Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

RAIN{indie} Free, Powerful, AI Engine -- Released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RT_Jester, Jan 25, 2013.

1. roem

roem

Hello Jester, I've picked up RAIN and I have to say I'm very impressed. The ability to create a navmesh (and quickly at that) at runtime has saved my butt a lot of work (I build levels at run-time using assembled/interlocking prefabs). So far it has covered every need I've had, with the added bonus of simple to implement AI.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I have a few brief questions:

Do you guys have any plans to implement any type of local avoidance (RVO, etc.), or is it already there and I'm missing it?

On that same line, what are you suggestions for AI's avoiding other AI's? My use case is maybe 3-10 AIs in any given area, and I would like them to surround the target. If only 3 can fit around the target, then the other's should continually try to push their way in. The big key here, is that they cannot pass through one another, and still have vision of the target.

Thanks in advance!

2. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

roem,

Thanks for posting this! Instead of RVO we are implementing dynamic obstacle avoidance in the coming patch. As for AIs avoiding one another trying to attack a play we have implemented an attack harness that allows only a certain amount of AI to be attacking at any one point. As the AI die another AI will take their place.

I linked the sample project here http://rivaltheory.com/forums/topic/sample-project-rain-attack-harness/

Let me know if this helps!

Best,
    Nick

3. roem

roem

That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Yet again, you've saved me a ton of time, and with a far more elegant solution than I was thinking. (Target type collision spheres with masked repulsion forces). I can't wait to see the next update, amazing stuff!

4. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thanks so much for the kind words! We are creating the most complete AI engine on Unity (and perhaps the world ;) )

Feedback is always welcome! What kind of project are you working on?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
    Nick

5. SeanPollman

SeanPollman

Are there any plans to add a pathfinding system that does not require a navemesh of any kind? This would be very useful for environments that can change constantly, like voxel, or are procedurally generated.

6. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello SeanPollman!

Thanks for reaching out!

We are planning on having a feature that allows a nav mesh to be generated at runtime. This will allow voxel or any procedurally generated terrain to benefit from the flexibility and power of nav mesh generation.

Let me know what you think!

Best,
    Jester

7. SeanPollman

SeanPollman

This sounds great. Im working on a couple prototypes that Id like to use Rain in. if it can also handle dynamic placement of objects (player built mesh for example) this will be perfect.

Any idea when a test version of this will be available?

8. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

At the earliest we will get a new version out by early July.

In the meantime, I can answer any questions you might have about RAIN or if the other parts of our modular system would be a good fit.

Best,
    Jester

9. roem

roem

Still under wraps, I'm afraid... When we make the beta announcement in the coming months, you'll be on my list of the first to know :).

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm doing this with your current system (I generate the navmesh at runtime, after my level is fabricated)... or did you mean something built in (not through the API)? I'm fairly certain it could work for a voxel terrain... though it would likely require some finessing.

Edit: I went back and read the post you were replying to, and yeah the dynamic changing environment wouldn't work right now. I would go with a tiled navmesh (and subsequently stitched), to allow for fast recast of small areas (or to you voxel folks, chunks :p).... just my 2 cents though, I'm sure you guys have it well under way.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  10. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

roem, thanks for the follow up on this. We have an interesting approach that will be supported right out of the box.

When you have something to share, we would love to see it!

I look forward to to hearing from you. Do you have a Twitter?

11. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  12. Dartmoor

Dartmoor

I have some problems with AI Rain and new Unity version (4.5.0f6). When I add waypoints in waypoint network and hit play, waypoints change position to some huge y values, same with Waypoints Route. I’m not getting any errors or warning. Anyone have some solution to that except downgrading Unity? Same project worked on previous version.

13. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

We're can't seem to replicate the problem, if you can replicate the problem in a small project and get it to us we can look at it!

Send it to support[at]rivaltheory[dot]com

Talk to you soon!

Best,
    Jester

14. yuewahchan

yuewahchan

15. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Yuewahchan,

Thanks for following up with this! We have a plan to fix this in the next release, due at the end of this month.

How are things going?

Best,
    Jester

16. yuewahchan

yuewahchan

our team wait for long time, would you mind send me to a test built before release ?

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

hey...I purchased rain awhile back(before indie)..I was thinking of trying to start using this again..any advice on 3D flying AI with Boid/flocking behavior...flying dog fights, where I can call a wingman or small squadron, to get in 'Formation'..I have the flying/ai script now in c#.....any suggestions on where to even begin?, can rain do such a thing??

18. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Yuewahchan,

We can absolutely send you an early build for you to check out. Let me get you more solid details this week.

Post here or email me directly jester [at] rivaltheory [dot] com

Talk to you soon!

Best,
    Jester

19. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello ForceVFX,

Thanks for posting and thanks for being an early adopter of RAIN! If you haven't yet, grab our latest version RAIN 2.0.11. We've come so far since RAIN{one} :)

http://rivaltheory.com/rain/download/

We have a wiki, sample projects and tutorials to get you started on learning RAIN and I will be here to answer any questions you may have.

