Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Official PlayableGraph Visualizer package (in preview)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by RomainFailliot, Dec 21, 2018.

1. RomainFailliot

RomainFailliot

Unity Technologies

Hi all!

I took some time during my holidays to make a package out of the graph-visualizer GitHub repository (it was something I wanted to do for a long time! ;) ). I need some kind volunteers to test the package before it gets whitelisted.

For those who don't know yet what this project is, it is a tool that allow to visualize the Playable graphs that are running in the current scene. And you get something like that:

PlayableGraph Visualizer - screenshot 03.png

To test the package, open
    Packages/manifest.json
    in your Unity project, and add this line at the beginning of the "dependencies" property:

"com.unity.playablegraph-visualizer": "0.1.0-preview.1",

If there are now outstanding issues, the package will be whitelisted and thus available through the Package Manager UI.

Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    AndrewKaninchen likes this.
  2. florianhanke

florianhanke

Hi Romain,

It works very well, thanks! If you have specific questions, please let us know.

One thing I was wondering about was whether the Window menu option should be in the Analysis submenu so it does not clutter up the top-level Window menu.

Cheers!

3. sunrisebacon

sunrisebacon

I'm very new to the Playables API but as far as I can tell it works.

I've only used it with the Animator and I have a very hard time translating (in my head) the Animator graph to what the visualizer is displaying. It seems very abstract and doesn't really match the flow of animations. At least not in an obvious way.
    The only concrete information I can see is the name of the clip that is currently playing and only if I click the active Animation Clip.

Otherwise, I second Florian's point about putting the visualizer it in the Analytics submenu.

4. RomainFailliot

RomainFailliot

Unity Technologies

Hello!

Thanks for the feedbacks ;)
    I'll change the namespace, but I'll need to bump the major version (since it breaks the API)

I agree for the menu, I'll find another place to put it (probably Analysis as you said, but I'll need to check with our UX team).

As for the graph representation, the clips (on the right) are played and blended through the mix nodes going toward the root (on the left).

5. RomainFailliot

RomainFailliot

Unity Technologies

The package preview has been whitelisted, so now it's available directly from the Package Manager UI (if "Advanced > Show preview packages" is checked).
    upload_2019-1-3_17-52-20.png
    This is a first preview with exactly the same content as before (no API changes, and no Menu changes as discussed above).

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  6. Baste

Baste

I'll give it a spin.

I've had the visualizer in our project since it launched, and it's been pretty useful, so being able to delete it and have it as a package would be useful. Looking at the repo, I realize that I'm miles behind, and it's got a bunch of improvements semi-recently, so I'm very happy about this.

Do you know if there's any progress on plans for having packages include #defines? I've got some animation plugins that I've included the visualizer in. I'd like to remove the visualizer from them, and instead wrap the visualizer integration in #if PlayableGraphVisualizer, but afaik that's not possible right now?

7. RomainFailliot

RomainFailliot

Unity Technologies

@Baste A feature that looks like what you want landed in 2019.1. I've asked the devs for more information, I'll get back to you.

Baste likes this.
  8. RomainFailliot

RomainFailliot

Unity Technologies

@Baste I'll need to do some test, but it seems to be doable (might break the API though, since this feature appeared in 2019.1).

Baste and Lars-Steenhoff like this.