Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CM v2.1 Release Candidate

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Adam_Myhill, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

A lot of work has gone into this release
    As always, we deeply value your feedback. Let us know how things go!

Version 2.1 RC 7
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwhlqkMsERx4VzZoMUFMa2xQR28

Also, because it's a beta, we haven't finished all the example scenes or documentation
    hit these forums with questions if you get stuck anywhere

If you get errors, delete your old Cinemachine folder and re-import this new version. All your cameras and settings will be ok.
    New Features
    - Post Processing Stack V2 is now supported.

- New Collider implementation curb feelers are gone, replaced by a clever camera-repositioning algorithm that will try to preserve camera height or distance from target (strategy is user-selectable).

- New Cinemachine Confiner confine a virtual camera to a simple bounding volume.

- Added Lookahead Time to Composer. Composer will look at the point where it estimates the target will be at some time in the near future. This gives much more natural framing of a moving target.

- New Framing Transposer This is a special transposer that will respect composition and framing rules by moving the camera without rotating it. Takes only a Follow Target (no LookAt - this is important). Designed for Orthographic cameras, but will also work for Perspective cameras. If Follow target is a CinemachineTargetGroup, then will also provide Group Framing options. Great for 2D

- New Cinemachine POV 1st person shooter type aim component. Camera aim is entirely controlled by user, using 2 input axes.

- New Cinemachine MixingCamera Drive a continuous blend of up to 8 virtual cameras from timeline or game logic. Create complex rigs with custom blends and expose them as ordinary vcams.

- New Cinemachine DollyCart behaviour, for moving anything along a path. No need to create dummy vcams just for that.

- New Cinemachine SmoothPath component. You can use it instead of the old CinemachinePath. The difference is that the SmoothPath guarantees second-order continuity, which means that there will never be any sudden camera rotation changes baked into the path tangents. Easier to use, too: no tangents to mess around with (they get automatically set for smoothness).

- Path now supports Distance Units in addition to Path units, making it easy to create steady motion.

- TrackedDolly: added ability to use Distance or Path units for path position.

- Transposer and TrackedDolly: added target angular damping on 3 axes.

- OrbitalTransposer and FreeLook: added angular damping and binding mode, same as Transposer.

- OrbitalTransopser and freelook: added checkbox to invert input axis.

- Added IgnoreTimeScale option to Brain. Useful for snappy cameras even in slo-mo.

Improvements

- SmartUpdate is smarter: added support for Interpolation when target is animated by physics system.
    - Added off-button for SaveDuringPlay.
    - No SaveDuringPlay for vcam priority, LookAt and Follow targets, GroupTarget members.
    - Added IsBlending API method to StateDrivenCamera and ClearShot.
    - TargetGroup now has a user-selectable update method.
    - TargetGroup now respects the weight when computing bounding box, so it's possible to gradually add or remove members by manipulating the weight.
    - Clearshot: if randomize, then re-randomize whenever it becomes active.
    - ClearShot: default blend is cut.
    - ClearShot create menu: add a Collider by default.
    - FollowZoom: min/max FOV defaults changed to 3/60.
    - Composer damping range is now 0-20 instead of 0-100.
    - Orbital and FreeLook: Heading Bias can now be animated on the timeline.
    - Orbital and FreeLook: damping no longer interferes with camera response to user input. Axis movement bypasses all damping.
    - TrackedDolly: added path position offset to Auto-Dolly. Stays on the path (unlike path offset, which is based on the path tangent and so can go off the path)
    - Noise component inspector now has a dropdown for Profile presets, instead of directly allowing editing of the Profile asset.
    - Added concept of Cinemachine Extension . Collider, confiner, PostProcessing, etc are now Extensions. They are available via a dropdown at the bottom of the inspection for virtual cameras. They will no longer appear in the standard Components menu.
    - Time.timeScale = 0 is now supported. Pausing the game will also pause the virtual cameras.
    - Split HardConstraint into 2 options: Do Nothing, and HardLookAt/Follow. The latter replaces the former behaviour of HardConstraint. The "Do Nothing" option allows the vcam to have a target that does not affect the vcam's transform.
    - Added draggable transform handle for some vcams. Transposer, OrbitalTransposer, and Tracked Dolly update their camera offset to incorporate the position change.
    - API enhancement: Added CinemachineVirtualCameraBase.MoveToTopOfPrioritySubqueue() to make a vcam active if it shares the same highest priority with other vcams in the scene.
    - SaveDuringPlay: removed use of obsolete API, so that Undo now works to revert changes propagated back to the scene from Play Mode.
    - Timeline Shot inspector: reflects changes to extensions. Sections labeled better.
    - Changed inspector Error messages to Warnings
    - Brain no loner requires a Camera component. Can be added to an ordinary GameObject, so that it can become a container for a VR rig, or for other things.
    - vcam inspector: update type display only if SmartUpdate
    - Confiner: added support for PolygonCollider2D. Now confining shape can be auto-generated from tilemap
    - Transposer, Orbital, and FreeLook: added new Simple Follow binding mode for natural follow behaviour.
    - FreeLook and Orbital: improved axis accel/decel logic, for more responsiveness

