Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

problem with really blurry textures

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by thesimi, Mar 27, 2012.

1. thesimi

thesimi

Hi, I have never made a game of the size that I'm working on right now before, and I have ran in to some unexpected problems.

When I try to add textures to the game, it gets really blurry, it looks terrible. I have looked for an answer for a while now, but I just can't find anything that works. I have tried switching the texture mode to advanced, using different file formats (.jpg, .jpeg, .psd) and changing the export resolution, but I barely see any difference.

I think the problem might be that the object is to huge because I never have any problems with blurriness when I add textures to small objects (x2.56 y5.12), but when I try to add textures to the larger objects (x26 y15), it suddenly gets super blurry.

Is there anything I can do along the process to make the textures look better? Thanks a lot in advance!

TL;DR: adding textures to huge objects makes the textures blur out, is there anything I can do to make it look less like a nintendo64 game?

PS: I use gimp to make the textures

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/pAuVC

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The source format has no effect at all, aside from the resolution. What matters are the import settings in Unity.

--Eric

3. thesimi

thesimi

Thanks man, that explains why most of the things I did in gimp didn't seem to have any effect at all.

What import settings should I be using to make the image crisper? I use an orthographic camera, is there anything different I have to take into consideration because of that? Anything more I should know, I'm still really new to materials and textures.

4. cjow

cjow

You need to change the texture/atlas import settings.

1. Select your texture/atlas
    2. In the drop down menu at the top go to advanced
    3. Play around with turning mip mapping and and off (depending on your texture size), filter mode, ansio level and format.

Do that until you're happy with the level of compression and amount of filtering. Here are some links explaining ansiotropic filtering and mip mapping. Hope that helps.

EDIT: As to specific settings it depends on the kind of game you're making and what platform you're making it for.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    rkylem likes this.
  5. thesimi

thesimi

Thanks CJO, playing around with the settings makes it better

but

Just tried to use a larger image, and everything seems crisper. I am trying to play around with the settings to make it seem even more crisp. The only problem I have now is that the image seems insanely large, it's I use a 2600x1500 image for a 2.6x1.5 plane, is this really overkill or should it be like that (sorry for noob question, never had to deal with stuff like this before...)?

6. Screenhog

Screenhog

That's pretty large. How close are you zooming in on these objects?

For most cases, your in-game texture width and height should be a power of 2. (i.e. 256, 512, 1024, 2048).

7. thesimi

thesimi

I use orthographic camera and the size (zoom) is set to 4, what size should I use?

Here is a screenshot of the (untextured) game with measurements (x)x(y):

The measurements are how large the actual object is, not how much is showing on the screen

Edit: I have scaled the texture to 1024x1024 because 512x512 made it visibly blurrier. Is this still to large?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  8. Hwaus

Hwaus

Having the same problem with having to meddle with a lot of settings just to import a clear image. All I am trying to get the image onto is a plane. Resizing camera, resizing plane, changing camera from perspective to orthographic, changing advanced settings for the texture import, turning off compression, toggling mip map. All not producing a clear image. Unable to find documentation on a way to import textures and get it right. Wish there was a reasonable explanation.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  9. gateian

gateian

Just throwing this out there, but are you guys tiling your textures? have you modified the UVs on the model or is it one texture stretched across a large plane?

10. umair_hassan1991

umair_hassan1991

I was able to fix it by going into the Atlas texture made by NGUI and unchecking the option of "Generate Mip Maps"