Let me know what you think!

Best,
    Nick

20. yuewahchan

yuewahchan

My email is yuewah@gmail.com

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks, I'll do that...Basic Motor w/Basic Navigator for move vectors, and Basic/Mind/Memory for AI w/ Behavior tree..
    Looks promising, some custom actions, tying in my existing c# code.....

I am still confused, what's in it for you?? That's a lot of overhead/expense to maintain, for a free product...
    Altruism is fantastic, but it does not keep the servers running, etc...what am I missing here??

Thanks for the response...see ya on the rain forms.

p-

22. Aska-K

Aska-K

Hi,
    I'd download RAIN ver.2.0.11.0, this is very nice Asset!
    But Mecanim IK is not moving, please help me.

I set AIRig in character, and set in Inspecter:
    • Memory : Add Variable "Mark" and set a gameobject.
    • Animator : MecanimAnimator, LookAt Is Active checked
    • Mind : BasicMind, set my Bahavior Tree Asset.
    In my Bahavior Tree:
    • Root -> Parallel -> CustomAction and Mecanim IK
    • CustomAction : Debug.Log(ai.WorkingMemory.GetItem("Mark"));
    • Mecanim IK : IK Goal is "Look At", Position Target is "Mark";
    And Play the game, show "Mark" in console by Debug.Log, but the character didn't look at to "Mark".
    (I think that the character's mecanim is successful, because It is working correctly in Animate and Mecanim Parameter.)
    What issues should I wrong something?

23. Zackhanzo

Zackhanzo

Hi guys im being "playing" with Unity for a month now, so im not a good coder at all. I followed all the tutorials from the youtube channel, and all works fine. The enemy detects me, chases me and all that stuff seen on the tuts.

Well i have a script, on the root of the GameObject, something like this:

public void TakeDamage(damage amt)
    {
    currentHitPoints-=amt
    }

And now i want to acceed to that variable (currentHitPoints) value on my Tree Editor... Like if currentHitPoints>0 do (blablabla) and if currentHitPoints<0 stop doing that and just die and get destroyed.

I saw, some tuts from CodersExpo on youtube about Custom Actions with another Rain version, so doesnt work at all in here, and i dont know if i have to use a Custom Action for that.

I saw, tuts for Tornado Twins but its another version of Rain and i dont know how to reach that in this version

I tried to post this on troubleshooting on their webpage, but it seems the forum is pretty dead and no one will answer.

Tried dont using rain and using Navmesh Agent, and it worked but glitchy as hell.

So if anyone in this world, could help me on how to get on my behaviour tree to that variable vale (currentHitPoint) and how i destroy the enemy...

Oh and by the way, i tried reading all the wiki stuff about Custom Actions too, and i didnt understand, i mean i understand the script but i dont understand what i have to do with this on Rain. And tried too, destroying the AI gameobject generated by rain through a script(when currentHitPoints reach 0 or less, but it seems not working either...

PS: And of course i dont wanna spend more money on playmaker, spend a lot of money on unity,animations and models :p
    EDIT: finally i coded the IA and used Nav Mesh Agent, and works great, but if anyone could help me with this it will be awesome, i want to use Rain too lol.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  24. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

i wonder when are the upcoming features going to be available? .. aprox
    you say new version due real soon? I wonder what it contains?
    Im particularly interested in:
    • Dynamic navmesh updates
    • Navigation Mesh stitching
    • Obstacle Avoidance through dynamic navmeshes
    i hope any new version, my project is updatable... im sure it will be right?

im just now learning to use it.. it looks Amazing!!! great work! and thank you SOOOO much for making it free!
    RAIN is absolutely Great!! :D:cool:

25. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  26. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you're running a version of RAIN older than 2.1.3 and you want the latest version please visit our website for your update. Even if automatic updates are enabled. We found an issue where the auto updater was saying the latest version of RAIN was installed when it really wasn't.

To check your version in Unity go to RAIN>Help>About (version number should be there).

Is it v2.1.3?
    No?

Download the latest version of RAIN here

The issue has been resolved in the current version of RAIN

Post here if you have any questions, or email me jester[at]rivaltheory[dot]com

Best,
    Jester

27. Alexarah

Alexarah

What's up Jester do you know what steps I should make to use Rain for a horror game. I know for a fact it can be done however I see no tutorials on using Rain for specific genres. By that I mean survival horror games, fighting games, and even action adventure games. To sum things up I merely need tips and hints on how I should approach using Rain for my horror game project. Oh yeah I have the latest and greatest version of Rain and it looks real nice.

28. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Alexarah,

Thanks for contacting us, I have some resources for you.

A few things first:

Our newest RAIN forums can be located here (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ra...-engine-v2-1-more-powerful-still-free.262579/)

We have a lot of resources to get you started with RAIN located here: http://rivaltheory.com/community/tutorials/
    including tutorials and a sample project to get you started.

We are about to release the first set of RAIN assets to get you started with making particular types of games (FPS, RTS, Minecraft, MOBA, RPG, MMO)

Signup for our news letter to know the moment they are available on the asset store. http://rivaltheory.com/rain/download/

Let me know what else you may need!