Bugfixes

- SaveDuringPlay obsolete API fix for 2017.2.
    - Fixed build errors when building for UWP.
    - Clearshot and SDC: don't reset state if deactivated.
    - FreeLook destroy - no more orphan rigs.
    - Fixed strange build error that only showed up in MonoDevelop.
    - FreeLook was not respecting X-axis accel and decel. Heading speed had to be crazy high. Now same as Orbital (warning: may have to re-tune settings on existing FreeLooks).
    - Recenter to target heading was not moving smoothly in some circumstances.
    - Collider raycasts no longer hit triggers.
    - Noise: handle variable deltaTime gracefully.
    - State-Driven-Camera: don't generate errors when animated target is inactive.
    - Several jitter and judder issues resolved.
    - Collider was not pushing back all the way in some circumstances
    - Solo works in context of Timeline
    - Extensions work even if vcam is disabled (same as component pipeline)
    - StateDrivenCamera: get rid of warning spam when not in play mode
    - API change: Added new base class CinemachineComponentBase, replaces interface ICinemachineComponent.
    - API change (Editor): Added new base class for inspector editors
    - SmoothPath bugfix: was not always smooth at the loop connection
    - Framing Transposer bugfix: was performing poorly in 3D scenes where camera is at an oblique angle to game plane. Works better now. Also added possibility of an unlimited soft zone size (i.e. no hard zone)
    - MixingCamera bugfix: extensions were not working properly
    - extensions were not managed properly when child vcams were reparented
    - SaveDuringPlay was not saving disabled objects
    - Composer was ignoring dead zone if no damping (stupid bug recently introduced)
    - Always use LateUpdate if target is not moving
    - If blending, ignore LookAt target if both camera orientations are the same
    - Confiner: ConfineScreenEdges defaults to true if ortho camera
    - SmartUpdate was broken for FixedUpdate-animated things
    - SmartUpdate: if vcam has no targets, look at vcam's transform to see if it's being animated
    -

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Small review:
    -Post-Processing Stack V2 support - Amazing.
    -New Collider is even better than before - Perfect.
    -IgnoreTimeScale - Great for time changing cut-scenes - Great.
    -TimeScale = 0 support - Great for pausing the game, no need to disable camera controls and stuff.
    -New Composer Lookahead Time - Amazing for even more physical and cinematic camera movement.
    -New Cinemachine MixingCamera - Just perfect.
    -Works with 2017.3 Beta - No need to wait for any small updates - Great.

-Add min/max values in the new CM POV:
    Would be useful when player should only see front of the scene:
    Example:
    Character laying on mountain looking at the city that they will attack in a second. Player can only look forward. (Developers can remove everything from behind that player can't see, which will improve performance in their games)

-Add default FOV in the Edit->Preferences->Cinemachine, new created cameras should use it.

-Add debug text position Enum: Top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right. (Useful when all of my debug UI is in the top left and i would want to see CM debug text in bottom left or something)

-Multi-object editing support should be added. - Useful for changing things such as FOV in all the selected cameras etc, right now developer needs to select every single camera and change FOV which takes even few minutes when you have scene with hundreds of cameras.

-Freelook should have Collider added by default. (?)

-FreeLook Recenter Heading Y axis support. - Used in almost all racing/third person games.

-Dragging vCam from Inspector into Timeline CM track should automatically create CM shot and assign the vCam.

-After creating new vCam it should be automatically selected in the Hierarchy.

-Add "Save During Play" to the new extensions.

Bugs:
    -Adding any extension to a vCam that's being selected in Timeline adds it to the vCam but doesn't update Inspector window, user needs to deselect and select vCam again to fix it.
    Example: https://gyazo.com/3678bf8bc3f48f80fe628984f319ad09

-Clicking on Solo button in selected CM clip in Timeline turns on Preview mode even thought it was disabled.

