Search Unity

Official Quests and Scenario

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by ChemaDmk, Jan 19, 2021.

1. shuttle127

shuttle127

Just trying to help with the chop chop.

Earlier in that linked thread we were trying to discuss how we know the recipe is a winner or not, and what I took from it is "there's no time to have Hamlet submit more than 1 recipe," and for those that do, who wants to replay because they did it wrong? Isn't that something we were trying to avoid earlier in this thread? I understand player autonomy and all, trying to work within the context of the scope card.

Ideally each key ingredient quest could be done out of order, or better yet, have multiple KI1-4 paths with different winning recipes, but we definitely don't have time/resources for that.

Sounds like the Desserter character is still the end-all-be-all, regardless of the backstory.

This approaches the 10 characters I originally envisioned (Hamlet, Phoenix Chick, Bard Hare, Gourmando (previously suggested long-term quest giver), Fry King (current/suggested long-term quest giver), and the 4 key ingredient quest-givers), and I don't think we can get away with less or else the town/island will feel empty. I agree that the first step is to make any extra kitchen chefs only be there for flavor with only 1 or 2 lines, just not sure how else we cut down on it all.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  2. calculus7

calculus7

Of course! Glad to hear you thoughts. Hope my previous post didn't seem like nitpicking...it wasn't intended that way.

I agree, but I still don't think this is what is being proposed here. At the end of the game, we do only present 1 recipe. We did discuss being able to submit another recipe if you accidentally submitted the wrong one. Is that what you're referring to?

But maybe you're right about exceeding scope with wrong / right recipe paths. We'll just have to wait to hear back from the core team about this.

Earlier in the thread, I suggested that the player should avoid a full playthrough if the wrong recipe is submitted. But I think if the player submits the wrong recipe, they have either purposefully avoided the main story or they were invested enough in the cooking mechanic to experiment and make the wrong dish. In either case, I think the player would have enough reason to play through the game again.

The 4 key ingredient quest-givers include the Bard Hare and Gourmando (the Saucier). The scenario that I laid out in my previous post is consistent with the diagram in the Miro board that @itsLevi0sa created...just added a bit of flavor on top. So the four key characters are: Bard Hare, Gourmando (Saucier), Baker, and Desserter. Hamlet, the Phoenix Chick, Bard Hare, and the Fry King are givens...they pretty much have to be included. So this scenario really just adds three characters.

Also, in the scenario described in my previous post, I think probably Bard Hare would be the long term quest giver. He's the first character that Hamlet meets, and is the first one to lead Hamlet on the path to discover the winning recipe.

Smurjo and itsLevi0sa like this.
  3. shuttle127

shuttle127

Not at all, and apologies for responding point for point before, just wanted to make sure we've got the players in the right places before I start down the road of making any more songs, especially because I think we should include a victory song in the final cutscene.

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  4. Smurjo

Smurjo

And the scope card says:
    "We aim to produce interesting gameplay to fill an experience that can vary between 10-20 minutes of play."

So I think the most sensible thing is to actually measure the time things take. We might start with the shortest path straight to the winning recipy, aiming for about 10-12 minutes. I would rather have it a little longer in the first attempt. Knowing which parts take how long would enable us to shorten comparably dull parts, e.g. by teleporting, placing NPCs somewhere else or giving the player ingredients instead of having to collect them. Shortening dull parts I consider preferable to inserting dull parts in case things go to fast. Then to get to the 20 minutes we will need 2-3 distractions assuming they take about 3 to 5 minutes each.

We are BTW on a good way to this. From the whiteboxing videos I made I know you can have a walk visiting all scenes within 10 minutes without teleporting.

