Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Dialogue System for Unity - easy conversations, quests, and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TonyLi, Oct 12, 2013.

1. BACALL

BACALL

Hi! Doesn't show up in a clean project, using latest Unity 2023.2.14f1, using latest Dialogue System from Package Manager (version 2.2.43.1), READ ME file says (version 2.2.44).

Screenshot of the menu with above setup (nothing else is suppressing the menu items):

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

What OS are you using? Here's a fresh 2.2.44 install on Windows 11 and Unity 2023.2.14:

upload_2024-3-13_10-28-56.png

As a test, please edit VariableViewWindow.cs and change line 15 from:

Code (csharp):
    1. [MenuItem("Tools/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Tools/Variable Viewer", false, -1)]
    to:

Code (csharp):
    1. [MenuItem("Tools/Pixel Crushers Also/Variable Viewer", false, -1)]
    Does it show up?

If so, change it to:

Code (csharp):
    1. [MenuItem("Tools/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/More Tools/Variable Viewer", false, -1)]
    If the first change appears but the second doesn't, there might be a bug in Unity 2023 on your OS that prevents menus of a certain depth from appearing.

If the second change also appears, there might be a bug in Unity 2023 on your OS that doesn't handle Tools menus nested inside Tools menus.

3. BACALL

BACALL

Using macOS Sonoma,

Appears:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [MenuItem("Tools/Variable Viewer", false, -1)]
    Doesn't appear:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [MenuItem("Tools/WHATEVER I PUT HERE/Variable Viewer", false, -1)]
    Yeah seems like there's a bug with unitys sub menus. Interesting though why other sub menus show up in the Dialogue System? e.g. Welcome Window or Help etc.

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Would you please report this to Unity? (Menu item Window > Report a Bug...) I'll do the same.

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System 2.2.44 Released

Version 2.2.44 is now available on the Asset Store!

Release Notes:
    Core:
    • Added: Basic Standard Dialogue UI prefab version preconfigured for TextMesh Pro.
    • Improved: At runtime, right-clicking node and selecting Play From Here... while conversation is active jumps conversation to that node.
    • Improved: Can now assign an override dialogue UI to Dialogue System Trigger component or DialogueManager.StartConversation() method for specific conversation.
    • Improved: Implemented [picc=#] markup tag to change listener's portrait image.
    • Improved: Added Language.Lua.Assignment.MonitoredVariables/VariableChanged C# event for efficient variable monitoring.
    • Improved: Exposed DialogueManager.SetContinueMode() method.
    • Fixed: SetPanel() with immediate keyword tells new panel to focus if it's for the current speaker.
    • Fixed: Dialogue System Trigger error when saving bark-configured trigger that hadn't barked yet.
    • Fixed: Fade(stay,0) now goes black immediately.
    • Fixed: In Unity 2022.3, UILocalizationManager with Also Update Inactive GameObjects now leaves prefabs untouched.
    • Fixed: NullReferenceException if using PersistentDataManager to save Dialogue System Trigger with Bark action that hasn't barked yet.
    • Fixed: Scene Transition Manager now delays enter scene trigger until after scene has completed its Awake/OnEnable initialization.
    • Fixed: When response menu's Autonumber > Alpha Keys and Numpad Keys were both ticked, response buttons would accumulate too many UIButtonKeyTrigger components.
    • Save System: Spawned Object Manager can now restore saved data to respawned objects even when Frames To Wait is zero; restoring savers on respawned objects is now on by default.
    • Input System: Fixed "any key" and mouse buttons reading isPressed instead of wasPressedThisFrame.
    Third Party Support:
    • Articy: Fixed math.random() translation in articy:expresso; fixed condition handling when condition contains extraneous semicolon; added support for Conditions field.
    • Ink: Added corrections to Ink list handling.
    • Lively Chat Bubbles: Added support for different Visibility options.
    • RPG Builder: Fixed issue with rpgPlayCombatEffect() when player hasn't targeted anything.
    • uSurvival: Updated for 1.86.
    • Yarn 2: Importer now prints warnings if jump destinations are undefined.

BACALL likes this.
  6. TonyLi

TonyLi

Flash Deal - Dialogue System Addon for OpenAI - 70% Off

The Dialogue System Addon for OpenAI is 70% off for a very limited time in the Asset Store's Flash Deals sale.

upload_2024-3-13_14-29-5.png

Mark_01 and BACALL like this.
  7. BACALL

BACALL

Okay thank you! I've reported it now

TonyLi likes this.
  8. TonyLi

TonyLi

Mark_01 likes this.
  9. SOL3BREAKER

SOL3BREAKER

How do I enable response menu for multiple characters? I have several main characters, so they all should be PC or actor, some of them may use response in one dialogue. And it's useful for showing multiple quests by using branch menu for npc.

