Search Unity

Video Control Unity Recorder from Script

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by EmmetOT, Mar 5, 2020.

1. EmmetOT

EmmetOT

I just want to get some simple information about the Unity Recorder in my scripts, such as whether it's recording or not, what the target framerate is, etc. I can see there's an API but there's no information about where to get the 'current' recorder.

2. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hi,

if you want to know what's going on with the Recorder window, there is no public API for this.

If you are using a timeline with a playable director and a recorder clip, here is how to get its info (the FPS is set by the timeline, and there is no way of knowing if the playhead is inside the clip):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GameObject go = GameObject.Find("TimelinePlaceholder");
    2. PlayableDirector dir = go.GetComponent<PlayableDirector>();
    3. TimelineAsset timeline = dir.playableAsset as TimelineAsset;
    4. float fps = timeline.editorSettings.fps;
    5. RecorderTrack recorderTrack = timeline.GetRootTrack(0) as RecorderTrack;
    6. var recorderClip = recorderTrack.GetClips().ToList()[0].asset as RecorderClip;
    7. var outputFile = recorderClip.settings.OutputFile;
    8. Debug.Log(string.Format("Timeline '{0}' track '{1}' clip '{2}' recording to file {3}.mp4 @ FPS={4}", timeline.name, recorderTrack.name, recorderClip.name, outputFile, fps));
    I think your best bet would be to instantiate the recorder yourself via scripting, so that you have more control over what happens and the timing:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var controllerSettings = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<RecorderControllerSettings>();
    2. var TestRecorderController = new RecorderController(controllerSettings);
    4. var videoRecorder = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<MovieRecorderSettings>();
    5. videoRecorder.name = "My Video Recorder";
    6. videoRecorder.Enabled = true;
    7. videoRecorder.VideoBitRateMode = VideoBitrateMode.High;
    9. videoRecorder.ImageInputSettings = new GameViewInputSettings
    10. {
    11.     OutputWidth = 640,
    12.     OutputHeight = 480
    13. };
    15. videoRecorder.AudioInputSettings.PreserveAudio = true;
    16. //videoRecorder.OutputFile; // Change this to change the output file name (no extension)
    18. controllerSettings.AddRecorderSettings(videoRecorder);
    19. controllerSettings.SetRecordModeToFrameInterval(0, 59); // 2s @ 30 FPS
    20. controllerSettings.FrameRate = 30;
    22. RecorderOptions.VerboseMode = false;
    23. TestRecorderController.PrepareRecording();
    24. TestRecorderController.StartRecording();
    26. // Wait a while
    If you start the recorder this way, make sure you wait a few frames after the expected end of the recording in case there are GPU readbacks pending.

I hope this answers your question.

Best regards,
    Bruno

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Deleted User, Ideator, crekri and 7 others like this.
  3. RebelNature_Daniel

RebelNature_Daniel

Hi EmmetOT

I just stumbled across your post looking for another issue, but I was looking at the same info you are looking for now a while back, and I came up with this solution.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor.Recorder;
    3. private RecorderWindow GetRecorderWindow()
    4.         {
    5.             return (RecorderWindow)EditorWindow.GetWindow(typeof(RecorderWindow));
    6.         }
    This code snippet will retrieve the Recorderwindow for you, from here you can access all sorts of things, like Start/Stop Recording and all sorts of really cool stuff. The only drawback is that the Recorder window pops up when you do.
    I use this for instance when I wanna start recording:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.                     RecorderWindow recorderWindow = GetRecorderWindow();
    2.                     if(!recorderWindow.IsRecording())
    3.                         recorderWindow.StartRecording();
    or when I want to stop recording:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             RecorderWindow recorderWindow = GetRecorderWindow();
    2.             if (recorderWindow.IsRecording())
    3.                 recorderWindow.StopRecording();
    I also manage the recorders in the recorder, where they save to, fileNames etc.

Hope it helps!
    -Daniel

Zhaohw, eugeneloza, st-VALVe and 13 others like this.
  4. Yuvix25

Yuvix25

RebelNature_Daniel

Can you send the code that you use to manage the recorders in the recorder?

5. ufo_zj

ufo_zj

Hi Bruno,
    I have tried with your code, but it always came up with an error:
    ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: source
    System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source) (at <fbb5ed17eb6e46c680000f8910ebb50c>:0)
    UnityEditor.Recorder.RecorderController.StartRecording () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.recorder@2.2.0-preview.4/Editor/Sources/RecorderController.cs:133)

Can you help me with this?

Kind regards,
    Jun

6. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hi Jun!

Sorry for the delay. I just tried it and reproduced your issue. I forgot to add this line before the call to StartRecording:

Code (CSharp):
    1. TestRecorderController.PrepareRecording();
    Let me know how this goes. I'll update my original reply as well.

Have a great weekend,
    Bruno

7. ufo_zj

ufo_zj

Thanks Bruno, this is working well right now. I should go through the RecorderController.cs before asking you.:rolleyes:

unitybru likes this.
  8. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

HI, there is a way to set the path of the file?

because if i not configure the recorder window to .mp4 BEFORE the script it simply do anything

9. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Yes, in the code I put above, you can set the name of the output file without the extension.
    Something like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. videoRecorder.OutputFile = "C:\\SomeFolder\\MyOutputFileWithNoExtension";

Ikaro88 likes this.
  10. fct509

fct509

Any advise on image capture with the Unity Recorder via scripting. I tried to alter this example and I used "C:/temp/img_b_<frame>" for the value passed to OutputFile, but it just created single image file named "C:/temp/img_b_frame.png" and kept overwriting the image each time it captured a new frame.

