Search Unity

QUIC in Unity

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by aaaunity705, Dec 14, 2019.

1. aaaunity705

aaaunity705

Hi, just wondering if there are any plans for Unity to support QUIC?

2. MrsPiggy

MrsPiggy

Is QUIC even finalized in terms of specs?
    I don't think we're there yet. Would be cool though.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Are you trying to create a high performance web browser in Unity? Otherwise, I'm not really clear on the use case, as the feature set of QUIC doesn't seem that ideal for a real time networked game.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  4. nxrighthere

nxrighthere

It depends on the implementation, there're a lot of them and not necessarily they strictly follow the current standards which open opportunities to such features as: partial reliability, unreliable transmission, various pluggable congestion control algorithms, and so on.

QUIC is also eventually might become a backend protocol for WebRTC data channels and replace SCTP (Google is experimenting in that direction, but partial reliability is not standardized yet, which is one of the blockers). So yea, it's pretty suitable for real-time data if you know how to utilize a particular implementation of it.

Joe-Censored and MrsPiggy like this.
  5. MrsPiggy

MrsPiggy

One of the interesting aspects of QUIC (that might help gaming) is that it could support the next-gen websocket (let's say websocket 2.0) by providing low-latency UDP transport. I remember this was an idea floating around some time ago, among others, but I don't know if there're actual plans to implement it.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. aaaunity705

aaaunity705

It's what HTTP3 is built on, so it will be required at some point for HTTP3 to function. It is also a much better solution than TCP for game networking without writing your own implementation from scratch on top of UDP.

It's basically TCP 2.0.

No it's not finalised but many of the big players (Google, Apple, Cloudflare, Amazon, FB etc) already have libraries for it and is used by more than half of all connections from the Chrome web browser to Google's servers.

7. Blarp

Blarp

it'd be nice to get raw socket connects