Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Qualcomm Augmented Reality

Discussion in 'Android' started by Guimo, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Guimo

Guimo

Is the Qualcomm AR SDK integrated and available for Unity Android?

2. Wozik

Wozik

No, Qualcomm internally uses Unity for their AR SDK, but it is a separate product. Feel free to experiment with it and share results =)

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

Good to know ;)

4. Bren

Bren

Looks like an SDK is out, but no sign of Unity support. What's the word on this?

5. Wozik

Wozik

Perhaps there will be some news on Unite? :p

6. KITT

KITT

Like.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Aside of the realization that it will be darn cold ;-)

8. ksiva

ksiva

The Qualcomm AR Unity extension is out! It is now available on the Unity Asset Store, or on our online portal (with additional samples): http://ar.qualcomm.com

Enjoy!

- Kim

9. Peter Hou

Peter Hou

Does this only work for Android or is it also iOS compatible?

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

Its Android only (uses java)

As its a Qualcomm AR thingy, it might at worst not even work on the Galaxy S as that does not use a Qualcomm CPU, don't have a galaxy s to comment on that

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  11. shinobu_siv

shinobu_siv

Does anyone run it on NexusOne with Android 2.2 ?
    When I try, the application seemed to run but I just get blinking screen.

12. Claytonious

Claytonious

It doesn't with for me either on nexus one with froyo (either blinking colors on screen or full crash.) Always crashes on Samsung Vibrant but I expect that until 2.2 is released (known unity issue).

Tried tweaking all settings such as "optimize for speed" on the ARCamera but nothing helped. Tried with their sample trackables as well as my own and neither helped - still either blinking or crashing or both but no camera image either way.

Will try it from windows and see if that makes any difference.

13. dlb

dlb

Does anyone run it on NexusOne with Android 2.2 ?

Yes. I've run it successfully.

Have you confirmed whether your QCAR build environment is set-up correctly? For instance, can you run the QCAR samples using Eclipse or another IDE?

14. lesfundi

lesfundi

when i run my project on my google nexus 1 the screen flickers and the video is screwed up. What can I do to make it work correcty?
    It is because my target image is not a good one?

15. lesfundi

lesfundi

i changed setting on the camera to speed instead of quality and now is it running very good. :)

16. Aron

Aron

Does anyone know if this will run on the Hummingbird processor, or is it snapdragon only right now? Planning on picking up a Nexus S tomorrow, and just want to make sure it will work.

17. Dan Fury

Dan Fury

It'll probably work in the future, but I don't know if it already does now.

18. ksiva

ksiva

Beta 2 of the Qualcomm AR Unity extension is now available. This update fixes a number of bugs and adds support for MultiImage targets and Virtual Buttons. We're in the process of submitting the update to the Unity Asset Store, but in the meanwhile you can download the beta with samples from our website: http://ar.qualcomm.com

A running list of Supported Devices is also available on the home page there. We will be adding additional devices throughout the beta, so keep an eye on that.

Finally, if you have any questions about the QCAR extension please come ask them in our forums: http://ar.qualcomm.com/qdevnet/forums

Thanks, and enjoy!

- Kim

19. Tomo-Games

Tomo-Games

I did a quick test following the Getting Started section for Unity 3. The Galaxy S didn't load my test applicaton using Froyo. The load screen blinks a couple of times and then exits.

I guess it can also be said that under SDK LINKS -> Supported Devices there aren't any samsung devices named for Beta 2. Someone says they got it to work but it's a bit of a hack. I posted the table below as a screen shot since previous posts of this probably didn't look right...

$QualcommARSupportedDevices.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  20. ksiva

ksiva

If you have upgraded your Unity editor to 3.2 you will need to apply a patch to each of your QCAR applications to get them to run. The patch can be found on this site, look for QCAR-Unity-3-2-Patch.zip in the Unity section: http://ar.qualcomm.com

Unzip this file and import QCAR-Unity-3-2-Patch.unitypackage into each of your existing QCAR Unity projects. Documentation is included in the zip.

21. minevr

minevr

only support android?

22. DavidB

DavidB

Does anyone know if Qualcomm AR SDK supports PC/Mac? (Aka input from a webcam?) or is this only for Android? Really cool SDK btw!

23. Fenyx4

Fenyx4

It only works on Android. Sorry to disappoint.

24. DavidB

DavidB

Meh it's still incredible :D

25. ksiva

ksiva

Greetings to the fabulous Unity community!

We're happy to announce that the QCAR beta period has come to a successful end, and the full-fledged QCAR Unity Extension has been released! You can now build Augmented Reality Unity applications with the latest QCAR 1.0 extension, and you are free to distribute, market, and promote these applications.

We've submitted the QCAR Extension to the Asset Store, but in the meanwhile you can download the latest from our website, including sample applications: http://ar.qualcomm.com

Don't hesitate to ask questions in our forums: http://ar.qualcomm.com/qdevnet/forums

Finally, for any of our beta users out there I'd like to thank you for your participation and point you to a guide for upgrading your existing QCAR Beta 2 Unity applications to the 1.0 release: http://ar.qualcomm.com/arforums/showthread.php?t=420

Enjoy!

- Kim

26. muhammadgyan

muhammadgyan

I try to build qcar samples from unity3.3..but my device get an error..i have samsung galaxy mini ( OS 2.2 )..can someone help solve my problem??

27. KarelA

KarelA

Can you describe your error? Do you have problems when you build your solution?

28. muhammadgyan

muhammadgyan

sorry, i get no error..but every time i build the app, and start my application on my device..my device vibrate three times and back to the home screen..

29. KarelA

KarelA

Not sure what may cause this. If you want you can upload your apk file somewhere and PM me the link. I then could try the same app in my HTC Desire. If your app works on my phone then at least you know that the problem lies somewhere else.

EDIT: I just realized that samsung Galaxy mini is not on a Qualcomm support list. Probably cpu is to weak to run an augmented reality app.

https://ar.qualcomm.com/qdevnet/ Look at the bottom you see a Supported_Devices.pdf

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  30. Dreamora

Dreamora

The problem with the Galaxy Mini etc is that they are not using Qualcomm CPUs. The Qualcomm AR only supports Qualcomm CPUs and Samsung does not use them as Samsung is an ARM CPU developer and builder itself (which by the way builds all iOS CPUs so not some small fish)

Currently, new Qualcomm based devices are primarily HTC which focus exclusively on Qualcomm. LG toggles between NVIDIA and TI, Samsung is just Samsung (though they have a galaxy s2 spinoff on tegra2, the I9103, due to processor yield limitations it seems) and what Motorola seems to build up around Tegra2 too

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  31. muhammadgyan

muhammadgyan

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  32. KarelA

KarelA

Yep it has Qualcomm 600MHz Processor. Sorry but it seems that this cpu is too weak for QCAR at the moment.

33. Dreamora

Dreamora

the Qualcomm AR addon capabilities were added with Snapdragon, anything older (like the MSM7 or simply any pre ARMV7 cpu) will not work with it. They lack the cpu power to pull it off

34. android_dev

android_dev

testing Qualcomm + Unity on a Samsung Nexus S:

(click for video)

easy to setup and great performance. Marker detection is pretty solid! Great add-on for unity3d! Looking forward to use it in other projects