Small question:

-I wanted to use CM logo in my game splash screen, Do i need to contact anyone about that and also where can i download full-res (4K) logo?

That's it for now.

Thank you.

Jacob

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Adam_Myhill, Alverik and Gregoryl like this.
  3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

RC just updated with some bugfixes:
    - Bugfix: Tracked Dolly "Default" setting was not respecting World Up
    - Bugfix: FreeLook was aligning to X-axis instead of Z-axis, requiring a 90-degree bias to correct
    - Bugfix: CinemachineCollider was creating a spurious invisible sphere collider at the scene origin, which persisted until Unity restart

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    JakubSmaga likes this.
  4. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

@JacobSmaga as ever your feedback is fantastic and rich with good ideas.

POV min/max. Absolutely. We've discussed it, it's on the list. We wanted to get this out first. The UI design for it needs more discussion

Freelook collider - arguable. We're keeping it off for simplicity for now. It's a lot of interface to traverse.

Freelook Y recenter. Absolutely. It's at the interface design stage. We're getting a little pressure from the Unity UX department about how big / intense some of the CM panels are!

Dragging vcam into Timeline. Oh we know.. it's actually on the Timeline team and it's not as simple as it sounds. We've been asking for a while and it will get done.

Autoselect vcam after creation. Fantastic idea. On the list.

Bugs: Yes. On the list, thank you.

CM Art - yes! email me adam.myhill@unity3d.com

Thanks Jacob, you're a real friend of CM, we appreciate all your feedback immensely.

JakubSmaga likes this.
  5. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

I'm glad that i can help and work with this amazing software. :)

Email sent.

6. eXiin

eXiin

Hello Guys!
    Good job, I've just tried the RC1. It's really good!

One change I would do is to give two Damping values on the collider:
    - First value when it's actually colliding
    - A second value when it's not colliding

Also it coud be good to add a radius to the line of sight detection and switch between a raycast and a spherecast if the radius is above 0

Gregoryl likes this.
  7. elettrozero

elettrozero

Is CinemachinePostFx still used to select PostProcessing Volume? Or is there another way?

8. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

For PostProcessing V2, it is different (and simpler).
    Put a standard PostProcessingLayer on the Unity Camera (alongside the CinemachineBrain).
    On the Vcam, put a CinemachinePostProcessing extension (accessible via the vcam Extension popup in the inspector). Populate it with a profile. This profile will blend in along with the vcam.
    CinemachinePostFX behaviour exists only if you have PostProcessing V1.

[Edit] you have to make sure that the vcams are on a layer that PostProcessingLayer can see.

9. elettrozero

elettrozero

Hi Gregoryl,
    the only extensions I see are:
    CinemachineCollider
    CinemachineConfiner
    CinamachineFollowZoom

10. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

The CinemachinePostProcessing extension is dependent on the PostProcessing V2 module. It will appear when you upgrade PostProcessing, and CinemachinePostFX will disappear at the same time.

11. elettrozero

elettrozero

I have downloaded and installed PostProcessing V2 from git.
    I have Post Process Layer on Camera and a GameObject with Post Process Volume on it, I should be good...

12. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

And you are not seeing CinemachinePostProcessing extension? Do you have the CinemachinePostProcessing.cs file?

13. elettrozero

elettrozero

Yep, had to add UNITY_POST_PROCESSING_STACK_V2 in player settings, now it works.

14. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

hmmm... should have done that automatically. How old is your PPv2?

15. elettrozero

elettrozero

:) Got it this morning right after Cinemachine V2.1 (blame Adam, I do anything he says)
    I'm on UWP platform, maybe this makes the difference?

16. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Shouldn't make a difference. Be aware that the Player Setting defines are per-platform. If you switch platforms you'll have to add the define again. PPv2 is supposed to do that automatically. I wonder why it didn't run for you.

17. elettrozero

elettrozero

I'm the unluckiest guy on the planet.
    Is there a way to convert PPv1 settings to PPv2 so I don't have to redo all of them one by one?

18. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Nope.

19. elettrozero

elettrozero

Thank you Jacob for proving my point ;)

JakubSmaga and Gregoryl like this.
  20. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Updated to RC2. Release Notes:
    - Performance improvements
    - CinemachineExternalCamera: added LookAt field, for improved blending
    - Cinemachine Menu: automatically select the newly created vcam
    - CinemachineConfiner: added Confine Screen Edges option if camera is orthographic

JakubSmaga likes this.
  21. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Hi @Gregoryl! Just a small question, should i disable my vCams that i don't use or can they just stay active? (Asking about performance)

22. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I think it's good practice to disable the vcams that are not being used, especially if you have a lot of them. Vcams are cheap, but they're not free. And not all of them are cheap - it depends what they're doing (e.g. colliders are expensive because they do raycasts).