5. ChemaDmk

ChemaDmk

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone !
    Thanks again for your participation in this thread and in finding the core story. I tried to stay within the scope and to keep the gameplay as short as possible while still having the same scenario than the one you proposed.
    Here's a link to the list quests

And here's a small text describing it :

We start with a cinematic of the pig approaching the beach.
    Once arriving there we trigger the tutorial : All the tutorial steps are ordered and need to be executed one after the other.
    First step of the tutorial explains the movements controls.
    On the beach, the pig moves around until he finds the Bard hare near a pot, preparing sweet cream.
    There’s of course a dialogue between the two of them, introducing the island, talking about the recipe the hare is preparing, and asking for help to get some seeds for the recipe .
    The bard asks for help because the cream needs a certain temperature to be prepared, and the hare can’t move away from the pot.
    The pig goes to get the ingredient, but there’s a critter that he needs to fight. That triggers the second step of the tutorial. Explaining the controls to fight.
    The Critter drops the seeds that the one that the bard is looking for. The third step of the tutorial continues by telling the player to bring back the ingredient to the bard.
    When bringing back the ingredient to the bard, the bard offers his old recipe as a reward, and explains how to cook it.
    4th step : Cooking tutorial.
    When the cooking is done a cinematic starts playing : The chick sneezes on the pot that has the sweet cream and makes it rock candy
    The rock candy become a pickable, and is added to the inventory, with its recipe.
    End of the tutorial.

Something from what the bard hare says sends us to the glade
    There we meet a townsfolk and discuss the competition with them.
    We get some hints to cook a salty dish because that’s what the fry chef likes.
    A cinematic of a slime critter attack starts.
    The townsfolk asks for our help to fight those critters.
    Fight the critters, when all critters are defeated they drop an item (utensil) that was stuck inside their body.
    When we go back to the townsfolk, they’re impressed about the utensil, and gives us a recipe for a dough that can only be cooked with that utensil and a mysterious egg.

Somewhere after (or before, both quests are independent) we meet a character that starts a discussion about a salty dish they know.
    They asks us to help them find an ingredient for that dish
    The ingredient is a critter egg that only exists in a cave .
    We find two of the ingredient and come back to the character
    The character is happy, they give us the recipe, and we keep the other ingredient.

Move to town
    Once arriving to town, we enroll to the competition
    This will be a cinematic that shows us enrolling.
    we also find the bard hare
    They sing us a song about an awesome chef that specializes in desserts and that lives in the forest

An interaction with any other character would send us to the forest for some pepper to
    spice up their sauce
    They promise us a tip that will help us achieve our goal of being the best chef
    Getting the pepper item will be hard.
    We need to move to the forest
    Look for the pepper
    Find the desserter
    Discuss sweet dishes with them
    Present the rock candy recipe
    The desserter is impressed
    They give us an information about the golden egg, that’s the sweetest ingredient in the island
    We ask about the pepper, the desserter tells us that they have some
    They give us the pepper, and we find the sweet dish recipe in our inventory.

The golden egg is in the mountain.
    We can either go to the mountain to get the golden egg and prepare the sweet dessert or go back to the townsfolk that asked for the pepper.
    When we give the townsfolk the pepper they give us a recipe for a spicy pepperoni pizza

The final recipes that we can propose are :

Sweet
    • Golden egg
    • Special utensil
    • Crushed Rock candy

Salty
    • Pepper
    • Special utensil
    • Critter egg (from the cave)

The sweet recipe is the winning recipe
    The salty recipe is the losing recipe

When interacting with the fry chef, if we have both dishes, then we choose what to give them, if we have only one dish then we chose to give them that one, or to look again, if we don’t have any dish, they ask us what we want.

Please give us your feedbacks ! Tell us if you feel we could improve while keeping the 20 minute gameplay we discussed.
    We'll open the dialogue thread, once the quests are decided.

calculus7 and itsLevi0sa like this.
  6. Smurjo

Smurjo

So we are dropping the idea of the golden rock critters being an endangered species? The idea was that the rock candy could be used instead of the golden egg. Thereas - being the bad guy - the player would use the golden egg in the salty recipy like this:

Sweet

Critter egg (from the cave)
    Special utensil
    Crushed Rock candy

Salty

Pepper
    Special utensil
    Golden egg

calculus7 and itsLevi0sa like this.
  7. shuttle127

shuttle127

#TeamBardHare approves this message!

calculus7 likes this.
  8. calculus7

calculus7

Thank you, @ChemaDmk for all the work you've done to get this story to fit within scope. The effort is appreciated.