And if I have one actor node, and another one conversant node as children of a node, it would ignore the actor node.

10. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! The rules are:
    1. If a given node links to NPC nodes (i.e., assigned to an actor whose Is Player checkbox is UNticked), the conversation will always use the NPC node:
      upload_2024-3-20_9-51-48.png
    2. If the node links only to 2+ PC nodes (actors whose Is Player checkboxes are ticked), it will show a response menu:
      upload_2024-3-20_9-53-4.png
    3. If the node links to 1 PC node, it will show a response menu if the Dialogue Manager's Input Settings > Always Force Response is ticked. Otherwise it may show it as a subtitle.
      upload_2024-3-20_9-54-18.png
      See How To: Bypass Response Menu When Player Has One Choice for more details.
    With response menus, you can assign different player actors:

upload_2024-3-20_9-56-33.png

By default, if your response menu shows an actor portrait image, it will use the portrait of the conversation actor (e.g., assigned to Dialogue System Trigger's Conversation Actor field). However, if you tick the dialogue UI's Use First Player Actor Portrait checkbox, it will use the portrait of the actor assigned to the first response node instead.

11. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@TonyLi Hey, so I'm trying to get SALSA working with your asset. I followed your video tutorial but I'm still having issues.

On my character that setup for SALSA, I included "Usable" and "Dialogue System Trigger", referencing the conversation with Trigger: On Use. The audio file is in the Resources folder. On the conversational node that should trigger the audio, under Sequence I have "SALSA(ElevenLabs-Promo);" which is my audio file.

That plays the audio file, but it's not having the lip sync animation play. I know the lipsync works if I add the audio file to the SALSA character and click the "play" button under SALSA > Reference > Audio Source.

What am I missing? Thanks.

12. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! Make sure the GameObject with the SALSA component(s) is being used as the speaker for this dialogue entry. Please see Character GameObject Assignments.

13. oekose43

oekose43

When is the next sale for Dialogue System For Unity?

14. oekose43

oekose43

Also how much will the new price be after the discount?

15. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! Unity controls the timing and discounts of sales. Keep an eye on the Asset Store for upcoming sales.

16. halley

halley

TonyLi,

What are some options here for a custom Actor that doesn't use the shared Dialogue UI, and doesn't use the world-space Bark?

After reviewing what links exist in Dialogue Actor, and the documentation on "Subtitle Panel Number", it seems like all actors share the same CanvasDialogueUI prefab, linked in the Dialogue System Controller as "Dialogue UI". I can see how to use the actor-specific subtitle UI prefabs, but that is a child of the overall arrangement and frame graphics.

In my game, any face-to-face communication is working with this arrangement just fine, using my customized Standard Dialogue UI layout and graphics. But one key actor only communicates through a radio, so I want a completely different feel to the interaction-- it's more like a Bark in that it's a one-sided conversation with no reply choices, but it should be on the Overlay Canvas at a fixed position, pausing the Time.timeScale, and waiting for the continue button, like full dialogue.

17. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! Add an Override Dialogue UI component to the radio actor's GameObject and assign a different dialogue UI. Make sure the radio actor uses this GameObject. (See Character GameObject Assignments.)

Side note: If you want to use a world space UI (such as an overhead speech bubble) for some actor, add an Override Dialogue UI and a Dialogue Actor. Assign a world space subtitle panel to the Dialogue Actor's Custom Subtitle Panel field. Assign the Basic Standard Dialogue UI prefab (or an instance in a canvas in the radio actor's scene) to the Override Dialogue UI. The Basic Standard Dialogue UI doesn't have any extra framing UI elements, so only the world space subtitle panel will be visible.

18. halley

halley

I swear I looked up and down the TOC of the docs, and don't know why I missed that. I got it working in just a couple minutes. Thanks again!

Once I saw Override Display Settings in the list of things I overlooked, I tried that too, to see what was different. As you probably suspected, I didn't need it, it was overkill in my case. But I noticed that while the Override Display Settings class has an override UI field, it would destroy the runtime duplicate of the prefab asset after the first conversation, falling back to the global default UI on the second conversation. That is, Override Display Settings was lacking the "Don't Destroy" flag that Override Dialogue UI has.