Edit:
    I figured it out.
    I have to grab the FileNameGenerator of the RecorderSettings that we are using and call the AddWildcard(). This method takes two parameters. It take the name of the wildcard and a lambda expression (with a RecordingSession parameter) that returns/generates the sting that I want to replace "<frame>" with.

_recorderSettings.FileNameGenerator.AddWildcard("frame", (sess) => { return sess.frameIndex.ToString(); });

I'm going to have to add some 0 padding to the numbers to keep things clean for my Users, but that code isn't needed for answering the question that I had.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  11. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Here is some code that works without you having to resolve the wildcards yourself:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class TestImageSequence : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     RecorderController m_RecorderController;
    5.     void OnEnable()
    6.     {
    7.         var controllerSettings = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<RecorderControllerSettings>();
    8.         m_RecorderController = new RecorderController(controllerSettings);
    10.         // Image sequence
    11.         var imageRecorder = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<ImageRecorderSettings>();
    12.         imageRecorder.name = "My Image Recorder";
    13.         imageRecorder.Enabled = true;
    14.         imageRecorder.OutputFormat = ImageRecorderSettings.ImageRecorderOutputFormat.PNG;
    15.         imageRecorder.CaptureAlpha = false;
    17.         var mediaOutputFolder = Path.Combine(Application.dataPath, "..", "SampleRecordings");
    18.         imageRecorder.OutputFile = Path.Combine(mediaOutputFolder, "image_") + DefaultWildcard.Frame;
    20.         imageRecorder.imageInputSettings = new GameViewInputSettings
    21.         {
    22.             OutputWidth = 3840,
    23.             OutputHeight = 2160,
    24.         };
    26.         // Setup Recording
    27.         controllerSettings.AddRecorderSettings(imageRecorder);
    28.         controllerSettings.SetRecordModeToFrameInterval(0, 10);
    29.         m_RecorderController.PrepareRecording();
    30.         m_RecorderController.StartRecording();
    31.     }
    32. }

fct509 likes this.
  12. fct509

fct509

Thanks. I was actually wondering about the correct usage of the DefaultWildcard. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to stick to resolving the wildcards myself because it gives my Users greater flexibility when setting the values of the automation that we're doing.

unitybru likes this.
  13. mmccall

mmccall

Hi Bruno
    I need to assign a RenderTexture that's generated at runtime as the Render Texture Asset for the capture source in the Recorder. I can get a handle to the recorder window but I can't use it to change the RenderTexture property

I tried using your code to instantiate a recorder at runtime but there's no UI associated with the object.. Can this be done? Or is there a way to change the UI input RenderTexture from script?

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Here's my code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class TestVideoCapture : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    3.     public RenderTexture renderTexture = null;
    4.     void Start()
    5.     {
    6.         Init();
    7.         RecorderWindow rw = GetRecorderWindow.Recorder();  // Open up the recorder window
    8.     }
    10.     void Init()
    11.     {
    12.         RecorderOptions.VerboseMode = true;
    14.         var controllerSettings = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<RecorderControllerSettings>();
    15.         var TestRecorderController = new RecorderController(controllerSettings);
    17.         var videoRecorder = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<MovieRecorderSettings>();
    18.         videoRecorder.name = "My Video Recorder";
    19.         videoRecorder.Enabled = true;
    21.         videoRecorder.ImageInputSettings = new RenderTextureInputSettings()
    22.         {
    23.             OutputWidth = renderTexture.width,
    24.             OutputHeight = renderTexture.height,
    25.             FlipFinalOutput = true,
    26.             RenderTexture = renderTexture
    27.         };
    29.         videoRecorder.AudioInputSettings.PreserveAudio = true;
    31.         controllerSettings.AddRecorderSettings(videoRecorder);
    32.         controllerSettings.SetRecordModeToFrameInterval(0, 59); // 2s @ 30 FPS
    33.         controllerSettings.FrameRate = 60;
    34.         TestRecorderController.PrepareRecording();
    35.     }
    37. }

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  14. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hi,

you shouldn't be trying to manipulate the Recorder Window in script. Instead, rely entirely on a scripted Recorder using a Recorder Controller. You have to think about Recorder Window and scripted Recorder Controller as two separate approaches. I modified your MonoBehaviour, see below. I think you forgot to start the Recording.
    In this example the Recording is started when entering Play Mode. You can also add a button to trigger it manually instead (see the CaptureScreenShotExample sample in the package).

