Search Unity

Post Processing Stack for the Unity package creators?

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by cristims, Sep 19, 2018.

1. cristims

cristims

Last time I tried to upload a unity package to the Asset Store I got refused and the reason was that I cannot upload the free Post Processing Stack together with the package so that the users can unpack it, hit play, and see the environment as it should, with all the shaders in place.

Since then I kind of gave up on Unity as I have no time and frankly, with all the updates, and the complete lack of asset integration tools this is far less profitable than any of my other marketplaces.

That being said, some of my customers ask me "why does the camera show purple screen after hitting play" or "why do I get some strange "post processing shaders" errors" and such.

I told them the reason why, and how to disable the old effect, and if they can, to add the new stack from the Asset Store... most of them give up btw.

The only conclusion is to upgrade the packs to the new stack workflow... but the Asset Store refused my upgrade as I stated before.

Can we now use the free Post Processing Stack in our packages or the situation is the same and we either publish horrible ugly packages or just give up?
    And, when will the Post Processing Stack be INTEGRATED into Unity, as it was before, so that both us, the package creators and our users can see the same effects in place?

To ask about any kind of backwards compatibly is too much, so if someone can answer to those two questions that will be super.

Thank you.

2. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

The post processing stack is now available in the Package Manager. Users can install that and other packages required from that.

I am making an asset now that will require the user to install 5 packages from the package manager just to compile.
    If I included any of those in the asset it would be more problems since users might have it installed already or included with another asset.

hippocoder likes this.
  3. cristims

cristims

But the users know that the project needs those packages? And they all know how to install it?
    Also, if they don't install it, they gonna get an error as before?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Package manager pulls in dependencies automatically.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It was never integrated in Unity. You always needed a unity package if you were aware or not. Package manager is the same end result as integrated, except it also avoids duplicates. It is 100% better in every single way and it's how Unity are making Unity going forward. Packages.

6. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Yes, it does for its own packages. But you can not define a dependency for an asset you install from the asset store.
    It would be great to be able to add dependencies like that.

hippocoder likes this.
  7. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Yes. You will need to make an install guide and it will give errors if not followed

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This needs addressing, and I have poked Unity in the 2018.3 beta forum in a relevant thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/packages-missing.554473/#post-3693403

Kronnect likes this.
  9. cristims

cristims

So, if I go back now, update my packs, use the new Post Process Stack, without packing that inside my asset pack, the customers can install them and use them out of the box or not?

Is about the asset packages, not unity projects.