Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RageSpline - 2D Vector Graphics for Unity - v1.1 RELEASED

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by keely, Jun 30, 2011.

1. codemypantsoff

codemypantsoff

Hello - still trying to learn with both Unity and Ragespline - is there any chance of looking at the source of other games built with it - Ragecube is one I would love to see - I know a simulation I could make where they would love the 'stretchy' effect from the cube in that.

Anybody got others that would be good to learn from

2. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

I've got some similar requests, but fact is that RageCube has never got its source code released AFAIK. It's property of Juha Kiili and I'm not sure he's interested on sharing it. I'll check back with him through e-mail.

As for Uphill Rage, you can download the complete project here:
    http://www.freakow.com/downloads/UphillRage.unitypackage

3. Jake-L

Jake-L

Hi,

I've got an error when trying to import Ragespline to Unity 3.5.7, no matter if I import from the AssetStore or from HDD:

View attachment 44636

Import to Unity 4 works, but I need it to run in 3.5.7. Any ideas?

Jake

4. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi Jake, have you tried applying the hotfix from ragespline.com? Should work out your issue. After trading further e-mails with the Unity Asset Store team we' ve finally figured out the problem - it doesn't support empty folders, similar to the Mercurial repositories. There's one serialized settings folder currently empty in the project, and that's what's wrecking havoc to Unity 3.5 - yet curiously it's harmless on Unity 4. We're cooking up the next release which should cure this issue once and for all in the Asset Store version.

5. Reno

Reno

Hi MaDDox,

i got a problem with ragespline again. Hope you can help me.

I use Ragespline as paths on a 2D map between levelnodes. When i move my character on the spline using GetPositionWorldSpace(float) my character moves in different speeds on one spline.
    Is there a way t calculate the accurate length and percent based position on the spline so that my character will move smooth and in an constant speed?

6. mu-kow

mu-kow

@Reno

If you want to use splines for paths, check out gokit by prime31. Its free/open source and has tons of great options for tweening along splines.

7. Jake-L

Jake-L

@Reno: You also might want to checkout Curvy (see my sig). It's easy to use and way fast...

@Maddox: Even the latest1.5.5 version produces the crash when importing to Unity 3.5.7. The fix works, but whenever I try to import a package containing Ragespline objects (exported from 4.0), the project crashes again. Applying the fix again doesn't solve the problem this time. Any idea how I can fix this? I can copy the scripts manually, but then I'll need to redo all scenes...

8. GibbonP

GibbonP

Hi,

Just bought Rage Spline yesterday and want to say its a great product :)

Found a bug when going through the tutorial.
    Snapping -> Snap points to grid do not seem to be working. However, Snap handles to grid is working. Please fix the snap point to grid bug if it really is not working. Thanks.

9. LaneFox

LaneFox

Why can't I add a mesh collider to the primitives? It keeps getting overridden by the script. I'm assuming it wants to use its own internal collider setup but I need to use a standard collider to interact with things that are looking for the typical physics collider.

10. figment

figment

I am having some problems using RageGroup's "Update" method via script, after creating RageSpline objects also via script.

It does not work from script, but if I pause the game and click Update in the editor it works.
    Is there a way to use the Update method via script?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  11. mchoudhu

mchoudhu

Is it possible to deform the RageSpline based on it landing on colliders in the environment?

12. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Fixed for the next release. That was a really silly bug introduced with the new multi-point selection highlight improvement.

That's the default behavior when you get physics creation enabled. If you want you can simply copy the collider (or generated box colliders, placed as children of the host RageSpline) then disable the RageSpline collider generation.
    Adam, I've already replied to you through e-mail, but if anyone else is having this problem: simply enable the "auto-refresh" option in the RageSpline. RageGroup is also gaining a new option to toggle auto-refresh on all grouped ragesplines.

That's quite trivial to pull off using RageMagnets (one of RageTools Pro's components). Otherwise you'd have to manually code in a specific point index movement to keep constrained to a certain Rigidbody, not trivial but quite feasible using RageSpline's powerful API.

13. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi Sugoro. Like I replied to you through e-mail I couldn't reproduce this (mesh collider missing caps) but I tried it on the not-yet-on-Asset-Store version 1.6. Anyone else got this?

In any case, thanks for the report.

14. profanicus

profanicus

Hey there, I'm using Ragespline to do procedural landscape (like in the "Uphill Rage") demo, and I was wondering if there was support for Farseer collide for Landscape splines planned. The option is there in the dropdown, but currently it doesn't really function in a useful way, not taking landscape height into consideration.

