots of an npc (no matter if it is humanoid or not), using the health component and the weak spots configured on it.

It is similar to fallout, to show every weak spot in an npc, in that case the numbers shown are the damage multiplier of every spot, due to the player is already seeing the remaining health of that npc (and the current health system is not made to separate health amounts between the body parts, at least, not yet). This elements are visible in the scanner mode, but maybe I will make a separated system for it.

0-FALLOUT4-GALLYER-6.jpg
    Animation90.gif

It is not finished yet and need some improvements, but I think it could be useful in combat similar to this kind of games.

And of course, I keep working on the AI.

Regards.

27. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Quick question, i want to edit the menu to look something like my final menu and would like to disable a number of options like the change controls(im not going to be using touch controls). How do i go about it?

28. sr388

sr388

You can disable that button gameObject or even delete it and in the Input Manager inspector, remove or disable the action "Change Controls", so the keyboard button used to that action (C by default) is now free.

This actions is made for debug, for those users that want to test touch controls while develope the game.

Regards.

tgamorris76 likes this.
  29. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Thanks for the quick reply. much appreciated

sr388 likes this.
  30. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Is it possible in the next update to make the aircrafts slow speed setting and boost sttings to be toggle-able? Also for the can land option to only be available when the aircraft is travelling at slow speed setting or at least the options to make it so

Wetw0rx likes this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Of course, the current vehicles have room for a lot of improvements, which will be done and also, new types of vehicles will be created.

Precisely, I wanted to add some more features for the aircraft, like barrel rolls, turn the direction 180 degress, and similar stuff, but I haven't been able yet.

So, yeah, already added in the todo list ;).

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  32. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

kewl :) only thing that would be better than a toggle-able slow speed setting would be incremental speeds so te speed goes up longer you have your finger on the accellerator and stops increasing when u take it off

sr388 likes this.
  33. Razmot

Razmot

You should investigate integrating Cinemachine (as it's a free official Unity tech) instead of spending too much time on reinventing the wheel for "virtual cameras" switching / blending.

Just to give you a short overview, the cinemachine third person game rig has 3 virtual cameras, one targeting the spine and positioned at for example 1.5 meters, one camera on the floor, and one just under ceiling height targeting the head bone, and those 3 virtual camera get switched depending on what's in the view, handling collisions .

fyi the latest version is in beta - https://forum.unity.com/threads/cm-v2-1-release-candidate.497202/

sr388 likes this.
  34. sr388

sr388

Do you mean the locked camera system? Don't worry, it is already made and really quick and easy to use. Its porpuse is to make games with a control similar to the first chapters of resident evil/silent hill (it already has options to follow player position, so the camera moves in a fixed angle too). Also, a tank control mode option has been added when the camera is locked, so you can move acording to camera direction or with this tank control.

Animation888.gif

Animation777.gif

I want to add cinemachine integration, to be used for cinematics, so any code applied to the main camera is paused and being able to be controlled for the unity system.

Cinemachine seems that it has a lot of stuff (which is good), I haven't been able to try it yet, but I will do it asap, so maybe could has more uses in the asset.

Regards.

Razmot likes this.
  35. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Cinemachine support when you do the dialogoe and quest update would be really nice....

sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Yeah, that update is planned to come with cinemachine support for cinematics porpuse.

Regards.

37. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

heya, a "are we theer yet moment" :) any news on update ETA?

38. sr388

sr388

Haha, I would ask the same.

I am working on it right now, and will continue all the weekend, so if everything goes well, it will be uploaded in mid week. Beleive me, I am the more excited for launching, so I can start with new cool content and features (and of course, that anyone can test the new version).

Regards.

Wetw0rx and tgamorris76 like this.
  39. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

how do i go about testing it? Is there a download link?

40. sr388

sr388

Not yet, the AI is not totally ready yet. But I could upload a demo without it, to try the new stuff. I will post it here tomorrow ;)

Regards.

41. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Ok kool. Would be nice to have a peek :)

42. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Hey so I'm trying to add the player's head to the list of IK positions for vehicles.
    I would like to make the character look up slightly since I've got him on a hoverbike that he's leaning forward while sitting in. Even better would be to have the player automagically look at a transform that can be positioned or set to move with the camera view or steering.
    Is there a way to at least add the head as an IK position in the vehicle controller? (I saw limbs in IK goals and hints but those lists don't include the head)

sr388 likes this.
  43. sr388

sr388

Now that I think about that, I haven't added that option for the IK in vehicles, but it is useful for cases like you mention (I have already a code to move the head of the player in a direction).

Considere it done. I will add that option tomorrow, it will only take some minutes.

Regards.

Wetw0rx likes this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Done.

Without and with the IK.
    Animation5.gif

Without the previous IK in the spine and head.
    Animation.gif

With the spine IK and the head look rotation
    Animation3.gif

Spine and head direction and position targets.
    Animation10.gif

With these systems, I will try to achieve a more dinamic player movements when the vehicle is moving in a future update, similar to uncharted for example.

giphy.gif
    Back to work.

Regards.​

45. neoshaman

neoshaman

Good job

Cinemachine do have dynamic and extensive camera too for gameplay too, I mean fixed, on rail and third person with environment shift.

Razmot and sr388 like this.
  46. sr388

sr388

I definetively have to check cinemachine, which I will do for the next update after this.

Btw, I have improved the devices in the asset, making a better system to use them (by moving the camera to the device and now, moving the device to the camera).

Here, you can see that the object has a button to be pressed.
    Animation10.gif

Another object, with an UI to add a text to read.
    Animation11.gif

Here you can see that the objects are rendered in another camera, while you use it, to avoid clipping problems.
    Animation13.gif

This systems allows to examinate any object, rotate it, change the zoom and press any object on it to activate secundary functions. And of course, it works in first and third person.

I don't forget the demo, but I want to configurate a few things first. It will be upload as soon as possible.

Regards.

47. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Nice feature, love it :) will come in real handy(working on an action adventure game with emphasis on story

sr388 likes this.
  48. neoshaman

neoshaman

I should mention there is:
    - timeline (cinematic animation)
    - cinemachine (camera system)
    The too are often confused because unity present them in tandem most of the time, since they use cinemachine inside timeline to control the camera.

sr388 and hopeful like this.
  49. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Amazing! That's exactly what I was going for. Thanks for the speedy reply as always. Hyped for this next update more than ever now lol.

sr388 and tgamorris76 like this.
  50. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone. Just another quick update.

I have been adding Handles.FreeMoveHandle in every custom editor which uses waypoints or empty transform to configure positions, like the map creator system, the path to draw and keep weapons, waypoint platform system, ai patrols, etc.... allowing to configure these elements much more quicker (without need or select a certain point, just the general element which uses it). Also, you can undo or redo these actions with ctrl + z / ctrl + y.

Here a couple of gifs:

Animation888888888.gif

Animation92732973927392.gif

Animation45654645654645645.gif
    Day to day I find new custom editor options which are really useful.

Thanks to both. Yeah, I really like how these features look and really wanted them in the asset.

Mmmmm, I see, yeah, there is some stuff that I want to check about them, to see how they work as camera controller and as cinematic mode.

Regards.

tgamorris76, Wetw0rx and YucelBrendel like this.