Search Unity

Realtime server, Authoritative

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Prdik, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Prdik

Prdik

Hello,

Few years back I created a game with HLAPI, but I would like to create a online game with authoritative server. Since the current system is soon to be deprecated (or maybe already is), I am looking for other solutions. There is some connected games feature with partnership with google, but I have not found any tutorials or example code. - Seems its still in beta and not released for general public? Are there any other options for authoritative server?

I want to make a session-based multiplayer, where if enough players (lets say 4 - 8) connect to 1 room, play the match and then it ends. Some persistent data would be saved in some SQL DB in AWS for example, but if it would be possible to use connected games from Unity, I would expect they would offer some DB of their own and other tools like matchmaking, lobby, ect?

Any advice is appretiated,
    Thank you,

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unet and the associated Unity Multiplayer Service was deprecated in 2019.

That appears to primarily be about hosting your server on the Google cloud, probably with some extra controls and API that would be relevant to game servers specifically. But I haven't seen any information from Unity on the topic in quite some time. I've assumed it has been cancelled, but no idea for sure.

If you're talking about hosting, well the service doesn't exist, so you can't use it. But you can host pretty much anywhere you can get a cloud linux server or dedicated server.

3. g_a_p

g_a_p