Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Prime31 Plugins... The Good and the Bad

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WermHat, Oct 16, 2013.

1. prime31

prime31

@jerotas, Unity's GameCenter implementation is very limited. You don't gain full access to the underlying API. It's perfectly fine if all you need is dead simple leaderboards and achievements but for any moderate to advanced implementation you have to go with a plugin.

2. mokko6

mokko6

I think it would be beneficial to have a public or paid-members-only forum as well as providing tiered paid support plans. If there is a looming deadline for a non-trivial task, then the money for support should be worth it for all parties involved, and a public/members-only forum creates a community of similar users who may be encountering similar problems.

3. jerotas

jerotas

Ok Prime, thanks. I'll look into if we would benefit from the other Game Center features.

4. prime31

prime31

@mokko, we do have a tiny paid support program that currently only encompasses "The Big Boys" that can't be spoken about. As for making a lower level system that is definitely an option worth thinking about...

@jerotas, assuming your initials are BH then check your email for a Christmas/hanukkah/NewYears/WhateverYouCelebrate present. Give the API a look and compare it to the built in stuff and you'll see why many folks like to use the extra features. My personal favorites that get used the most are challenges and associating a context with any score (super handy for replays and linking up to a website).

5. jerotas

jerotas

I got the email Prime. Thank you for the gift, we will definitely use it! Challenges are cool.

6. goaway

goaway

I have used about 6 Prime31 plugins. I have to say that they are great. The example scenes make implementing features a breeze. With that being said there documentation sometimes lacks how to deal with the objects the callbacks receive. Though its not hard to debug to see whats inside them.

Support can definitely be a bit rude at times. Updating is also a bit of a pain as they often changed how something works or the information that is sent back. Again not hard to fix just a bit annoying to update then realize you have to fix a few functions.

Either way, I would highly recommend Prime31 stuff. Just be aware that you may have to do a bit of digging if you have trouble. I would still say you have to be a programmer to use them to their full extent. Of course their is nothing wrong with that, just saying.

7. prime31

prime31

@goaway, just in case you weren't aware of it the release notes page and RSS feed is available here: http://prime31.com/releaseNotes Any time there are breaking changes of any kind they will be listed in the release notes.

8. joshskelton

joshskelton

Does anybody here have good resources for tutorials on setting up their iCloud plugin and using it in Unity?

9. cheesemaster

cheesemaster

their IAP Combo plugin uses an old version of Google's Billing Libraries which will no longer be permitted on Android within app updates after NOV 2021. This still hasn't been addressed yet P31 say they will release a fix a couple of months before the deadline, if you are prepared to spend another $110 on refreshing the license which expires every couple of years. You can get the same functionality for free with Unity's own IAP system, which also boils down to when to call less than five functions. They got their system up to Google's standard a year or so ago and that seems to be the way forward in terms of IAP.