19. TonyLi

TonyLi

Side note: Very often you can just override the conversation's display settings without having to use an Override Display Settings component:

upload_2024-3-24_14-39-30.png

20. TonyLi

TonyLi

Suzerain: Kingdom of Rizia Released

Congratulations to Fellow Traveller and Torpor Games on the release of Suzerain: Kingdom of Rizia, the first DLC for Torpor's award-winning game Suzerain, made with the Dialogue System for Unity!

(They did a great job on the trailer, too!)

21. Mark_01

Mark_01

@TonyLi Hi, I have been a long time fan of your assets ( I have most of them ) :) SO I might be asking you for some help, I hope it can be ( off forum )

For now I just need your opinion, I am not going to make a game as such.. But I need
    3 of your assets only [ In the project ] ( i think ) and am wondering, which version of Unity you suggest, because as far as coded assets go, the only real codded assets I have planed are your ( and maybe some that are integrated ) I have been away form Unity for a very long time.. I know the rtfm thing ;-) and agree .. But I am intending to be using the open AI plug-in and not the huge dialogue trees ..

these are the main assets I want to use.. are Dialogue System for Unity, Dialogue System Addon for OpenAI , and Love/Hate << the main 3 and I am thinking as I understand, the reason I want to hook in Love\hate, is because,even tho it will hopefully be kind of " UN-scripted " dialogue .. ( like people discuss a topic ) But also, the Npc's all will have their own personalities and " story " , but I would like to give them the ability to " remember " and maybe slowly change their views , as they grow. So I am hoping\asking if love\hate can do this .. even just to make it more simple to " update " characters thoughts and feelings .. one thing IDK if possible, the love\hate module, would also be nice if it kept track of changes so that an avatar could look back and say why or acknowledge they have change their mind in some way ?

My main question now is.. which unity version would you suggest for these 3 assets together ?
    Quick second question .. I got Grid Controller from the humble bundle , I assume that just works with the other assets ? Thanks for all your help, to that you give every one ;-)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  22. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! Thanks for picking up Grid Controller, too! It works fine with the other assets. It doesn't have any specific integration, but I don't think any is needed.

I recommend using the current LTS version (Unity 2022.3.x). Love/Hate integrates pretty well with the Dialogue System Addon for OpenAI, so those 3 assets should be able to handle everything you described.

Mark_01 likes this.
  23. Mark_01

Mark_01

Okay thx ;-) I am kind of private by nature, social anxiety too ;( I really do not like asking for help and I hate discord .. IF* I run into a non-rtfm problem XD , I hope I can write you at email or here on the email system.. In any case, thank you for the help .. I will probably go with what ever highest LTS version after 2022.3 there is .. thx a lot!

TonyLi likes this.
  24. TonyLi

TonyLi

Glad to help! There are several ways to contact for help in addition to Discord: this forum thread, the Pixel Crushers forum, the support form, and email if any questions come up.

Mark_01 likes this.
  25. Mark_01

Mark_01

Turns out the only version of Unity I had on my HD was Unity 2022.3.10f1 Sooo, just just loaded the 4 assets ( grid, love\hate and the dialogue with adon as I will be using that more ) ... Unity did not complain:D So hoping this works out good. Thanks for your help\understanding. :)

TonyLi likes this.
  26. oekose43

oekose43

I heard you guys have a discord. How can I join?

27. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! The link is in the Dialogue System's README.txt file.

28. TonyLi

TonyLi

BIOMORPH Released on Steam

Congratulations to Lucid Dreams Studio on the release of their hotly-anticipated metroidvania BIOMORPH, made with the Dialogue System for Unity and now available on Steam!

Mark_01 likes this.
  29. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System 2.2.45 Released

Version 2.2.45 is now live on the Asset Store! This update includes integration with Compass Navigator Pro 2 as well as updates to other integrations, bug fixes, and misc. improvements.

Release Notes:
    Core:
    • Improved: Added Allow Custom Actor Panels checkbox to Standard Dialogue UI component.
    • Improved: Exposed Dialogue System Trigger > Stop Conversation On Trigger Exit > Margin To Allow Trigger Exit to inspector.
    • Improved: Standard Dialogue UI's allowDialogueActorCustomPanels now applies to menu panels in addition to subtitle panels.
    • Improved: Added StandardDialogueUI.ShowActorInPanel() method.
    • Fixed: SetPanel(actor, panel, immediate) now initializes portraits even if actor wasn't previously in another panel.
    • Fixed: Assignment.VariableChanged() event is now called after variable has been changed to new value.
    • Fixed: StandardUISubtitleControls.SetTypewriterSpeed() didn't set speed.
    • Fixed: StandardUISubtitlePanel > Add Speaker Name was added to display but not recorded in accumulatedText.
    • Fixed: Added "Main" checkboxes to Item and Location templates in Dialogue Editor.
    Third Party Support:
    • Adventure Creator: Updated for 1.80 and AC's new asmdefs.
    • Arcweave: Fixed build issue.
    • articy:draft: Updated articy 3.x localization importer addon with some bug fixes.
    • Compass Navigator Pro 2: Added integration.
    • RPG Builder: Now sets player's Display Name field so you can use that instead of rpgGetPlayerName() if you prefer.

