Search Unity

Question Recording Video within the Oculus Quest

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by lior_s99, May 22, 2020.

1. lior_s99

lior_s99

I'm working on a VR application for the Quest that one of its features is to be able to record yourself from a camera. I have tried some assets like VR capture (by RockVR), but they only work on certain platforms such as Windows or macOS. I have also tried capturing frames and then converting them to a .gif or .mp4 file but that also requires a platform-specific library. Does anyone have a solution?

2. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hi @lior_s99

you will always have cross-platform headaches with in-game recordings because the support of codecs is not universal across all operating systems and hardware. MP4 is the most supported so maybe it works on every single device (but I have no experience recording video inside a Nintendo or PS4 game).

Have you thought of scripting a Recorder Controller using Unity Recorder? See this thread.

I assume you're trying to do something like record a regular 2D (not 360) video of the VR pawn, as if the avatar were taking a selfie. In this case, position your camera in the scene and use the above thread as a tip to start recording.

Cheers

** EDIT: just realized that Unity Recorder does not work (yet) in standalone builds, so this might not be the right solution for you.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  3. AneebaKhalid

AneebaKhalid

Hi,
    I am also doing a similar kind of project.. I found motion recorder here

This works for me it actually work as a recorder. But I am having issues with the saving the audio file.
    If you know any solution let me know...

Thanks.