Search Unity

Post Processing blurs image using VR

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by DanDan_VrMAN, Sep 2, 2019.

1. DanDan_VrMAN

DanDan_VrMAN

Hi,
    I'm using Unity 2019.2 with Unity's Post Processing 2.0. All is updated.
    Using HTC Vive pro, with SteamVR.
    When I turn on post processing, and there is not any effect turned on in it, or along side it
    (I mean that Antialiasing is off, and all post processing volumes are off)
    the image becomes a bit blurry.
    ( ** It's hard to see in the attached screenshots, but if you look closely you can see the blurriness.)
    Like there's an automatic bloom (or other) effect that effects the image.
    I would expect that turning on/off the post processing on the camera wouldn't make any effect on the image, if no effects are active.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Is there a way to fix this?
    Thanks,
    Dan withoutPost.jpg WithPost.jpg

2. snobalpaul

snobalpaul

Same here.
    Looks like the only options we have is to switch to LWRP, or revert back to 2018.x.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/pos...r-or-trigger-or-volume-makes-vr-blury.724655/
    Neither of these is an option for us, so just not using Unity's Post Processing, instead going with Amplify Bloom + Amplify Color, but the lack of AA is a deal breaker - either need to use forward rendering with MSAA or embrace those jaggies :(

3. snobalpaul

snobalpaul

4. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

5. codestage

codestage

For those who will face this problem with Post Processing package version 2.3.0, the solution from the https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/issues/844 worked for me.

Unfortunately Issues was disabled for that GitHub repository but luckily cached version was saved:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c.../Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/issues/844

Here is a solution copy-pasted from the cached page with my additions in case it will fade away too:

1. Close Unity.
    2. Copy-paste Post Processing folder from the Library\PackageCache\com.unity.postprocessing@2.3 to the Assets folder.
    3. Remove Library\PackageCache\com.unity.postprocessing@2.3 folder.
    4. Remove line "com.unity.postprocessing": "2.3.0", from Packages/manifest.json
    5. Open file Assets\PostProcessing\Runtime\PostProcessLayer.cs
    6. Replace this line (line 627 in my case)

Code (CSharp):
    1. context.GetScreenSpaceTemporaryRT(m_LegacyCmdBuffer, tempRt, 0, sourceFormat, RenderTextureReadWrite.sRGB);
    with lines

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (!context.stereoActive)
    2.    context.GetScreenSpaceTemporaryRT(m_LegacyCmdBuffer, tempRt, 0, sourceFormat, RenderTextureReadWrite.sRGB);
    3. else
    4.    context.GetScreenSpaceTemporaryRT(m_LegacyCmdBuffer, tempRt, 0, sourceFormat, RenderTextureReadWrite.sRGB, FilterMode.Bilinear, context.width*2, context.height);
    7. Save changes and open project.

This fixed problem for me with such prerequisites:
    - Unity 2019.4.0f1
    - Legacy forward render
    - SteamVR with Single Pass stereo rendering mode

Redtail87 and hemcraft like this.
  6. MikeDaBird

MikeDaBird

Unfortunately, this did not fix it for me.... I tried all of the other methods found in other places to no avail either. Every time I get this bug, the only option to fix it is to completely restart the project from scratch (create a brand new project and reimport all of my assets, hoping nothing broke in the process) This really needs to be addressed soon, because that's a bug that existed since forever

7. CrisKakarico

CrisKakarico

I know what is the problem! Probabilly you have 2 cameras with the same post processing in the scene, all of you need it's just disable the post process of one camera