BIOMORPH, which is made with the Dialogue System for Unity and released a few days ago, is getting great reviews and is Very Positive rated on Steam. The developer, Lucid Dreams Studio, wrote a very nice testimonial:

30. TonyLi

TonyLi

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  31. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hello Tony, I have a question about how text localization works. Sometimes it deletes the translation when going to the string table (as in the photo above) or it does not add the translations.

2. is it possible to correct this? (photo)

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  32. TonyLi

TonyLi

With the Unity Localization Package integration, when you click "Dialogue System To String Table" it assigns unique GUIDs to each dialogue entry:

upload_2024-4-12_20-48-48.png

Then it creates corresponding keys in your Localization Package String Table:

upload_2024-4-12_20-49-36.png

If you change the key in the String Table or change the Guid in the dialogue entry (such as creating a new dialogue entry to replace the old one), they won't match any more. Is it possible that this happened in your situation?

Please see: How To: Make World Space Canvas Appear On Top Of Everything Else

claudius_I likes this.
  33. claudius_I

claudius_I

Thanks Tony.

I put a english translation in Dialogue System, but don't appear in the text table when pressed the button (dialogue to text table) (the key and value is the same in Dialogue and text table)
    I need to add the translation only in the text table?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  34. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! Translations are meant to go the other way. The Dialogue System To String Table button creates keys in the Localization Package string table. Then you add translations in the Localization Package string table. Finally, you click the String Table To Dialogue System button to copy the translations back into the dialogue database.

I'll look into adding an option in the near future to also copy translations from the dialogue database into the Localization Package string table.

claudius_I likes this.
  35. claudius_I

claudius_I

Thanks, Tony.
    I have one last question. Sorry for asking so many questions.
    In my game, you can change the name of the protagonist (the localized name), but I can't get the new name to appear in the dialogues.
    I tried using

DialogueLua.SetActorField("Protagonist", "Display Name", ParametrosEntreJuegos.instancia.nameP);

, but I think it still loads the localized name for the protagonist. Is there a method to achieve this?

*********************Update***************************

I used
    DialogueLua.SetLocalizedActorField("Protagonista", "Display Name", ParametrosEntreJuegos.instancia.nameP);

and worked :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  36. TonyLi

TonyLi

While a conversation is active, if you only change the Display Name field the name will take effect in the next conversation. This is because the conversation caches the Display Name at the beginning of the conversation so it doesn't have to look it up every time. To change the name in the current conversation and see it updated immediately, use the ChangeActorName() function instead. See the "Discover Name" example on the Dialogue System Extras page for an example.

claudius_I likes this.
  37. TonyLi

TonyLi

Arcweave Demo Reel Call & Humble Pixel Paradise Sale

upload_2024-4-18_16-18-21.png

In addition to the Dialogue System's own built-in Dialogue Editor, the Dialogue System can import your content from many sources, including articy:draft, Celtx Gem, Chat Mapper, Yarn Spinner, and more -- including Arcweave. If you're using Arcweave to write your game's dialogue, they're having an open call for their very first demo reel.
    Email elle (at) arcweave.com if you want your game included in the demo reel!

upload_2024-4-18_16-19-36.png

Many Dialogue System-powered games are in Humble's latest Pixel Paradise sale, including Hunt the Night, While the Iron's Hot and others!

Reminders:
    • The Dialogue System Addon for OpenAI (and ElevenLabs, Overtone, etc.) is 50% off right now in the Spring Sale!

• If you want to add procedurally-generated quests to your game or write quests in a nice node-based edit, Quest Machine is also 50% off right now. Quest Machine of course has thorough Dialogue System integration.

38. TonyLi

TonyLi

I forgot to mention that, if you're a Dialogue System user, you can use the code CRUSH20 on Arcweave paid subscription plans to get 20% off!