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor.Recorder;
    2. using UnityEditor.Recorder.Input;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class TestVideoCapture : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     // You can change this variable from other places in your scripts, or manually using the GUI
    8.     public RenderTexture renderTexture = null;
    10.     // This function gets called when entering Play Mode. We configure the Recorder and start it.
    11.     private void OnEnable()
    12.     {
    13.         if (renderTexture == null)
    14.         {
    15.             Debug.LogError($"You must assign a valid renderTexture before entering Play Mode");
    16.             return;
    17.         }
    19.         RecorderOptions.VerboseMode = true;
    21.         var controllerSettings = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<RecorderControllerSettings>();
    22.         var TestRecorderController = new RecorderController(controllerSettings);
    24.         var videoRecorder = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<MovieRecorderSettings>();
    25.         videoRecorder.name = "My Video Recorder";
    26.         videoRecorder.Enabled = true;
    28.         videoRecorder.ImageInputSettings = new RenderTextureInputSettings()
    29.         {
    30.             OutputWidth = renderTexture.width,
    31.             OutputHeight = renderTexture.height,
    32.             FlipFinalOutput = true,
    33.             RenderTexture = renderTexture
    34.         };
    36.         videoRecorder.AudioInputSettings.PreserveAudio = true;
    38.         controllerSettings.AddRecorderSettings(videoRecorder);
    39.         controllerSettings.SetRecordModeToFrameInterval(0, 59); // 2s @ 30 FPS
    40.         controllerSettings.FrameRate = 60;
    41.         TestRecorderController.PrepareRecording();
    42.         TestRecorderController.StartRecording();
    43.     }
    44. }

15. ploink

ploink

Hi,

I am using this script to record a series of videos and save them to my HD. I set the name of the file with videoRecorder.OutputFile. It works, it save the files, they have the right length and they contain the audio, but the video is just black. Am I doing something wrong with the renderTexture?

Thanks!

Code (CSharp):
    1. void StartVideoRecording(int duration) {
    3.         renderTexture = new RenderTexture(1080 , 1920 , 16);
    4.         renderTexture.Create();
    6.         if (renderTexture == null) {
    7.             Debug.LogError($"You must assign a valid renderTexture before entering Play Mode");
    8.             return;
    9.         }
    11.         RecorderOptions.VerboseMode = true;
    13.         var controllerSettings = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<RecorderControllerSettings>();
    14.         var TestRecorderController = new RecorderController(controllerSettings);
    16.         var videoRecorder = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<MovieRecorderSettings>();
    17.         videoRecorder.name = "My Video Recorder";
    18.         videoRecorder.Enabled = true;
    19.         videoRecorder.OutputFile = "Recordings/PicTarot_" + currentCardId;
    20.         videoRecorder.OutputFormat = MovieRecorderSettings.VideoRecorderOutputFormat.MP4;
    22.         videoRecorder.ImageInputSettings = new RenderTextureInputSettings() {
    23.             OutputWidth = renderTexture.width ,
    24.             OutputHeight = renderTexture.height ,
    25.             FlipFinalOutput = true ,
    26.             RenderTexture = renderTexture
    27.         };
    29.         videoRecorder.AudioInputSettings.PreserveAudio = true;
    31.         controllerSettings.AddRecorderSettings(videoRecorder);
    32.         controllerSettings.SetRecordModeToFrameInterval(0 , duration * 30); // 2s @ 30 FPS
    33.         controllerSettings.FrameRate = 30;
    34.         TestRecorderController.PrepareRecording();
    35.         TestRecorderController.StartRecording();
    37.     }

16. cdauphin

cdauphin

Hello,

I'm also using a script to control the recorder and I face some issues.
    I'm using a CameraInputSettings to only record the necessary thing. When I use an output width and height of 2560*1440 everything works fine. But the movie is a bit stretched since our video format is 2560*1303 (there is a control bar of 137px height on the footer).

When I try to use this output height, the recorder does not works and throw an "ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'Encoder is disposed or invalid'."

Is there anything I should do with the recorder to make it accept non standard ratios ?

Thanks.

17. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Well, you need to write stuff to that RenderTexture if you want it to appear in the recording. Your script just initializes the RenderTexture and feeds it, blank, to the video recorder. Do you have a camera that you can use instead? Or the GameView as in my first post of this thread?

18. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

What output format are you using? MP4 does not support odd width or height. Unity Recorder should warn you about that.
    Try using another format, like ProRes.
    If you really want to have a final file without those extra 137px, do this in some video editing software OR use ffmpeg to crop.
    I'm curious about the exception because it shouldn't happen in normal usage. Do you have exact reproduction steps, including the version of Unity/the Recorder package?

19. ploink

ploink

Thanks! Yes, I have a camera. I had to dig a little but adding this worked for me then:

mainCamera.targetTexture = renderTexture;

So rather than using the camera output the camera is told to render to the renderTexture that's used for recording video. It's a bit counterintuitive to me, but it works! :)

unitybru likes this.
  20. YviKiwi

YviKiwi

Hello,
    I also wanted to ask something concerning the Unity Recorder. Is there a way to access the Codec Format of the Media File Format by Script? There are options for it in the Recorder Window (for MOV files), but I didn't find anything in the Scripting API.

Attached Files:

21. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately no, this is not exposed yet. The reason is that this is not a fully future-proof approach to supporting other encoders. We created internal properties that work for ProRes but didn't want to make it public because there is no way back after this. It is part of the Recorder API improvements that are in our pipeline.

The Media File Format is property
    Code (CSharp):
    1. int MovieRecorderSettings.encoderSelected
    , while Codec Format is
    Code (CSharp):
    1. int MovieRecorderSettings.encoderPresetSelected

ryanclark_unity and YviKiwi like this.
  22. Faiz_Belk

Faiz_Belk

Hello everyone, I wanted to record the depth textures with recorder , how can we do this?

23. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

You need an HDRP 7.3+ project and then use the AOV Recorder.
    upload_2021-5-3_10-9-52.png

24. ANILAYAZ

ANILAYAZ

I want to record alpha and exclude the background. For this to work I need to use a camera with special tag I guess because grabbing screen doesn't work with alpha as intended. How can I change the source of recorder via script and assign a camera there?

Code (CSharp):
    1.    private void SetRecWindowParameters(RecorderWindow _window)
    2.     {
    3.         var controllerSettings = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<RecorderControllerSettings>();
    4.         var TestRecorderController = new RecorderController(controllerSettings);
    6.         var imageRecorder = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<ImageRecorderSettings>();
    7.         imageRecorder.name = "SingleFrameRecorder";
    8.         imageRecorder.Enabled = true;
    9.         imageRecorder.CaptureAlpha = false;
    10.         imageRecorder.RecordMode = RecordMode.SingleFrame;
    11.         imageRecorder.OutputFormat = ImageRecorderSettings.ImageRecorderOutputFormat.PNG;
    12.         imageRecorder.OutputFile = "D:\\Recordings\\image_<Take>_<Frame>";      
    14.         imageRecorder.imageInputSettings = new GameViewInputSettings
    15.         {
    16.             OutputWidth = 512,
    17.             OutputHeight = 512
    18.         };
    19.         controllerSettings.SetRecordModeToFrameInterval(1,3);      
    20.         controllerSettings.AddRecorderSettings(imageRecorder);
    21.         controllerSettings.FrameRate = 30;
    23.         RecorderOptions.VerboseMode = false;
    24.         TestRecorderController.PrepareRecording();
    25.         TestRecorderController.StartRecording();
    27.     }

thank you

25. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

You need several things to record transparency:
    * an output format that supports transparency (PNG OK, you can't control ProRes via script yet)
    * a camera that sees transparency (NOT the GameView, but a Target Camera would work if properly configured)
    * configuring your Recorder Settings properly

Here is how to configure a camera that records the alpha channel (the tag is what you'll use in your Target
    upload_2021-5-11_10-23-49.png

Then to record transparency with this camera, do this
    Code (CSharp):
    1. imageRecorder.imageInputSettings = new CameraInputSettings
    2. {
    3.     Source = ImageSource.MainCamera,
    4.     OutputWidth = 512,
    5.     OutputHeight = 512,
    6.     RecordTransparency = true,
    7.     CaptureUI = false,
    8.     FlipFinalOutput = false
    9. };
    (the code can be modified to record a tagged camera with another tag)

ANILAYAZ likes this.
  26. ANILAYAZ

ANILAYAZ

Thank you very much for the help,
    these changes work pretty well if anyone needs later on:
    Use this function and it will return a series of screenshots with alpha from your camera with the 'Recorder' tag.

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void SetRecWindowParameters()
    2.     {
    3.         var controllerSettings = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<RecorderControllerSettings>();
    4.         var TestRecorderController = new RecorderController(controllerSettings);  
    6.         var imageRecorder = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<ImageRecorderSettings>();
    7.         imageRecorder.name = "SingleFrameRecorder";
    8.         imageRecorder.Enabled = true;
    9.         imageRecorder.CaptureAlpha = true;
    10.         imageRecorder.RecordMode = RecordMode.SingleFrame;
    11.         imageRecorder.OutputFormat = ImageRecorderSettings.ImageRecorderOutputFormat.PNG;
    12.         imageRecorder.OutputFile = "D:\\Recordings\\image_<Take>_<Frame>";
    14.         imageRecorder.imageInputSettings = new CameraInputSettings
    15.         {
    16.             Source = ImageSource.TaggedCamera,
    17.             RecordTransparency = true,
    18.             CaptureUI = false,
    19.             FlipFinalOutput = false,
    20.             OutputWidth = (int)_outputDimensions.x,
    21.             OutputHeight = (int)_outputDimensions.y,
    22.             CameraTag = "Recorder"
    23.         };
    26.         controllerSettings.SetRecordModeToFrameInterval(1,3);      
    27.         controllerSettings.AddRecorderSettings(imageRecorder);
    28.         controllerSettings.FrameRate = 30;
    30.         RecorderOptions.VerboseMode = false;
    31.         TestRecorderController.PrepareRecording();
    32.         TestRecorderController.StartRecording();
    34.     }

unitybru likes this.
  27. fct509

fct509

Hi,

I'm looking at the new (and more accessible) AOV API in Unity 2020.3, and I'm wondering how it works. For instance, it was mentioned that I can now do things like render/capture ObjectIDs, but the code sample that was provided is a bit lacking. It also mentioned that I can pass in Custom Passes, but when I looked at the part of the code for passing in Custom Passes, it was nothing but an array of (injection-point, render-target). Is this saying, run the Custom Passes that have the combinations of Injection-Point & Render-Target that are in the array?

I also noticed that in the sample code, the after render callback/event-handler is checking the count of textures. Are we able to capture multiple renders on the same camera within a single frame? There's documentation giving us a very terse explanations that are along the lines of "The AOVRequest is an AOVRequest". Which, is better than nothing, but not by much.

Where can I get more information on how to actually use this thing?

28. fct509

fct509

So, another question.

Is there a way to use the Recorder's simulation management (in Unity 2019.4 LTS) without having the Recorder record anything?