JakubSmaga likes this.
  23. whilefun

whilefun

Any chance of getting a basic example scene showing how one can use the new POV camera type to transition from traditional "first person shooter" type view to a cinematic camera and back again?

For example, player playing normally, then they hit a trigger and the camera transitions to a cutscene or other cinemachine camera-drivern sequence.

Thanks!

24. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@brendonsmall The example scenes are still a little lean, sorry about that. The POV cam is no different from any other vcam - it just has a POV component for the Aim. When you activate a cut-scene vcam, the incoming vcam will blend in gracefully from the POV. During the blend, the input axes will gradually have less effect, as the new vcam takes over. The same thing happens, in reverse, when blending back to the POV vcam.

25. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

RC3 now available for download.

Release Notes:
    • Split HardConstraint into 2 options: Do Nothing, and HardLookAt/Follow. The latter option is the same as the old HardConstraint, i.e. will set the vcam's transform if there are LookAt/Follow targets. The "Do Nothing" option allows the vcam to have a target, yet will never alter the vcam's transform.
    • Added draggable transform handle for some vcams. Transposer, OrbitalTransposer, and Tracked Dolly respond to this by updating their camera offset to incorporate the position change.
    • API enhancement: Added CinemachineVirtualCameraBase.MoveToTopOfPrioritySubqueue() to make a vcam active if it shares the same highest priority with other vcams in the scene.
    • SaveDuringPlay: removed use of obsolete API, so that Undo now works to revert changes propagated back to the scene from Play Mode.
    • Timeline Shot Inspector: reflects changes to extensions. Sections labeled better.
    • Bugfix: Collider was not pushing back all the way in some circumstances
    • Bugfix: Solo works in context of Timeline
    • Bugfix: Extensions work even if vcam is disabled (same as component pipeline)
    • StateDrivenCamera: get rid of warning spam when not in play mode
    • API change: Added new base class CinemachineComponentBase, replaces interface ICinemachineComponent.
    • API change (Editor): Added new base class for inspector editors

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    JakubSmaga likes this.
  26. pleasantPretzel

pleasantPretzel

Just tested out RC3. The camera collider is working PERFECT now. Excellent. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Just a heads up, I got tons of errors because the PostProcessing namespace wasn't included in the GetSetDrawer and MinDrawer scripts.

By the way, good move on renaming the Line of Sight bool to "Avoid Obstacles".
    I am still a tad confused though. If "Avoid Obstacles" is unchecked, does the collider extension do anything? Is it effectively just a public on/off switch?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  27. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

The Collider also does shot evaluation, which is needed for ClearShot to function correctly.

28. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@slufter For the warnings, it's usually a good idea when upgrading a package like Cinemachine, to delete the old installation first. Otherwise, you can be left with some old files mixed in with the new, in the event that scripts get renamed or deleted. The Unity Package install system does not delete the old files.

29. pleasantPretzel

pleasantPretzel

Ah, I was unaware. Thank you for the let know!

30. IgorDemchuk

IgorDemchuk

Wait, but wouldn't it delete all cameras settings you have in your project?

31. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

No, it keeps the settings, thanks to Unity's .meta files. While the asset is deleted your scene will be confused, but it will figure itself out when the new version of the asset is installed.

IgorDemchuk likes this.
  32. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

RC4 now available for download.

Release Notes:
    • SmoothPath bugfix: was not always smooth at the loop connection
    • Framing Transposer bugfix: was performing poorly in 3D scenes where camera is at an oblique angle to game plane. Works better now. Also added possibility of an unlimited soft zone size (i.e. no hard zone)
    • MixingCamera bugfix: extensions were not working properly
    • Changed inspector Error messages to Warnings

JakubSmaga likes this.
  33. elettrozero

elettrozero

If I update to Unity 2017.2 will I keep CM 2.1 and PostProcessing V2?

34. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

35. elettrozero

elettrozero

Just Updated to RC4 from RC2
    Assets/Cinemachine/Base/Editor/PropertyDrawers/GetSetDrawer.cs(7,34): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `GetSetAttribute' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

36. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Delete the old CM install first - the Unity package install leaves some orphan files

elettrozero likes this.
  37. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

bug: errors in the console "follow zoom was destroyed but is still being accessed"
    create a virtual camera
    duplicate and parent both under a camera mixer
    add a follow zoom to the mixer
    unparent both VC, delete one and delete the mixer

38. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

The group composer is quite nice but I cannot get rid of jerky motions, even with cranking up the lookhead time and all damping. Any online guide to help achieve a smooth camera move when the group's agents move abruptly (but not too far)?

