Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem at opening the project for the first time

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by sorkoxd, Dec 19, 2018.

1. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

Ok i followed the Readme here https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/FPSSample .
    When i reach the part where i should be able to open the Project Tools Window i noticed that the top menu bar is not showing it as it should.
    First time i downloaded the project via Sourcetree and i thought my files may be currupted.
    I downloaded a new copy of Git for Windows and checked the box for LFS at the installation and i doublechecked if LFS is installed and it is.
    I cloned the repository without any warnings and errors. It is now 42.6GB in size.

Noting has changed the menu still isnt there.
    unity_screensnippet_00.PNG
    As this picture shows there are also a lot of errors listed.They are around the render pipeline and cinemaschine.
    If you need all the errors in the list tell me how to get the output in a file and i will upload it.

What i am doing wrong? How can i fix this?

2. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

I think that you use different version of Unity. The document says that:

sorkoxd likes this.
  3. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

Yes i noticed that before but in Unity Hub this is the only Beta i can download. Do i really need the b12 and if so how to get this version?

4. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

Im not sure but Unity 2018.3.0f2 should work.

5. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

unity_screensnippet_01.PNG
    So you think i should ignore this message?

6. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

No, you should cleanup and revert project then open Unity 2018.3. Downgrade step usually does not work well.

7. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

Ok and how i do cleanup and revert project? I never had to do that before.
    Is it enough to pull from git?

8. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

It is general git topic. If you are not familiar with git, simply delete entire project folder and re-clone it.

9. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

No i dont want to clone it again. Well iam not very good in using the git bash but i should be able too restore master.
    I used following commands:

git commit -a -m "backup version a12"

warning: LF will be replaced by CRLF in Assets/Shaders/Graphs/Backdrop/planet_Me
    nu.mat.
    The file will have its original line endings in your working directory
    warning: LF will be replaced by CRLF in Packages/manifest.json.
    warning: LF will be replaced by CRLF in ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt.
    [master ab0ab52] backup version a12
    8 files changed, 8 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)
    delete mode 100644 Assets/Materials/Particles/Weapons.meta
    delete mode 100644 Assets/_Test/JanusK/Scenes/Terrain_Test_A/Terrain_Test_A.met
    a
    delete mode 100644 Assets/_Test/MartinK.meta
    delete mode 100644 Packages/com.unity.postprocessing/Documentation/images/scree
    nshots.meta

git branch backup-a12

git fetch origin

git reset --hard origin/master
    HEAD is now at 1cfa3b0 Update to 10831

10. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

sorkoxd likes this.
  11. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

Ah thanks AggressiveMastery this is a helpfull hint. So i should not use the 2018.3.0f2 ? So far there are no errors in 0f2 occuring. Just to mention this, iam really confused about all these versions now. It might be good to update the readme with that link so others can also follow this without reading through the forum.

12. Soulice

Soulice

Where did you find 2018.3.0f2 ?? I have the b0# version and it complains of not being new enough and the Project Window only shows bootstrapper and nothing works.

13. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

2018.3.0f2 is the normal release. I noticed later there ideed are problems with 2018.3.0f2 that are not showing in 2018.3.0b12. Use the 2018.3.0b12.

14. Soulice

Soulice

Will do. now to figure out why nothing works nor matches the readme from github. lol

15. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

version 2018.3.0b12 is the 2018.3 beta 12 this is a match or isnt it?

16. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

The GitHub FPS Sample as of today, 12/20/2018 is version 2.0 which requires Unity 2018.3.0b12 (beta 12)
    Which can be downloaded via :
    But this link will allow you to download Unity 2018.3.0 B12 :
    https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/2018.3.0b12

That, plus all the same steps that the readme requires (reimporting models, and the first person scripts, and changing runtime .NET to 4.0, and heck, be sure lighting is set to real-time not pre-baked) should get you up and running on a current x64 CPU (i7 intels) nVidia GPU (im a 1080ti) and Windows 10 64bit updated fully.

That will load and compile the fps 2.0 sample, but once you get that, be sure you copy the whole project folder... so if something screws up, you can roll back manually instead of re-doing this again :O

You do not NEED the i7/1080ti/Windows10x64, that is just what I am running, so I am speaking to that set of hardware working fine... if you are comparable. I hear that if you are trying to run this on a MAC/OSX you may have additional issues getting it to load. I do not have a MAC/OSX so I cannot comment first hand..

gl hf
    Micah

17. Soulice

Soulice

Dang, followed it all and have Failed to load items in bottom status bar (...because it was serialized with a newer version of Unity) and Project Window only shows Bootstrapper with Open button.

In fact, there isnt even a Level_00 scene in the Scenes folder.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  18. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

how big is your cloned git repository?
    Did you open the Project using any other version? Especialy the 2019-1-0a12 .
    Because this version may break it and cause it to be serialized with a newer version.

If you ever opened it with the wrong version you should delete everything not belonging to the original git and you should restore to the remote master branch.

If you want to go the save way delete the whole folder and clone it again.

19. Soulice

Soulice

I actually downloaded the zip then opened the contents from Unity 2018.3.0b12 (beta 12)

Ok, all looks right, still no joy. arrghh, was really hoping to dig into this.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  20. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

The readme explicitely says that this will not work, literally.
    Quote: "IMPORTANT: This project uses Git Large Files Support (LFS). Downloading a zip file using the green button on Github will not work."

Follow the instructions get a version of git with LFS installed and clone the repository.

21. Soulice

Soulice

Thanks. Not a git user, so will need to figure that out.

22. sorkoxd

sorkoxd

oh that is easy because you dont need to know how to use git. Go to gitforwindows.org and download it.
    Open the installer, acept license agreement and then you should be able to select the components you need. I would recommend you check the boxes for git bash and the git LFS at least.

than open your folder for your unity projects or go where ever you want the project repository to appear.
    Do a rightclick somewhere inside the folder and use the git bash here function or open the git bash and navigate to that directory in there.

Now your git bash should show something like
    Username@Devicename MINGW64 /your/path/to/folder

Type in
    git clone "url"
    and replace the url with the one you found at the project git hub.
    should look simmilar to this:
    git clone "https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/FPSSample.git"

Then hit enter and the clone process will start.

When it is done check the size of the repository it should have a size of over 40GB on disc.
    If this is the case you should be done with downloading.

SteveHinan and AnthonyWolf like this.