One of the things I noticed about the Unity Recorder (when combined with AOV) is that it doesn't capture negative values even when the output is EXR images. Yet, the Recorder is excellent at getting the camera and game simulation to run the same way across multiple runs. I guess what I'm asking is, how to we replace the render capture with our own capture?

29. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hi,

you're asking questions about HDRP in a thread regarding the Recorder package.
    I'll try to help but you will get better answers by posting in the right forum.

Here is a script that assigns colors to all objects in the scene:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using System;
    6. public class ObjectIDScript : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    8.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    9.     void Start()
    10.     {
    11.         var RendererList = Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll(typeof(Renderer));
    13.         System.Random rand = new System.Random(3);
    14.         float stratumSize = 1.0f / RendererList.Length;
    16.         int index = 0;
    17.         foreach (Renderer renderer in RendererList)
    18.         {
    19.             MaterialPropertyBlock propertyBlock = new MaterialPropertyBlock();
    20.             float hue = (float)rand.NextDouble(); // index * stratumSize + (float)rand.NextDouble() * stratumSize;
    21.             propertyBlock.SetColor("ObjectColor",  Color.HSVToRGB(hue, 0.7f, 1.0f));
    22.             renderer.SetPropertyBlock(propertyBlock);
    23.             index++;
    24.         }
    25.     }
    27.     // Update is called once per frame
    28.     void Update()
    29.     {
    31.     }
    32. }
    Here is a script that writes the AOV data to PNG files:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEngine.Rendering;
    5. using UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition;
    6. using UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.Attributes;
    8. public class AOVOutputCustomPass : MonoBehaviour
    9. {
    10.     public RenderTexture _outputTexture = null;
    11.     public bool _writeToDisk = false;
    12.     public CustomPassInjectionPoint _injectionPoint = CustomPassInjectionPoint.BeforePostProcess;
    14.     RTHandle _rt;
    15.     Texture2D m_ReadBackTexture;
    16.     int m_Frames = 0;
    18.     RTHandle RTAllocator(AOVBuffers bufferID)
    19.     {
    20.         return _rt ?? (_rt = RTHandles.Alloc(_outputTexture.width, _outputTexture.height));
    21.     }
    22.     void AovCallbackEx(
    23.         CommandBuffer cmd,
    24.         List<RTHandle> buffers,
    25.         List<RTHandle> customBuffers,
    26.         RenderOutputProperties outProps
    27.         )
    28.     {
    29.         if (_outputTexture == null)
    30.         {
    31.             return;
    32.         }
    34.         if (buffers.Count > 0)
    35.         {
    36.             cmd.Blit(buffers[0], _outputTexture);
    37.         }
    39.         if (customBuffers.Count > 0)
    40.         {
    41.             cmd.Blit(customBuffers[0], _outputTexture);
    42.             if (_writeToDisk)
    43.             {
    44.                 m_ReadBackTexture = m_ReadBackTexture ?? new Texture2D(_outputTexture.width, _outputTexture.height, TextureFormat.RGBAFloat, false);
    45.                 RenderTexture.active = customBuffers[0].rt;
    46.                 m_ReadBackTexture.ReadPixels(new Rect(0, 0, _outputTexture.width, _outputTexture.height), 0, 0, false);
    47.                 m_ReadBackTexture.Apply();
    48.                 RenderTexture.active = null;
    49.                 byte[] bytes = m_ReadBackTexture.EncodeToPNG();
    50.                 System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes($"output_{m_Frames++}.png", bytes);
    51.             }
    52.         }
    53.     }
    55.     AOVRequestDataCollection BuildAovRequest()
    56.     {
    57.         var aovRequest = AOVRequest.NewDefault();
    58.         CustomPassAOVBuffers[] customPassAovBuffers = null;
    59.         customPassAovBuffers = new[] { new CustomPassAOVBuffers(CustomPassInjectionPoint.BeforePostProcess, CustomPassAOVBuffers.OutputType.CustomPassBuffer) };
    61.         var bufAlloc = _rt ?? (_rt = RTHandles.Alloc(_outputTexture.width, _outputTexture.height));
    63.         return new AOVRequestBuilder().Add(
    64.             aovRequest,
    65.             RTAllocator,
    66.             null, // lightFilter
    67.             null,
    68.             customPassAovBuffers,
    69.             bufferId => bufAlloc,
    70.             AovCallbackEx
    71.         ).Build();
    72.     }
    74.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    75.     void Start()
    76.     {
    77.         GetComponent<HDAdditionalCameraData>().SetAOVRequests(BuildAovRequest());
    78.     }
    80.     // Update is called once per frame
    81.     void Update()
    82.     {
    84.     }
    85. }
    Assign them both to your HDRP project camera and create a RenderTexture for this to work.
    You'll get images like this in your project root. Hope this helps.
    upload_2021-5-17_16-29-29.png

30. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

You can't replace the Render Capture of the Recorder. What is your ultimate objective? To store negative AOVs?

31. fct509

fct509

Well, the ultimate objective is to extract any data the client wants and capture it, while repeating the simulation in a deterministic fashion, so that we can extract different data, allowing us augment the previous data-set while keeping all the data in sync because the simulation runs in a deterministic fashion. And, if the client wants to be able to extract a different kind of data, then we can just throw that bit of code in without have to re-write any of the previous code.

