Search Unity

Third Party Photon PUN - Is it enough to change App Version?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Paulx774, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Paulx774

Paulx774

I have an Android mobile game using Photon PUN. I'm making a new version of the game and changed many things in terms of multiplayer. I don't want the players using the old version to play with the players using the new version. In the game, I list available rooms, so I don't want the old version to see the new version rooms. Is it enough to change the App Version in Photon Server Settings to do this?

2. tobiass

tobiass

Set a GameVersion in the PhotonServerSettings. Different Game Versions (and even different PUN versions) separate players (so old and new clients never find one another).

Paulx774 likes this.
  3. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

I have a bit of strange question: Does the App Version field take multiple values as well? I'm asking becasue I just found out that iOS doesn't allow for more than 3 comma separated values in the version of my game, but the Android version already has 4, so I can't downgrade it to 3, nor can I use 4 in my iOS version (the game has been out on Android for a while).

I would take other suggestions you might have, of course, but I thought that maybe there is functionality for allowing exceptions in that field so that multiple versions can play together.

Thank you in advance!

4. tobiass

tobiass

The AppVersion string does not have to match the app's version from either store. So networking wise, you can have a 102 but use 1.0.2 in one store and 1.0.21.34 on the other. If matchmaking should be cross platform, make sure the AppVersion is the same in the matching clients.

DeathPro and TibiTibith like this.
  5. TibiTibith

TibiTibith

Oh, that's splendid news! Thanks for clarifying! In hindsight, I'm not sure why in the world I thought that the AppVersion should match the version on the store/s. This makes perfect sense! Thank you again for the prompt reply!

tobiass likes this.