Search Unity

[RELEASED] Enviro - Sky and Weather (Dynamic Sky and Weather System)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vondox, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Vondox

Vondox

Hello, 2.0.4 should be live next week.

2. Vondox

Vondox

Do you have any other Enviro Zones in your scene besides the default one on EnviroSky prefab?

3. Vondox

Vondox

Do you have added the new microsplat integration component to one of our gameobjects in your scene?

4. russnash37

russnash37

I just have the default zone from the prefab at the moment.

5. Vondox

Vondox

Do get same issues in sample scene? Maybe try to replace the prefab in your scene.

6. russnash37

russnash37

Yes, I am getting the same exceptions in the sample scene. Coincidentally, I also noticed that changing the current weather in the sample scene is having no effect.

7. Vondox

Vondox

Sounds like somehting messed please try a fresh import of enviro. Backup your profiles in a new unitypackage and delete whole enviro folder before import. Then replace the envirosky object in your scene.

8. russnash37

russnash37

I just re-imported just the prefab from the package and that has fixed the issue, thank you for your help!

9. gecko

gecko

Argh, sorry. I misread that in the text instructions. Okay, works now....but snow appears on ground immediately after snow begins, and disappears very quickly after snowing stops. Is there a way to adjust those? I'd like both to be much slower.

EDIT: Also, I would like to have more logic in the way snow accumulates -- I've got a mountainous scene, and it really should accumulate sooner on the mountaintops than in the valleys. (And melt should be reverse.) I can simulate that by sliding the lower value on the Height Range downward during snowfall, but obviously need some code to control that. Is that something you might consider adding, or should we create that functionality ourselves?

10. Vondox

Vondox

The transition speed settings are in "Edit Profile" -> "Weather" category. Nice point! I will add those function to the integration component later. :)

11. gecko

gecko

Ah, of course! Thanks. And it would be really great to have similar controls over Height (lower and upper end of range), and also (as long as I'm asking :) for Angle. Maybe those would use curves, so I could set the start and end value, and the curve and duration from start to finish?

EDIT: Hmm, I changed the Accumulation and Melt speeds to 55, but the snow still accumulates and melts in just a few seconds...

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  12. Vondox

Vondox

Why so high :D

Default should be 0.05f you can lower that if you need it to be slower of course.

13. gecko

gecko

Oh...so what is the unit? I thought it was game-time. Default appeared to be 1. So smaller value means slower?

14. kweinhold

kweinhold

This doesn't work in Enviro 1.9. Has it been fixed in the latest version?

What happens is EnviroSky resets the fog settings (distanceFogIntensity, heightFogIntensity) when AdvancedFog is true. Thus, even though fog is being reduced every update cycle by EnviroInteriorFog, it is also being set back to the default.

-kevin :)

Actually, on further exploration, setting the distanceFogIntensity doesn't have any effect on the fog inside a house. I set it to 0f in the profile so that it would always be 0f, and the fog still fills the world and house (set weather to foggy).

I need a solution for removing the fog when player goes inside a house (or better, a no-fog zone within the house).

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  15. Kalle801

Kalle801

I mean the moon shadows and light at night :D

16. Crembo

Crembo

Hello, having VR trouble in Unity 2018.1 with single-pass forward rendering, the clouds look amazing and so does the fog but the volumetric lighting shafts on the right eye are offset! (The volumetric lighting on the left eye is working fine, it's just the right eye volumetric lighting that seems to come from the wrong direction). Is there a config setting I messed up?

EDIT: Figured I should attach something pretty to look at if I'm asking for help :)
    Light_shafts_pretty.PNG

clickmatch likes this.
  17. Vondox

Vondox

There is a new component for this in latest enviro version. So maybe update. :)

18. Vondox

Vondox

Thanks for your report! Again new version and something breaks in single pass. :(
    I have figured out it is related to low level graphics api that I use to easily calculate pixel world position in post processing shader. I have rewritten that now and it looks good in my first tests.

I send you a test version that should work later. :)

Crembo likes this.
  19. serberusno1

serberusno1

Somebody may have answered this already but I can't find an answer here. When entering my weather zones the clouds for inside the weather zone just "pop" into view instead of being a gradual transition. Wondering exactly what setting to change here as it's not completely clear- a bunch of different slider sound like they do this but I don't get the result I want

20. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I have just upgraded unity to version 2018.1.2 and now there are several Enviro Shaders not compiling. Is there a fix for this? I am using Enviro 2.0.3 I believe.

Mamy thanks

21. Vondox

Vondox

Please take a look into "Edit Profile" -> "Weather" category and set lower clouds transition speed.

22. Vondox

Vondox

Strange, I have tested in 2018.1.2f1 yesterday and it is working or me. Please try to reimport those shaders.

Hawk0077 likes this.
  23. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks I am just backing upo then I will try and let you know here. Thanks Vondox

24. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

When I try to import the package I cannot simply choose the shaders... Not sue whats going on as everything seems to be working as far as I can see.

25. serberusno1

serberusno1

Thanks for the reply. So it appears that works fine for the clouds but the actual sky behind it is what seems to just "pop" in. Can't find a setting for this to change.