Best,
    Jester

Alexarah likes this.
  29. MiaBentzen

MiaBentzen

I cant get anything to move no matter what i do. help please

30. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Oli192,

Thanks for posting this. Try out our getting started tutorial and sample project to get you used to the RAIN system.

We have a lot of resources to get you started with RAIN located here: http://rivaltheory.com/community/tutorials/
    including tutorials and a sample project to get you started.

Let me know if this helps!

Best,
    Jester

31. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

[DEMO Released] A demo for Squad Command: Advanced Warfighter AI pack was released.

Check it out!

bit.ly/1xd7UpJ

This project was created #UsingRAIN
    Squad Command: Advanced Warfighter AI package includes:

6 Reusable Components with Scripts
    -- Aim and Fire
    -- Health management
    -- AI to AI communication
    -- Tactical positions for cover and threat
    -- Formation management
    -- Team management

Formation Options
    -- Squad
    -- Column
    -- Wedge
    -- Circle
    -- Attack

Sub-formations for 4-man Squadrons Include
    -- Wedge
    -- Column
    -- Skirmisher
    -- Echelon

AI Classes
    -- Soldier
    -- Commander
    -- Sniper
    -- Player squad member

AI Commands
    -- Attack
    -- Find Cover
    -- Hold Position
    -- Flank
    -- Cover Me

4 Rigged Scenes
    -- Standard fighting and patrol
    -- Snipers
    -- Endless enemy spawns
    -- Big Team Battle

Modify, and reuse every aspect of this project. - including the rigging, code, and behavior.

Alexarah likes this.
  32. Alexarah

Alexarah

Awesome Jester! By the way I see where the Advanced Warfighter Package can come in handy. I purchased it some time ago and it's very interesting indeed. Another thing I see where Rain can be helpful is for another package I purchased called ZADE (The Action Framework) which is a game toolkit made to develop action games. ZADE as you can imagine has no usable built in AI so that's where this Warfighter Package that includes Rain should solve that problem. Oh god the possibilities using Rain are nearly endless! Thanks a lot Jester and Rival Theory for this great Warfighter Package that demonstrates Rain's true power! Cheers!

RT_Jester and frankrs like this.
  33. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Thanks for this suggestion :) I'm glad you like Squad Command! Let me know if there is anything we can help with. I will be your direct contact here at Rival Theory.

Cheers!

Alexarah likes this.
  34. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hi there Jester I have a question is it okay for people to sell external behavior trees they make with Rain on the Asset Store. I'm currently looking for various ways to make money on the Asset Store and thanks to Rival Theory in particular I've become very obsessed with AI and behavior trees!

35. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hey Alexarah, email me jester@rivaltheory.com and we can talk more about this! I look forward to hearing from you.

36. Tom163

Tom163

Does RAIN still exist? Community portal link on the website is a dead end, last update 2014, etc. ?

I'm just starting with it and have very simple questions on working with Aspects. I'd like to have the same basic target selection script on two enemies. Basically, I want a fight between 2 different teams, but they should both use the same AI. So how do make a detect that triggers on an aspect that I define dynamically? And where do I store that?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  37. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

Hello Tom,

Yes, RAIN is alive and well! I looking into the community portal issue. Is this the link you're talking about?

http://rivaltheory.com/community-3/

Let me know which link you clicked on.

Thanks again for reaching out!

Best,
    Nick

38. Tom163

Tom163

39. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

40. Tom163

Tom163

worked. I'm still trying to understand basics, though, and it's tricky.

41. RT_Jester

RT_Jester

42. Tom163

Tom163

Lots. The main thing I struggle with is to get team identification done. I want to tell my AI to have friend-or-foe detection which is defined simply as "anyone not on my team". But aspects don't have values, so I can't use an aspect named "Team" with a value that indicates the team. I tried writing my own sensor filter which didn't work. I'm really surprised that apparently none of AI packages in the asset store have something as basic as FOF built-in.

43. Zireael07

Zireael07

Is RAIN a good solution for a racing game (waypoints/collision detection/overtaking)? In the other thread someone complained of dll's being left over - was that removal problem fixed?

44. Nadan

Nadan

I keep getting this error message. What does this mean?

Trying to create a material from string - this is no longer supported.
    UnityEngine.Material:.ctor(String)
    RAINEditor.Utility.Visualization:get_LineMaterial()
    RAINEditor.Utility.Visualization:DrawWireBox(Matrix4x4, Vector3, Color)
    RAINEditor.Navigation.NavMesh.NavMeshEditor:DrawBounds(FieldWalker)
    RAINEditor.Navigation.NavMesh.NavMeshEditor:DrawGizmo(GizmoType, FieldWalker)
    RAINEditor.TypeEditors.RAINTypeEditor:DrawFieldForGizmo(GizmoType, FieldWalker)
    RAINEditor.Core.RAINComponentEditor:OnGizmoGUI(RAINComponent, GizmoType)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()