When I implemented a Custom Pass that displayed the Motion Vectors after post-processing, all the negative values were clamped to zero by the AOV Recorder. It is possible that post-processing did this, but how it did this to something that ran after post is beyond me. The first attempt to get around that was to 01 compress the motion vector values like we do for normals, but 16 bit floating point numbers only hold 11 bits of precision, so "(value / 2.0) + 0.5" causes most values to drop to zero at 120 frame per second.

A quick example, lets say that our register can only hold 4 digits:
    0.5 becomes 5.000 * 10^-1
    0.00001 becomes 1.000 * 10^-5
    0.5 + 0.00001 becomes 5.000 *10^-1 + 0.0001 * 10^-1, but we can only hold 4 digits, so the 1 gets dropped.
    0.5 + 0.00001 becomes 5.000*10^-1 + 0.000 * 10^-1
    Instead of getting 0.5001, we got 0.5.

That +0.5, was wiping out most of our motion vector data.

The next attempt around this was to just re-render (to a RenderTexture) at the spots the camera stops when the Recorder stops the camera to render, and it sort of worked. But, when we pulled the frame number from Time, it didn't match up with the frame number the recorder was stamping into the images. Also, we didn't have the time to check if the difference in frame number would be consistent across multiple machines. On the machine we tested this work around, the frame number in Time, was 4 frames larger than the one in the Recorder's output images from the same location.

We (well, I) built my code on top of managing the AOV Extension Recorder because the base Recorder didn't have exr output and it wouldn't capture all of the lights and colors when set it to capture a series of images (it worked great for video capture). The AOV Recorder (Extension) plug-in had exr output and it was able to capture the entire output image when set to capturing a series of images. I still need to re-check this now that there's newer versions of the base Recorder plugin. I know the base Recorder can now capture exr for 2020.3, but I haven't check for 2019.4.

Yet, the reason why we're using the Recorder is because one of our projects pre-dates the Timeline tool. It also pre-dates the Standard Surface Shader used in the Standard Render Pipeline, but it can't predate it by too much, because it was using prototype Stand Surface Shaders. Despite getting the project to work in Unity 2019.4 and HDRP 7.5, getting the scene to run under the Timeline tool is more work than I can do with the time constraints.

Yet, one of the things that the Unity Recorder excels at, is getting the simulation to run the same way every time we run the simulation (as long as scene doesn't contain non-deterministic random particles floating around like Morgan in the Heretic VFX scene).

So, one of the things I noticed about the new AOV API, is that it executes a delegate. This made me think, wouldn't it be nice if we could just tell the Recorder to execute this bit of code when it tries to capture an image. So, I guess my question should have been, how does one create an extension plug-in for the Unity Recorder plug-in. I know it's possible (or used to be possible) to create an extension plug-in for the Unity Recorder plug-in because the now defunct AOV Recorder is an extension to the Unity Recorder. The old documentation (actual documentation that tell me how the code interacts with the rest of the code) that I found for the Unity Recorder was for the Recorder that was used in Unity 2017.4. But, the Recorder gained a major performance boost in Unity 2018.4, so I don't think I can trust that old documentation. Also, I lost the link.

32. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

You cannot yet build custom Recorders with support for all features (e.g. async GPU callbacks, adding a new codec to the Movie Recorder) because there are several things that need to be improved in our public API before exposing this.

Note that all the releases so far are compatible with 2019.4.

We are aware of the need for supporting custom passes, and I'll make a note about your issues with negative values so that we look into this when we work on adding custom passes.

Here is some sample code that shows you the basics of adding a new Recorder. This allows you to grab the camera input, but I have not integrated the AOV API with this. You need 3 classes: the actual Recorder, its settings, and its Editor for the Recorder Window/Timeline clips.

Recorder logic:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. using System.IO;
    3. using UnityEditor.Recorder;
    4. using UnityEditor.Recorder.Input;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    6. using UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering;
    8. class TestRecorder : GenericRecorder<TestRecorderSettings>
    9. {
    10.     protected internal override void RecordFrame(RecordingSession session)
    11.     {
    12.         // Do something with the incoming frame
    13.         if (m_Inputs.Count == 0)
    14.             return;
    16.         var input = (CameraInput)m_Inputs[0];
    17.         var renderTex = input.OutputRenderTexture;
    18.         // RT to Texture2D
    19.         Texture2D tex = new Texture2D(renderTex.width, renderTex.height, renderTex.graphicsFormat, TextureCreationFlags.None);
    20.         var torestore = RenderTexture.active;
    21.         RenderTexture.active = renderTex;
    22.         tex.ReadPixels(new Rect(0, 0, renderTex.width, renderTex.height), 0, 0);
    23.         tex.Apply();
    24.         RenderTexture.active = torestore; // restore previous RT
    26.         // Encode to PNG and save
    27.         var png = tex.EncodeToPNG();
    28.         var path = Settings.fileNameGenerator.BuildAbsolutePath(session); // uses settings
    29.         File.WriteAllBytes(path, png);
    30.     }
    31.     protected internal override bool BeginRecording(RecordingSession session)
    32.     {
    33.         if (!base.BeginRecording(session))
    34.             return false;
    36.         // Do your setup here, open a file handle?
    37.         Debug.LogWarning($"Recording started");
    38.         return true;
    39.     }
    41.     protected internal override void EndRecording(RecordingSession session)
    42.     {
    43.         base.EndRecording(session);
    45.         // Close the file handle?
    46.         Debug.LogWarning($"Recording finished");
    47.     }
    48. }
    Recorder settings:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    7. /// <summary>
    8. /// Class describing the settings for Test Recorder.
    9. /// </summary>
    10. [Serializable]
    11. [RecorderSettings(typeof(TestRecorder), "Test Recorder")]
    12. public class TestRecorderSettings : RecorderSettings
    13. {
    14.     [SerializeField] CameraInputSettings m_InputSettings = new CameraInputSettings();
    16.     /// <summary>
    17.     /// Default constructor.
    18.     /// </summary>
    19.     public TestRecorderSettings()
    20.     {
    21.     }
    23.     protected internal override string Extension => "png";
    25.     public override IEnumerable<RecorderInputSettings> InputsSettings
    26.     {
    27.         get { yield return m_InputSettings; }
    28.     }
    29. }
    The Editor for the Recorder Window/Timeline clips
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections.Generic;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. namespace UnityEditor.Recorder
    5. {
    6.     [CustomEditor(typeof(TestRecorderSettings))]
    7.     class TestRecorderEditor : RecorderEditor
    8.     {
    9.         internal static readonly GUIContent DummyLabel = new GUIContent("Dummy", "A dummy field");
    10.         protected override void FileTypeAndFormatGUI()
    11.         {
    12.             var dummyOptions = new List<string>();
    13.             dummyOptions.Add("Option 1");
    14.             dummyOptions.Add("Option 2");
    15.             EditorGUILayout.Popup(DummyLabel, 0, dummyOptions.ToArray());
    16.         }
    17.     }
    18. }
    upload_2021-5-18_15-29-38.png