Screen Shot 10-17-17 at 03.11 AM.PNG

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  39. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

nice one!

40. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Small Feedback:

-Make all of those scripts use CM icon:

-Use the same icon for Blender/Noise settings:

41. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@JacobSmaga Thanks for the suggestion. The logic is that the icon is attached only to things that are specifically vcams or vcam components. This makes it easy to find the vcams. If we start putting it on non-vcam things like groups and paths, it gets confusing.

JakubSmaga likes this.
  42. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

1. Don't use Lookahead for this. It will make things worse, as it tries to guess where the group average will be in the future - a highly error-prone endeavor. Turn it off.
    2. You did not show the Body settings for your vcam. It is quite possible, if you are using transposer and following the group, that the camera position is changing rapidly as the group average position changes. You need to damp that also so that it matches the composition damping.
    3. You can get very smooth and natural results by using a fixed camera location (select "do nothing" for the body).
    4. If you're trying to mimic a camera hidden in the bushes, then you might consider setting the adjustment mode to "Zoom Only" and having a fixed camera position as mentioned in point 3. That's what would happen in the real world.

43. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

RC5 is now available for download.
    Release Notes:
    • bugfix: extensions were not managed properly when child vcams were reparented
    • bugfix: SaveDuringPlay was not saving disabled objects
    • bugfix: composer was ignoring dead zone if no damping (stupid bug recently introduced)
    • bugfix: always use LateUpdate if target is not moving
    • bugfix: if blending, ignore LookAt target if both camera orientations are the same
    • Confiner: ConfineScreenEdges defaults to true if ortho camera
    • Enhancement: Brain no loner requires a Camera component. Can be added to an ordinary GameObject, so that it can become a container for a VR rig, or for other things.

JakubSmaga likes this.
  44. LaneMax

LaneMax

Is there a trick setting a targets weight in code in a Target Group? When ever I try setting the weight in code it doesn't seem to update the value.

45. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@LaneMax no special trick, just set values like any other array.

46. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

We're using Unity 5.6.4 which has no Timeline nor Playables systems (and we do not plan on using any Timeline/Playables based features) - am I correct in assuming that simply removing the Timeline folder from Cinemachine removes all Timeline-interacting components without impacting any core functionality of Cinemachine? :)

P.S.: Really glad about new collision handling and support for time scaling, those were the biggest pain points for us. :)

47. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@bac9-flcl We haven't tested it with 5.x for a while, but in principle you are right - just remove the Timeline folder. It's possible that there are also some dependencies on newer APIs that you will have to find workarounds for. Let us know how it goes.

48. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Seems to work nicely! The dolly group example is a bit non-obvious (there is some missing part of it driven by the timeline system), but other examples work fine. I'll get to integrating it to our project straight away, can't wait to replace the old v1 .dll we're still running with. :)

Gregoryl likes this.
  49. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

RC6 is now available for download.
    Release Notes:
    • regression bugfix: SmartUpdate was broken for FixedUpdate-animated things
    • SmartUpdate: if vcam has no targets, look at vcam's transform to see if it's being animated
    • vcam inspector: update type display only if SmartUpdate
    • Confiner: added support for PolygonCollider2D. Now confining shape can be auto-generated from tilemap
    • Transposer, Orbital, and FreeLook: added new Simple Follow binding mode for natural follow behaviour.
    • FreeLook and Orbital: improved axis accel/decel logic, for more responsiveness

Corvwyn, CDF, ArthurT and 1 other person like this.
  50. f1ac

f1ac

I have noticed a strange behaviour with a simple freelook camera attached to a model controlled by a 3rd person controller. I'm getting random frame times by CM, mostly spent in CinemachineBrain.LateUpdate() or .UpdateVirtualCamera().

First try: it takes 12ms per frame in fixed update mode and 4ms in late/smart update mode.
    Second try: 0.1ms fixed, 11ms late, 3.5ms smart.
    Third try: 0.1, 3, 3.6ms
    I'm using Unity 2017.2 and CM 2.1 RC6
    Did anyone experience this random behaviour?

Update: ok, I've restarted Unity and now it takes relatively stable 0.3ms spent in CM late update. Should have known it will end like this :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Gregoryl likes this.