26. Alexanderansoft

Alexanderansoft

Why the volumetric clouds so slow? With volumetric clouds 86 fps, without 125 fps!
    Enviro Version 2.0.3
    Unity 2017.4.3f1 (64-bit)

27. serberusno1

serberusno1

It appears to be the fog transition speed that's causing this pop in but I already have it set to .01?

28. transat

transat

Hi @Vondox . In regards to performance, it's not clear from the manual if the "both" setting for clouds is a compromise between flat and volumetric or if it's even more CPU/GPU intensive?

29. Vondox

Vondox

I think you would need to delete those files or whole enviro folder first. Please send me an e-mail with your error log please if that won't help.

30. Vondox

Vondox

Thanks, I think I know what you mean. I will have a look into that and improve in next update.

31. serberusno1

serberusno1

Thank you. Also having looked at the profiler I've noticed that there's a large GC.collect function that's taking up around 43% of performance budget. It seems to be coming from Enviro, do you have any idea how to rectify this garbage collection issue?

32. Vondox

Vondox

That is pretty much the cost for volumetric rendering. You can finetune the settings in EnviroSky inspector -> "Edit Profile" -> "Clouds" category. If you choose "Custom" clouds quality more settings will show up.

33. Vondox

Vondox

"Both" will use both system together. So no performance benefits here. :D

34. Vondox

Vondox

Could you please show me a profiler screenshot? I don't see any gc allocation from a enviro component and no gc collect related hickups.

35. serberusno1

serberusno1

I'll get you one tonight. I'll check once more just to make sure it's from Enviro but it seemed to be

36. iichiversii

iichiversii

What new features are in 2.0.4, I'm very keen to know when it's planned to introduce clouds I can fly into

37. serberusno1

serberusno1

Hey so looking closer I'm not sure if it's from enviro, it could be from another asset but if you can tell if it's from Enviro then please let me know. I'm not a programmer obviously so I don't know the ins and out of this. I can't even find any solid guides on how to find the cause of this garbage collection

Attached Files:

38. serberusno1

serberusno1

Also- the issue I'm having with the "popping"- I have a little more info on it now. It seems to mostly be the fog that's popping in. Changing the weather>fog transition setting doesn't help. Also the transition for most of my settings changes super slowly after I leave the weather zones I've set up.

One more issue- I can't seem to set custom fog distance settings per zone, colour and density seem to work but I can ,for instance set a really distant and light fog for a sunny area and then have a really dense and close fog for a snowy area. Hope you can help

39. nirvanajie

nirvanajie

Hi,
    I send you a PM about how to custom the sky color and light color. Please check your inbox. Thanks.

40. Vondox

Vondox

Sorry, will not be included in 2.0.4. Maybe I can finish that one with 2.1, but it will take some time as I need to rewrite shaders and general system quite a bit and it does not has top priority.

iichiversii likes this.
  41. transat

transat

Cool. But if it's not dynamic then why would one choose that setting over plain volumetric? Does it look better to mix in flat clouds with volumetric ones?

42. Vondox

Vondox

Just go through your profiler log and check what scripts raise your GC Allocation. Looks like there are multiple in your project. Only component from enviro that will allocate some garbage is the DemoUI from my samples. Will check that out later, but that one is just for my demo scene so should not be a big deal anyway.

Here a profiler screenshot of the terrain sample scene with enviro (deactivated the sample ui) while raining and all features enabled.

upload_2018-5-29_15-27-33.png

43. Vondox

Vondox

Is the pop-in for sky only or whole scene? Please contact me in private chat and maybe record some short video to show the effect.

The weatherzone just changes the weather when you enter that zone. If you set a high fog density in snowy weather presets and that one is active it should be dense fog. Once you exit that zoe and weather changes to "Clear Sky" the fog should get lighter again.

The distance fog setting in EnviroSky Inspector is a global setting. You could try to setup an interior zone in your weather zones to modify those settings for your different zones too, if that is what you are looking for.

44. Vondox

Vondox

Both clouds types are dynamic/procedural.
    If you set to "None" you only have control over a light layer of cirrus type clouds.
    Volumetrics only : Cirrus then volumetric clouds.
    Flat only: Cirrus then procedural flat clouds.
    Both: Cirrus then flat then volumetric clouds.

So it maybe could create some more interesting clouds effect if you chose both.

transat likes this.
  45. Nigey

Nigey

Building to Android on 2018.1. Getting 3 errors on build:

I'm targeting for the Vive Focus, but really that just means Android with forced Landscape Left. Nothing really else out of the ordinary. Not ticking VR supported or anything. It looks like it's not liking [loop] and [branch]. Not sure why yet.

Any thoughts guys?

46. rasto61

rasto61

What graphics api?

47. Nigey

Nigey

I had it set to auto. Unticking showing it's building to ES2 and ES3, but not Vulkan. I was going to try building for various graphics apis to see whether others work, but it's taking ages to switch between target apis.

48. rasto61

rasto61

I think that desktop enviro wont work on ES2. So set it to ES3. Not sure about vulkan.

49. Nigey

Nigey

Okay I'll give that a go, thanks for the heads up.

50. Vondox

Vondox

Vulkan is supported and would be the best option from that three I think.