Referencing @Smurjo's suggestion above, I think we could modify the story slightly by giving three final recipe options...I've also included the Dough since in the recipes since I think that'll be needed as well, correct?:

Sweet - Version 1 (non-preferred winning recipe)
    • Golden Egg
    • Dough
    • Special Utensil
    • (note: Rock Candy is not needed since Golden Egg is already sweet)
    Sweet - Version 2 (preferred winning recipe)
    • Critter Egg (from the cave)
    • Dough
    • Special Utensil
    • Rock Candy (replaces sweetness of Golden Egg)
    Salty (losing recipe)
    • Pepper
    • Dough
    • Special Utensil
    • Critter Egg (from the cave) or Golden Egg
    Both Versions 1 and 2 of the Sweet recipe would win the game, but would slightly change the ending cutscene. Maybe if the game is won using Version 2 of the Sweet recipe, the Desserter would be present in the celebration of the ending cutscene and maybe there could be some outro text just before the credits explaining (kinda like a "where are they now" montage that appears after some movies) that you did the right thing by not using the Golden Egg, which has allowed the Golden Rock Critters to replenish their numbers. If instead Version 1 of the Sweet recipe is used, the Player still wins the game, but the Desserter is not present in the final cutscene (to be clear, the cutscene is the exact same in both Versions 1 and 2, but the Desserter is either present (2) or not (1)). And the outro text for using Version 1 of the Sweet recipe would just say something like the Desserter and Fry King never again joined forces given their disagreement over the use of the Golden Egg.

This shouldn't add any time at all and allows us to throw in some story and replayability. I can make a custom Timeline track that will either display or not display the Desserter based on some in-game state like a GOLDEN_EGG_USED boolean.

itsLevi0sa and Smurjo like this.
  9. BrettHuang

BrettHuang

Hello all,
    Hello team,
    Hello @ChemaDmk ,

When I try to use the quest system to add a new quest, it seems hard to see the big picture and be aware of what I am doing. Also, it’s time-consuming if I have to run the game and test the quest and fix the mistakes back and forth.

So here I introduce my contribution to the quest system: QuestEditorWindow.
    Here is the design:
    QuestEditorWindow_Preview.gif

It’s pretty straight forward, I just try to put together all the information.
    The most important part is to preview the whole quest with all the steps before running the game. It will save us a lot of time.

Hope it helps and I would like to make a pull request if this design got approved.
    Thank you!

10. ChemaDmk

ChemaDmk

Unity Technologies

Thank you so much for this contribution ! I was planning on doing something similar as well, but didn't get the chance to do it !

Did you open a PR request that I can check and add to the project?

cirocontinisio likes this.
  11. BrettHuang

BrettHuang

I just did. It's pull request #393:
    https://github.com/UnityTechnologies/open-project-1/pull/393

Please review my 'basic-level' codes..:Do_O

12. ChemaDmk

ChemaDmk

Unity Technologies

Hey @BrettHuang small update about the Quest tool : We've added a remove button and an AddDialogue button to add some dialogues.
    It's still can be optimized, but for now it's perfect to create the Questline.

BrettHuang likes this.
  13. ChemaDmk

ChemaDmk

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone ! We've finally implemented all the questlines, quests, and very temporary dialogue in the project. You can find the scriptable objects in the projects and display them in the Quest Tool. You can find the quest tool under ChopChop>QuestEditorWindow
    Quest Tool.PNG
    The quest tool contains all the questlines of the game. And once a quest is selected, a preview of that quest will be displayed in the Preview section.
    Quest Tool Preview.PNG

We've tried to translate what was prototyped with the community and put in the Miro board into quests and steps, so we could create the temporary dialogue and start crafting the story.
    If you find we've missed on something in the quests please inform us in this thread.
    The next step now is to decide on the dialogue and narrative here.

itsLevi0sa likes this.