Search Unity

Please make android SDK downloadable without the hub

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Yukken, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Yukken

Yukken

I've been banging my head against this issue for a while day. I had to install unity 2019.1 without the hub because the it kept refusing to connect to the internet. After that I've been trying to install the android SDK but I can't find a way to do so. There is no way to add modules to unity installations that were installed without the hub. I can't use the hub to just download the SDK seperately either. The unity editor is always checked in the download box. The offline download assistant doesn't set up the android SDK. The SDK version isn't mentioned anywhere so I can't just download the latest version and be done. The manual page simply tells me to use unity hub aaand we are back to square one.

Honestly, every unity update has been a pain to migrate to but this one takes the cake. All I want is to make an android build.

2. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

The Android SDK is available in Visual Studio; maybe it can work with Unity?

Capture.JPG

3. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    if you can't use the Hub, the easiest would be to get the required components via Android Studio
    https://developer.android.com/studio
    You need then to make sure you have Android 9/28 SDK
    You also need Android NDK r16b (which can be found directly as well here: https://developer.android.com/ndk/downloads/older_releases.html)

Then follow instructions in the "Using an alternate Java Development Kit, Android SDK, or NDK" section of the doc https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/android-sdksetup.html
    to setup the correct path.

I hope this helps.

4. Yukken

Yukken

I'll try it out. Setting up android studio will be a pain but I guess I have no choice. Thanks.
    In the future, please make it possible to use the hub to download the SDK separately for the installation. Or make it work with the Download Assistant. It's not possible to pause a download when using the hub or see the download speed. This makes the hub useless if you happen to have an unreliable internet connection.

5. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

The Hub v2 offers that possibility.

Capture.JPG

6. Yukken

Yukken

That's only IF you installed 2019.1 through the hub. You can't add modules if you install it without the hub. You also CAN'T just download the SDK from the hub.

7. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

That how things work; you must now use the Hub to install and use Unity. Your download problems can probably be fixed.

8. Yukken

Yukken

I don't want to start a flame war here. Unity still provides a direct download for everything else. For whatever reason, they didn't include the SDK there. As I've mentioned again and again, the hub has connectivity problems. I've also seen other forum posts mentioning this. If they want to push the hub, that's fine. But there should always be alternatives

flowerrj123 and StudioZooka like this.
  9. lostplesed

lostplesed

i can't download latest version from unity hub, so i choose a older one. but the download progress bar never finished. so i download the lastest version from unity download archive web page.but when i open the editor. i can't download the android ndk from click a button (old version support). please add a simple download button, it will save a lot of works. thanks!

10. StudioZooka

StudioZooka

My Unity Hub 2.1 is not showing the option for Modules with the version 2019.1.6f1 but an older version (2018.2.4f1) have the option.

11. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

That's because you didn't install 2019.1.6f1 from the Hub but by using the usual installer. If you had installed it from the Hub, you would get the option.

Capture.JPG

safaGH likes this.
  12. Karsten

Karsten

This is rediculous, if you have for example Unity 2019.1.3 then it disapears in the hubs list of versions after a while when newer versions came up and you dont have a chance to add modules later, you eighter have to update your Unity always to the newest (a big challenge with this fast update cycles) or you fall behind.
    The whole "DevOps" Unity tries to present to us with all the services and hub ect is in a very brittle state these days, and I cant wait for the day when everything works together properly

flowerrj123 likes this.
  13. FURKANKAHVECI

FURKANKAHVECI

Every freakin time downloading android sdk&ndk module for every unity update. WHY? Unity hub is big ssd freaker...

14. Kiour_gr

Kiour_gr

Hello I am a technician for a university and would also be interested in a way of downloading the android sdk and ndk tools without the Hub. We used to install unity through SCCM (Microsoft's System Center Configuration Manager). We used to install unity automatically but now I need to do it manually on 100+ computers though the hub. :-(

15. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    you can still make offline installs and then build your scripts to install Unity, see https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.2/Documentation/Manual/InstallingUnity.html
    the installation of Android NDK/SDK is a convenience we provide, but you can decide to manage your own install
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Documentation/Manual/android-sdksetup.html
    Android NDK/SDK are downloaded from Google servers and require a license agreement (shown in the hub), so we won't include them in silent/offline installs scenarios.
    You can get Android NDK/SDK from https://developer.android.com/ and then build your own deployment configuration.

JC

AbrahamDUnity likes this.