Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Possible bug or bad design] Game View is pitch black when editing UI prefabs

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Xtro, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Xtro

Xtro

Ok guys. I know I'm late to the nested prefabs party but here I am at last.

After a long break (while working on infrastructure stuff), now I'm back to UI development. I have extensive Unity UI experience but not including nested prefabs.

Now Unity tells me I have to edit prefab in the prefab edit mode. That's OK for me at some degree. I always edited my UI prefabs in an empty temporary scene anyways and prefab edit mode is very similar to that BUT....

When I'm in prefab edit mode, game view doesn't render the UI. It's just black. I can't depend on scene view when editing UI. I need to see the game view as before.

Please don't tell me Unity engineers and designers didn't think about that when implementing nested prefabs.

Do any of you guys have a solution/workaround for this problem?

Edit: When I had this problem, An empty black scene was loaded. I noticed that that's why I see black game view in prefab edit mode. If I have any other scene loaded, game view continues to render that scene during prefab edit mode. But the prefab I edit isn't included in the scene so I can't see it in game view. It's still a huge problem.