Search Unity

Third Party [Question] Photon bolt or Sockets class?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by r31o, Sep 21, 2021.

?

Photon Bolt or Socket class?

1. Bolt

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Socket class

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. r31o

r31o

I want to make multiplayer game, but Idk what networking framework to use. Tom Weilands networking solution uses System.Net.Sockets and is server-sided but it has some problems:
    -I need somewhere to host the server.
    -I cant have multiplae matches at once.

At the same time, Photon bolt looks very good having:
    -Authoritative movement (how?)
    -I dont need to host the server, since the players are servera.
    -All the matches I want (but a maximun CCU)

What I should choose? I know how to use Toms networking solution, but bolt offers me very interesting things, even if i dont know how to use it(but there are tutorials, so isin't a problem)

2. digiross

digiross

The new multiplayer from the Photon devs is called Fusion and it will be one of the big boys to beat.

3. r31o

r31o

I dont see any documentation from fusion or tutorials, and the power bolt offers me is enough.

4. tobiass

tobiass

Be careful to not compare apples to oranges. The Socket API is a completely different layer than (because you named it) Bolt. The better networking solutions are no longer about sending messages. That you can do with sockets, yes. But Bolt and Fusion have a lot of APIs and tools to solve in-game problems and sync the state.

Fusion docs are not complete but the Discord community will help fill the gaps. A tutorial is in the making.

5. r31o

r31o

Ok, but what is better?
    I know how to use the sockets class, but I think bolt has a lot to offer me.

6. tobiass

tobiass

What is better: Unity or Vulkan?
    It depends on what you want to do. If you want to do a lot of low level stuff, use Sockets and figure out their use and pitfalls. If you are not into that but want to start on a higher level, don't use Sockets.

7. r31o

r31o

I want to do a multiplayer fps with rooms of 10 players (maby later I expand it to 15 or 20, not sure).
    It will be a deathmatch in solo/teams and maby capture the flag or other modes like the main gamemode of Valorant.
    The target platform is PC, but maby I will expand it to movile, even Playstation or Xbox if I'm lucky (if it is good enough and they accept it).
    So, with that said what is the best option for me: Bolt or Socket?
    Or maby a third one?

8. r31o

r31o

BTW, Im reading the photon bolt tutorials on the website (both beginner and advanced) and I think I'm going to choose bolt.
    The tutorials (mostly the advanced one), are very good, and Im starting to understand all the logic behaind bolt.

9. r31o

r31o

OK, I think I'm going to use Photon Bolt, just one question: In the tutorias, you see yourself as two arms holding a gun, but the others are also two arms holding a gun, I need a way to see myself as two arms holding a gun, but the others as a body.
    I need a way to have the local player (You) and the other players different.
    If i find a solution for this I will use bolt.
    Please help.