Search Unity

QoS Channel Problem - Reliable Fragmented Sequenced

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by l3fty, Jan 9, 2018.

1. l3fty

l3fty

Hi folks, I'm having an issue with the Reliable Fragmented Sequenced channel. It does not seem to enjoy the higher message size that the Reliable Fragmented channel has. I had a bit of a search but couldn't see anyone with a similar problem. Is this QoS type a half-implemented UNET feature I wonder? Or am I missing a way to specify the maximum message size? I was hoping to benefit from guaranteed sequencing of these messages but may have to find another solution.

QoSTypeProblem.jpg

Also I'm on Unity 2017.2.0p3, and these messages send just fine on channel 2 (Set to Reliable Fragmented) albeit occasionally out of order.

Has anyone seen this before? If not I'll pop a bug report in.
    Thanks.

2. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

This doesn't seem to be complete yet looking at the 2017.3 source. It looks like they simply forgot to include the new QoS channels in the NetworkConnection.IsSequencedQoS and NetworkConnection.IsReliableQoS helper methods. It should be a simple fix included in a patch soon!

Edit: Looks like they took the BitBucket source repository down...
    Edit2: I guess it's back up now! Perhaps just a BitBucket issue.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Probably needs a bug filed to get fixed.

4. l3fty

l3fty

Thanks Kyle that's a good find, I wouldn't have know where to look in the repo.
    I'll pop in a bug report and see what they say.

KyleOlsen likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Did this ever get filed? I don't see it yet in the issue tracker.

6. l3fty

l3fty

Hi Joe, I have filed a report and have an issue number but no response so far.

7. Ellernate

Ellernate

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Thanks. I only asked because I'm currently using Reliable Fragmented Sequenced to send some serialized data and am thinking I should switch to Reliable Fragmented unless this issue is going to get a quick fix.

9. l3fty

l3fty

I think the max packet size is fine, as when using Reliable Fragmented the big messages get through unharmed. I'm avoiding RFS completely until I hear back from them, and actually thinking about how to handle sequencing myself or implementing another workaround.

10. Ladace

Ladace

I've encountered the same issue and found this post. It has remained unfixed these years... jesus

11. l3fty

l3fty

Yup, to be fair though they deprecated UNet a while back now. Personally I've switch to Mirror, which is a third party networking library built initially from the unity-released UNet source code (now with heaps of bug fixes and improvements).

12. Ladace

Ladace

Thanks. I'll check it out.