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    fct509 likes this.
  33. fct509

fct509

Sorry about the late replay, I was a bit preoccupied last week. Just wanted to say thank you.

34. fct509

fct509

I'm on Unity 2019.4.15f1 and Unity Recorder 2.5.5, and I'm not finding an OutputRenderTexture of any kind inside of the the CameraInput.

35. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Please double check your logic and cast your objects properly. I just looked at the source code and member OutputRenderTexture does appear in class CameraInput because it's part of parent class BaseRenderTextureInput.

36. fct509

fct509

So, I took a closer look. It turns out that this is a
    protected internal
    property. I can access it if I create my own Input class that inherits from
    CameraInput
    ; from there, I create a method to grab the result for me.

Of course, that raises the question: How do I get
    TestRecorder 
    to use use
    TestCameraInput : CameraInput
    instead of
    CameraInput
    ?

---------------------------
    Edit:
    I figured it out.

First, I need to create a classed named
    TestCameraInput
    :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class TestCameraInput
    2.     : CameraInput
    3. {
    4.     public RenderTexture OutputRT
    5.     {
    6.         get { return OutputRenderTexture; }
    7.         set { OutputRenderTexture = value; }
    8.     }
    10.     public Texture2D ReadbackTex2D
    11.     {
    12.         get { return ReadbackTexture; }
    13.         set { ReadbackTexture = value; }
    14.     }
    16.     public Camera TargetCam
    17.     {
    18.         get { return TargetCamera; }
    19.         set { TargetCamera = value; }
    20.     }
    22. }
    Next, I need to create a class named
    TestInputSettings
    :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class TestInputSettings
    2.     : CameraInputSettings
    3. {
    4.     protected override Type InputType => typeof(TestCameraInput);
    5. }
    By overriding the
    InputType
    getter, I can tell base Recorder class to use my
    TestCameraInput
    instead of the
    CameraInput
    that's specified by
    CameraInputSettings

To finish it off, I tell the
    TestRecorderSettings
    to use an instance of
    TestInputSettings
    instead of using an instance of the
    CameraInputSettings
    class. This way, when the base Recorder enumerates over the items inside the
    InputSettings
    property that we overloaded inside of the
    TestRecorderSettings
    class, it will see that it needs to create an instance of
    TestCameraInput
    . And, because
    TestCameraInput
    is something that we created, we can add code to look and/or use the protected members of its parent classes.

By doing all of this,
    m_Inputs[0]
    will contain an instance of
    TestCameraInput

Update:
    So, there might be a bug with the Editor rendering code, or (more likely) there's another component that needs to be defined. But when alter the field containing the TestCameraInputSettings, do this:
    [SerializeField] CameraInputSettings m_InputSettings = new TestCameraInputSettings();

When I changed the field type to TestCameraInputSettings, the Editor became unable to draw the input fields for selecting the camera and resolution due to a null reference error.

So,
    [SerializeField] TestCameraInputSettings m_InputSettings = new TestCameraInputSettings();
    is bad, and
    [SerializeField] CameraInputSettings m_InputSettings = new TestCameraInputSettings();
    is good when creating your own
    TestRecorderSettings
    class.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    unitybru likes this.
  37. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Thanks for taking the time to share your findings in this thread!

38. _slash_

_slash_

@unitybru is there a way to access the already set recorder settings? I just want to be able to edit the filename by scripting, keeping the takes and other settings intact

39. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

For the recorders in your Recorder window?
    If you need to do something like this, you should instead script everything and not rely on the Recorder window. You'll have more control over and understanding of the settings.

40. maxjresser

maxjresser

Hi Bruno, so I used this script/method to start and stop the recorder, however I get an opening file error which cuts the recording short.

