Search Unity

Playable Graph Visualizer

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by owen_proto, Feb 19, 2021.

1. owen_proto

owen_proto

I apologize as this is not strictly related to Timeline, but there is no other great place to give this feedback afaik.

The PlayableGraph Visualizer is still in preview but has not been updated in almost 2 years and is hidden in the package manager even when enabling preview packages. Is it just a dead product now, or what? Are there actually significant known issues that are keeping it classified as preview? If not, why make it inconvenient to import? It's just kind of annoying more than anything, but I also am having difficulty imagining the rationalization.

mandisaw and Zatchyo like this.
  2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

The company has made a commitment towards reducing the number of visible, unfinished packages and making sure we stopped pushing out things where we had no clear plan to release as a finished product and maintain it in the long term. This is a commitment we've made to improve the overall quality, predictability and reliability of the features we publish.

The playable graph visualizer is one of these. The person in charge of it left, and it had no clear owner to bring it to 1.0, so it got hidden.

I agree that this is not ideal, as I use it myself frequently, but at least for now it should not break, since we are also using it internally.

I will bring up your points with our product management team.

Can I ask in which context you use it?

mandisaw, spider853, fleity and 2 others like this.
  3. Radivarig

Radivarig

I'd like to visualize the graph from ecs animation examples, since the code that generates them is hard to understand.
    It would also be great to use the graph editor to create/edit graphs instead of connecting the nodes trough code.

(https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...ripts/Common/PerformanceTestGraph.cs#L76-L152)

Edit:
    Seems that the above repo doesn't use playables. I think I need dataflow graph instead:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.dataflowgraph@0.19/manual/index.html

But I don't think it has any UI at the moment.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Zatchyo likes this.
  4. merpheus

merpheus

I have a diferent usecase, I am using it with the motion matching plugin from asset store. Though, playable graph visualizer is having problems with scaling and all. It gets hard to read mixed playables through it during the debugging.

I wish at least it would have been partially maintained, not totally abandoned until someone takes ownership of it.

5. xiao-xxl

xiao-xxl

So what's the situation. If you give up, give up. Otherwise, continue to develop.

6. liyueyueniaoguangjun

liyueyueniaoguangjun

i look it before some time, so i have to make tool to show playablegraph for my timeline:( upload_2022-1-5_10-19-5.png

Midiphony-panda likes this.
  7. xiao-xxl

xiao-xxl

It's very cool!!!