15. Delta-Bob

Delta-Bob

Hello,

I am very new to unity, shaders and vectors, but I just wanted to know if I could use RageSpline and RageTools to have smooth textures in a 3d game

for example have and object and apply a vector image as a texture on it so that if the player gets close, it all stays smooth.

but everything in a 3d game, because you've only been talking about 2d games, I just want to know if it is possile in 3d

16. Delta-Bob

Delta-Bob

Also, I forgot to mention, but I also wanted to know if I should learn Photoshop or Illustrator first,

Many thanks

17. MaskedPixel

MaskedPixel

I just purchased RageSuite today and am really enjoying working with the tools. Great work!

There is an issue that is holding me up at the moment though. While following the 'RageSpline 101 – Outlines' video tutorial, the offset did not behave as it did in the video, and I really need it to so I can get the look I am going for.

My version is the latest distributed by the getdpd product delivery service you are using.

Thanks in advance for some direction or an update!

Ninja Edit: To be more specific. The offset performed more like the outline width. It did not expand the outline beyond the fill(or vice-versa for negative values).

Ninja Edit 2: The problem disappears when you set anti-aliasing to 0.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  18. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

Hi
    1 - Can RageSpline be used to create splines during gameplay, taking user inputs?
    2 - Does is support drawing splines directly into a Texture2D, during gameplay?

19. mrpmorris

mrpmorris

I emailed contact at freakow.com 4 days ago with pre-sales questions. Did you receive it? Subject "Questions about Rage Suite"

20. MWS

MWS

Hi,

I have recently buyed the RageSuite and I like it very much.

I have now two questions regarding the Splines:

1) All prefab object are very big. I create a new blob and the size is 42x46 (compared to a unity cube). I want to mix some RageSpline objects with meshes created in blender. The blender objects are now in comparison very small. I assumed that blender and Unity are both meter based.
    Is it normal that all spline objects are so big ?

2) If I zoom in the unity scene editor, RageSpline objects are disappearing very early. Is this a bug or a personal setup problem ?

If have the newest version of the complete RageSuite installed.

Cheers,

Uli

21. AKov

AKov

Hi,

I'm interested in development a play like "Draw Something" in Unity.
    Is possible to draw beautiful lines in real-time with yours plug-in? Or your plugin can make a beautiful lines only in editor mode and not optimized to work in real-time?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  22. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

Basically the same questions I made, but no response from them. Hope their support doesn't lack attention like this forum thread. Vacation maybe? :p

23. figment

figment

Hi everyone. Been exchanging emails with Breno about developing with RageSuite/RageSpline and he's been really helpful. We are using it in a kind of 3D context, to draw circles that the user can pan and zoom around, using EdgeTune to keep the vertex count as low as possible without visible angles.

I would really like to be able to give some "thickness" to the RageSpline objects. So that when the user spins them around and they are facing the edge head on, that the edge is visible - currently, as it is just a 2D surface it has 0 thickness. I'm still learning some aspects of Unity so please bare with me, but any help with this would be great, even if its to know that I need to look at other tools.... I've also looked at primitive shape libraries which could help us achieve what we want, in conjunction with RageSpline and RageTools.

24. atmuc

atmuc

can i do that with RageSpline?

i have positions of a spline. i want my object follow this spline as both position and orientation. also i want to get a position and rotation of specific place on this spline( like percentage length, %15 of whole spline). i will use this to place some objects on spline and follow it with constant speed.

25. atmuc

atmuc

is there any support forum except here? there is no answer for 4 weeks.

how can i move all nodes without selecting one by one? my imported nodes are not at center. i do not want to use transformation position directly. initially i want to correct their position.

26. atmuc

atmuc

I want to use unity physics. i added a circle as a ball. i want it's radius is 40 cm. unity references cube dimension is 1 m. when i added ragespline circle prefab it is so huge related to unity cube. i have to use 0.025 scale value. i tried to edit nodes of circle. values became to small so it is not easy to edit antialias width on editor text field via mouse drag. i try to use scale values as 1.0 for game object transforms. is there any internal scale parameter?

in examples there is an physics example and objects are huge there. so they move slowly. also it would be nice to have an farseer example in ragespline examples.

Edit: i found ShapeConversion example scene in Farseer Folder. it works as 100-120 fps in editor. is this speed normal? i have 3.4 GHz i7, 16 GB Ram, Radeon HD 6970M with 2GB RAM. i just run Unity when testing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  27. jeffweber

jeffweber

28. atmuc

atmuc

with unity 4.3 an internal 2d physics come. it uses rigidbody 2d, box collider 2d components. do you plan to add new unity 2d colliders?

29. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

No vacation for component developers I'm afraid :) Anyways, I've posted more than once here that support and questions should come through e-mail, it's very hard for me to keep track of all the different Rage* threads in the forum. Although once in a while I do pop up here, just don't count on that for real/urgent issues.

Please read RageTools' Pivotools docs, 'Freeze scale rotation' option. You can find it in our website.

RageSpline is super-optimized for mobile, the only exception is the refreshmesh method, which requires rebuilding the polygon mesh, something quite slow on Unity. The component offers some features to help alleviate the problem, like scheduling refreshes on fixed intervals. Bottom line is that if you don't go crazy with each individual line being drawn (especially amount of points) RageSpline is quite suitable for your intention, yes.

Currently RageSpline is not suitable for this kind of application, since the 'percentage' you refer to is only available for each segment (area between two points) and not the whole spline. That's a common request so it's been added to our roadmap.

Best way to do that right now is with RageTools' 'Pivotools' component. Although a 'Select All' would be quite nice, good idea.

Once again, the answer to your question is in Pivotools. There's no way in RageSpline to scale points relative to a given center.

In a word: yes.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions guys!

30. mrsquare

mrsquare

Bump! :)

Hey guys - now that 4.3 is out, any update on your plans for integrating the new 2D physics systems with RageSpline?

31. Millipede

Millipede

^and to add to the above question, any word on when RageSpline will be updated to support the changes in 4.3. I'm seeing warnings for obsolete methods to do with the undo system along with some editor window related methods, here's a few of the warnings:

Assets/_Freakow/RageSpline/Editor/RageSplineEditor.cs(83,42): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.LookLikeInspector()' is obsolete: `LookLikeControls and LookLikeInspector modes are deprecated.'

Assets/_Freakow/RageSpline/Editor/RageSplineEditor.cs(243,30): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.Undo.CreateSnapshot()' is obsolete: `Use
    Undo.RecordObject instead'

Assets/_Freakow/RageSpline/Editor/RageSplineEditor.cs(244,30): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.Undo.RegisterSnapshot()' is obsolete: `Use Undo.RecordObject instead'

Assets/_Freakow/RageSpline/Editor/TransformInspector.cs(30,18): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.Undo.RegisterUndo(UnityEngine.Object, string)' is obsolete: `Use Undo.RecordObject instead'

Anyone know if RageSpline will continue to work with the obsolete methods anyway (until the functionality is completely stripped)?

32. zephyr7

zephyr7

According to the store page this is compatible with Unity 3.5, but when imported in Unity 3.5 it crashes the Project with a Fatal Error, the one that usually happens when you try putting a Unity 4 asset in Unity 3.5 (Fatal Error! type == kMetaAssetType pathName.find ("library/metadata") != 0).

Can you please provide a link to a version that works with Unity 3.5?

33. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Zephyr, this might be a problem with the Asset Store packaging, their support for 3.5 is getting slimmer and slimmer. I'll send you a properly 3.5-compatible package.

Talking of which, there are enough differences now from Unity 3.5 and Unity 4.3 that, to properly support (as in remove warnings, add extra animation features, etc) 4.3 we'll have to drop Unity 3.5 support.

Hence, the current RageSpline/RageTools/RageTools Pro releases will be the last ones compatible with Unity 3.5. Make your back ups if you're still working on a Unity 3.5 project.

PS.: Please note that the current releases do works fine in Unity 4.3, except for some annoying issues with RageText. We're working on it.

34. vicenterusso

vicenterusso

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi there. I was curious if RageSpline would be appropriate for creating a map with smoother coastlines like this:

My main concern is that most of the art with RageSpline is more "flat", while this has a certain amount of texture both on the land and in the water. But I figure there might be some kind of scripting solution that might allow a complex vector of the land interact with a texture to create a more natural-looking grass. (Mainly ignoring the mountains and trees for now.)

36. monkeypit

monkeypit

It was about three years ago we were starting our game using ragespline. I just wanted to share the game we made using it. It's a great tool and was perfect for the game we made. Thank you.

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

38. monkeypit

monkeypit

Thank you Hippocoder. It's a mash up style game. If you like action, tower defense and physic mayhem you may like it. Its fun to finally see it done. We're looking into adding more features and modes to the game as well as making an android version.

39. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

How would I go about adding a 2D polygon collider to all paths that are generated by a SVG import? I feel that manually going to the hierachy and setting all the physics options for each spline is not the right way of going about it.