Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Release] SlimNet Public Alpha (Free)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by fholm, Nov 9, 2011.

1. sebako

sebako

that looks amazing :) will take a look at it next week :)

2. hjupter

hjupter

Interesting, i want to try this out when is done... keep up the good work :)

3. Tomo-Games

Tomo-Games

While it's certainly nice to see more new videos, has there been any update to the above ? I have been waiting to try this out for my Mac since the start of this (awesome) project. Could you split the game demo from the main core perhaps?

4. fholm

fholm

They are already separate projects, the problem is that there is little to tell you how to use it until I have a proper demo + proper manual.

I think it would be confusing.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Due to this I would favor something like MongoDB which is DB but NOSQL DB, not SQL syntax battling.

6. hesa2020

hesa2020

I will suggest SQL.
    Why ?
    First : if you want to create and manage account from a website.
    Second : SQL its really easy its one of the first thing i learned when i used a pre-made server for "World of warcraft" private server , yea i know what u think =D
    Third : Most of programmer use SQL

++
    i just found this project , looks very interessing i am gonna follow it , im so impatient to see a final version

7. siliwangi

siliwangi

I've been active before since wad with his infamous wowemu, nice time :). About no-sql for multiplayer games.

I don't want to start sql vs no-sql debate, but it's about my own architecture design needs. Anyway good enough, i will implement it myself anyway once slimnet got matured.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  8. fholm

fholm

My vote (and since it's the only vote that counts ;p) still falls on flat file due to the amount of work required to get the SQL version to work on all platforms the server should run at.

9. siliwangi

siliwangi

Lol understandable of course, even erlang also using general concept of flat file database, thanks again for providing slimnet! :).

10. fholm

fholm

0.2B is closing in fast, expect a release tomorrow or saturday. 0.2B will still be freely available, so no purchase is required. Here is the license that it will be released under:

Code (csharp):
    1. /*
    2.  * SlimNet - Networking Middleware For Games
    3.  * Copyright (C) 2011-2012 Fredrik Holmström
    4.  *
    5.  * This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
    6.  * warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
    7.  * arising from the use of this software.
    8.  *
    9.  * Attribution
    10.  * The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
    11.  * claim that you wrote the original software. For any works using this
    12.  * software, reasonable acknowledgment is required.
    13.  *
    14.  * Noncommercial
    15.  * You may not use this software for commercial purposes.
    16.  *
    17.  * Distribution
    18.  * You are free to share, copy and distribute the software in it's original,
    19.  * unmodified form. You are not allowed to distribute or make publicly
    20.  * available the software itself or it's sources in any modified manner.
    21.  * This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
    22.  */

11. Zhosay

Zhosay

Nice looking forward too it.

12. fholm

fholm

Preview of the demo in 0.2, I simplified it a lot and there is no accounts/characters atm. But it shows more interesting stuff of how to implement spells, targets, name plates, etc.

0.2 will come out later today.

13. Zhosay

Zhosay

Best news today :) is the old demo out? As it was more interesting for me I guess the new has no lobbys etc or?

14. fholm

fholm

The "old" demo will come, it just takes longer to build it with all the menus, persistence, etc. So I figured instead of sitting on 0.2 for 2-3 weeks while building the "real" demo I could release it with a simpler demo and let you guys play around with it.

15. Zhosay

Zhosay

No no I dont mean the rpg with accounts etc. I meant the demo from the alpha the moba like lobby game, are you updating that too? Or is it easy self update able.

And you want the feedback/bugs etc to the server then here or you have a own forum for it?

good job you are doing there.

16. fholm

fholm

Oh, the MOBA game demo will not be back, sorry :) Not a lot of people were interested in it (RPG and FPS demos is what most people are after).

I'll give instructions on bug reports, feedback, etc. in the post which contains the 0.2 release.

17. lockbox

lockbox

Looks like you've done a lot of really good work here. The fact that it is going open-source is icing on the cake!

I have some questions, but you don't have to answer them now.

1. Have the installation options changed such that it can be installed in any directory?

2. Have any load/performance tests been done with real-world clients and the demo game? I would certainly be willing to help with this!

3. Have you tried setting up a complex scene with a large number of autonomous bots running around (path finding) killing each other and respawning? I'm thinking two teams, red vs blue style, with an increasing number of bots per a specific time interval. For #2 above, you could create a webplayer that instantiates the bots for a specific team and then everyone just has to load the webpage to help with this test - and you could keep the server running 24x7 to check for memory leaks and other server issues.

4. Are there any built-in statistics gathering or troubleshooting functions that can be utilized to debug performance/connectivity on the client and server? i.e. total packets sent/received per client, lag, average ping.

5. How are time synchronization issues addressed?

Thanks!

18. fholm

fholm

lockbox

First I would point to the thread for the new, 0.2, release: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/123983-Released-SlimNet-0.2-Beta
    But to answer your questions:

1. I'm working on that for the 0.2.1 release, scheduled in a week or so
    2. The demo has changed a lot in the new 0.2 release. But, I know of one team that is building a small scale "MMO" game, and they did initial test with I think 64 players in one zone without any problems (<5% CPU)
    3. The largest test I did was having 1024 * 2 teams of bots running around, CPU wise the server was fine.
    4. That is comming in 0.2.1 or maybe 0.2.2
    5. What exact issues are you talking about? It's very game dependent how you handle the time-desync between the client and the server. There is a local clock called GameTime on clients and the server that is kept in sync as best as possible (using offset from server time and smoothing the input using a leaky integrator).

19. lockbox

lockbox

Thanks for answering my questions.

20. JanHelleman

JanHelleman

Are you using mono to develop this? Cause it would be a hell of a thing to be able to be running from console in linux or from a mac for example. Better start thinking about such things now than when your code is even bigger ;-)

21. fholm

fholm

The next version that im putting out (0.2.1) runs on windows, linux and osx. Expect it next week.

22. Fishypants

Fishypants

Hmmm somehow I missed this thread entirely! Awesome work so far, I am going to keep my eye on this. Subscribing!

23. fholm

fholm