Opening file failed

Opening file
    C:...Start of path.../Library/TempArtifacts/Primary/randomlettertempfilename.resource:
    The system cannot find the specified file.

Attached is my code, which primarily uses what you posted above.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    5. public class RotateMug : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public float timePeriod = 2;
    8.     public float height = 30f;
    9.     public float startAngle;
    10.     private float timeSinceStart;
    11.     private Vector3 pivot;
    12.     private string funword = "silly";
    13.     private RecorderController TestRecorderController;
    15.     private void Start()
    16.     {
    17.         pivot = transform.localEulerAngles;
    18.         pivot.y = startAngle;
    19.         height /= 2;
    20.         StartRecorder();
    21.         timeSinceStart = 0;
    22.     }
    24.     void Update()
    25.     {
    26.         if (timeSinceStart < timePeriod)
    27.         {
    28.             Vector3 nextPos = transform.localEulerAngles;
    29.             nextPos.y = pivot.y + height * Mathf.Sin(((Mathf.PI * 2) / timePeriod) * timeSinceStart);
    30.             timeSinceStart += Time.deltaTime;
    31.             transform.localEulerAngles = nextPos;
    32.         }
    33.         else
    34.         {
    35.             StopRecorder();
    36.         }
    37.     }
    39.     private void StartRecorder()
    40.     {
    41.         var controllerSettings = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<RecorderControllerSettings>();
    42.         TestRecorderController = new RecorderController(controllerSettings);
    43.         var videoRecorder = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<MovieRecorderSettings>();
    44.         videoRecorder.name = "My Video Recorder";
    45.         videoRecorder.Enabled = true;
    46.         videoRecorder.VideoBitRateMode = VideoBitrateMode.High;
    47.         videoRecorder.ImageInputSettings = new GameViewInputSettings
    48.         {
    49.             OutputWidth = 640,
    50.             OutputHeight = 480
    51.         };
    52.         videoRecorder.AudioInputSettings.PreserveAudio = true;
    53.         string fileName = RecordingName();
    54.         videoRecorder.OutputFile = fileName;
    55.         controllerSettings.AddRecorderSettings(videoRecorder);
    56.         controllerSettings.SetRecordModeToFrameInterval(0, 59); // 2s @ 30 FPS
    57.         controllerSettings.FrameRate = 30;
    58.         RecorderOptions.VerboseMode = false;
    59.         TestRecorderController.PrepareRecording();
    60.         TestRecorderController.StartRecording();
    61.     }
    63.     private void StopRecorder()
    64.     {
    65.         TestRecorderController.StopRecording();
    66.     }
    68.     private string RecordingName()
    69.     {
    70.         return string.Format("{0}/MP4Videos/vid_{1}",
    71.             Application.dataPath,
    72.             funword
    73.         );
    74.     }
    75. }

41. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Can you try saving the recording to another folder, like C:\TEMP_UNITY? This looks like a similar issue we had where we saved a video file to the Assets directory.

42. maxjresser

maxjresser

Saving to a different folder solved the opening file error, but the saved video is still being cut short

Edit:

I solved the issue, I needed to change the recorder mode to manual

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  43. El-Painto

El-Painto

I've been able to set everything up using the info in this thread but I still have a question. I'm trying to render out a series of video files from one scene and since my computer can play back the animations at really high framerates, I'm wondering if it's possible to record at speeds faster than real time. An example would be rendering many 24fps videos at a rate of 100 fps or higher. I have been able to do using a render texture to an image sequence (Not using the recorder). Would there be some way to do this with the video recorder?

44. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Yes, you need to uncheck the "Cap FPS" box. This assumes that your computer can render above 24FPS.
    Note that there will always be slowdowns due to encoding the frames, so you won't get the same speedup than without any recording.

45. Ubrano

Ubrano

@unitybru et al

Thank you very much for the recorder; I find it absolutely fabulous.

Whilst accessing the recorder from script is news to me, I realise there may be parts accessible, which are otherwise not.

Having said so - as I'm working on 8k 120fps output - I have two questions regarding scripting:

1) Would it be possible to append output to an existing MP4 file instead of making a new one, of course those two would have identical settings (i.e. w*h, fps etc.)? If so, how would I do that?

2) Could I force 16:9 output beyond 8192px width? Maybe something like when "superSize" (in ScreenCapture.CaptureScreenshot(string filename, int superSize)) is used?

46. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

1) No that is not possible and I doubt we will ever add this feature. You can do this with command-line tools after the fact, but I don't see how that would be possible using our current tools under the hood.

2) You can use custom dimensions in your Recorders. You might get warnings about large resolutions but if it runs (even slowly), it is possible with that format.

Ubrano likes this.
  47. Ubrano

Ubrano

@unitybru

Thank you very much;

I searched a bit and found some software called MP4Joiner that's available for MacOS (and Win) and supposedly meant to do just that, i.e. join two (or more) MP4 files; hopefully it works

48. hotchick

hotchick

Hello Daniel, how to change the location of the file saved using script?
    recorderWindow.____ ?

49. hotchick

hotchick

Hello Bruno, Video recording works fine. However, audio is NOT recorded. Can you please help? (I also tried by inserting microphone)

50. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

You don't change the output file in the RecorderWindow class.
    Check out my example, you need to do something like

Code (CSharp):
    1. videoRecorder.OutputFile = Application.dataPath + "/../RecordingTests/movie_test_from_controller"; // no extension