39. kevinluvsyou

kevinluvsyou

Hello there! I'm working through your video tutorial series and when I came to the Conversation Templates video, I realized that my Conversations menu doesn't have a Template or a Play option. Did I do something to remove those menu options somewhere along the line? Attached a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

40. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! Can you update to a more recent version? I can't see the full version number in your screenshot, but it looks like you're using an old version that doesn't have either of those features.

41. kevinluvsyou

kevinluvsyou

Ah! You nailed it. Thank you so much!

42. TonyLi

TonyLi

Glad to help!

43. TonyLi

TonyLi

Flash Deal - 70% Off Dialogue System for Unity

The Dialogue System for Unity is 70% off for the next 24 hours in the Asset Store's Flash Deal!

Some of the games you can find the Dialogue System in:

upload_2024-4-25_11-7-58.png

The Dialogue System Addon for OpenAI is also 50% off right now. It makes a great companion when you're feeling writer's block or want to quickly prototype some dialogue or fix spelling and grammar!

Quest Machine is also 50% off and has full integration with the Dialogue System if you want to write your quests in a nice node-based editor and/or have Quest Machine procedurally generate quests at runtime based on the current game world state.

44. TonyLi

TonyLi

45. TonyLi

TonyLi

Flash Deal Final 3 Hours - 70% Off

There are less than 3 hours to get the Dialogue System for Unity for 70% off in the Asset Store's Flash Deal.

If you missed the Flash Deal, not to worry! You can still get the Dialogue System for a whopping 50% off in the Spring Sale.

And if you're looking to add even more capability to the Dialogue System, you can get the Dialogue System Addon for OpenAI, ElevenLabs, And Other Generative AI for 50% off in the Spring Sale, too. Use it to generate voice acting, fix spelling and grammar, translate your text, and even write conversations and barks for you.

46. TonyLi

TonyLi

Dialogue System-Powered Games News

There's lots of Dialogue System news this week! The Dialogue System for Unity, Dialogue System Addon for OpenAI, ElevenLabs and Other Generative AI, and Quest Machine are all on sale for 50% off.

These Dialogue System-powered games have big news, too:

Let Bions Be Bygones Released
    Congratulations to Bohemian Pulp on the release of Let Bions Be Bygones, made with the Dialogue System for Unity! 70,000+ words of dialogue, all fully voice acted!

BIOMORPH Game Rant Interview
    Check out Game Rant's interview with Lucid Dreams Studio, the developers of BIOMORPH, made with the Dialogue System for Unity.

upload_2024-4-30_15-23-58.png

Deathbulge Is Rock Paper Shotgun's Game Club Pick for May

Rock Paper Shotgun has selected Five Houses' Deathbulge: Battle of the Bands for the RPS Game Club Pick of the Month.

47. TonyLi

TonyLi

Reminder - The Dialogue System for Unity, used in hundreds of games (and maybe in yours, too!) is 50% off in the Spring Sale. The Addon for OpenAI, ElevenLabs, and Other Generative AI is also 50% off. You can use it to generate conversations and barks (great for quick prototyping), fix spelling & grammar, generate voice acting, and more.

Get the Dialogue System for Unity and Addon for Generative AI

48. a2884350

a2884350

Hi.
    I'm using this plugin to create diary-like text, and since I couldn't find a suitable template to use, I opted for the Bark UI. However, I've encountered an issue: my requirement is to append text rather than replace it. I haven't found a parameter that can fulfill this requirement, so I tried adding a bool parameter to each dialogue line, indicating whether it's in append mode or not. In which files do I need to make these modifications?

49. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi! You never need to directly modify any Dialogue System files. If you ever think you need to modify files, please ask here or on the Pixel Crushers forum so I can point you to the right way to use an event hook or an inspector option.

If you want to append text in a subtitle panel, tick the subtitle panel's Accumulate Text checkbox. See the Scrolling Dialogue UI or WRPG Dialogue UI templates for examples. If that's not what you're looking for, please post a mock-up image of what you'd like to see.

50. a2884350

a2884350

"Thank you for your patient response. To be precise, what I need is not dialogue, but a narrative like summarizing daily activities in a structured diary format. For example,

on the first day:
    breakfast at 9:00,
    lunch at 14:00,
    dinner at 18:00.
    ---
    On the second day:
    lunch at 10:00,
    dinner at 19:00.
    ---
    On the third day:
    lunch at 15:00,
    ---
    In the dialogue configuration, I hope to set up three dialogues for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and dynamically concatenate them into a complete narrative based on data source conditions. I don't need buttons and back-and-forth dialogue. While the WPRG template can accumulate text, it requires clicking buttons and engaging in dialogue back and forth."